30 Day Margin Nongkhai

Next to other new rules, now you can only renew your ret visa AT LEAST 30 days before expiring.

Come within a month and there is no renewal. This is in a letter they have send to a few farang and it has been checked at the Immigration Office in person by a guy.

To quote K. Lopburi3 regarding the Nong Khai office:

"Yes - you are talking only about worst case scenario. Most people will not require anything but the Embassy letter as issued in English or Thai."

I'm waiting for: "Bring me the broomstick of the Wicked Witch of the West"

I will try to extend my stay here based on retirement next Monday. In other words, I will try to renew my ret visa. I will let you know. But if you don't believe me, just ask and I will scan the letters from this office tomorrow and send them to you.

Also in a Korat forum people doubt my messages. OK, no problem. I simply repeat here what's in their letters.

LiteBeer, one letter I have here now, the second one I will look for tomorrow. But how do I paste a jpg here ? Or shall I send them to you in a personal message ? I can, of course, type the most "loaded" sentences here.

Sorry, English is a foreign language to me.....

There is a report in UdonMap dot com today of a guy who went to Nong Khai yesterday to renew his extension, based on retirement.

His current extension expires on 8 August, and he had no problems renewing.

I think the OP needs to be taken with some caution.

Thanks for that. The notice is old and rather out of date. 3rd December.

For instance the money in the bank has to be there for 2 months for the fist application. Not 3.

The letter from the Embassy does not have to be verified by MFA any more although I have seen the odd instance when Nong Khai have still asked for this.

I suspect that your other letter is probably worded wrong but would like to see it.

I am glad that a person in Udon got his ret extension last week, and I read in the Koratfarang forum the same. But this piece of paper was given to me this month. And about Chaeng Wattana, the officer was absolutely sure that even a statement in English (and the Dutch embassy issues this in English) should be verified too.

I am waiting for the other letter, which was send to a farang here. In English. I hope today.

What the Immigration in Nong Khai are saying is that you can only apply for your retirement/marriage extension WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE VISA EXPIRY !

eg.If your expiry date is 30th September you can only apply from 1st September....not in August,for instance.

The requirement in Nong Khai is the same as most other offices. You make application for extension of stay during the last 30 days of your permitted to stay. This is verified by numerous reports as current as yesterday.

Got the text. Is says..

"If you need to extend your stay in the kingdom please contact.....etc...during office hour ...etc... 30 days before your expiry date. "

It is obvious they forgot one or a few words.

I read this.

"I think the OP needs to be taken with some caution. "

Jackspratt, what did you mean ?

Simply that, based on other evidence and experiences, the "more than 30 day" application period may not be correct - and readers should be cautious.

And this seems supported by your update yesterday, which to me is suggesting (and not prescribing) an application should be made around 30 days.

OP = Original Post (not always Poster).

And that's what I said here. The letter is not clearly stating things and that confuses me and some people here. I think it is "within 30 days" as in last week's messages. All's well that ends well.