Funny Thai Spelling Mistakes

you've all seen them on menus etc. just share them here in this topic! These are a couple I still remember:

- 8 years ago on Koh Phangan I saw a small pharmacy with a big sign outside saying: "first AIDS" instead of first AID!

- on Samui I saw a Thai woman named "Nut" (similar sound as in "good" or "food") opening a small massage shop which said on the window: "nut massage", I guess she had a lot of male customers, lol.

- in a menu I once saw: "crap dip" instead of "crab dip"

- the most puzzling one in a menu was: "fired swamp" which turned out to be "fried shrimp"

- and a local minimart in Kanchanaburi had a terrific sign saying: "buy 2 get one 1" (probably forgot to add "for free" hahaha)

hope u guys can share some!!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oddly enough I was at a new (to me) restaurant. Looking at the menu in Thai and English I could not believe how bad the English was and then when I got to one section of the menu and it stated - I kid you not

Crabs cooked in whore dust.

Shrimp cooked in whore dust.

and a variety of other seafoods all cooked in 'whore dust'.

Do they take shavings off some unseen lady bar and cook the food in those? The mind boggles.

Oddly enough I was at a new (to me) restaurant. Looking at the menu in Thai and English I could not believe how bad the English was and then when I got to one section of the menu and it stated - I kid you not

Do they take shavings off some unseen lady bar and cook the food in those? The mind boggles.

This had me puzzled but I had to laugh when I realised.

ผงกะหรี่........(pŏng gà rèe) means Curry powder

pŏng Means powder or dust or dirt

gà rèe is a loanword from Curry, but it's also a very crude word for prostitute.

So I guess that they must have used a dictionary, but chose the wrong translation options. Could have been cooked in Whore dirt

:)

Edited by loong

This had me puzzled but I had to laugh when I realised.

ผงกะหรี่........(pŏng gà rèe) means Curry powder

pŏng Means powder or dust or dirt

gà rèe is a loanword from Curry, but it's also a very crude word for prostitute.

So I guess that they must have used a dictionary, but chose the wrong translation options. Could have been cooked in Whore dirt

:)

I'm not qualified to comment on the accuracy of your analisys, but it sounds good to me. I was wondering.

Saw some woman with a T-shirt wth Bart Simpson on it yesterday, underneath it read 'The Simsons'...you would have thought the manufacturer would have at least got the spellling correct! :)

Prehaps she was taking the 'P'

My local ferang restaurant serves New Zealand Lamp ? :D Very bright

Dave

It happened to me the other way around, used the dictionary to find the Thai for " shower" as in getting clean, used fhon dhoc bao bao and I reckon they are all still laughing now three years later :)

Edited by Cobalt60

Saw some woman with a T-shirt wth Bart Simpson on it yesterday, underneath it read 'The Simsons'...you would have thought the manufacturer would have at least got the spellling correct! :)

My wife had a T-Shirt with the legend "Snow White & The Seven Pygmies" ........ I'm sure that there is a farang ex-pat helping with these designs just for his own amusement.

I have seen quite a few like this, probably rejects that west would not accept. So sold in Thailand where they don't care what it says so long as it is English.

"Black Pig Chop"

"Sapageti pad kee mao"

"French fried"

"Enjoy one evening with our beautifil hostages"

"if anyone sees or knows anyone who destroys the country or the nation y selling or doing illegal things, please report imedeadly!"

i eager to teach english in thailand and i am very happy to have this information.I will be gratefully if you can assist me to get one of the best schools to teach while you are already there. thanks,

The management of my apartment block has been trying to advise residents of the all-too-obvious fact that the interior of the lifts have been painted for the first time ìn 10 years.

They have tried:

Colour Pant Wet

Warming Wet Pant

Panting Wet

By the time some kind soul wrote out the correct words for management to affix to all the lifts, the paint was of course dry.....

After staying at a hotel in Chiang Mai and enjoying the muesli at the buffet, I emailed the chef and asked him how he prepares it. He sent me the following:

Dear Sir thank your very much for you enjoin

our breakfast buffet

provided at rest. we call that home made muesli

first you bay quick oatmeal

1 can, and quick whole wheat 1 pack,

and dries fruit as you like dry banana, raisin, or

dry apple, low fat

milk,

METHOD

boil milk, sugar and salt to test, 420 g.oatmeal,

200g whole wheat and dry

fruits cock 3-5 minutes stir occasionally,

hope you enjoin your cock,

regards, Chef Udom Tan,

They seem to consistently misspell the word 'angel' as 'angle.' I always get a chuckle when in Thai chat rooms and I see a name like DarlingAngle or 69SexyAngle69.

This reminded me of the very large hanging poster I saw in MBK advertising the new film 'Charlie's Angles'...

Prehaps she was taking the 'P'

My local ferang restaurant serves New Zealand Lamp ? :D Very bright

Dave

Hey, good New Zealand lamp is hard to find! Especially nice if it's been left to hang around just a little bit.

It's one of the things I do miss about NZ, export-quality lamp.

What restaurant, please?

/edited for typo.

Edited by noahvail

Great!

There used to be a small restaurant in Chiang Mai that also advertised "lamp chops", but I never got round to trying them.

We used to stop off at a resort on the road to Doi Inthanon for coffee and a snack. One day the manageress proudly presented me with their new "English" menu. All was fine apart from the usual "fired" instead of "fried", etc., until I came to the drinks page, to find that I could purchase a large "Cock" for just 15 baht! How such a common name as "Coke" got cocked-up like that I'll never know! At least I did get my Thai b/f to have a quiet word with the dear lady - the subsequent screams of mirth from the waitresses could be heard for miles! :)