Monitor: White Screen Of Death

webfact

Since this morning one of my monitors a 19' BenQ presented me with the 'white screen of death' :)

A quick check on another computer confirmed its the monitor which has failed not the graphic card.

my questions:

That monitor is more than 3y old. Of course guarantee has expired.

- Any ideas what a repair would cost ?

- or should I buy a new one?

taking the monitors age into consideration I tempt to trust this is maybe the better solution.

Your opinion is appreciated.

Thx

Thanks a lot so far but I've got a slight 'problem'

I ain't want a wide screen but an old fashioned square screen mon and my guess is those are hard to find these days -

or am I wrong?

No problem for 19"

Would love a 23 to 25" but there all widescreen

I did notice the other day at Seer Rangsit IT that one place had a load of new LCD screens of all shapes and sizes. Sorry no idea of price, so maybe they could replace your Benq screen ? if you cannot find a square new monitor

I ain't want a wide screen but an old fashioned square screen mon and my guess is those are hard to find these days -

or am I wrong?

4:3 19" LCDs are still readily available, but larger sizes beyond that seem to be nearly all wide screen. I also prefer 4:3 due to the type of work I use my computer for.

That's true, monitors over 19" all tend to be widescreen.

The only ones I can see that sells 19+" screens "non-wide" in Thailand is Eizo & Apple. And both brands will set you back an insane amount of hard-earned baht :)

I am aware 4:3 ratio became some kind of a gemstone...

Got 2 choices so far - 2nd hand 4:3 or a new 19' wideeeeeeeeee...

I've purchased about 5 19" 4:3 Samsungs over the last couple of months for the office. Shop4Thai has some, but seems fewer now then the last time I looked. Shop4Thai

Sorry for hijacking the topic but my question is not worth a new topic:

My son has a 4:3 17" Samsung LCD mon but would like to get a bigger and wide screen one.

Some of his friends told him that he will also need a new VGA card and that some of his games may not even work on a wide screen.

Is this correct?

What to look for to find out if a VGA card and game can handle a wide screen mon?

opalhort

Sorry for hijacking the topic but my question is not worth a new topic:

My son has a 4:3 17" Samsung LCD mon but would like to get a bigger and wide screen one.

Some of his friends told him that he will also need a new VGA card and that some of his games may not even work on a wide screen.

Is this correct?

What to look for to find out if a VGA card and game can handle a wide screen mon?

opalhort

Before you upgrade monitor check to see what your video card is capable of producing. You may want to make sure you have the latest drivers for your card before checking.

I for one would not want to buy a larger monitor that is capable of 1920 x 1200 native resolution or higher only to find out my video card is good up to 1440 x 900 max. Yes, I know you can switch the monitor driver to lower resolution but it sure won't look as good.

Also keep in mind that if your computer and graphics card don't have the horsepower to provide decent frame rates for games on a larger higher resolution monitor then why bother.

Shouldn't have a problem with play but appearance of games written for 4:3 resolution will be stretched. If you don't like the stretched look I know the Nvidia card allows switching to Nvidia scaling which gives you black vertical bars on left and right side of screen making a 4:3 display in the middle. Everything will look normal instead of being stretched.