Live Rugby League

And another offload in an imppossible situation has gifted St Helens posession...

and Warrington Hodgeson knocks on on his own try line, he just manages to ground the ball himself before Adi Gardner comes through like a torpedo - Goal Line drop out... should have been a scrum to St Helens, I think, for the knock-on,

St helens beginning the second half as they began the first, on the front foot.

And James Roby is off after a series of off-loads, OFFS - passes to Shenton and hes...

he's dropped it. What a let-off for Warrington.

Penalty for a high tackle on Hodgeson

Warrington are attacking with enthusiasm and purpose and Joel Monaghan goes over in the corner di da da da, di da da da, da dada da da, di da da da.

Oh- worry worry...

"This will really put the fat in the fire if this goes over for Warrington"

but its safely still in the frying pan.

and now the Saints fans are on song...

Now its Saints turn to cough the ball up, and Warrington run a penalty but can't get through and Brett Hodgeson takes his eye off the ball and knocks on...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

St Helens get a repeat set of six after snuffing out a Warrington attack in mid-field, and Soliola powers his way over for a try that might put the match out of reach for Warrington...

And as a bit of a consolation, Ryan Atkins scores the best try of the night, kicking through and gathering to score to bring the score up to

Warrington 16 - 28 St Helens

and Warrington lose the lead as Huddersfield beat Leeds

and I'm off back to bed

SC

Excellent try there at the end for Wire...but Hull march on victorious against Bradford while St Helens move ever closer.

Think that's been coming SC...your side have been riding their luck a little?

St Helens were the better side; Warrington were making reckless mistakes, and the St Helens defence seemed watertight. Warrington had to make some desperate tackles in defence when Saints broke free from their own half

SC

EDIT: I see that win lifts you into second above Warrington! and with a game in hand as well...

Excellent try there at the end for Wire...but Hull march on victorious against Bradford while St Helens move ever closer.

Think that's been coming SC...your side have been riding their luck a little?

St Helens were the better side; Warrington were making reckless mistakes, and the St Helens defence seemed watertight. Warrington had to make some desperate tackles in defence when Saints broke free from their own half

SC

Agree. You looked undisciplined at times. Bit of work needed mind you are still a good side.

'Uddersfield top? Turn up for the books innit?

In the end I didn't watch much of the London Wakefield game, concentrating on the tokyo Sevens.

Next week, at the more sensible time of 2145 on Friday, it being Good Friday, I have Wigan at the new Langtree Park stadium against St Helens, repeated on Saturday lunch. Then in the evening, before the Edinburgh Toulouse Heineken Cup quarter-final, The Boat Race, though I might watch the varsity rowing instead, as I am trying to cut down.

Its a little hasty to rely on the Astro schedules so far in advance, but something to look forward to, all the same. I'll not stay up late for the Warrington Widnes commentary on thursday nght, as I have work in the morning... Wire play again on Monday away in Perpignan, which might be televised...

SC

If only your forwards were showing such discipline...

Well, we'll see. We can all speculate on what we might do in given circumstances in the future....

Que sera, sera, as they say on the road to the Argentine.

SC

SHould I get up at 3 am on friday morning for the Wire Widnes game, given that I've got work at 0830, and the Wigan St Helens game is on that evening, and then Catalans v Wire on Monday night?

SC

Perfect for me as its Good Friday and I'm off until Monday afternoon.

A quick aside regarding Diggers....I walked along Dalry Road...was standing across the road with my itouch primed to take a few pics....but the place was rammed inside and out with Hearts fans.

Not time or place...

I am back on Friday afternoon so I'll get a few shots in then (no pun intended in any way).

A few pints might be in order though....

If you are interested in the Australian RL, there are two games on the Good Friday.

South Sydney vs the Bulldogs, 4pm Aussie time (daylight saving finished last week-end), 1pm thai Time.

Wests Tigers vs Brisbane Broncos 7.30 pm so 4.30 your time.

Smokie, I know that you don't give a rats ... but SC might be interested?

My girl arrives that day (Easter Friday) and I have a romantic evening planned with her watching the Wests Tigers vs Brisbane Broncos game ... I know she will be excited also!

If you are interested in the Australian RL, there are two games on the Good Friday.

South Sydney vs the Bulldogs, 4pm Aussie time (daylight saving finished last week-end), 1pm thai Time.

Wests Tigers vs Brisbane Broncos 7.30 pm so 4.30 your time.

Smokie, I know that you don't give a rats ... but SC might be interested?

My girl arrives that day (Easter Friday) and I have a romantic evening planned with her watching the Wests Tigers vs Brisbane Broncos game ... I know she will be excited also!

I shall still be at work. I might run home to catch the end of the Broncos game, but I've got loads of stuff to do; money laundering, character assassinations (3 off), becoming a better person, make use of my new bog brush - its really going to be an exciting weekend... working on the Saturday morning, as well.

And then before the big game (Wigan - St Helens), the boat race! There's Super XVs on all Saturday as well, I really am spoilt for choice...

SC

What am I talking about? The boat race is before the Heineken Cup QF on Saturday. Tomorrow's Wigan St Helens game is the main event.

Anyway, I can't face staying up for the Wire Widnes game, so I'm afraid you're on your own for that one, Smokie. Let's hope Widnes don't embarrass us as they did Wigan a couple of weeks back, but more importantly, let's hope we don;t embarrass ourselves, as we did in the first half last week...

SC

You'll find the Hull match is the main event tomorrow. It starts a minute after my taxi arrives on Dalry Road so that should be interesting...

Well done tonight by the way....top of the league!

Unfortunately Astro are only broadcasting the Lancashire game.

Good luck tomorrow against your neighbours Hulking Stonerovers; you've still got a game in hand beyond that to take you top...

I was reading the match reports on the BBC web site - 1,800+ is not much of a crowd, particularly for a place the size of London, on derby night, though I suppose London - Perpignan is not a traditional derby game...

SC

Well done there, Smokie - 36 - 6;

But are you sitting comfortably for

ST HELENS v WIGAN, from Langtree Park...

"electric atmosphere, and hopefully, an atmosphere which will match - the match!"

SC

Ooh - and Tommy Makinson knocks on the first kick - Wigan scrum on the St Helens 20...

and a big let-off for saints as Bret Finch spills a pass ...

the crowd are certainly on song

'Oh when the saints...'

3 1/2 minutes into the game and no-one has settled into a rhythm

Its nervy stuff "I think both sides want to get that killer blow early on"

Fierce defending sees St Helens pinned behnd their own 30 m line

A bit of extra spice, he didn't like that, and this game is bubbling up nicely

Lance Ohia kicks into the corner, Sam Tomkins dashes across, drops on the ball and is calttered by Jones as he stands up, spilling the ball forward fro Frances Meli to gather and score on the touchline

St helens 4 - 0 Wigan

Wigan pick up a stray pass, and a tackle later Daryl Goulding goes over to equalise "for the first time the Saints defence stretched out on that left hand side" and Charnley kicks the extras - St Helens 4 - 6 Wigan

"We can talk all night about the quality of these two sides but both coaches know the importance of defence"

Wigan are making good yards in the tackle, but they lose the ball forward on the St Helens 10 m line

My apologies - I lost about five minutes through taking too long to make an edit...

including a second Wigan converted try

Wigan are taking control of the game, and keeping St Helens under pressure.

And right on queue, Ade Gardner charges into the Wigan defence, winning back to back penalties, after a bit of pressure St helens kick through and Sam Tomkins takes the ball over the dead ball line for a goal line dropout.

St Helens come back, 3rd tackle on the 10 m line, St helens kick, blunder into the defender and the attack peters out...

and at the other end of the field, Soliola holds up Hughes for a 20 m restart and St Helens are away brightly, but they're kicking from too far out, but Wigan kick the ball out for a goal line dropout

Halftime sees the teams go in with Wigan leading 12 - 4

St Helens are piling on the pressure, for three penalties in a row, and Brett Finch gets a public warning and Soliola goes over for a try

Its all Saints now, with another penalty inside the 10 m, but Roby has knocked it on

Wigan work it up the field, and Sam Tomkins slices through the St Helens defence to touch down and its St helens 10 - 18 Wigan.

Wigan charge through on a loose pass and Charnley dives for the line, but St Helens bring the ball back from their own goal line

And Wigan break again, chip over and the attacker is held back chasing to the touchdown... Penalty try? No, but Shenton is shown the yellow card, and immediately after the dropout, Gareth Hock goes over, and receives a warning for taunting the St Helens fans; Charnley slices the kick - 22-10, St Helens with only 12 men for the remainder of the game... and they'll be struggling if they keep passing behind the man.

And Loulai sets up Jeff Lima to steam over like an express train "the dominance of these Wigan forwards has been intense" "Glum faces from the Saints supporters"

and Jon Wilkin goes off with a shoulder injury, with less than a minute to go.

And that is it - 28 - 10 to Wigan for the first derby at Langtree Park

SC

Oh dear oh dear,

Thomas Bosc goes over after a length-of-the-field break to put Catalans 10-0 up within eight minutes

"its a stuttering start from Warrington" as Lee Briers gets sandwiched a few yards out from the Catalan try line, and the Dragons win a penalty in the middle of the park. Maybe Warrington are showing a bit of fatigue after their Thursday night game against Widnes ...

Mickey Higham looks too sharp for the Catalan Dragons, and ducks under the tackles to go over in the Perpignan sunshine

Not looking good for Warrington - not until they break 40 metres of the scrum , but still they're trailing 22-12 at half time, and Chris Riley takes a long time to get up... and aother error sees the ball handed back to Catalans.

And after withstanding everything that Warrington can throw at them, Daryl Millard breaks for Catalans to take it out to 30 - 12. That must be more or less my bedtime now...

SC

And that's a fairly sound drubbing. Catalans were lethal in attack and robust in defence

Catalans 44 - 16 Warrington, with half a minute to go

And Huddersfield are going to win against Hull as well

SC

We took a battering. Well i wasn't expecting that from 'Uddersfield!

Battered smokie? doesn't seem right to me - not in my chippie.

Reminds me of a joke, I'll not bore you with the whole thing, I'm sure you know it well, but the punch line is "That's what I've been trying to tell you!"

I'm enjoying a Coronation Day holiday with back to back rugby league repeats; first your thrashing of the Stonerovers, and now a repeat of posts 382 - 385 above...

Its like Deja Vu, but without the topless dancers...

SC

Archived