Changes To The School Term

Scott

I've heard that the government is contemplating changing the dates of the school term, with possibilities of moving the October break forward and possibly extending the end of the academic year. At this point, it's mostly rumor, but it has been reported on Thai television. I confirmed that there is some consideration to these changes from our Administration. Any information on schools in your area will be appreciated and any impact this may have on teachers is welcomed.

I've heard that the government is contemplating changing the dates of the school term, with possibilities of moving the October break forward and possibly extending the end of the academic year. At this point, it's mostly rumor, but it has been reported on Thai television. I confirmed that there is some consideration to these changes from our Administration. Any information on schools in your area will be appreciated and any impact this may have on teachers is welcomed.

Kinda heard similar things.

Down in Phuket, the local area office are making SIGNIFICANT changes to the curriculum, changing lesson times from 50 mins to an hour, and insisting on the number and frequency of lessons given. We were initially given the impression that this huge change will happen this week, but as a number of schools have made a fuss, i belive it will happen at the start of semester two. It would not surprise me in any way if the semester is extended/changed because of this. As usual though, it's just a rumour, even though i've pushed very hard for answers, the chimps at the top of the tree are also in the dark.

Even the muppets who visited us from the area office couldnt tell us exactly what and when the changes would be brought in.

It's one of the reasons that unfortunatly, this will be my 6th and final year in the Kingdom.

Thanks. I know some teachers have already made plans for the October break--including air line reservations etc. This could have a detrimental affect on their plans.

I also wonder if some teachers are going to find themselves in a financial pinch--especially those on probationary status etc. as a result.

Thanks. I know some teachers have already made plans for the October break--including air line reservations etc. This could have a detrimental affect on their plans.

I also wonder if some teachers are going to find themselves in a financial pinch--especially those on probationary status etc. as a result.

I guess it depends on their contract. My contract covers me whether school is open or closed, this includes all national holidays, and national "emergencies" (when the govt. feels the need to abruptly close schools due to flu or extending holidays like Songkran) plus 10 days personal (vacation) leave and 10 days sick leave per contract year. If a school is on the "up an up" then the same benefits should apply to contracted foreign teachers as they apply to Thai teachers. There are many good schools here. It is Unfortunate that the "dogey" programs tend to out way the good ones. :)

I posted some duff information earlier about changes due to curriculum changes.

I think this ISNT what Scott was talking about as it only affects some schools in Phuket who are running a pilot programme.

From what i heard today from Thai staff is that the Government were thinking of closing all schools for a 2 week period in a bid to prevent further spreading of the H1N1 flu. Those 2 weeks were going to then be tacked onto the end of semester 1, i.e. sometime in October.

I have also heard though that the plan is currently on hold. I guess they are monitoring sickness levels etc.

Scott, you're quite right about the impact of holidays etc. Some number of foreign staff will have already booked flights etc. I also have friends coming out for the exact 2 weeks of our break between semester 1 and 2.

It's a shame, but then again, what can you do? Some of the government advice is to 'avoid congested areas' and a school is certainly a congested area.

Whilst personal hygiene is also good advice, i am unsure about the effects of cleaning schools from top to bottom. How long exactly the virus stays on things like door knobs or keyboards is unclear. My own personal crusade is that i turn off the air con in the classrooms, open up all the doors and windows, and monitor my students closely. I ask kids with sniffles and sneezes, and also those feeling unusually hot or cold, to visit the nurse room to get their temperatures taken.

Markg: Yes, I was talking about the flu, but I found your post interesting as well.

I am not referring to dodgy schools--I am referring to screwed up plans that people make. Having vistors come when you really can't take a holiday is a real bummer. Having a plane ticket to somewhere and having to take unpaid leave is a major financial inconvenience for others. Then there are all those people with children in schools here as well.

If it's really necessary to close schools, I personally understand, but I am not going to be very happy if it's for nothing. Many years ago we went through the same thing when they had some big meeting in BKK and changed the holiday. We didn't have the courtesy of much notice and we ended up with a few good teachers who simply left. They had plans and they stuck with them. They were well educated and knew quite well they could get another job easily.

I am sure there are other areas that will impact people, as well.

Markg: Yes, I was talking about the flu, but I found your post interesting as well.

I am not referring to dodgy schools--I am referring to screwed up plans that people make. Having vistors come when you really can't take a holiday is a real bummer. Having a plane ticket to somewhere and having to take unpaid leave is a major financial inconvenience for others. Then there are all those people with children in schools here as well.

If it's really necessary to close schools, I personally understand, but I am not going to be very happy if it's for nothing. Many years ago we went through the same thing when they had some big meeting in BKK and changed the holiday. We didn't have the courtesy of much notice and we ended up with a few good teachers who simply left. They had plans and they stuck with them. They were well educated and knew quite well they could get another job easily.

I am sure there are other areas that will impact people, as well.

Whilst i do sympathise with the disruption to people's plans for holidays due to changes in the semester end dates, i do think we have to bear in mind the potentially bigger picture - our health.

I'm doing as much as i can personally by trying to get sick kids out of my classrooms. However, i have no control over the staff room and other common areas.

Shutting schools down may or may not work. I believe Mexico took similar, if not more drastic action, and shut the whole country down. I think it may have worked.

Shutting down communal places with aircon may also work. Cinemas, shopping malls even.

I dunno. Guess it's a moot point until they actually do it.

The online Phuketwan was reporting that Phuket is more than likely going to follow Bangkoks lead and shut down the schools. It will impact a few foreigners for sure, though that will not be a consideration when making the decision i wouldnt have thought.

Personally, I am be concerned that if we have a holiday now, then we may have to do a 30-week second term without a break. That would be a killer. Students are barely alive by the end of January anyway. (Not to mention their poor teachers.)

Personally, I am be concerned that if we have a holiday now, then we may have to do a 30-week second term without a break. That would be a killer. Students are barely alive by the end of January anyway. (Not to mention their poor teachers.)

From what i understand Firelily, and just to reiterate, this is only based on pretty strong rumour, is that the Govt. are considering taking a 2 week break now, and then adding those two weeks onto the back of semester one. You'd then get your usual 2 or 3 week break between the two semesters, and then start semester two a little later than usual. The students wouldnt actually be working for any longer periods than normal.

From a personal point of view, the idea would be very inconvenient as i have friends i've not seen for 3 years coming out. They've booked leave from work in the UK and have booked flights. It's pretty much set in stone. However, as unpalatable as this may seem, the idea from the government appears to be a genuine attempt to limit the spreading of the flu.

They always say that people working in schools and hospitals are the first to get sick - and i note a doctor working in General Practice in the Uk has died from it.

I tentatively support the decision, though it could be more effective if they also close down the places the students will congregate in during down-time if those places don't have decent air-flow. (one of the Govt suggestions as reported in the Bkk post was to increase air flow in rooms)

Shutting schools and then allowing kids to sit in internet game shops for 2 weeks would be counter productive!

I guess it depends on their contract. My contract covers me whether school is open or closed, this includes all national holidays, and national "emergencies" (when the govt. feels the need to abruptly close schools due to flu or extending holidays like Songkran) plus 10 days personal (vacation) leave and 10 days sick leave per contract year. If a school is on the "up an up" then the same benefits should apply to contracted foreign teachers as they apply to Thai teachers. There are many good schools here. It is Unfortunate that the "dogey" programs tend to out way the good ones. :D

Oops, Made a grammatical error. Me bad. Meant to say outweigh not out way. :)