Ordering A Civic

Tywais

After 3 years plus procrastinating buying a new car I took the plunge today. Went to the Honda dealer on Hang Dong road just south of Lotus as it is convenient to where I live. Walked in the door and started admiring a black 2.0 Civic navi on the showroom floor and within seconds had a sales lady come over to assist me. First I asked how much off the list price? Without hesitating, 20,000 Baht - so seems some promotion going on. Next, how long to wait for delivery? 2.5 to 3 months which is what I've read others were experiencing in other locations in Thailand.

After deciding on my color, set down to do the paperwork for ordering and financing. I had already printed out the online form showing the down payment and the balloon payment option. She wasn't familiar with this payment method and made a quick call and it was verified to her they can do it. Though I did have to explain it in detail how it worked. :)

I did not need a guarantor signature since I am putting down 50%, not sure how much the work permit attributed to that. Just copies of my work permit, visa and university 6 month pay statement. Discussed insurance next and from reading in the motor forum a member saying you can up the insurance to 90% rather then the 80% standard so I elected that for an additional 2000 Baht per year. Also verified it comes with a 200,000 Baht bails bond. Total cost for the insurance, 20k for one year. As usual for Honda, they wouldn't throw that in for free for the Civic. Believe the CRV and Accord they do.

She gave me the option of getting a red plate or leaving it bare back since it would be about 2 months to get the plates for it. Also, all the ordering forms had both Thai and English on them and she also explained every line so I knew what I was signing. :D

I ordered the 1.8 E AS(AT) top 1.8 without Navigator.

BTW - there is a white Civic on the showroom floor fully dressed out in all skirting and spoiler, it looked like a higher end kit then the standard Honda Modulo. Had a charcoal grey leather interior and when I looked inside saw racing pedals. Very nice looking car.

Very good service and paint spraying department there also for back up.

The Jazz doesn't come with free insurance either and mine cost more than 20K and that was only for 80% value. 2nd year loses another 10% on value but I upped mine to 80% (should have been 70) as I considered the second value more in line with 80%.

We also paid an extra 3500b or so deposit for the red plates which we had returned after 2 months or so.

I'm impressed with this dealership.

Regards Bojo

The Jazz doesn't come with free insurance either and mine cost more than 20K and that was only for 80% value.

We also paid an extra 3500b or so deposit for the red plates which we had returned after 2 months or so.

In my case I'm the only one that drives the car, the wife has her own, and that made it 5k less using the single driver option. Yep, 3500B deposit and two months wait for plates.

I did forget one thing and that was to request an English language owners manual. Were you able to do that?

insurance came free with my 2006 Civic for the first year, that was in Bangkok! I wonder if it is just that some dealers do not provide for it. we also got it free for a jazz 2006 and an Accord 2008.

the civic is a very nice car to drive. you will be very happy for it I am sure.

I did forget one thing and that was to request an English language owners manual. Were you able to do that?

Should be no problem, Tywais, got them for both our Jazz and the CRV. If they don't have one in stock, they'll order one for you. Should be no charge either.

All in all, I'm very pleased with every dealing I've had with Honda (mainly at their other branch on the ring road), and love their products.

Tywais - thanks for that info on purchasing, It would be good if you could post a test report in a few weeks time.

I am starting to get a bit peeved with the pickup scene and are looking at a comfortable saloon.

The Civic 1.8, Altis 1.8 & the new 2.0L Altis are on my shopping list - not all of them!.

It sounds as if buying a Civic is as pleasant an experiance as buying my Toyota was. Did you get taken out for lunch by the sales lady and her girlfriend like I didwit the Toyata ? It shows Chiangmai has nice people.

Edited by harrry

It sounds as if buying a Civic is as pleasant an experiance as buying my Toyota was. Did you get taken out for lunch by the sales lady and her girlfriend like I didwit the Toyata ? It shows Chiangmai has nice people.

nah, not inBangkok. My guy just dribbled and said sign there.