The Best Lunch Time Buffet With The Best Food Content And Best Price

riley76

:) over a two year period i have sampled, all the lunch time buffets at the major hotels in Chiang Mai what else does an expat do, [well me anyway].when he is in town

In My considered opinion :D the Lanna Palace Hotel ,on Changlan road, is, The very best, with an International buffet, and an excellent Thai menu. salad bar, and fresh fruits ,plus a sweet counter, coconut ice cream [oh a sushi section with Salmon] :D coffee, tea. water,

Why am I doing this post, well, one, i think you should know about it, and just now, all the hotels are suffering from lack of customers.If Thailand suffers we all do :D and we could help a bit, theres talk of lay offs, around town

Lanna palace does quite well,though. Other members might have a different choice, I consider Mountain View hotel to be next best, but cramped, and THE "names" to be not,as nice or as good value How do i decide to place Lanna palace hotel number one :D

:D quality. service, even though its a buffet menu , very large choice excellent fare, :D great ambiance and Best Price all inc: 130 baht plus entertainment, plus a menu change daily

so if you can, get on down make your choices, a poll any one,? lets help ourselves and the lower paid

lunch 1130 am to 2pm 7days I am just a customer :D and I know good value when i see it riley76

:) over a two year period i have sampled, all the lunch time buffets at the major hotels in Chiang Mai what else does an expat do, [well me anyway].when he is in town

In My considered opinion :D the Lanna Palace Hotel ,on Changlan road, is, The very best, with an International buffet, and an excellent Thai menu. salad bar, and fresh fruits ,plus a sweet counter, coconut ice cream [oh a sushi section with Salmon] :D coffee, tea. water,

Why am I doing this post, well, one, i think you should know about it, and just now, all the hotels are suffering from lack of customers.If Thailand suffers we all do :D and we could help a bit, theres talk of lay offs, around town

Lanna palace does quite well,though. Other members might have a different choice, I consider Mountain View hotel to be next best, but cramped, and THE "names" to be not,as nice or as good value How do i decide to place Lanna palace hotel number one :D

:D quality. service, even though its a buffet menu , very large choice excellent fare, :D great ambiance and Best Price all inc: 130 baht plus entertainment, plus a menu change daily

so if you can, get on down make your choices, a poll any one,? lets help ourselves and the lower paid

lunch 1130 am to 2pm 7days I am just a customer :D and I know good value when i see it riley76

I have not tried the buffet at the Lana Palace, but plan to the next time I am in the mood for a buffet. I completely agree that helping out the businesses in Thailand helps Thailand.

My favorite lunch buffet Mondays - Fridays, is hands-down at the Amari Rincon. The price of 375 baht includes tax and tip, coffee, tea, and water. The food offered is all fresh, including Thai and western, and is not your standard fare. They always have a fresh backed desert along with ice cream, a variety of cakes, mouse, and fresh fruit. It's obviously more expensive than the Lana buffet, and therefore I look forward to trying the Lana, but, the food is really consistently excellent at the Amari Rincon.

Personally speaking I think the Empress takes alot of beating for all round value, especially at 160b with a discount card. Lanna is OK but IMO, totally outclassed by the Empress. Bums on seats says it all. However taste is in the mouth of the beholder.

I'd be interested to hear about the Amari, as the price difference is huge compared with Grandview, Park Hotel, Lanna and Empress etc. Is the Amari clientele more tourist based? Are there many foreign Chiang Mai residents eating there regularly and does the menu feature Western dishes heavily, since the price seems to reflect that. Looking forward to any feedback.

regards Bojo

Lanna Palace: Assuming you are talking about the lunchtime buffet on the ground floor, I couldn't disagree more! The one and only time I ate there I was totally disappointed by the poor food, poor choice and pretty miserable surroundings including a second rate pianist. I can't think of anything that would tempt me to go back.

I used to eat often at the Grandview and although the selection doesn't change much from week to week, the quality was far superior to the Lanna Palace. The Amari buffet has a smaller choice but the quality of the food is great and on the few occasions I've been the menu has been very different.

This topic has been done to death hasn't it?

Personally speaking I think the Empress takes alot of beating for all round value, especially at 160b with a discount card. Lanna is OK but IMO, totally outclassed by the Empress. Bums on seats says it all. However taste is in the mouth of the beholder.

I'd be interested to hear about the Amari, as the price difference is huge compared with Grandview, Park Hotel, Lanna and Empress etc. Is the Amari clientele more tourist based? Are there many foreign Chiang Mai residents eating there regularly and does the menu feature Western dishes heavily, since the price seems to reflect that. Looking forward to any feedback.

regards Bojo

The Amari has approx. 35% Thai to 65% western dishes. The clientele is equally mixed (farang/Thai). One thing I failed to mention is that the service is superb, especially compared to the Grandview (I have not been to the Empress or as previously stated, the Lana). What stands out at the Amari is the way the dishes are prepared. The lettuce at the salad bar is hydroponic and the dressings are not the same old fare. The other dishes are completely different than what I have experienced at most buffets. They have a few fish and chicken dishes, usually a carved item such as pork ribs, prime rib (it varies) vegitables, potatoes, rice. The food is obviously prepared at the Amari and not re-heated. They have excellent Thai food according to the Thai with whom I have dined. Everything is exceptional and worth a try.

I very much agree about the Amari. The food and service are great and the setting is pleasant and comfortable. You pretty much get what you pay for - no big bargains - but everything is so nice that you don't feel that you need to stuff yourself.

By the way, I don't usually eat Thai food at these buffets, but the Amari's is so delicious, that I can't help myself.

I would still rate the Holiday Inn as number one for food of every buffet in town (but the new Le Meridian is not far behind). However, the Amari rates tops for atmosphere in my book and the food is quite enjoyable too.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Some constructive suggestions here. I'm going to try them. Thanks, guys.

The Maraikorn is very good: mainly Thai food, good portions, wide and changing selection, coffee, tea, desserts, fruits, and a good atmosphere, friendly but not overbearing service

Not sure of price but from memory a litle under the Shangrila - whose selection is not really anything to shout about ( though it does get lots of plugs for some reason)

Thanks again guys

I very much agree about the Amari. The food and service are great and the setting is pleasant and comfortable. You pretty much get what you pay for - no big bargains - but everything is so nice that you don't feel that you need to stuff yourself.

By the way, I don't usually eat Thai food at these buffets, but the Amari's is so delicious, that I can't help myself.

I would still rate the Holiday Inn as number one for food of every buffet in town (but the new Le Meridian is not far behind). However, the Amari rates tops for atmosphere in my book and the food is quite enjoyable too.

I agree that the Holiday Inn has the best in town, and the Le Meridian is excellent too, however both are for Sunday brunch only. The Amari is every day although, for my taste, it is better during the week compared to the weekends. I believe it is more expensive on Sundays.

The Grandview's buffet is one of the best values with a nice selection, good service and a pretty setting, all for something like 150 baht. The Mecure (formerly Novotel) has a spendid selection, with some items cooked to order, good service and a nice setting but the price is something like 240 baht (if you reserve a week in advance). For a really cheap buffet with lots of good Thai food, you can't beat the lunch buffet at Khun Khurn -- 80 baht and they do have an airconditioned room available at no extra charge if you ask. But the service consists of someone removing dirty dishes from your table. You have to get your own water refills. But what can you expect for 80 baht?

I have not tried the buffet at the Lana Palace, but plan to the next time I am in the mood for a buffet. I completely agree that helping out the businesses in Thailand helps Thailand.

My favorite lunch buffet Mondays - Fridays, is hands-down at the Amari Rincon. The price of 375 baht includes tax and tip, coffee, tea, and water. The food offered is all fresh, including Thai and western, and is not your standard fare. They always have a fresh backed desert along with ice cream, a variety of cakes, mouse, and fresh fruit. It's obviously more expensive than the Lana buffet, and therefore I look forward to trying the Lana, but, the food is really consistently excellent at the Amari Rincon.

Hey - always like trying new things, but Mouse? I'll give it a miss unless it's a chocolate one!

David

Hey - always like trying new things, but Mouse? I'll give it a miss unless it's a chocolate one!

David

Several kinds actually, including chocolate.

Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi Sunday Brunch is around 1000bt and worth it. :) Been 4 time ,always perfect.

The Dhara Dhevi is the best kept secret in CM. Spectacular place but 1000 Bt

for a brunch is a once a year treat for most of us cheap charlies. 200 to 400 Bt

is more in line. Empress and Mercure hotels give a great buffet in MHO.

Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi Sunday Brunch is around 1000bt and worth it. :) Been 4 time ,always perfect.

for a brunch is a once a year treat for most of us cheap charlies. 200 to 400 Bt

Dhara Dhevi here I come. Probably within the next 2 weekends. Thanks for the referral.

• 2 weeks later...

I very much enjoyed the Dhara Dhevi, but the buildings and atmosphere are more inviting than the taste of the food. Don't get me wrong; it is fine food, but no better than the Holiday Inn or Le Meridian and at close to twice the price.

I'm glad that I went once, but I would probably not go back for the Sunday buffet again. However, people who are willing to pay for a great atmosphere with good food will love the place and I don’t blame them.

I do want to try their Dim Sum buffet, however. I hear that it is well worth the price and the Dim Sum is really better than other places. The ambience is free!

I tried it and although the atmosphere is excellent (quiet, not crowded , soft music, beautiful surroundings) the food, although good, is not worth the cost. Frankly the Le Meridian and the Holiday Inn have much greater selections. Example, I did not see one seafood dish other than a good tasting seafood bisque. There was smoked salmon, and a selection of sushi, but nothing really outstanding considering the price. What you are paying for is the atmosphere, which is excellent. It reminds me of comparing a good buffet located in the San Fernando Valley to one located in Beverly Hills - although the cuisine may be similar in quality and quantity, the price in Beverly Hills will be significantly higher.

I very much enjoyed the Dhara Dhevi, but the buildings and atmosphere are more inviting than the taste of the food. Don't get me wrong; it is fine food, but no better than the Holiday Inn or Le Meridian and at close to twice the price.

I'm glad that I went once, but I would probably not go back for the Sunday buffet again. However, people who are willing to pay for a great atmosphere with good food will love the place and I don't blame them.

I do want to try their Dim Sum buffet, however. I hear that it is well worth the price and the Dim Sum is really better than other places. The ambience is free!

I went there several times but was never really happy, the car park area is untidy and dirty, the coach pulling pony was very smelly and horse manure was lying on the approach way to the hotel, and due to the hot climate rather fetid.

I found the buffet food selection on all occasions rather small, and the actual selection of dishes poor, on two occasions after opening time some of the dish containers were still empty and the kitchen staff were running around and around trying to get the buffet ready, the salad bar is very small, and on one occasion the potato's in the potato salad were still hot, and the mayonnaise dressing was running off the potato's like water, the fact that they pored the mayonnaise dressing over the still hot potato's is indicative of the fact that the head chef and his brigade are not up to scratch, on two occasions the french bread sticks were dry, hard, and uneatable, obviously old.

I paid 3000- Baht for their VIP card which offers discounts, yet the bill for two people after discount still amounts to almost 1200-Bath.

Apart from the operational short comings as outlined above, there is also a value for money problem.

The restaurant staff however did a good job serving fruit juices and clearing tables.

I'm glad that I went once, but I would probably not go back for the Sunday buffet again. However, people who are willing to pay for a great atmosphere with good food will love the place and I don't blame them.

I paid 3000- Baht for their VIP card which offers discounts, yet the bill for two people after discount still amounts to almost 1200-Bath.

Apart from the operational short comings as outlined above, there is also a value for money problem.

The restaurant staff however did a good job serving fruit juices and clearing tables.

When I ate there last Sunday the tab for just the brunch for two (without any discount) was 2,071 baht. If you paid 1,200 for two, you realized a better than 42% discount. I'd say that isn't too bad, however, if the food is not to your liking, it is not worth it.

I went to the Amari last week and the buffet was fantastic. A lot of deliciously cooked food, a "made to order" Caesar salad and tons of desserts. Great service too. But at 375 I can only go 2 or 3 times a month. But that is probably good or else my waist line would increase sharply.

Grandview Hotel lunch buffet has added Ice Tea and juice to their hot coffee and tea area, not to mention the free water that they keep coming around and filling your glass. (I guess I did just mention it) The food is good to just above good. Ate there today.. I think the best bang for the baht *142 baht all in*. It was packed as well, so many others are voting with their baht for Grandview.

Edited by swain

Grandview Hotel lunch buffet has added Ice Tea and juice to their hot coffee and tea area, not to mention the free water that they keep coming around and filling your glass. (I guess I did just mention it) The food is good to just above good. Ate there today.. I think the best bang for the baht *142 baht all in*. It was packed as well, so many others are voting with their baht for Grandview.

Iced coffee too, by the way. I also noticed that they now serve the hot coffee in a regular coffee jug as opposed to a big urn that was always stewed by the time I went to get a cup. I tried the Empress after the reviews above and although there was a somewhat bigger choice, I thought the food was no certainly no better than the Grandview and significantly more expensive - almost twice as much in fact and with drinks thrown in for good measure at the GV, I won't be making the Empress a regular event.

Thanks for the tip , I will try Grandview for 140 Baht when I arrive CM next week .

Can anyone give me directions , I will stay near Thapae gate.

How the other half live is my reaction to this thread. Several hundred baht for lunch?!

What kind of jobs do you all do??!

Khun Churns is excellent food for 80 baht as someone mentioned. But it's hardly a hassle to walk up there and get yourself a drink.

But there's no meat, so that will upset many! However, i can't imagine even that 1000 baht lunch getting near it, unless one needs one's dosage of meat of course.

I go to a buffet once a month at the most or a Japanese restaurant now and then. Don't you ever splurge? :)

How about an "all you can eat" Thai buffet for 49 baht? I try to get there at least once every couple of months. Now, that's a splurge. :D

Hooray for you, Riley 78!!!!!!!

You have made your initial (I think) entry for the GRAND PRIZE for the ULTIMATE AWARD for food threads on TV Chiang Mai !!!!

The GRAND PRIZE (which is not unfortunately anywhere within your reach) will be awarded for the simple frequency of scores (on scale of 1 - 10, given a base 10) combined (after a dose of sodium bicarbonate) with the number of inane restaurant posts on TV Chiang Mai (no greater than a 3 on a 1-10 scale ). Never mind trying to parse this system! Just consider the prize(s) mentioned below! Have we got a deal for you!! Doubt that? Just PM the most frequent thread originator and poster on such threads!

Be advised! Please recognize the company you challenge doing the restaurant posting thing! You have a long, long way to go !!!! There are some real pros on restaurant threads here.

"Good luck" is all we can say! The judges are not against newcomers, but I fear you are far, far out of your league! Just check the number of initial threads and the number of posts about food and restaurants on TV Chiang Mai. Not really hard to do at all unless you are afraid of dying from boredom! At the very least, you will find a coach, a consultant or two. How much will this cost you? Probably just the price of a good meal at his or her favorite restaurant!! Can you ride a bike? Might be helpful.

Anyway, go for it !!! There are lots of prizes!!!! However, if you really want one! It involves a certain process..............

Are you into colonic irrigation ?!

This has recently been another hot and heavy TV Chiang Mai topic inviting a competition! A surefire antidote to the misery of eating too, too well !! Anyway, of late, seems that the colonic has had some salutary (Pass the tissue?) effect on reducing TV Chiang Mai posts somewhat recently to less --- well --- anal retentive hum and drum.

Anyway, good luck!!!!! But understand that you are among really professional forum posters here on TV Chiang Mai on these topics by volume if not..........

Check it out! Otherwise, pass the tissue, please!

Edited by Mapguy

More off-topic whining from the forum grouch. If you are not interested in the food topics, then why do you insist on reading them? Please spare us your incessant, pointless complaining madguy. You are a lot more boring than the posters that you are bitching about. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.