Live Rugby League

^^ Mate, great call.

Worthy of a Grand Final. Sorry I wasn't here to read it live, but have enjoyed the afternoon reply.

So, what does the premier League writer do now for entertainment during the Northern Hemisphere off season?

BTW, don't forget the Aus vs. Kiwis next Saturday night in Townsville.

^^ Mate, great call.

Worthy of a Grand Final. Sorry I wasn't here to read it live, but have enjoyed the afternoon reply.

So, what does the premier League writer do now for entertainment during the Northern Hemisphere off season?

BTW, don't forget the Aus vs. Kiwis next Saturday night in Townsville.

Well, we've also got the Alitalia European Cup, and then a tri-nations competition between England, France and Wales.

I might give the keyboard a bit of a rest in the closed season, but I've got heineken Cup rugby coming up next week. I'm vainly hoping we might get some RaboDirect ProXII games shown... and the Autumn tests.

I'd have liked to see them in the other order - Tonga first before they've had a chance to gel as a team, and then an upbeat go for back to back wins against the Saffers, and of course our first ever win against the All-Blacks (I hope Bonobo's not reading all this off-topic digression...) but as it is, our first game is against a NZ team which is at the peak of their preparedness, with a brief respite after the Championship. I can see us facing Tonga with a demoralised side decimated by injuries...

That said, Ross Ford has said they'll be going into the first game with the belief that they can beat NZ; I think it would have been more convincing if he had added "In this life, anything is possible" in an affected Indian accent, and bobbled his head...

SC

I've no sympathy for you SC....simply you were being stingy with the Bru.....don't even try denying it!

I've saved a couple of cans for the replay in a couple of hours' time...

EDIT: Though I suppose turning around an 8-point deficit in a television replay is a bit of a long call; I'm glad I can't put money on it here...

Edited by StreetCowboy

Just a reminder to those of you who live locally, Smokie, Pigeonjake:

SCOTLAND v IRELAND - ALITALIA EUROPEAN CUP - SUNDAY 14 OCTOBER - 2pm KO at Meggetland, Edinburgh (Boroughmuir RFC) - tickets Adult: £10 Con: £5 Under 16's: £3

SCOTLAND v ENGLAND KNGIHTS - ALITALIA EUROPEAN CUP - SUNDAY 28 OCTOBER - 2pm KO at Meggetland, Edinburgh (Boroughmuir RFC) - tickets Adult: £10 Con: £5 Under 16's: £3

EDIT

And, of course, a week later, Thailand v Philippines at Bangkok's Royal Thai Police Stadium

I don't have a kick-off time for that.

SC

Oh, and elsewhere, there's a trans-tasman game on, I think, and England play Wales and France later in the month

Edited by StreetCowboy

Well, we had a piss-poor sevens at the Gold Coast, leaving it till the semi-finals of the Shield on day two to win our first game; Edinburgh got thrashed at home by Saracens with another bloody Charlie Hodgson charge-down, Glasgow squandered an early lead to lose at Northampton, but the biggest disappointment of the weekend surely was losing to Ireland in the Alitalia European Cup at Meggetland

Scotland 18-30 Ireland, in front of a dismal 726 attendance "it wiz too cauld"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/19945386

SC

The Challenger Cup qualifying round and first round draws have now been announced; qualifying matches clash with the Alitalia European Cup final leg, so, like Edinburgh Eagles, we will decline to participate, preferring to concentrate on our international duties. Scotland, boasting four players from the Scottish champions, take on England Knights next weekend, after the Knights have been to Belfast to meet Ireland.

http://www.edinburgheagles.co.uk/Edi...STATEMENT.html

So much for the Wembley dream...

SC

You'll be surprised to hear that the Autumn internationals are not being shown on Eurosport - surprising, since they showed the Trans-Tasman Test, and normally show the Four Nations.

Wales, smarting from a defeat in France, entertain England, while the England Knights, their 2nd XIII, travel to Meggetland to meet Edinburgh tomorrow, after their 4 - 56 victory in Belfast. Scotland, propping up the table going into this final match, need to win by 27 points to lift the Alitalia European Cup.

There's coverage of the Wales England game on BBC radio, by the way, but I'm off out for a drink with a friend from the old country - and a penguin, to boot. Not literally, him being a much bigger bloke than me; perhaps "...a penguin, as well" might have been a safer way to phrase it...

SC

England scrape into the final of the Autumn internationals with an 80 - 12 win over Wales in Cardiff.

They meet France at Salford City Stadium at Barton on Irwell in a fortnight's time...

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Congratulations to the England Knights as they lift the Alitalia European Cup with a 62 - 24 win over Scotland at Meggetland in Boroughmuir, Edinburgh.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/other-sports/rugby-league-knights-on-top-but-scots-take-pride-in-performance.19276571

Meanwhile, their senior compatriots play France on successive weekends, in the Autumn internationals, culminating in a final to decide the top nation in the Northern Hemisphere, at Salford City Stadium, Barton-on-Irwell.

SC

• 4 weeks later...

SC ... if you get bored in the off season ... you could always turn your hand to cricket commentary.

49.5 Steyn to Wade, no run, another short ball from Steyn, Wade ducks under it

49.4 Steyn to Wade, no run, the bumper from Steyn, Wade gets across and ducks under it

49.3 Steyn to Wade, no run, on a length around off, Wade pushes it towards the off-side

49.2 Steyn to Wade, no run, tad fuller and on off, Wade gets forward and defends it towards cover

Steyn to Wade, no run, on a length around off, Wade gets across and defends it towards square leg

From here

Edited by David48

I was re-reading this thread, and before I get hauled up on a lese majeste charge, can I apologise for omitting my acknowledgement of the guest of honour at the Challenge Cup Final. Himself a first round partipant in years gone by with Exeter Uni RLFC, Scottish Schoolboys cap and son of the Patron to the SRFU, it was an honour to be in the presence, by the wonders of live satellite television broadcasting, Of Mr Peter Phillips, eleventh in line to the throne of the United Kingdom and other Royal Realms

SC

I'm glad no-one else drew note to that omission, or I could've been commentating from the Bangkok Hilton next season

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Slightly off-topic, but I'm limbering up for the start of the season in just over a month's time with a repeat of the Grand Final. Despite being a Man Utd fan, my son is taking no interest in the most exciting game to have been played at Old Trafford last season - and he doesn't even know the result!

SC

• 2 weeks later...

SC ... if you get bored in the off season ... you could always turn your hand to cricket commentary.

49.4 Steyn to Wade, no run, the bumper from Steyn, Wade gets across and ducks under it

49.3 Steyn to Wade, no run, on a length around off, Wade pushes it towards the off-side

49.2 Steyn to Wade, no run, tad fuller and on off, Wade gets forward and defends it towards cover

Steyn to Wade, no run, on a length around off, Wade gets across and defends it towards square leg

From here

I think cricket lends itself better to text commentary...

Am looking forwards to the NRL season. Hope I get to see some games this year.

From here

You have the WCC at Headingley to look forward to, first, a few weeks after the start of the Superleague season. I think that the only time I watched that was in the York, in Dubai. Will you be going up to Leeds?

SC

Two weeks to go to the start of the Superleague season, and Astro are showing scenes from last season's Grand Final in their "Europsort - All sports" trailer, though they're not publishing any schedule times yet.

The second round of the Challenge Cup was drawn on Friday - but there's still a couple of rounds before the big boys join. You may recall Edinburgh Eagles, Scottish champions, withdrew, because of their players' international commitments which clashed with the first round fixtures, and the RFL would not allow them to reschedule.

SC

• 2 weeks later...

The answer of course is that two threes are six....or a short line out.

Can you explain the reason for mixibg these up SC?....feel free to get your codes in a tangle just for once.

I'm counting down the days, so I am. And to add to the arithmetical conundra, there's the NZ Sevens to look forward to, Friday and Saturday this week. Apologies for the digression, but we've got a challenging pool, with Portugal surprisingly topping the seeding, ahead of Fiji, and Australia third in the pool - bearing in mind that we put Australia out of the Bowl in Dubai...

Anyway, I'll try and record that if its on live...

I'm not sure if the Wire game is going to be on the wireless, yet

SC

The sleeping Bear ends his hibernation as the thaw settles around him ... well it would if he back in his home habitat ... rolleyes.gif

NZ 7's you say ... humm, first I've heard of that.

I'm anticipating an enlarged audience (can I say that on the public forum?) with viewers from as far afield as Vietnam this coming Saturday...

The sleeping Bear ends his hibernation as the thaw settles around him ... well it would if he back in his home habitat ... rolleyes.gif

NZ 7's you say ... humm, first I've heard of that.

I'm anticipating an enlarged audience (can I say that on the public forum?) with viewers from as far afield as Vietnam this coming Saturday...

Seemed to have survied overnight as a comment.

Though maybe an 'enlarged member audience' would not ... though it depends on how you read it ... rolleyes.gif

BTW the 2013 NRL Draw has been released here

The first big game of the 2013 NRL season starts with this, the All Stars game.

Will you be going to the game? there's a good chance it will be on Astro.

I like Suncorp stadium, though I've never actually been inside; I watched the England Wales game from one of the bars in the park, unaware that my dear old father's uncle's family were inside with a spare ticket... If you look at the video footage, they're the ones sitting next to an empty seat

SC

Apologies for the off-topic digression, Bonobo. Won't happen again.

Going to the Game ... No.

It used to be held on the Gold Coast, but due to popularity, got moved to 'Lang Park' ... as we historians of the game refer to it.

I've actually played on that hallowed turf ... but a long, long time a ago ... when it still was Lang Park.

My Dad (bless his soul) used to take me to games there.

Back in the days of woodedn seats, a grassy hill and ... much to my amusement at the time as a 6yo ... the fact then men used to uninate through the chain wire fence ... a visual image that is still with me today.

AH ... the good old days ... crying.gif

From here

You have the WCC at Headingley to look forward to, first, a few weeks after the start of the Superleague season. I think that the only time I watched that was in the York, in Dubai. Will you be going up to Leeds?

SC

No but I will probably put off going back this year so I can stay for the World Cup in November.

Can you believe that after all that anticipation, I slept in?

I didn't set the alarm properly, and I woke up at half time!

"He most ceurtainly did, Allan; he was like a great sloomburing beur "

"He ceurtainly was, Ray. A sloomburing beur"

Anyway, its 6 all Leeds - Hull FC

Goodness - and Leeds break on the wing, but the man is bundled into touch - not before he offloads desperately and the supporting player knocks on

Leeds push Hull back again, and kick for the corner, but the ball is fielded well, and Hull bring it away. Galea breaks to make valuable yards, Yeaman takes it over the half way line and the kick on the last tackle finds touch at the corner post. Can the Hull FC defence force a mistake from Leeds?

No. Instead they give away a penalty for hands in the ruck, like a teenager in the cinema, so it was. And that gives Leeds another attacking opportunity. Sinfield kicks across the pitch but too far

And Jamie Peacock gives away a penalty and Hull are up over the Leeds 30 m line. 20 m line. 10 m line. Chris Green takes it another few metres, then a kick across field but McGuire is able to field it but he;s bundled back by Galea, into his own goal area under the posts, according to the referee, though you and I might beg to differ.

And Hull's loose passing would have been punished if McShane hadn't knocked on as he dropped on the ball to gather it. Instead, Hull have an attack from the half way line, and knock on... I guess there must be a lot of cold paws out there...

But not Kevin Sinfield's! A long skip-pass sees him take the ball about seven metres out, spin through a tackle and over the line to give leeds the lead. With his conversion, its 12 - 6.

Edited by StreetCowboy

And a high tackle on Jamie Peacock sees Leeds attack again. Rob Burrows darts right and left, passes back to the middle of the pitch, and Jamie Peacock crashes over under the posts. 18 - 6. Brian McDermott been given an indefinite contract, and he's looking resolute - presumably he's saving his smile for the Grand Final again this year... apparently Leeds have won their last 12 opening fixtures, and this is looking no different.

Leeds are attacking again. A kick from near the middle of the pitch, and Hull FC bring the ball back but under pressure from the chasers. It's Hull's turn to kick and Zak Hardacre fields the ball comfortabley. Ryan Hall nreaks on the wing and the ball goes from one wing towards the other, but the defence is up to it for the time being, but Chris Clarkson finds a gap and scores Leeds' fourth. Applause from Brian McDermott, and is that the slightest hint of an upturn around the corners of the mouth? He doesn't want his smile worn out this early in the season....

Steve Ganson awards a Hull scrum for a forward pass, and Hull are held ten metres out. Galea offloads from the tackle, but Hull can't get through the Leeds line, and Kirk Yeaman loses the ball forward in the tackle.

And quick hands from Leeds bring them over the half way line, and Superleague's record try scorer adds his two-hundred-and-second for Danny McGuire. And Sinfield adds his fifth conversion. More applause from McDermott, but he's not going around recklessly grinning. Not this early in the season.

And the commentators are digressing to the World Club Challenge in three weeks' time at Headingley.

Peter Gentle is not looking happy there in the stands.

Kevin Sinfield kicks off the base of a scrum and Leeds are looking for more. Four minutes to go, and Chris Clarkson charges for the line on the last tackle, but he's been brought down,

And Ryan Hall breaks on the wing, shrugs off one tackle, makes another thirty metres and he;s brought down but he slides over the line to touch down, and Sinfield brings it up to 36 - 6

And there's a big smile from Brian McDermott - he might be needing that one, later in the season...

An impressive display from Leeds, and a disappointing result for Hull FC, who did not look outclassed by any means, and at Barton-on-Irwell, Wigan leading Salford 42-0

On Sunday, we have Warrington - Castleford to look forward to...

Welcome back to Superleague!

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy