Pattaya Pros And Cons

thaimate

my friends overseas who have not visited Thailand or specifically Pattaya are more shocked that i go shopping at Tesco, eat at nice restaurants, grab an occasional Mickey D, go to the odd pub quiz night and generally live a 'normal life' thats not too dissimilar to my previous life.

What a boring old fart you are timekeeper, sounds like my life to a 't'. Ain't it great? :)

Not being critical at all, just asking, - why come to Thailand to do pretty much what you did in your home country. There must have been some reason for you up-sticks and come so far - what was it ??

someone once told me many years ago that a poor man can live like a rich man here

its not true now but it was then........

not complicated, short answer: better lifestyle than UK

Well apart from the retiring at 40 bit ,you wrote my post for me ,thanks . one other thing is that most of us married guys arnt out at the bars every night ,but live an ordinary life just like back in our home countrys.

Couldn't agree more. It's just a great place to live.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posts have been removed for baiting, flaming, name calling and other inflamatory remarks.

Another outburst like that, will earn both participants a holiday, irrespective of who started it.

Keep it civil please.

my friends overseas who have not visited Thailand or specifically Pattaya are more shocked that i go shopping at Tesco, eat at nice restaurants, grab an occasional Mickey D, go to the odd pub quiz night and generally live a 'normal life' thats not too dissimilar to my previous life.

What a boring old fart you are timekeeper, sounds like my life to a 't'. Ain't it great? :)

Not being critical at all, just asking, - why come to Thailand to do pretty much what you did in your home country. There must have been some reason for you up-sticks and come so far - what was it ??

i came to have a better, less encumbered life

despite other posters assertions, i did not come for the sex, nor was i running away from debts or a failed marriage/relationship.

i was at a milestone, i was 40, had paid off my various mortgages and had worked long hours for many years, saving money and always intending to retire early

i was looking at Spain, Florida and others.

someone said have a look at Thailand, its very anglocised, they drive on the same side, its pretty first world in some areas and its cheap

so i came over a few times, looked around a lot, liked what i saw and within 6 months moved.

i was also sick of the political correctness, petty beurocracy and religious fervour sweeping the uk and being allowed to prosper by the Labour government

i was sick of watching my taxes being paid out to immigrants who could not even speak english

one could no longer even voice an opinion in ones own country in safety

when i first came here, it was more free and easy than it is now

that made it attractive to my style of living

also opportunities were here to live a better life in the sun

for the price of a terraced house in a depressed backwater in UK

one could have a three bedroomed villa with a pool

so it wasn't a tough desicion to make

someone once told me many years ago that a poor man can live like a rich man here

its not true now but it was then........

not complicated, short answer: better lifestyle than UK

A very good reply Timekeeper, you took the words right out of my mouth here.

Pros:

Carnival-like energy (hard to get bored)

Situated on the beach

Decent choices of Western food

Good choice of movie theaters

Some decent malls w/ ac

Foodland (etc)

Ladies for rent

Also young men for rent

Also katoeys for rent

Also some of the best PEOPLE WATCHING on the planet if you like a freak show (and God knows I do)

Also the PRICES for Western food much more reasonable than Bangkok, Bangkok people come to Pattaya for the restaurants, yes it is true

This is true for the same

reason that apartments are a better value for money in Pattaya. Bangkok is full of rich CEOs and international companies and prices reflect this. Pattaya expats are usually retired and on fixed incomes.

Ko San road in Bangkok is the only place that has comparable prices to Pattaya but I find the quality of food there not so good.

And its a great place to ride a bike - many lone streets in the Jomtien area with picturesque and sometimes surreal views.

I love the diversity of Pattaya, and yes the People Watching is the best in the world.

I also appreciate being able to read the signs, eat some western food, and hear more English being spoken. And it is never boring there. I just ignore the downsides.

Although I can't afford to live in Pattaya, I will visit often.

Edited by Lopburi99

I find it a bit sad to here some people / friends around the bars and restaurants

Start passing moral judgment on people coming to pattraya, for a quick jump.

With 20 different girls on a two week holiday.

Lots of these people, have wives, children and homes in and around pattaya now.

But have conveniently forgot why they first come to this town, 5, 10, 15 20 years ago.

Or why they come back to retire here or to work.

Obviously not all, but anyone care to take a shot at how many percent it is.

I think about 60%, just a figure from out the air.

Thats 60% of Expats in pattaya.

Have you ever met those guys around town who say they live in Thailand but live in

a home from home, just like the country they just left. You know the ones.

They refuse to learn any Thai, refuse to integrate with the Thais on any level.

Moan about how hot it is, moan about the 90 day reporting.

Never eat any Thai food. Moan about the way the Thais drive only to drive up the wrong side of a carriageway themselves when on a small motor bike.

And only hang about with people of the same mentality.

The cocoon people of pattaya.

What anybody ever says about pattaya.

I will tell you this.

If the girls were not here. nor would the rest of people be.

Plenty of other places around the world to live in, but they dont have the birds.

Like pattaya does.

I love pattaya for what it is, not for what some people like to pretend it is.

Or those who try to change it into a home from home.

Long live Pattaya. :)

Edited by plasticpig

I find it a bit sad to here some people / friends around the bars and restaurants

But have conveniently forgot why they first come to this town, 5, 10, 15 20 years ago.

Have you ever met those guys around town who say they live in Thailand but live in

Never eat any Thai food. Moan about the way the Thais drive only to drive up the wrong side of a carriageway themselves when on a small motor bike.

I will tell you this.

Plenty of other places around the world to live in, but they dont have the birds.

Like pattaya does.

Cons: FRENCH MAN BEATEN AND ROBBED BY GANG ON PATTAYA BEACH ROAD

Pattaya, 15 July [PDN] : In the early hours of 15th July 2009 a French tourist was badly beaten and robbed by a gang of Thai men on Pattaya Beach Road. It is believed the attack was planned, and involved a prostitute with whom the man had just had sex.

i did not come for the sex, nor was i running away from debts or a failed marriage/relationship.

i was at a milestone, i was 40,

Did you come here with your wife?

no i did not, i never married in UK, (not gay either)

i am still not married and under no pressure to get married but i am proud to say i have lived in peace and harmony with my schoolteacher fiance for some five years now and couldn't be happier.

Edited by timekeeper

Cons: FRENCH MAN BEATEN AND ROBBED BY GANG ON PATTAYA BEACH ROAD

Pattaya, 15 July [PDN] : In the early hours of 15th July 2009 a French tourist was badly beaten and robbed by a gang of Thai men on Pattaya Beach Road. It is believed the attack was planned, and involved a prostitute with whom the man had just had sex.

Pros

Thai Sandwiches, best in the world.

And great value for money. :D

Pros

White water rafting on a Li-Lo

Some place on second road. Forget the name.

Great fun. :)

Edited by plasticpig

Ko San road in Bangkok is the only place that has comparable prices to Pattaya but I find the quality of food there not so good.

Where is it not so good?

Comparing Ko San to Pattaya is absurd!

Maybe you don't know where to go in Pattaya, most tourists don't.

I will tell you this.

Like pattaya does.

If you don't mind my saying so, utter crap!

I first came here around 10 years ago having had an asian girlfriend in the UK who ultimately decided to marry one of her own race. I liked the way she looked and behaved compared to Western women and decided to have a look at this part of the world for a holiday. Like so many I fell in love with first girl I met and decided to move here, although it didn't work out in the longer term it was in no way a p4p arrangement. I have had 2 or 3 of long term girlfriends here since and the relationships tend to break down in the end due to differences in age or culture. I currently have no steady girlfriend but still do not find it necessary to run to the bars to find a new sleeping companion every, or even any , night.

Yes I go to bars yes I have a few drinks and a chat with the girls but p4p, I don't need it, I don't want it but I certainly don't pretend it's not there. I won't argue that I wouldn't be here if the girls weren't; it makes easier to find a new partner, but the way you appear to think everybody lives, no thanks.

I will tell you this.

Like pattaya does.

I first came here around 10 years ago having had an asian girlfriend in the UK who ultimately decided to marry one of her own race. I liked the way she looked and behaved compared to Western women and decided to have a look at this part of the world for a holiday. Like so many I fell in love with first girl I met and decided to move here, although it didn't work out in the longer term it was in no way a p4p arrangement. I have had 2 or 3 of long term girlfriends here since and the relationships tend to break down in the end due to differences in age or culture. I currently have no steady girlfriend but still do not find it necessary to run to the bars to find a new sleeping companion every, or even any , night.

Yes I go to bars yes I have a few drinks and a chat with the girls but p4p, I don't need it, I don't want it but I certainly don't pretend it's not there. I won't argue that I wouldn't be here if the girls weren't; it makes easier to find a new partner, but the way you appear to think everybody lives, no thanks.

good post Gmac, i wholeheartedly agree with you, utter crap......

i did not come for the sex, nor was i running away from debts or a failed marriage/relationship.

i am still not married and under no pressure to get married but i am proud to say i have lived in peace and harmony with my schoolteacher fiance for some five years now and couldn't be happier.

OK. I was just interested to know why you came to retire in Pattaya yet you're not interested in P4P.

I came here with a girlfriend myself, but I can't say I'm not tempted to play....maybe I do???

You know the ones.

They refuse to learn any Thai,

refuse to integrate with the Thais on any level.

Never eat any Thai food.

You've hit upon some good reasons to live in Pattaya.

Don't need to learn Thai.

Don't need to intregrate with Thais.

Don't need to eat Thai food.

Long live Pattaya!

OK. I was just interested to know why you came to retire in Pattaya yet you're not interested in P4P.

I came here with a girlfriend myself, but I can't say I'm not tempted to play....maybe I do???

my single main ambition since my early 20's was to retire early in a sunny country and have a nice house with a pool.

wife, children or women in general was not a consideration and there were many other options of places to go other than Thailand.

sex wasn't a part of that equation, i worked in the entertainment industry in the UK, was not married or hooked up with anyone long term and had much more than my fair share.

beleive it or not i just had to google to find out what P4P meant!

Pattaya will always have a bad image in the press. The world is full of prudes and hypocrites and sex outside of marriage will never be accepted by the puritanical masses.

Who cares if they are all sneaking out and boffing their mate's family members and best friends? At least they are trying to hide it. :)

Oh so true. Hypocrites abound... everywhere. The bars could all close, the women could all leave and Pattaya would STILL have a bad image everywhere there are bigots and hypocrites. The USA is probably the worst for hypocritical bigots, but the UK isn't far behind. I certainly see a lot of them in Canada... which has a name for being open minded and multi-cultural.

Where is it not so good?

Well either your reading comprehension or my writing is off...perhaps the sentence is a little ambiguous.

"there" means Ko San :)

We are on the same page...

Where is it not so good?

Well either your reading comprehension or my writing is off...perhaps the sentence is a little ambiguous.

"there" means Ko San :)

We are on the same page...

I will tell you this.

Like pattaya does.

Yes I do mind you saying my post is utter crap.

Now would you like to take me, point by point through my post

and point out the lies at each step.

Thank you. :D

Edited by plasticpig

I will tell you this.

Like pattaya does.

For what it is worth, I think that it is a great post. Don't let the great pretenders get you down. :D

<br />What makes me laugh is people back in the home country who slag off Pattaya or Thailand and have never actually visited.<br /><br />I actually don't know any male who has come to Pattaya for a holiday and not had a great time.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

wow- because I have not met a single male who has been there recently and liked it.

One man booked for 5 days, checked out next day.

I first went there in the early 80's,it was fine and I still think its fun city. I do not mind a bit of sleaze. But my male friends have nothing good to say about the place, nothing.

" full of European rejects,losers, scumbags....." are the typical comments.

Funny because I am sure most of them partake in certain amounts of vice themselves.

I will tell you this.

Like pattaya does.

ODD !

I actually agree with both posts (because I don't see a conflict between the two).

I THINK that PP is saying that it is sad to hear seasoned veterans of Pattaya criticising current sex tourist (because they themselves were probably one in the first place).

The cocoon people of Pattaya do, of course, exist - their choice, Thailand does leave it 'up to you' but they are maybe missing out on many things.

Pattaya grew on servicing the R & R requirements of the US navy, it will remain the whorehouse of Thailand and will continue to attract people for that reason. I enjoy 'going back' but, now that I have a long-term partner most of Pattaya's attractions are lost on me. Some great (Thai style) eateries around 2nd/3rd Roads and the Darkside but Disneyland will always be Disneyland.

gmac's post does not contradict this - he came for the girls and will share their company now - but takes what he wants from the encounter. I certainly was NOT in control in my first couple of visits - a rabbit in the headlights was probably a fairly accurate description with an overriding need to be part of the sexual olympics. I really enjoyed the first time that I bar-fined a girl just to have some overnight company - no sex :D

Retired to Thailand when I was 45 and ended up in Pattaya a little over a year ago after 6 months stints each in Phichit and Ban Phe. My wife and I didn't start off here because of the negative stigma attached. It was a huge mistake. Pattaya is much, much more than the wild side of Sukhumvit. First off I dare say the two best bilingual schools for my native level English speaking step-kid are in this area within 45 mintues of each other (1 in Pattaya and the other in Rayong). All EP schools are not equal in Thailand. The schools farangs here send their kids to have lots and lots of kids who speak English because of the expats who have decided to reside here. I can't afford an international school and the Thai government schools and private schools don't cut it for a true bilingual education. The supermarket shopping is flat outstanding here with 3-4 of the big chain places and several smaller specialty shops. It's a fairly big place yet you can go anywhere in Pattaya within 30 minutes or less all depending. I can go months and never go closer than Carrefour to the red light district. The down side is I can't go to Beach Road without my kid or spouse being accosted in some form by some farang. No biggie though ... we don't need to be there anyway. That's the adult children's playground anyway. :) The one good thing about Ban Phe is the beaches are family friendly and only an hour away. There are some darn good people here and get to mix with and experience the cultures of Thai, Filipino, British, Aussie, German, Belgium, Swiss, Russian, French, South Korean, Indian. And they all have restaurants in town as well. And by the way ... Pattaya has a dam_n good group of people at our Immigration Office in Jomtien. They put up with a lot of smack talk but provide flat outstanding service. Ease up on the fellas and gals in brown serving us there. And thanks to the expats who live here with school age kids. You guys and gals are helping me ensure my kid gets a truly bilingual education.

Cheers !

Edited by Storekeeper

I will tell you this.

Like pattaya does.

Yes I do mind you saying my post is utter crap.

Now would you like to take me, point by point through my post

and point out the lies at each step.

Thank you. :D

I won't go for it line by line but I've marked in red the two generalisations that pushed my buttons. A lot of what you say is true but I refuse to be tarred with the same brush as the sexpats when I actually find the conduct of many of them, particularly in restaurants, where they treat the waitresses as if they were in a girlie bar, as totally repugnant.

I won't go for it line by line but I've marked in red the two generalisations that pushed my buttons. A lot of what you say is true but I refuse to be tarred with the same brush as the sexpats when I actually find the conduct of many of them, particularly in restaurants, where they treat the waitresses as if they were in a girlie bar, as totally repugnant.

You're living in denial because according to your earlier post you believe there is no P4P element to any of your ralationships here. You believe that the girls are after you for your friendship, good looks and great company.

Many great golf courses, and not that expensive.

However, the traffic, congestion and pollution are a little hard to take.

As far as the ladies go, they're everywhere in Thailand. Pattaya is more of a viral cesspool though because of the concentration of the bars in the center of the city.

You're living in denial because according to your earlier post you believe there is no P4P element to any of your ralationships here. You believe that the girls are after you for your friendship, good looks and great company.

Just as they are in the West! Any relationship costs, what I'm staying is that I don't do one nighters, afternooners etc and have no interest in that side of the Pattaya life. Sure I know its the security and comfort, sexy man though I am :) , that they are after but there is no financial arrangement as such. We share a life together and I pay the bills. But then that's what I did when I was in the Uk so where's the difference?