I am visiting thailand for a few weeks and probably spend a few thousand dolllars. I want to put the money in a bank account. Is it possibe to set up a thai bank account as i dont want to use my cards from overseas banks ?

I am a US citizen and I originally opened a savings account at Bangkok Bank in Silom (Bangkok). You can do this with just a passport, regardless of visa obtained. Also, they have a branch in NYC and that also makes it convenient. Most other banks require you to have work permits, etc.

Also, if you are opening one to simply draw money from while visiting, then you're wasting your time. ATMs are abundant. You can't turn a corner and not see one. Your bank (mine in US, anyway) charges 1% of withdrawal on foreign ATMs. The ATM bank may also charge you.

And to top it off, you almost always get the BEST exchange rate when using ATM. Don't bring Travelers Checks, etc.

BTW: Thai banks are fee happy. They even charge you to put money IN your account. Crazy bunch!

Exchange rate at www. xe. com (currently around 34baht = $1USD)

My bank ATM withdrawals in Thailand equal about 33/baht = $1USD after fees.

Let your bank know you are traveling to Thailand so they won't stop the ATM card thinking its stolen or something. Could leave you stranded. Also, you can ask your bank to UP the withdrawal amount per day if you want large amounts. Most ATMs here allow about 20,000baht per ATM withdrawal. ($600USD).

Good luck!

I have never paid to put money into my, and any other local account when using cash/passbook. If you transfer funds using ATM or to different areas of the country there are small fees involved.

I stand corrected. Thanks for bringing that forward. They DO, however, charge you for withdrawals, even if you go inside the bank. Here is what they say about ATM withdrawals on their website:

Remark: * A transaction fee of 150Bt will be charged for ATM withdrawals on VISA, MasterCard and JCB cards issued by foreign banks or any other bank or financial institution not an ATM Pool member.

To the OP, go to this link to get more Bangkok Bank Foreign Customers Info

I've also never paid to put money in my account. I've never had ATM fees even when using one of their competitor ATMs.

I do all my transfers via the internet with no fees incurred. The only time I pay a fee is to my Australian bank when I transfer funds to my Thai account (and this fee is always well and truly absorbed by the exchange rate I receive as opposed to travellers cheques etc)

You are not charged for withdrawals inside bank or from ATM or from ATM Pool banks (up to 4 times per month for Pool). That 150 baht fee is for overseas bank cards. If you withdraw in another area of Thailand there will be a small fee - but if in your bank area there is none.