Live Rugby League

I expect you'll all be having a chuckle at my expense... I buggered up my recording of Saracens - Ulster so I'm stuck with only the one-sided Castleford - Huddersfield game for entertainment today.

I'll not be staying up for the Leeds Warrington game tonight, even though its on Astro

SC

I'm going to record a repeat of the Saracens Ulster game tomorrow, but now I've got a recording of Queensland COwboys Penrith Panthers game on the TV, the Harlequins - Munster Heineken Cup game on streaming video, and on the Wireless from the B B C - Hull FC v Catalans... I might be switching to Salford Widnes, though, or even Hull KR v St Helens, if Thadeus is joining us. Richard Silverwood at the KC Stadium, but where is Ray French?

SC

Allan Rooney is covering the Hulking Stonerovers - St Helens game - he sounds more like Ray French than Ray himself

And Widnes are 6-0 up in the first five minutes.

Wigan are hosting Wakefield Wildcats. I hope our David is in bed already, or he'll be having nightmares...

Catalans have kicked a penalty, Widnes stretch out to 10 - 0 up, and - well, better not to say what's happening at the DW

And at the KC Stadium, Crookes has scored for a dubious first try to HFC to take the lead.

Widnes continue to heap more misery on struggling Salford 16-0

Edited by StreetCowboy

And Wakefield have the lead at the DW Stadium 10 - 12.... now 14 - 12 to Wigan.

Bit of excitement at the KC and HFC have a scrum 15 metres out. Now pressuring the Catalans' line but they can't break through the defence. Dragons have scored a second penalty goal while I was distracted...

At the Stoop, Harlequins trail Munster 12 - 18 - you might recall that London Broncos' game was moved to Wycombe Wanderers' Adams Park ground to preserve the pitch for today's Heineken Cup Quarter Final.

And its Hull FC 4 4 Catalan Dragons at half time.

I'm going to distinguish myself from Eddie Waring again by going to be bed; a quck run round the grounds first...

Munster into the HC Semifinals after 80 minutes at the Stoop

Hull KR 10 - 10 St Helens

Widnes 28 - 12 Salford

Wigan 30 - 12 Wakefield

I'm going to bed to dream of a repeat of the Challenge Cup Final and not the Grand Final when Warrington travel to Hedingley

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

We stormed the Dragons 28-4 and only three points behind Wire....who i must say are having a torrid time of it this season.

Wouldn't you agree SC? Ray? Anyone?

I blame myself for not getting up in the middle of the night for the Leeds game. Anyway, not even half way into the season yet, but Wigan are setting the pace, as usual.

I was feeling a bit homesick, on the other thread, about the chap going back to Salford (he says Wilmslow, but we know what he means), but of course it's all changed now they've built the big shopping centre and stadium out by the Locks.

You turn your back for fifteen years, and look what happens!

Anyway, it's a non-working weekend this weekend, so I'll plan my vegetating in front of the television tomorrow... Its a league weekend in the union calendar, so to speak, there's no IRB Sevens and the Asian Five Nations doesn't start till the following week...

SC

• Like 1

The Catalans are back in England this evening (morning, for us) at Langtree Park (0200 Thai Time); the other game on Eurosport is Sunday night's Wakefield Warrington game...

I might try and catch a bit of Salford Reds v Hull, but Castleford Widnes is on too late for me to listen on the wireless. I'll maybe be in the pub anyway...

SC

Right then, boys, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, first we're observing a minute's silence for Arthur Thomas late former director of St Helens, Wigan and Leigh.

I think we may be welcoming the Thai political establishment tonight, gentlemen, your royal highness...

and tonight we welcome Catalan Dragons to Langtree Park... remember - anything could happen in the next eighty minutes.

Despite early pressure, its Catalans on the Saints goal line after 13 minutes, with a penalty, but the home fans are cheering some aggressive defence. Millard had a gap there, but he didn't get the ball in time

"What a great start to the game, scoring shouldn't be easy" and Saints have got the turnover to try and work the ball away

And Catalans have sliced a penalty attempt, and attack again into the Saits half

And a bobbling kick through is missed by Saints, and it bounces up for good old Steve Menzies to knock on in goal, and Saints work the ball out from the 20

And Catalans counter-attack, and Frederic goes over for the first try of the night (morning) - Saints 0 - 6 Catalans, much to the delight of the small band of Dragons supporters

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

I'm live ... thanks for the commentary ... thumbsup.gif

BTW ... Aussie vs KIWIs ANZAC Test match this Friday.

I'll be in Bangkok for that, unfortunately. Well, fortunately, but not convenient for the commentary (I hear you all sigh with relief)

A penalty, a kick to touch, a clever Steve Menzies pass out wide, some quick running on the wing and an ambitious pass back inside sees Morgan Escare go over for Catalans' second

Notstupid30 will be pleased to read that Sale are leading Gloucester 22-6 in the other code, while surprisingly league leaders Glasgow are on the wrong end of a 29 - 6 drubbing by Scarlets down in the Principality, while tenth-placed Edinburgh are scraping a 21-16 margin at home over ninth-placed Connaught. Ulster, hot on glasgow's heals, are looking comfortable 31-5 up at home to NorthGwent Dragons

And a couple of minutes into the second half, Saints break, some slick passing and Soliola reaches out to score a try for St Helens

Edited by StreetCowboy

And a penalty goal sees Catalans restore their two score advantage, while at Murrayfield, Edinburgh have once again snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, in front of their loyal crowd of sympathisers.

And another penalty goal for Catalans stretch their lead to 16 - 6, while the commentators are remarking on the North Wales Catalans Supporters' Club...

Saints break from near their own line, Catalans can't get back in defence and Simon gets a yellow card for lying on so long in the tackle the referee thought he'd fallen asleep.. game on!

Soliola is stopped a metre short; last tackle, and Catalans break in counter-attack

And Saints get the benefit of the extra man towards the end of Simon's sinbinning, to bring the scores within four points.

Four thousand at Murrayfield, bytheway, which is more than their normal dismal crowd. Next round, Glasgow will be looking for more still, as Scotstoun will have the temporary seating up for the glasgow Sevens

A last-minute attack on the Dragons' line falters as a pass to the wing goes astray, and Leon Pryce breaks - can he go the length of the ,,, no, he can't. His support is slow to arrive and the Saints line resets, but Henderson reaches out to score a final try for Catalans and they win again at Saint Helens; the last time Saints won a home tie against Catalans, it was at the Stobart Stadium!

Saints 12 - 22 Catalans; meanwhile Leeds finish 30 - 6 over London.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

And you join us at Castleford, where they have just kicked off against Widnes under the watchful eye of Richard Silverwood. And the commentator is on our case already, with his cautionary warnings "I think the Tigers will explode today"; I'll be careful opening the cans...

And Castleford suffer a bit of nerves in the first minutes, while I can tell you, to Smokie's relief, that Hull FC triumphed 18-12 in Salford - maybe notstupid30 won't be going back after all...

Tomorrow, Warrington travel to Wakefield, by the way, David....

and the Castleford skipper Shenton is helped off the field after being stretched out motionless during the last play

Castleford's Rangi Chase kicks for a 40 - 20 but the ball bounces unpredictably - unpredictably into the arms of the onrushing Clare, who is hauled down as he crashes over the line for the first score of the afternoon

And a well-worked move in the corner sees Castleford stretch their lead. The first tiger didn't explode, by the way, but there's plenty more to come...

But Paddy Flynn races down the right-hand side to add to his two tries against Warrington on Good Friday to narrow the gap

Rees Hanbury dives across from acting scrum half into Rangi Chase's legs on the try line to score a second for Widnes, and this game is shaping up to be far more exciting than I had anticipated...

12-10 after twenty minutes

and Widnes burst through, Jon Clarke finds himself in space, and like Yuri gagarin, he puts his foot down and leaves everyone in his wake for a third try (not entirely sure which code Gagarin played - possibly more famous for his Ice Hockey exploits, commemorated in the European Gagarin Cup... by the way, did anyone else watch Scotland's Bronze Medal triumph over Denmark in the World Championship Curling in Victoria last week?)

And it looks like Richard Silverwood's pointing finger will be quite worn out, as Widnes score their fourth try in ten minutes as Phelps goes over, after the Castleford defence couldn't get back in time (should've spoken to Pu Sing...)

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

And this is turning into a veritable try-fest; Castleford scored while I was looking for the Melrose Sevens, and now after a poor drop-out, Patrick Ah Can has scored a fifth try for Widnes, and they lead the home side 26 - 16.

A contrast from the stingy (tight, even) defending of last night...

and Castleford hammer on the Widnes goal line as the half-time hooter draws close, and sounds...

Edited by StreetCowboy

The second half starts tighter than the first, but a Castleford 40 - 20 leads to Jordan Thompson going over
and the conversion makes it 22 - 26 in the 58th minute

and the impetus has swung Castleford's way as they go over again to regain the lead, but Widnes are back on the attack, trailing now by two points as we enter the last ten minutes

And Widnes are hammering the Castleford line, but wild passing sends them back 20 metres, and they attack on the last tackle, out to the wing, a charge, a dive but held up a metre short, and Castleford work back and kick to half way but Widnes attack in the last two minutes; they're ten minutes out and they get a penalty for a high shot, giving them a kick for the draw

... BUT IT'S MISSED and Castleford scrape a win in the Tigers' new coach's first match, lifting Castelford off the bottom on points difference, and notstupid30 will not be pleased...

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Sorry I'm late, Ray, David... I got waylaid in Sid's watching MU - Stoke, sorry Allan

And I join the game ten metres from the Trinity Line... Ratchford is brought down OOOH ! Roars from the Trinity fans in front of Allan, Ray and I and now four and a half minutes into the game Wakefield hands touch the ball for the first time, and win a penalty...already trailing 6-0

And Warrignton are clearly up for it, as they RUN back from Ratchford's try under the posts, as Brett Hodgson steadies himself - perhaps he was in Sid's as well, and it's 12-0 to the visitors

A good try from Trinity - three tries in fourteen minutes "worth the journey, Ray; let's have a leuk, can he get tweu for Wakefield" theur's quait a stronge wind awt, and he's 'avin' a bit of trubble gettin' the ball teu stand oop on thu teee"

12-6

SC

And Ryan Atkins goes over in the corner, "theur's teuw mooch paice in tha' Warringgton saide"; to be honest, I prefer listTeningG on the Wairless to Ray and Allan, in preference to the television with Eurosport.

And Wakefield's stadium is now called the Rapid Solicitors, which doesn't sound good for a struggling superleague team... I can't help thinking that 'hungry vultures' would have been no less inspiring. And Wigan are giving Bradford a good thrashing at Odsall, and Monaghan's scored; to be honest, the defence is scarcely worth commenting, and Warrington are scoring so quickly I can scarcely keep up. They trail Wigan by four points in the League table, and two hundred points' difference, but they're not making up much ground this evening

And Riley is held out a few metres from the line, and sound Wakefield defence keeps them out, and Wakefield will be happy to come away from the line without shedding any more points... 24- 6 so far in the first half

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

Warrington have their hard men out - Morley, Higham, Paul "Hitler" Wood, Monaghan, but they're still missing Lee "rommel" Briers.

They're complaining about the advantage rule, by the way. Warrington drop out from under the posts

And Peter Fox has finished well to narrow the gap. "Ai Laik this centur, Peter Collins, Allan" "But he didn't delay and he's left a difficult wun, and this needs some kicking, boot what can Saikes deu with this, with the conditions sooch as thaiy arrr, let's have a leuk, boot it's waived away..."

Warrington skyed the ball, it bounced kindly for Wakefield, Peter Fox took it well, handed off the Warrington player and Ryan Atkins got hold of him, but Fox's momentum took him over the goal line for his second try in a few minutes.

Sykes is having trouble getting the ball to stand up - I know the feeling, having been in Sid's for the first half of the MU game, but he's converted it, and Warrington have kicked out on the full for the second time in succession, and Hodgson puts his hand sot his forehead. Warrington have to keep Wakefield out, or they'll be going in full of confidence....

"Brait soonshain, Ray, and soom brait roogbeh, Rey"

"I still have the feelinG WarrinGton mait roon awey with this in the last 20 minoots"

I'll bet Notstupid30 can't wait to get back to Barton on Irwell

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

And the second half starts; Warrington playing downhill but into the wind

And Warrington are in some trouble here, as Wakefield force a goal line drop out

Warrington still on the defensive, penalty to Wakefield

"Warrington are desperately hanging in here, Allan"

It's not often that panic makes Ray lapse into such clear English

It's try time at the Rapid Solicitor's stadium and it's Wakefield scored the last three tries

WAK - 22 - 24 WAR

they're not really hounding down Wigan...

Warrington pressure the Wakefiledline they're held out once, twice but thrice is too much, and Stephan Ratchford flew over the try line

And Warrington score again "... it could be all over" "It is all over, Ray"

A very brave effort by Wakefield Trinity but Warrington have pulled away...

Edited by StreetCowboy

"They won't go away, Allan, and they score again! Kail Weud saw daylait and he's oveur for anoother trai; the conveursion is oveur... Seven minutes is a long time, but 12 points the difference

.. And a Brett Hodgson drop goal extends Warrington's lead, but it's not all over yet

And Warrington win some bright football - high scoring but very entertaining at the Rapid Solicitors (if you call it Bellevue) stadium. Next weekend is the challenge cup, by the way

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

My apologies, gentlemen, for my absence over the weekend; the only game I caught live was the thriller between York and Toulouse in front of 431 paying spectators, if the BBC web site is to be believed. I was on the bus home from the airport... York trailed 12 - 18 at half-time, but recovered to lead 24 - 18 midway through the second half. Toulouse recovered, but at the final whistle a penalty goal separated the two teams, and York go through to the fifth round 30 - 28 victors. Hull FC routed Crusaders, so Catalans are the only foreign team to progress.

Huddersfield Giants scraped through 13 - 4 at Batley, while Hull KR knocked St Helens out. In a close-fought Cumbria derby, Workington edged Whitehaven by 16 to 12. Highest score of the round 82 for Salford against Gloucestershire All Golds, Wakefield and Warrington progressed against lower-division sides.

I think the draw for the fifth round of the Challenge Cup is later today...

Wembellee! Wembelleee!

SC

EDIT: I've still got the Trans-Tasman test recording to look forward to ...

Edited by StreetCowboy

Manly are the most detestable club in the NRL!!

Is that because we have been the most succesfull over the last two decades?? And I would beg to differ, surely the Melbourne Storm or bulldogs and their filthy supporters would have taken over the mantle??

Challenge Cup fifth round draw

Catalan Dragons v York City Knights

Hull FC v Wakefield Trinity Wildcats

Workington v Widnes Vikings

Hull KR v Wigan Warriors

London Broncos v Bradford Bulls

Warrington Wolves v Salford City Reds

Huddersfield Giants v Leeds Rhinos

Sheffield Eagles v Halifax

Ties to be played on the weekend of 11/12 May

Wakefield to be the first victims of Hull's Cup winning side of 2013....

Challenge Cup fifth round draw

Wakefield to be the first victims of Hull's Cup winning side of 2013....

Wakefield to be the first victims of Hull's Cup winning side of 2013....dry.png

Well ... I won't know the result as out illustrious commentator, the Cowboy with the microphone

400_F_47700099_jaxisaNOmKGBqqmEM1Q95HZzu

... is off the streets and resting somewhere in preparation of the visiting team arriving in his City.

Apparently this will be some contest as the home side has a long track record of quality staying and knows the cut of the grass well.

The interstate challenger is a seasoned veteran, has been layed low with a recent illness and this is his first real challenge first up after a spell.

He did have a few barrier runs against a Dog and a Fireman ... but they, according to the challenger, mere lightweights.

Enjoy ... drunk.gif