Maejo University And Loy Krathong 2009

tampasailor

I am stateside now but will come back to LOS to film the big balloon release at the Maejo University outside of CM. Apparently Loy Krathong is 2nd November this year 2009 and last year they had the University balloon release the Saturday before the full moon. Does anyone have a contact at the University? I will bring a small crew with me and important that I hit the date right this time and would also be nice to have an email or phone contact at the University. This is quite something to see and if you have never been and you are in the CM area lets co-ordinate here and witness together. We should probably take a taxi to Maejo a day or two before to get a better pic of what will happen. I tried to get there two years ago the night of the event and the small dirt road was totally blocked by parade floats etc. I need to get up there in the morning this time 555

Here are some clips of the blocked road, This is not a prade but people and floats on the way to the University to parade :)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=74...maijo&hl=en

I can't help you with a contact but if the last time you went is two years ago, you might find things have changed somewhat in the meantime. The traffic problems you cite prompted the organisers not only to cater for the increased crowds but last year they changed the actual ceremony as well, scrapping the part where the monks' procession around the back of the dome for example. News of the event has spread far and wide and there seemed to be almost as many photographers as participants with people staking out the best spots very early. Serious TV crews and the like have scaffolding towers built....

The Chiang Mai Photographic Group organised a couple of mini buses last year to take members to the event and we'll be doing that again in 2009.

418963716_wt94N-L.jpg

Edited by Greenside

Is the Buddhist Center up there actually part of the University campus?

BTW, awesome photo Greenside! I've seen a lot of similar photos (on post cards, etc.) but none as good as the one you shot.

I don't think it is part of the campus. We've been twice and I thought it was better in 2007 (at least from the pictures I got) although those who went for the first time last year really enjoyed it. Thanks for your comment on the picture, more here if you're interested.

• 1 month later...
I can't help you with a contact but if the last time you went is two years ago, you might find things have changed somewhat in the meantime. The traffic problems you cite prompted the organisers not only to cater for the increased crowds but last year they changed the actual ceremony as well, scrapping the part where the monks' procession around the back of the dome for example. News of the event has spread far and wide and there seemed to be almost as many photographers as participants with people staking out the best spots very early. Serious TV crews and the like have scaffolding towers built....

The Chiang Mai Photographic Group organised a couple of mini buses last year to take members to the event and we'll be doing that again in 2009.

418963716_wt94N-L.jpg

Those are amazing photos, Loy Kratong is my favourite festival and these photos capture it perfectly. As elecktrified remarked they are much better than any postcards or prints you see.

• 2 months later...
I am stateside now but will come back to LOS to film the big balloon release at the Maejo University outside of CM. Apparently Loy Krathong is 2nd November this year 2009 and last year they had the University balloon release the Saturday before the full moon. Does anyone have a contact at the University? I will bring a small crew with me and important that I hit the date right this time and would also be nice to have an email or phone contact at the University. This is quite something to see and if you have never been and you are in the CM area lets co-ordinate here and witness together. We should probably take a taxi to Maejo a day or two before to get a better pic of what will happen. I tried to get there two years ago the night of the event and the small dirt road was totally blocked by parade floats etc. I need to get up there in the morning this time 555

Here are some clips of the blocked road, This is not a prade but people and floats on the way to the University to parade :)

It is this Saturday November 24.....

I am a professional photographer in Chiang mai and have a video site called Thaipods. Unfortunately, my video crew is unavailable that night with a paid job for the business and I am attempting to go not only shoot my still shots which is the most important thing for me as they will be images at my US opening in April, but also VIDEO for my site....If you are going to be here I am interested in talking about your video shoot...I have an XL1 that is available, but really don't want to be responsible to shoot the video and cart out my canon 1Ds and lenses and 2 tripods....LOL.

Hi everybody -- I kept hearing rumors that the Maejo khom loy event was cancelled, so we called an expensive hotel this morning posing as potential visitors. They said the event is happening, and that it was publicized in the Thai Rath newspaper. But I can't find it listed on the City Life or Bangkok post websites, and random Google searches produce conflicting information.

Does anyone know definitively (a) if it's going to happen on Saturday the 24th, and (B) if so, how early it's advisable to head out there? Finally, does anyone know of a decent, detailed listing of 2009 Loy Krathong / Li Ping events here in Chiang Mai?

thanks

broadabroad

Just to put this thread to bed...

They held the Mae Jo ceremony last night and the organisers (well, I assume it was they) told me there is no truth to the rumour that there will be anything happening out there next week. Last night's do was comfortably attended but the last minute will/won't they questions kept the crowd at less than the planned capacity because there were maybe 10 or 15% of the lamps unused. They have found a running order that is better than last year (at least from the photographic point of view) and a good time seemed to be had by all. The traffic problems turned out to be minimal.

Next year's event is scheduled for November 20th.

691642600_JBhM2-M.jpg

Yesterday's khom loy release at Mae Jo (taken by my wife).

They held the Mae Jo ceremony last night and the organisers (well, I assume it was they) told me there is no truth to the rumour that there will be anything happening out there next week. Last night's do was comfortably attended but the last minute will/won't they questions kept the crowd at less than the planned capacity because there were maybe 10 or 15% of the lamps unused. They have found a running order that is better than last year (at least from the photographic point of view) and a good time seemed to be had by all. The traffic problems turned out to be minimal.

691642600_JBhM2-M.jpg

Beautiful shot, and this is something I'll plan to see next November. Thanks for the information. I've been amazed at difficult it's been to establish the exact date, but am encouraged by your confidence in next November's event.

691642600_JBhM2-M.jpg

Beautiful shot, and this is something I'll plan to see next November. Thanks for the information. I've been amazed at difficult it's been to establish the exact date, but am encouraged by your confidence in next November's event.

691642600_JBhM2-M.jpg

691642600_JBhM2-M.jpg