Powercommander V, Dyno, Slip-ons And Import Duty

dunder

Hi again..

I have scanned through the threads in the forum and found some useful information. Not too much about what I'm about to ask now though. Can I get hold of Powercommander V somewhere in Bkk or do I have to order it directly from them? Where can I find someone with a Dyno that also can use this equipment properly and map the PCV?

This is not an urgent issue since I want to drive about 1000 km on my ZX-10r before I install anything..

What store is the best if I want to find a nice exhaust for my bike? I thought of ordering a Racefit Growler slip-on from U.K but these are expensive (around £500) and I don't really know how the customs will react.. I guess they will put on a nice import-duty on it..!? Is there any ways to get around the duty?

At last.. anyone know of a good "blacksmith" that can help me with build a new smaller "hanger" for the number plate (sorry - english is not my mother tongue, but I hope u understand what I mean anyways :) )

Peace,

Johan

Dirt Shop sells PowerCommanders and has a Dyno. Not sure if they have a qualified tuner on staff yet...

If you want to import a pipe and avoid duty best to have someone carry it over for you.

There are a lot of shops around Bangkok that import pipes. My first stop would be Red Baron. Red Baron also sells powercommanders and has a dyno but you would need to purchase a membership to use it.

As far as eliminating the fender there are a lot of aftermarket options available. Here are a few:

Kawasaki ZX10R Tail Tidy

http://www.demonbikes.com/more/on/details/6395

Active Tail Tidy for ZX6/ZX10R

151_2.jpg

http://www.twinshack.co.uk/prods/151.html

eBay:

2008ZX10R002_991239_large.jpg

Let the Good Times Roll!

31b.jpg

This one is awesome.. I looked it up on their website and the price is ok. I am about to send a letter to them but I need the dimensions of Thai number plates. Haven't got mine yet so I can't really measure it.. Does anyone have the width in their head or maybe someone can be Kind to measure it for me:)

peace,

Johan

Dirt Shop sells PowerCommanders and has a Dyno. Not sure if they have a qualified tuner on staff yet...

If you want to import a pipe and avoid duty best to have someone carry it over for you.

There are a lot of shops around Bangkok that import pipes. My first stop would be Red Baron. Red Baron also sells powercommanders and has a dyno but you would need to purchase a membership to use it.

As far as eliminating the fender there are a lot of aftermarket options available. Here are a few:

Let the Good Times Roll!

You seem to be a Rock BigBikeBKK...

I will look into the options you have written about although a qualified tuner is of utter importance.. There might be some other shops in the bkk-area that has one. How about D.S performance? Have u got any clue what they usually charge for a PCV and tuning it on a dyno?

peace,

Johan

I am about to send a letter to them but I need the dimensions of Thai number plates. Haven't got mine yet so I can't really measure it.. Does anyone have the width in their head or maybe someone can be Kind to measure it for me:)

peace,

Johan

Hey Johan,

Not sure why the size of the plate matters since you'll need to drill a couple of holes in it anyway to bolt it to the tail tidy. Check out my 30 Baht tail tidy :D

0309ER6Sm.jpg

2 L brackets and some anodized hex bolts. Took about 5 minutes and cost about 30 Baht :)

Some day I'll add some turn signals. :D

Ride On!

You seem to be a Rock BigBikeBKK...

I will look into the options you have written about although a qualified tuner is of utter importance.. There might be some other shops in the bkk-area that has one. How about D.S performance? Have u got any clue what they usually charge for a PCV and tuning it on a dyno?

peace,

Johan

LOL- well, if you're referring to the hardness of my head or the contents of my skull you might be correct :)

There are a few other dynos around Bangkok. Jammers on Chok Chai 4 has one and apparently an English speaking tuner as well. That's a Harley shop but I've heard they'll tune rice rockets too. Never been there so no idea about prices. There are some other shops with dynos but I'm sorry I can't remember the names off the top of my head. I think if you do a search of ThaiVisa you might find them.

Give Dirt Shop a call to find out what they charge:

map-dirtshop(21).jpg

As I mentioned earlier, you'll need to purchase a membership at Red Baron to have access to their dyno and tuner. I think membership is 10,000 Baht. Give 'em a call to confirm:

RED BARON BANGKOK 78 Ramkahmhaeng Rd., Saphansoong BKK 10240

Tel : 02-729-4131-2

Happy Trails!

Tony

I am about to send a letter to them but I need the dimensions of Thai number plates. Haven't got mine yet so I can't really measure it.. Does anyone have the width in their head or maybe someone can be Kind to measure it for me:)

peace,

Johan

Hey Johan,

Not sure why the size of the plate matters since you'll need to drill a couple of holes in it anyway to bolt it to the tail tidy. Check out my 30 Baht tail tidy :D

0309ER6Sm.jpg

2 L brackets and some anodized hex bolts. Took about 5 minutes and cost about 30 Baht :)

Some day I'll add some turn signals. :D

Ride On!

Thanks again Tony..

It looks good! The reason I asked about the width is because of the "Werkes"-design/construction.. Now when I see your plate I believe the thai plates are to wide and will cover the turning signals already. I still would like the width in centimeters. Werkes might be able to customize it before shipping :D

Peace,

Johan

Johan,

I just remembered that the Porsche shop on Vihpawhadi Rangsit road have a dyno that a lot of Thai racers use. They charge 1000 baht for a power run and 8-10000 baht for a full powercommander re map. They do most of the race bikes in Thailand. You can have your PC mapped for race fuel or benzine 95.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Johan,

I just remembered that the Porsche shop on Vihpawhadi Rangsit road have a dyno that a lot of Thai racers use. They charge 1000 baht for a power run and 8-10000 baht for a full powercommander re map. They do most of the race bikes in Thailand. You can have your PC mapped for race fuel or benzine 95.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Sounds great Tony.. I'll check it up as soon as I get my new exhaust and PCV. Which my take a while due to import-duty-technicalities:)

Peace,

Johan

Johan,

Happy Trails!

Tony

Sounds great Tony.. I'll check it up as soon as I get my new exhaust and PCV. Which my take a while due to import-duty-technicalities:)

Peace,

Johan

Have someone from the States carry it in for you when they fly to LOS....that way you only pay 277 USD for it and avoid all the import taxes.

I went out do dirtbike to check out their Powercommander prices. If I bring my own PC they will charge 7500 for tuning my zx10. If I buy a PC V +set up+ tuning it will cost 19 000. This seems to be a decent deal since powercommander V cost around $350 on their own website. My next question is a bit more technical. I never spoke to a "tuner" but I tought that maybe someone here has special knowledge about this. Should I buy PC III or PC V and why??

peace,

Johan

I went out do dirtbike to check out their Powercommander prices. If I bring my own PC they will charge 7500 for tuning my zx10. If I buy a PC V +set up+ tuning it will cost 19 000. This seems to be a decent deal since powercommander V cost around $350 on their own website. My next question is a bit more technical. I never spoke to a "tuner" but I tought that maybe someone here has special knowledge about this. Should I buy PC III or PC V and why??

peace,

Johan

If they're going to tune your bike for 7500 (check and see if that includes installation), that's not too bad IMHO. Consider the fact that technically (don't know if it's in actuality), Power Commanders aren't warrantied/serviced at official DynoJet stations unless purchased there. So for an extra 11 500 THB they're selling you a PC V at the all in price; not bad since that's not outrageously expensive.

The differences between the PC III and PC V are as follows:

Size, the PC V is much smaller

Power connection, the PC V does not need the 9v source when plugged into your laptop

Accesory 2 map switch, the PC V allows two seperate maps to be stored and used

Gear input, the PC V lets you adjust the map depending on gear and RPM rather than the PC III which is based only on RPM (up to 24 tables)

Analouge input, allows you to adjust maps depending on input from a 0-5v sensor (good for boosted engines)

Increased amount of fuel added, the PC V allows up to +250% (the PC III only +100%)

Extra throttle position column, the PC V allows greater granularity on the tables

AutoTune, an accessory allows you to automatically get a 'good' mapping for your particular bike

I'm sure there's more differences, but that's what I've been able to glean so far. My recommendation is to go for the PC V. It's the way forward, and there's little cost difference between the two models. The acceories that are coming out for the PC V shame those offered for the PC III.

Thanks alot Dave.. I posted a similiar question on a swedish superbike-forum. Got a lot of responses there. With your response added to them there is no doubt I should go for the PCV. The only problem is what you said about the Warranty.. I thought about that issue also, but I guess I'll buy the whole package from Dirtbike anyways. Now I only have to get the slip-on and I'm up for some tuning:) If you haven't seen it before - Look at this clip (cant post url:s, but this probably help you find it) "youtube.com/watch?v=vU4BexzC0v0"

31b.jpg

This one is awesome.. I looked it up on their website and the price is ok. I am about to send a letter to them but I need the dimensions of Thai number plates. Haven't got mine yet so I can't really measure it.. Does anyone have the width in their head or maybe someone can be Kind to measure it for me:)

peace,

Johan

This is the answer I got from Werkes about this particular fender eliminator and if I can use it with Thai Number Plates.. Always nice to deal with people/companies that know about their products:) [and of course I sent them the measures of numbers plates in Thailand]

Johan,

It would be very tight on the signals..... but, I think they would clear.......

Its the height of the plate thats the biggest change.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Shawn

--

Shawn Ryan

Competition Werkes Inc

Edited by dunder

Competition Werkes has a good reputation for undertails
I've just had the Compwerkes fender and rear turn signals eliminator installed on the 848. The license plate goes under the pipes and the signals into the rear air vents.

848_compwerkes_edit-1.jpg

Rustic, That looks fairly good, I take it the turn signals inside the airvents don't actually fill the air vent?

I sent my Honda VTX 1800 with PC III, Cobra duals and Hypercharger Pro down to Jammer on Friday for a re-map. Andy did the dyno work and I'm quite satisified he knows what he's doing. I had the recommended map already loaded onto the PC III and the first run netted 79.12 HP with 96.09 # torque. With his map, based on his dyno readings and F/A readings, the bike put out 83.37 HP with 98.48 # torque and in my opinion a much smoother feel when going through the gears. His charge was 4000 baht. Jammerharley can be reached at 02 514 1297.

• 2 weeks later...

hey again.. reviving a dead thread. I had to wait 3 weeks for dirt shop to order a PCV fitting my bike so I decided to buy one in Sweden (even more expensive than in Thailand - but I just couldn't wait since I got my new Growler exhaust the other day, which btw sounds like the monster of monsters :) ). My friend arrived with the box on sunday morning and on wednesday I'll install and map the PCV on the dyno.. The cost is 7500 when bringing your own powercommander and hopefully they will do a good job. Update coming when I get the bike back!

The guy in dirt shop said he would also tune a Yamaha R1 on wednesday.. anyone here tuning his/hers R1? Coolfusion maybe? (I'm pretty sure it is a R1 on your avatar:))

peace,

Johan