Laptop Charger From U.s.

Jimjim

I have a laptop which I need to bring to Thailand with me. I have never actually had to do this so hope you can help.

On my laptop AC adapter/power cord/battery charger (whatever you call it) it says 100-240V so from my research that shows me that the battery can easily be charged in Thailand with no problem. However, the plug running from that adapter/battery charger says 125V, so can I use that in Thailand or do I need some sort of converter or new plug? The plug is attached to the adapter and the adapter is attached to the computer with the round hole plug. Sorry, don't know the terminology too well. Anyway, will I need to buy a plug that attaches to the adapter in Thailand? Possible these are readily available? Laptop's a Compaq Presario.

I'm assuming Thailand is 220 volt as that's what I've read.

You shouldn't have any problems. My husband bought a Toshiba laptop in the States and uses it here without any problems. You won't even need an adaptor as the plugs are the same as in the US. You are correct that the power is 220 and anything you plug in would need to state that it is compatble with it.

Don't worry about the cord saying 125V. It should insulate for higher voltage fine and the wire is twice the size needed. Finding a three pin outlet may be a problem so I would have a three to two pin adapter available if required.

SBK, why do you say you need a 3 prong plug? We just plug ours into the standard outlet as they are the same as in the US?

Wall outlets here come in three normal types - US/Japan grounded - US/Japan ungrounded and old two round pin type. Many accept both flat and round pins but generally only newer homes have the three pin ability.

So I could easily get a 3 to 2 prong plug in Bangkok if I find my room doesn't take 3 prongs?

Shouldn't be any problem using laptop in BKK. If you want to make sure you have the right plug then stop by at Radio Shack before coming here.

So I could easily get a 3 to 2 prong plug in Bangkok if I find my room doesn't take 3 prongs?

Readily available from every Mom and Pop electrical shop :D

Do be aware that some laptops that have 3 prong plugs can bite if run off an un-grounded (2 prong) outlet. My old Dell would bite hard if I used one of my two power supplied un-grounded, the other unit was OK, evidently slightly different designs :)

You shouldn't have any problems. My husband bought a Toshiba laptop in the States and uses it here without any problems. You won't even need an adaptor as the plugs are the same as in the US. You are correct that the power is 220 and anything you plug in would need to state that it is compatble with it.

I don't agree about the plugs. It depends on where you are staying/living. For example, here in the long-term hotel in which I am temporarily staying...no problem. Upcountry I needed an adapter for the plug type (although no problem with the electricity).