British Passport Cost Rises 7% From September

According to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office the cost of renewing a UK passport overseas (i.e. in Thailand) is currently adult 10 year 24 page = GBP 124 and 48 page equivalent is GBP 150 (a lot more than prices quoted in the original Daily Telegraph article...anyone know why?).

I need to track down the new rate and find out how early I can renew mine, expiring March 2010. Any thoughts?

According to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office the cost of renewing a UK passport overseas (i.e. in Thailand) is currently adult 10 year 24 page = GBP 124 and 48 page equivalent is GBP 150 (a lot more than prices quoted in the original Daily Telegraph article...anyone know why?).

I need to track down the new rate and find out how early I can renew mine, expiring March 2010. Any thoughts?

Foreign and Commonwealth Office This link will tell you about passport costs outside the UK.

I don't know why they are so much more expensive. It seems a little unreasonable to me but that's the nature of the current government.

There's no indication of price increases outside the UK, anywhere I've looked so far. If I find something I'll post.

From what I read on MSN.co.uk was. They aren't selling as many in these recessionary times, so profits are down. So once the recovery is under way and orders go up, the prices will be back to normal won't they? My arse they will :)

Foreign and Commonwealth Office This link will tell you about passport costs outside the UK.

I don't know why they are so much more expensive. It seems a little unreasonable to me but that's the nature of the current government.

There's no indication of price increases outside the UK, anywhere I've looked so far. If I find something I'll post.

This is the site for UK renewals. Identity and Passport Service

When to renew your passport

When renewing a passport you don't have to wait until your passport runs out. You can apply at any time. If there is any time left on your old passport, IPS will add it to your new passport, in whole months, up to nine months. IPS cannot carry over more than nine months from your old passport to your new one.

You can renew your passport whenever you wish, but you must pay the full fee. No refund can be given for any unexpired time left in your old passport.

When renewing a passport you don't have to wait until your passport runs out. You can apply at any time. If there is any time left on your old passport, IPS will add it to your new passport, in whole months, up to nine months. IPS cannot carry over more than nine months from your old passport to your new one.

You can renew your passport whenever you wish, but you must pay the full fee. No refund can be given for any unexpired time left in your old passport.

When my passport has filled up in the past, I have got the nine months (extra bonus months); but; I would urge all British Nationals to petition the UK Passport Agency to re-introduce the ' Jumbo' passport which had 94 pages. These were discontinued in 1988.

This is very useful info, thanks. I wish I had known it when I went to extend my visa for a year last week. I got the extension but now I have to go back to immigration again before March to get a stamp in my new passport.

This assumes I will be able to take both old and new passports to immigration. Does the (UK) embassy give you your old passport back or do they keep it, as a rule?

Edited by ianh68

If there is any time left on your old passport, IPS will add it to your new passport, in whole months, up to nine months. IPS cannot carry over more than nine months from your old passport to your new one.

I've been in contact this week with the British Embassy about exactly this point. They have advised me that it is no longer possible to carry over unexpired time to new passports. New passports are for 10 years only and that's it.

Are they mistaken or is there something I am missing here?

This is very useful info, thanks. I wish I had known it when I went to extend my visa for a year last week. I got the extension but now I have to go back to immigration again before March to get a stamp in my new passport.

This assumes I will be able to take both old and new passports to immigration. Does the (UK) embassy give you your old passport back or do they keep it, as a rule?

Yes you do get your old passport back. It just has corner cut off the data page - so cannot be used for travel.

The UK government tried to justify the last round of exhorbitant passport fee increases, saying that the additional revenue is to cover the costs of providing consular assistance to distressed Britons abroad.

Just another hidden tax - consular assistance is practically non-existant, and those that are eventually repatriated are not allowed to travel until they have paid it back.

My main complaint with the British embassy here in Bangkok...........is their own interpretation of the Baht/pound exchange rate.

It is a disgrace and an outright con.

I believe, even if you try and pay in sterling, they will only accept baht.

Last i saw it was 58 baht to the pound a few weeks ago.

This alone makes UK passports even costlier.

Edited by robbiecia