Not Necessary To Close The Borders, Yet

george

PM: Not necessary to seal country

BANGKOK: -- It is not yet necessary to seal the country to control the spread of H1N1 flu, as recomnmended by Chulalongkorn Hospital doctors, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Wednesday.

However, the matter will be raised on Thursday when the cabinet meeting will consider further action such as closures of tuition schools and internet shops from which the flu was said to have spread.

The Public Health Ministry on Wednesday reported 290 addition cases of H1N1 flu, bringing up the total to 2,718 with 11 deaths.

Mr Abhisit said the government will try to keep close watch on those infected to prevent more deaths.

A committee had been set up especially to take care of four flu patients who were seriously sick, he added.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-07-08

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the drink-driving death numbers from the Songkran holiday will always be more deadly than this flu. Although now that it's mutating into treatment resistant versions of itself, who knows.

closing borders from spreading the virus in the region or from preventing it coming into the country?

prime minister has to understand, that it's about a pandemic - spread of the illness all around the globe. Even the flu virus at the beginning of the 20th century spread all over the borders

Neither the USA or Mexico closed their borders.

I think that it would have a draconian effect on tourism and those who hold jobs associated with tourism,there would be no "High Season" and dramatically reduce bookings that are being made for 2010

closing borders from spreading the virus in the region or from preventing it coming into the country?

prime minister has to understand, that it's about a pandemic - spread of the illness all around the globe. Even the flu virus at the beginning of the 20th century spread all over the borders

It would be good if you read the original post well before writing. It is not the Prime Minister who is advocating the closure of the borders.

Edited by kjun12

OMG, sometimes the xenophobia here is astounding. The virus is HERE already. Closing the borders is absurd unless Thailand wants to protect OTHER COUNTRIES. The cat is out of the bag. You can kind of see where this is going. If this gets really bad here, guess who is going to be BLAMED for it?

Edited by Jingthing

PM: Not necessary to seal country

BANGKOK: -- It is not yet necessary to seal the country to control the spread of H1N1 flu, as recomnmended by Chulalongkorn Hospital doctors, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Wednesday.

However, the matter will be raised on Thursday when the cabinet meeting will consider further action such as closures of tuition schools and internet shops from which the flu was said to have spread.

The Public Health Ministry on Wednesday reported 290 addition cases of H1N1 flu, bringing up the total to 2,718 with 11 deaths.

Mr Abhisit said the government will try to keep close watch on those infected to prevent more deaths.

A committee had been set up especially to take care of four flu patients who were seriously sick, he added.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-07-08

Thailand (by means of the Chulalongkorn Hospital doctors) is the first country, as far as I know, who speaks of "sealing a/the country" :)

IF that would happen it would be a death sentence for Thailand's economy and tourism.

LaoPo

//Edit: changed font format of quoted text back to the original, as it is against forum/netiquette rules. A note to all members: Please don't make such changes. From the rules:

2. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

I just came back from the UK. On the news there they were saying that they've given up trying to control it and expect 100,000 people a day to come down with the virus soon. As it stands now, however, it is just like regular flu- no more or less lethal.

Of course opinions may chance once everyone who thought they had recovered turns into a brain-eating zombie.

I think that it would have a draconian effect on tourism and those who hold jobs associated with tourism,there would be no "High Season" and dramatically reduce bookings that are being made for 2010

Many do not know that when the WHO declared a level 6 for the H1N1 that

any country has the option to close its borders without notice. No one in and no one out. Just a heads up.

Perhaps the drink-driving death numbers from the Songkran holiday will always be more deadly than this flu. Although now that it's mutating into treatment resistant versions of itself, who knows.

Amen, and how about enforcing the traffic laws? How many lives would that save? In many places the double lines have been worn out from vehicles crossing them.

What do ya mean no high season. There is no high season, there will be be no high season and it's unlikely there will be another high season.

When you got your head in the sand what does a high season look like :)

Edited by john b good

And of course Chulalongkorn doctors represent the Thai elite. Egads!

They do actually. Chulalongkorn doctors are some of the best I've dealt with.

Lots of people in the U.S. said to close the border with Mexico when the first bout of swine flu broke out. Why should we badmouth Thailand because some doctors advocate a similar policy.

And of course Chulalongkorn doctors represent the Thai elite. Egads!

They do actually. Chulalongkorn doctors are some of the best I've dealt with.

Lots of people in the U.S. said to close the border with Mexico when the first bout of swine flu broke out. Why should we badmouth Thailand because some doctors advocate a similar policy.

Because the flu is already here to stay.. but don't worry crossing the street is more dangerous in Thailand...

Closing borders makes NO SENSE once the virus is widespread in a country. I do fault the Thai doctors for this absurd idea. Also, I don't recall any elite US doctors or the CDC ever suggesting the US border be closed. Yes, there are always Mexican-phobic redneck types eager to demonize foreigners. I am talking about educated scientific elites. Yes there are stupid xenophobes in all cultures but one hopes that a country's elites are not like that. Sadly, some countries are like that. Frankly, I am more worried about the political fallout from this than the flu itself.

Edited by Jingthing

The UK has joined other western countries in accepting it's almost impossible to stop the spread of swine flu, see:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/14...-strategy-shift

This is a logical conclusion and once reached, resources can be better used in treating patients, educating the public and concentrating on higher risk groups such as those with breathing problems etc. Fortunately swine flu has proven less deadly than even normal seasonal flu.

Unfortunately, in Thailand there's a lack of understanding thus the Govt is (rightfully) concerned over panic potential and must also try to pacify the public while trying to tackle the flu at the same time (and Puea Thai MP's running around whipping up flu-fear along with the reds blocking the hospitals the Health Minister visits isn't exactly helping).

Hopefully Thailand can get past the fear stage by continuing to educate the public on prevention, ie, use proper hygiene and common sense. The Govt needs to devote more time and resources to focus on higher risk groups, not on pacifying.

Companies in Thailand could also use this as an opportunity for developing contingency plans for future outbreaks or potential disruptions of any kind, ie; Cross training staff, readying a critical staff replacement list, work from home contingencies and so on (Shell for one example is doing as above).

Some local media seem to be gleefully fanning flu-fear for ratings, or in the case of Puea Thai, exploiting fear for cynical opportunism. Despite all the hype, the reality is there are thankfully few deaths (all 11 unfortunate deaths thus far in Thailand were complicated by vthe ictims having other pre-existing conditions),

Hopefully hype gets replaced with knowledge and Thailand can devote scant time and resources where better needed (like the UK, US, etc. are doing).

OMG, sometimes the xenophobia here is astounding. The virus is HERE already. Closing the borders is absurd unless Thailand wants to protect OTHER COUNTRIES. The cat is out of the bag. You can kind of see where this is going. If this gets really bad here, guess who is going to be BLAMED for it?

Burma folk? Ohh wait those are the ones they blame murders and rapes on...

ummm the evel farang?

Closing borders makes NO SENSE once the virus is widespread in a country. I do fault the Thai doctors for this absurd idea. Also, I don't recall any elite US doctors or the CDC ever suggesting the US border be closed. Yes, there are always Mexican-phobic redneck types eager to demonize foreigners. I am talking about educated scientific elites. Yes there are stupid xenophobes in all cultures but one hopes that a country's elites are not like that. Sadly, some countries are like that.

But makes a great headline to suggest that the issue is the dastardly big outside world. People are dying right now at a much quicker rate than in countries with better health systems.

There is virtually nothing they can do, but I would like to know what is the standard recommended treatment in Thailand from the state hospitals for this virus.

I spent 5 hours at Siriraj Hospital last Sunday. It seemed that everybody there had the flu except me. I didn't wear a mask, didn't hide, and didn't get sick. The flu goes around every year. What bothers me is the stupid Bangkok Post. Announcing another swine flu death, when the people they are talking about died of cancer during brain surgery, or kidney failure from years of drinking and partying. The weak die from the flu every year, it isn't because of it being the swine flu. Pandemic doesn't mean epidemic. Pandemic hype to epidemic proportions. paw leaow!

The UK has joined other western countries in accepting it's almost impossible to stop the spread of swine flu, see:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/14...-strategy-shift

This is a logical conclusion and once reached, resources can be better used in treating patients, educating the public and concentrating on higher risk groups such as those with breathing problems etc. Fortunately swine flu has proven less deadly than even normal seasonal flu.

Unfortunately, in Thailand there's a lack of understanding thus the Govt is (rightfully) concerned over panic potential and must also try to pacify the public while trying to tackle the flu at the same time (and Puea Thai MP's running around whipping up flu-fear along with the reds blocking the hospitals the Health Minister visits isn't exactly helping).

Hopefully Thailand can get past the fear stage by continuing to educate the public on prevention, ie, use proper hygiene and common sense. The Govt needs to devote more time and resources to focus on higher risk groups, not on pacifying.

Companies in Thailand could also use this as an opportunity for developing contingency plans for future outbreaks or potential disruptions of any kind, ie; Cross training staff, readying a critical staff replacement list, work from home contingencies and so on (Shell for one example is doing as above).

Some local media seem to be gleefully fanning flu-fear for ratings, or in the case of Puea Thai, exploiting fear for cynical opportunism. Despite all the hype, the reality is there are thankfully few deaths (all 11 unfortunate deaths thus far in Thailand were complicated by vthe ictims having other pre-existing conditions),

Hopefully hype gets replaced with knowledge and Thailand can devote scant time and resources where better needed (like the UK, US, etc. are doing).

I agree with you 100%

The one thing I have to say is that the PM or his string puller, seem level headed about it. Dismissing the idea, and willing to talk about closing down schools to prevent wide spread. I wonder if they did close down schools for how long, and why stop at schools and NET Cafe's? why not tescos and big-c, and central, any place with a large group of people?

I sure hope panic does not become wide spread. I also worry like jingthing pointed out is the potential pollitical fallout this has... interesting times ahead (as if Thailand was ever dull)

And the odds the response will be so rational are what do you reckon? I don't like what I have seen so far. Thailand is NOT ready.

Only the fact that the idea pops up in the heads of lawmakers to consider closing the country is ludicrous. Not only it shows that the government does not have a clue how porous the border is. Besides the fact that Burmese, Cambodians and Laotians can cross almost at will and unhindered, thousands of people have already been diagnosed. They are within the borders of Thailand and therefore there is no way they can prevent the spread. It is a good thing to proof to the yellow shorts that they do everything to make an isolated banana republic like country out of Thailand and that is what they really want.