How Do You Define Wealth?

chuenjit

in my view, freedom is a by product of wealth.... and I do like freedom the most, so that is why I would want wealth...

You sound like you need to win the lottery :D actually I wouldn't mind a bit of that meself :) .

But consider this...do wealthy people have freedom? Scrutinized, criticized, hounded by jealous persons, the press, taxman, rivals, your'e talking money (wealth) here. The OP has clearly stated that his question does not involve money alone.

[

"Freedom is just another word for nothing else to lose" - Janis Joplin from the song Bobby McGee.

3. Me and Bobby McGee (Foster/Kristofferson) - 4:18

Busted flat in Baton Rouge

Headin for the train

Feeking nearly faded as my jeans

Bobby thumbed a diesel down

Just before it rained

Took us all the way to New Orleans

Arguably one of the best songs of the 20th century, Janis Joplin's version is better known than Kristofferson's. Who can forget the immortal line "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"?I still don't know what it means, but I know I like it.

me2

Wealth has EVERYTHING to do about money and nothing to do about happiness or health. Wealth is a sliding scale depending on the social bracket someone lives in. If I'm in a poor Thai village then I would be considered wealthy because I can afford more than the peasants around me. If I'm with a bunch of doctors, lawyers or business CEOs then I'm a pauper. Many people think I'm rich because of my "appeared" life style, but I'm just a poor pensioner living well on what I have.

As someone already stated, wealth does not ensure happiness, but if used wisely it can. It is much better to have more than you can spend than not enough to live on. But, a little struggle in life is always good for us. It helps us to work at achieving more... materially or spiritually.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"?I still don't know what it means, but I know I like it.

me2

Quite simply it means if you don't have anything then you are free to do what you want without worry. There is nothing to lose and everything to gain. It is only when we start worrying about losing our possessions that we start getting tied down.

[

"Freedom is just another word for nothing else to lose" - Janis Joplin from the song Bobby McGee.

3. Me and Bobby McGee (Foster/Kristofferson) - 4:18

Busted flat in Baton Rouge

Headin for the train

Feeking nearly faded as my jeans

Bobby thumbed a diesel down

Just before it rained

Took us all the way to New Orleans

Arguably one of the best songs of the 20th century, Janis Joplin's version is better known than Kristofferson's. Who can forget the immortal line "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"?I still don't know what it means, but I know I like it.

me2

Guys don't forget the Grateful Dead version(double live'71)i agree one of the best songs!

Wealth is normally related with money,but health is more valuable.Culture too is more important than money in my opinion.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"?I still don't know what it means, but I know I like it.

me2

Quite simply it means if you don't have anything then you are free to do what you want without worry. There is nothing to lose and everything to gain. It is only when we start worrying about losing our possessions that we start getting tied down.

If you have nothing you will be worrying about food and shelter....you still have to live after all

me2

If you have nothing you will be worrying about food and shelter....you still have to live after all

That is true, but you can have a job that pays enough to live on but still not own anything. And, in western countries we have a welfare system that takes care of basic needs. Many of our First Nations people own nothing and don't have a care in the world. I know several men who own absolutely nothing but a small suitcase of clothes, but they know how to make money and can travel where ever they please. Are they wealthy? No, but they are rich in experiences.

I consider myself rich, but I'm certainly not wealthy. I have good health, enough money to do most everything I enjoy doing and an exciting life. My possesions are only toys to enrich my life and if I lost them all I could start again. I live for 5 months of the year in Thailand with nothing but my camera, a laptop, my art supplies and some fishing tackle... and enough clothes for modesty sake. I have more beautiful young lovers than any old fart is entitled to, so by any comparison I'm rich.

in my view, freedom is a by product of wealth.... and I do like freedom the most, so that is why I would want wealth...

You sound like you need to win the lottery :D actually I wouldn't mind a bit of that meself :) .

But consider this...do wealthy people have freedom? Scrutinized, criticized, hounded by jealous persons, the press, taxman, rivals, your'e talking money (wealth) here. The OP has clearly stated that his question does not involve money alone.

Those are minor by products of wealth that frankly, I could cope with.

Tax man, you want 40% of my Billion Dollars.... No problem, I still have a yaht, a job that is really a hobby that I could walk away from, zero worries about money etc....

That is freedom to me.

Not that I admire the guy, but that Madoff character, got the easy way out. He will be dead soon, at 72 so who cares if you get locked up for a 2% of your life when you lived his life style, well worth it. He should get to try out "old sparky."

44 posts down and we still haven't been even close to come up with a good definition of "wealth". It is like asking a bunch of Isaan farmers to comment on quantum physics. "Hey, hand me that Mekong whiskey, and by the way what do you think about Heidelberg uncertainty principle, Schrödinger's dead cat and the tunnel effect?"...eh, more ice left?

Lets face it, none of us are truly wealthy, so we don't really know how to define wealth. Mai pen rai, we are a happy bunch and know how to enjoy life. :D:D:)

44 posts down and we still haven't been even close to come up with a good definition of "wealth". It is like asking a bunch of Isaan farmers to comment on quantum physics. "Hey, hand me that Mekong whiskey, and by the way what do you think about Heidelberg uncertainty principle, Schrödinger's dead cat and the tunnel effect?"...eh, more ice left?

Lets face it, none of us are truly wealthy, so we don't really know how to define wealth. Mai pen rai, we are a happy bunch and know how to enjoy life. :D:D:)

Everyone has its owns interpretation. As I said, mine is:

You are wealthy when you are happy with waht you have!

PS if you pass me the Mekong we can go a bit deeper into this subject, lol ..........

When one has more than enough.

Therein lies the problem. "Enough" seems to be a moving target for a lot of people, myself included. And for others, it seems "it is never enough". So if you never reach "enough" whatever that may be, you'd never consider yourself wealthy?

Im not wealthy if i live in Europe.

But if I live in a low cost country, then I will have more than enough, and can consider myself somewhat wealthy.

There IS no exact definition of wealth. I already stated that.

"Wealth has EVERYTHING to do about money and nothing to do about happiness or health. Wealth is a sliding scale depending on the social bracket someone lives in."

Others have given their interpretation of happiness, but it has little to do with wealth. It is defined in most dictionaries. There is a slight difference in meaning between the words wealth and rich. I think some people confuse the two. Wealth usually means an abundance of something... and it's usually related to monetary things. You could be wealthy in land holdings but poor in disposable cash. You could be rich in knowledge and experiences, but poor in monetary items.

Wealthy, rich, fortunate, blessed, privileged, All these words get jumbled up in their meaning. Personally I never use wealth to mean anything other than material worth. The other words have more emotional connotations attached.

To me, wealth is determined by how much more your money works for you than you work for your money.

When you don't wonder what it means.

I'd have to go with the concepts of 'zero stress when it comes to finances' and 'first world standard without working.' Although I'd change it to 'working when you choose to' instead of not working at all. Only because it's easy to lose touch when everything is on autopilot, it's comfortable, but family wise it's likely to mean the next generation of your family will lose a lot of it, if not all of it, as they won't have what it takes to run everything, much less keep it growing.

:)