If You Have Problems Sleeping, Try This!

:) I find the breathing step works instantly for total body relaxation! It's like undergoing a massage!

Combinate the breething step with this music (for instance), you will be in wonderland quickly:

1. Practice deep breathing. If you're having trouble trying to sleep, try a deep breathing exercise. For example, lie on your back in bed and breathe in deeply for four counts, watching your stomach rise, and then breathe out for four counts. Your goal is to breath in and out about six times per minute. Do this for about ten minutes (60 breaths) and then switch so you're lying on your right, and repeat the breathing process. Another way to go about doing it is this:
  2. Take a deep breath using one nostril closed,

• Now exhale with the nostril that is closed, during this exhalation, close the other.
  • Repeat these steps using the other nostril. Do this 60 times (at least 10 minutes) and you will feel very dizzy/relaxed.

------------------------------

1. Imagine yourself sinking into the mattress, starting from the very tips of your toes. When you loosen all your muscles, it gives the effect that you're sinking in. In your mind, begin to "acknowledge" everything around you that all your senses are experiencing. For example: Say to yourself (not out loud), "I hear the clock ticking. I smell the lotion I just applied to my hands. I feel my legs' weight on the bed. I hear my spouse/partner breathing. I see different shades of black. I hear the dog barking in the distance. I hear myself in my own mind talking.", etc. This should help to clear your mind by slowly acknowledging everything and subsequently dismissing it. Stay on your back, sunk into the mattress until you feel it is time to roll into your desired position.
  2. Pray or meditate. Whatever is on your mind is probably there for a reason. When you pray, do it the way you are supposed to. Keep your focus on the one you pray to. Dismiss whatever it is racing through your mind, and forget about the situation. If meditating, visualize yourself addressing your thoughts and resolving them. Or, meditate on a calming word or phrase. As you do so, it helps you to lower your heart rate and relax your muscles, making it easier for you to lay down and fall asleep. Many times this will work because you no longer have that burden on your mind and you can relax enough to fall asleep.

• 2 weeks later...