Safe-t-cut

JimGant

After reading about Safe-T-Cuts here on this forum, it's time I had them installed. But perusing through Home Pro, and the options available there, I'm a little uncertain about what to get, and how difficult it is to install.

Is there an electrical business that specializes in Safe-T-Cuts here in Chiang Mai? If not, is there a store that at least is very knowledgeable about this, and who would also install?

I don't really trust my jack-of-all trades "electrician" to properly install (although they probably are easy to do -- just put them in-line with the current entering the circuit box(?)). Also, I have two power supplies/houses -- one is single phase and the other triple phase, so I'll need Safe-T-Cuts for both.

All advice, even to questions I should have asked, welcomed.

Thanx.

After reading about Safe-T-Cuts here on this forum, it's time I had them installed. But perusing through Home Pro, and the options available there, I'm a little uncertain about what to get, and how difficult it is to install.

Is there an electrical business that specializes in Safe-T-Cuts here in Chiang Mai? If not, is there a store that at least is very knowledgeable about this, and who would also install?

I don't really trust my jack-of-all trades "electrician" to properly install (although they probably are easy to do -- just put them in-line with the current entering the circuit box(?)). Also, I have two power supplies/houses -- one is single phase and the other triple phase, so I'll need Safe-T-Cuts for both.

All advice, even to questions I should have asked, welcomed.

Thanx.

I would trust Prathom with any electrical issue. This is his profession, and he has wired my house many times in a most most professional and safe way...

Prathom 01-706-6939

I have had sales rep in my home and visited their Safe-T-Cut showroom and as far as I can tell, they are a factory authorized dealer that sells nothing else.

The shop is located on the north side of the super-highway within 1000 meters of its intersection with Mae Rim Road heading east ie. On the opposite side of the super-highway from the IT Center.

They quoted me 17k installed for my three phase system.

I opted to ground my electrical appliances individually and saved 14K baht.

I really wasn't worried that I needed a device that would detect electrical energy escaping from my wiring.

You might try the yellow pages as they are good with electrical suppliers.

Unfortunately grounding is not going to protect you unless that ground gets the charge and trips a breaker - if you happen to be in the path of the charge when it happens the time to trip could be the last breath you take. (that alarmist enough) :o

Although it may only "be energy escaping from your wiring" it is quite common for that to occur when you touch a live wire/case and I am almost sure they have not grounded your electric lights. Anything with a two pin plug is still a danger with just a wire ground.

Seriously the Safe-t-Cut/ELCB service to stop a charge in 30 milliseconds or less and will likely save your life even in the worst situations. Although only required in bath and pool areas by US codes it is much more important in a situation as here where we often walk in bare/sweaty feed on tile or marble and touch cement or tile walls. In the US most walls are gypsum and floors are carpet with rubber under it which make it very hard to get a shock.

ELCB also protects if the ground is removed and was never installed so it may not have been the best savings. As three phase power would have required three of the normal safety cut units the 17k total was probably not that extreme.

I have a simple looking brown bakelite switch with 'safety breaker' written on the label in line with my hot water shower supply , which has no earth. there is also some sort of breaker in the water heater itself, which is brand new and has 'breaker 30amp' written on the side.

ELCB s I have seen in the UK look a bit more sophisticated than this switch and I wonder if I should look around for something that is actually called an ELCB.

Any comments.

Edited by spacebass

I have a simple looking brown bakelite switch with 'safety breaker' written on the label in line with my hot water shower supply ,  which has no earth. there is also some sort of breaker in the water heater itself, which is brand new and has 'breaker 30amp' written on the side.

ELCB s I have seen in the UK look a bit more sophisticated than this switch and I wonder if I should look around for something that is actually called an ELCB.

Any comments.

The brown switch is just an on/off breaker rated to trip at the marked amperage - it has little safety value. The breaker built into the heater will be a ELCB type and there should be a push switch to test it with (do so very week or two to keep it free moving). But you do require a ground wire from the case to a ground stake or electric ground. Please do ground it as this is the most dangerous item in your home if not grounded. The ELCB should protect you but if it fails with you covered in water the result would not be pleasant.

I have a simple looking brown bakelite switch with 'safety breaker' written on the label in line with my hot water shower supply ,  which has no earth. there is also some sort of breaker in the water heater itself, which is brand new and has 'breaker 30amp' written on the side.

Any comments.

The brown switch is just an on/off breaker rated to trip at the marked amperage - it has little safety value. The breaker built into the heater will be a ELCB type and there should be a push switch to test it with (do so very week or two to keep it free moving). But you do require a ground wire from the case to a ground stake or electric ground. Please do ground it as this is the most dangerous item in your home if not grounded. The ELCB should protect you but if it fails with you covered in water the result would not be pleasant.

Thanks lopburi the heater does have an 'elcb' test button on the front.

Edited by spacebass