The Mysterious Case Of The Missing Ballpark Franks

Ulysses G.

Did anyone see any "Ballpark Franks" - at all - at the Independence Day Celebration"?

At 2:30 in the afternoon - when the gates first opened - they were serving skinny dogs that seemed to have come from a Thai convienience store and I have not met even one person who thinks that they saw a big, juicy Ballpark Frank all day.

Perhaps I am being petty, but they were advertised everywhere and a large percentage of the expats that I know went especially on account of those franks and would like to know to know where they vanished to. When I left in the early afternoon everyone waiting in line outside was asking about them and I felt bad saying that they seemed like boiled, 7/11 specials to me.

What happened to the real deals? Where is Nancy Drew when you really need her?

Edited by Ulysses G.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't want to have to buy a BBQ and charcoal for one or two hotdogs. That is why I went to the July 4th party.

I did not say too much about it at first because I was a little embarrased, but I have heard so many people complaining about it, in so many different places, that I thought it was worth bringing up on here.

I'm sure that a lot of people went to celebrate a holiday with friends and family and don't care about hotdogs, but a lot of single folks went out of their way to go there just for the franks. They had to pay 100 baht to get in and then were disappointed. Is it too much to ask

why? ermm.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

UG, come on, you can cook a hot dog or two. Even by microwave or boiling, it's not THAT HARD for a bachelor to do. My fav's are the oddly named 'Arabic Wieners' (- cause they contain pork for one thing) that Thai GM sell at Tesco and Big C. They're always in the little deli counter with the girls behind it offering you samples of gross little Thai wieners made of all kinds of fillers and lacking flavors or stuffed with cr@ppy cheeze. They're as good a size as any respectable dog, and the meat has a medium grind to it instead of foamed like a typical hotdog, so it's got a nice chew to it too. Can't beat a good chewy wiener !

Try 'em with ketchup or mustard - they're frikking great.

... or mit beir !

UG, come on, you can cook a hot dog or two. Even by microwave or boiling, it's not THAT HARD for a bachelor to do. My fav's are the oddly named 'Arabic Wieners' (- cause they contain pork for one thing) that Thai GM sell at Tesco and Big C. They're always in the little deli counter with the girls behind it offering you samples of gross little Thai wieners made of all kinds of fillers and lacking flavors or stuffed with cr@ppy cheeze. They're as good a size as any respectable dog, and the meat has a medium grind to it instead of foamed like a typical hotdog, so it's got a nice chew to it too. Can't beat a good chewy wiener !

Try 'em with ketchup or mustard - they're frikking great.

... or mit beir !

The point is that Ballpark Franks were advertised as available at the 4th of July celebration, and there were none to be found. It's not about whether we can sit at home and prepare something similar, or even better, ourselves. Why is this a difficult concept to grasp? Not only that, but what was available, other than the Thai sausages, which were ok(mine were undercooked) were boiled 7-11 hotdogs. A valid disappointment for many with whom I have spoken.

The point is that Ballpark Franks were advertised as available at the 4th of July celebration, and there were none to be found.

Not only that, but what was available... were boiled 7-11 hotdogs. A valid disappointment for many with whom I have spoken.

Exact-a-mundo. No wonder lawyers earn so much. :)

The point is that Ballpark Franks were advertised as available at the 4th of July celebration, and there were none to be found.

Not only that, but what was available... were boiled 7-11 hotdogs. A valid disappointment for many with whom I have spoken.

Exact-a-mundo. No wonder lawyers earn so much. :)

Any particular reason why weiners are used to celebrate the American war of independence?

So basically, there is a wiener conspiracy going on? I wonder if anyone from the VFW can confirm whether or not they were truly Ball Park Wieners or a substitute. This might be cause for concern if found out to be true. This could be as big as, "Who killed Kennedy?" Maybe we should commission and independent investigation?

Edited by getgoin

So what is the best-tasting frankfurter we can get here?

Brand name?

Where to buy?

I've seen those displays of franks at all the usual stores, including the deli counter at Rimping, but reluctant to bother, because disappointed so often in the past with what pretends to be a hot dog in Thailand.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Did anyone see any "Ballpark Franks" - at all - at the Independence Day Celebration"?

At 2:30 in the afternoon - when the gates first opened - they were serving skinny dogs that seemed to have come from a Thai convienience store and I have not met even one person who thinks that they saw a big, juicy Ballpark Frank all day.

Perhaps I am being petty, but they were advertised everywhere and a large percentage of the expats that I know went especially on account of those franks and would like to know to know where they vanished to. When I left in the early afternoon everyone waiting in line outside was asking about them and I felt bad saying that they seemed like boiled, 7/11 specials to me.

I'm not sure how I got roped into this since I hate hot dogs but I'm told that if you'd bothered to look at the packs that were being opened and cooked you would have seen that they were indeed the "big juicy Ballpark Franks" that you are lamenting. Maybe they just don't taste the same under the Asian sky.... anyway clearly not the gastronomic treat you'd been salivating over. Never mind, another burger thread will be along soon :)

It turns out I didn't have an ad style picture of someone holding a pack to camera (next time, OK?) but this bit of detective work by an offended VFW member pretty much makes the case.....

586256122_4GdrD-L.jpg

.....dont you think?

Regards

Nancy D

PS By the way, they sold all 800 on the day.

Edited by Greenside

So basically, there is a wiener conspiracy going on? I wonder if anyone from the VFW can confirm whether or not they were truly Ball Park Wieners or a substitute. This might be cause for concern if found out to be true. This could be as big as, "Who killed Kennedy?" Maybe we should commission and independent investigation?

You apparently don't know too much about quality food, do you?

I'm not sure how I got roped into this since I hate hot dogs but I'm told that if you'd bothered to look at the packs that were being opened and cooked you would have seen that they were indeed the "big juicy Ballpark Franks" that you are lamenting.

Well it certainly looks as if there were some ball park franks served on that day and that is enough for me.

What I don't understand is why numerous restaurant owners, customers and other members have been so adamant that they were served something else.

As I said before, I have not met one person who thought that they got the real thing. Do they make "copy" hotdogs in Thailand? :)

I'm not sure how I got roped into this since I hate hot dogs but I'm told that if you'd bothered to look at the packs that were being opened and cooked you would have seen that they were indeed the "big juicy Ballpark Franks" that you are lamenting. Maybe they just don't taste the same under the Asian sky.... anyway clearly not the gastronomic treat you'd been salivating over. Never mind, another burger thread will be along soon :)

It turns out I didn't have an ad style picture of someone holding a pack to camera (next time, OK?) but this bit of detective work by an offended VFW member pretty much makes the case.....

586256122_4GdrD-L.jpg

.....dont you think?

Regards

Nancy D

Thank you Nancy D for that information. Too bad that nobody liked them and they only sold all 800. 18 posts to get the facts when one call to the VFW would have provided them

586256122_4GdrD-L.jpg

.....dont you think?

Regards

Nancy D

Thank you Nancy D for that information. Too bad that nobody liked them and they only sold all 800. 18 posts to get the facts when one call to the VFW would have provided them

Actually, the photos of the label do not match the photo of her hand around the package. In other words, the photos prove nothing. What is significantly more telling is that I did not eat a Ballpark Frank, and I did eat a hotdog that was boiled at the 4th of July celebration. And there appears to be many who are of the same opinion that the boiled hotdogs at the 4th of July celebration were not Ballpark Franks. That's enough for me. However, if you wish to believe that they were Ballpark Franks that's fine. But if you happen to have one some day, you will realize what we have been talking about.

You apparently don't know too much about quality food, do you?

I was only joking. But can we get a look at the wiener package from the grassy knoll?

Edited by getgoin

Perhaps the hot dogs we're Thai copies. That could clear the issue up.

I had a dog at 5.30pm and quite frankly, it was very average and I couldn't tell the difference between a 7/11 one and the one I had. If the one I had really was a 'Ballpark Frank' (I've never had one, so it was difficult to tell) then I wouldn't bother making a bee-line for the 'Ballpark Frank' hot dog stand in the future as I did last Saturday.

Never mind as I've said in a previous thread, we all had a great day and Ridgely's ribs we're spot on.

The queue at Buds ice cream spoke loud. The British franchisee must have been rubbing his hands. They couldn't make the cones fast enough and only the rain slackened business off. Absolutely delicious.

regards Bojo

I was not sure that they were Ballpark franks. They didn't seem like it but I have never had them steamed. They also seemed like they were tapered on the end rather than the rounded ends that your typical state side ballpark franks have. And they seemed to have an almost Oscar Meyer Wienerish taste and texture. As a side note, I love Oscar Meyer Wieners.

But as I posted I was just joking about the conspiracy theory. The VFW buys the wieners from the US Embassy Commissary in BKK. The Commissary is run by Haliburton and maybe the franks are not made in the US but somewhere else for international distribution, perhaps Australia.

Regardless, without actually having one of the packages for inspection we can only speculate on where the wieners were actually produced and if they were the true beloved Ballpark Wieners that have graced many a 4th of July BBQ.

My suggestion is boiled then grilled.

Edited by getgoin