Two Foreigners Nabbed For Credit Card Fraud

churchill

BANGKOK, July 28 (TNA) – Bangkok Expressway Police on Tuesday detained two men, an Indian national and a British national, for alleged credit card forgery.

Vigilent police at a Bangkok expressway checkpoint noticed the unauthorised licence plate and on the men’s vehicle and searched their pick-up truck.

The authorities identified the two foreigners as Udhayasurian Prabu, 21, an Indian national and Inbarajan Ponnuthurat, 26, a British national.

The two men were detained at Prachachuen Toll Plaza after police found 160 counterfeit credit cards hidden in the vehicle along with 70,300 baht in cash, two passports and car rental documents.

The duo allegedly tried to bribe the police with 5,000 baht cash in order to avoid detention. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 28/07/09http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=11025

The two men were detained at Prachachuen Toll Plaza after police found 160 counterfeit credit cards hidden in the vehicle along with 70,300 baht in cash, two passports and car rental documents.

The duo allegedly tried to bribe the police with 5,000 baht cash in order to avoid detention. (TNA)

If nothing else, it serves them right for being so tight.

"The authorities identified the two foreigners as Udhayasurian Prabu, 21, an Indian national and Inbarajan Ponnuthurat, 26, a British national."

Good old Inbarajan, you don't get more British than that! Tea and Cricket anyone?

Do the police normally search vehicles which are stopped for having 'unauthorised license plates' ?

i have never seen a police man do a plate check .... do they do them? or is this another ' Set Up ' ????

maybe if they gave the full 70 K cash and a couple of credit cards to spend in tesco lotus it would never of made thavisa :)

"The authorities identified the two foreigners as Udhayasurian Prabu, 21, an Indian national and Inbarajan Ponnuthurat, 26, a British national."

Good old Inbarajan, you don't get more British than that! Tea and Cricket anyone?

LMFAO, very true.

Brigante7.

LMFAO, very true.

Brigante7.

not long ago in singapore a few scams involving indian british passport holders were held for the almost same reasons. in hongkong , these people are known to sell fake passports. in some other countries nearby, these people with some nepalese, were known for their inside-jobs of the criminal kind, i.e. they bribe people who work inside places they want to carry out their criminal activities.

Vigilent police at a Bangkok expressway checkpoint noticed the unauthorised licence plate and on the men's vehicle and searched their pick-up truck.

Since when have police been "vigilent"? Exactly what constitutes an "unauthorised licence plate"?

Too right!

That's obviously the Indian part coming out.... add another zero to the equation I think they would've been on their way unhindered. :)

Chances are they did an extra round of checks when a 'kaek' had a British passport...incase it was fake.

(Yes, I know why so many Indians have British passports, but does the Thai Police?)

Several of the comments have nothing to do with the headline and seem to be dancing around rule #7 of the forum rules - 7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Vigilent police at a Bangkok expressway checkpoint noticed the unauthorised licence plate and on the men's vehicle and searched their pick-up truck.

Since when have police been "vigilent"? Exactly what constitutes an "unauthorised licence plate"?

Oh I don't know, certain things seem to inspire great vigilance.

Exactly what constitutes an "unauthorised licence plate"?

is a red plate after 6pm outside of its registered province ? there are some rules as to where and when you can drive on red plates I think.

but then either a tip off or 2 very nervous people gave the game away.

Exactly what constitutes an "unauthorised licence plate"?

When the plates are made by a steel/aluminum shop instead of by the Land Transport dept. I see them all the time. The spacing and font are usually just a little off. Another easy one is when it doesn't match the yearly registration sticker (although they usually have to get close to read it... toll stops and random checks allow for this close up inspection).

Also, police seem to think that truck owners are only a step up from being from the lowest socio-economic class and thus most easily picked on.

:)

Hello, the 5,000 baht bribe would never be enough. The BIB like to go fishing when they see foreigners with a small infraction like the licence plate problem, and I like to see them burn a pirate. There should be another promotion or two for the expressway BIB for doing a great job to make things more safe. Cheers.

5000 THB especially not enough considering having 160 counterfeit cards.... with potentially a combined potential of a million dollars? Honestly, criminals these days are getting tighter and tighter! Must be the recession.

I have been stopped several times in Bangkok and I believe that it's largely due to the fact I've got Chonburi license plates and I'm a foreigner. Am I being over-cynical? Seriously, I've never committed any traffic offence on those occasions to the best of my knowledge so I could well imagine that the reason for the stop in this case was genuine.

As for searching the truck, do they have the power to do that?

A lot more Tea and Cricket in India than Britain, old boy!

Several of the comments have nothing to do with the headline and seem to be dancing around rule #7 of the forum rules - 7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

If you are talking about something and that something happens to involve people of a certain race or colour or whatever, does that make it racist or any of the other bullshit that white people get accused of on a daily basis? No it doesn't/

I can't stand all the Indian tailors that try to harass me to go into their shop's and if I talk about it does that make me a racist? No it doesn't.

Now if I said all pakistanis were dirty muslim terrorists then that would be racist.

Brigante7.

As for searching the truck, do they have the power to do that?

We are not in Kansas anymore Dorothy.

Take everything you know about 'procedures' from TV and through it out the window, the rules here are different.

• 4 weeks later...

Just hold on there, Are we not talking about bkk here?

So would not the correct term be............... Tea and crumpet? :)