Can You Work With A Marriage Visa?

Hi guys,

An American friend of mine previously had a marriage visa but currently has a retirement one. He's had a job offer. Can he switch back to the marriage visa, and if so does that mean he can work? Further, say you do have an existing marriage visa, do you still need a work permit if youre just working a few days a week?

thanks in advance, Glen

To best of my knowledge You will need a Work Permit with any kind of visa no matter how little you work :D:)

Correct, a work permit is required for any work, paid or unpaid, part or full-time.

And to answer the OP, yes you can get a work permit against a marriage visa/extension.

Should be no issue switching back to a marriage extension, there were reports in the past that a WP was also obtainable on a retirement extension but I've heard nothing recently.

It's better to have a Marriage "O" Visa than a "B" Visa for a Work Permit !!! Because if you quit or get FIRED they "CAN NOT TAKE YOUR MARRIAGE VISA FROM YOU" but with a "B" Visa you have 7 days to leave the country if you quit or get fired no matter how long you have left on your Visa !!!!!! So go "O" Marriage Visa !!! You will thank your self for it and when you renew it it's only 1,900 Bath if you do it your self !!!! :)

It's better to have a Marriage "O" Visa than a "B" Visa for a Work Permit !!! Because if you quit or get FIRED they "CAN NOT TAKE YOUR MARRIAGE VISA FROM YOU" but with a "B" Visa you have 7 days to leave the country if you quit or get fired no matter how long you have left on your Visa !!!!!! So go "O" Marriage Visa !!! You will thank your self for it and when you renew it it's only 1,900 Bath if you do it your self !!!! :)

Second that: They (Marriage Visa/Work Permit) in themselves are mutually exclusive.

You are greatly exposed, as Geckos mentioned above, with your "extention of stay"

contingent upon your Work Permit.

Second that: They (Marriage Visa/Work Permit) in themselves are mutually exclusive.

You are greatly exposed, as Geckos mentioned above, with your "extention of stay"

contingent upon your Work Permit.

Thanks guys,

Much appreciated. It seems the marriage visa plus work permit is the way to go.

I'm impressed with Thai Visa respondents grasp of the visa quagmire,

best, Glen

Actually when on extension (1 year) based on employment/WP, when you stop working you'll have to leave on the very same day!

You are however entitled to a 7 day extension, so you can at least pack your bags, but you have to apply for it, pay 1900 Baht for it, all on the day you stop working!

It's better to have a Marriage "O" Visa than a "B" Visa for a Work Permit !!! Because if you quit or get FIRED they "CAN NOT TAKE YOUR MARRIAGE VISA FROM YOU" but with a "B" Visa you have 7 days to leave the country if you quit or get fired no matter how long you have left on your Visa !!!!!! So go "O" Marriage Visa !!! You will thank your self for it and when you renew it it's only 1,900 Bath if you do it your self !!!! :D

But on the flip side if you get divorced you have to leave the same day if you are here on a marriage extension, but can stay if you are here on an extension based on work. So I guess everyone has to decide for themselves whether the risk of them getting fired or getting divorced is greater :)

Sophon

Have never seen anyone reporting being thrown out on divorce - they do not check that at present AFAIK. Most seem to be able to remain until end of current stay (although probably not by law).

Have never seen anyone reporting being thrown out on divorce - they do not check that at present AFAIK. Most seem to be able to remain until end of current stay (although probably not by law).

I agree that do nothing to hunt you down and throw you out of the country, and they probably don't check either the next time you do your extension for another reason. But as a general principle I believe that when your reason for extension ends (whatever that reason may be) so does your extension.

Sophon

I agree that do nothing to hunt you down and throw you out of the country, and they probably don't check either the next time you do your extension for another reason. But as a general principle I believe that when your reason for extension ends (whatever that reason may be) so does your extension.

But, if it's a particularly nasty divorce and/or the Thai spouse was particularly vindictive, they could contact Immigrations and make things very diffcult for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, myself and my Thai husband anre planning on opening a restaraunt. I am currently on Non Immigrant O, how do I go about applying for Marriage Visa/Work permit. Can I just go to local immigration and show restaraunts papers and my marraige visa? I had been under the impression that it was quite difficult to get one.

Hey, myself and my Thai husband anre planning on opening a restaraunt. I am currently on Non Immigrant O, how do I go about applying for Marriage Visa/Work permit. Can I just go to local immigration and show restaraunts papers and my marraige visa? I had been under the impression that it was quite difficult to get one.

There is no marriage visa, there is the non-O visa which you already have. You can extend that in Thailad if you are married to a Thai wife and have an income of 40,000 a month OR 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for 3 months.

To work you will need a work permit from the labour department.

I think she is a lady with a Thai Husband Mario. Relatively easy to get 12 monthly extensions. Different requirements to Men with Thai Wives.

Oops! :)

Yes, then it is much easier to get the extension, disregard my first answer as to the requirements. Your problem will be with getting a work permit but certainly not impossible if you intend to hire 2 Thai staff.

There is no marriage visa, there is the non-O visa which you already have. You can extend that in Thailad if you are married to a Thai wife and have an income of 40,000 a month OR 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for 3 months.

2 months bank deposit if you're married, 3 for retirement

More and more immigraiton offices only accept 2 months for the first exention based on marriage and then notify you that for the following extensions the money will need to be there for 3 months.

I'm not sure this will be her first extension, but as she is married to a Thai husband different rules apply anyway.

Post is wrong as the poster does not have to meet any financial conditions - only her husband will have to show some income.

As for the number of months - first application should be 2 months and others 3 months according tio most immigration offices. The publication of 2 months for marriage seems to have been a mistake.