Good Live Music In Chiang Mai

muggins

Richie performs on Saturday nights at I think 11pm at GuitarMan. He is one of the best performers I've ever heard live. Great voice, great guitar skills, great performer, and friendly personality. He should be performing in clubs in New York City or someplace that can pay him what his talent deserves. Having a performer like him in CM is a real treat.

:)

It's funny that those who are into blues or jazz tend to knock any other sound. While I'm not into reggae or the usual Hotel California type stuff and find jazz and blues limiting/lacking emotion, I wouldn't knock someone's own preferences (unless provoked) and find it pretty childish of those who do. Each to their own but perhaps the title should just be, Good Live Music in Chiang Mai without the cheap swipe...

The entire Hotel California L.P. was amazing when it first came out. It was so good that it has been very much overplayed - something like the Beatles or Stones - but that should not reflect on the total worth of the album! :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

It's funny that those who are into blues or jazz tend to knock any other sound. While I'm not into reggae or the usual Hotel California type stuff and find jazz and blues limiting/lacking emotion, I wouldn't knock someone's own preferences (unless provoked) and find it pretty childish of those who do. Each to their own but perhaps the title should just be, Good Live Music in Chiang Mai without the cheap swipe...

First of all, it's not funny at all!! And as you so rightly said it was childish of me to be so inconsiderate to peoples feelings, even if they are reggae fans. You raised a very valid point, which shouldn't be taken too lightly. Knocking someones musical interests is a very serious offence and quite rightly shouldn't go unnoticed. In a moment of insensitivity I've probably upset many Reggae and Eagles fans and all I can say is I am deeply, deeply sorry and I hope you can all find it in your heart  to forgive me. I promise that so long as I contribute to this forum I will do my uptmost to consider the feelings of people of all musical tastes. I'll even forgive you for your ignorant belief that jazz and blues are limiting/lacking emotion. 

And I mean that most sincerely folks, I really do.

post-54542-1250060299_thumb.jpg

To the Mods: Is it possible to change the title of a thread? If so, I would like it changed to ...

'Good Live Music in Chiang Mai without the cheap swipe...'

Hotel California is such a classic and so beloved here (hence overplayed by local bands with some amusingly mangled lyrics) that it has become a bit of a joke. Guitarman used to have a sign onstage with rules of the house, one being no playing of said song will not be tolerated. The local "Leggae" seems to have lost some popularity but is probably still bubbling in Pai. I like some of the small local (Thai) acoustic combos playing around town, no lack of emotion in those songs.

Hotel California is such a classic and so beloved here (hence overplayed by local bands with some amusingly mangled lyrics) that it has become a bit of a joke. Guitarman used to have a sign onstage with rules of the house, one being playing of said song will not be tolerated. The local "Leggae" seems to have lost some popularity but is probably still bubbling in Pai. I like some of the small local (Thai) acoustic combos playing around town, no lack of emotion in those songs.

I had a Thai restaurant with Live music and I also banned Hotel California for the same reason. Great song but please ... not again. In the old days every man and his guitar knew the same 12 Farang songs so wherever you went it was the same routine, different player. Handy Man, Country Loads, Leaving on a jet plane, Sutters Mill, I started a joke (Me: 'I'm gonna start a fight if you play that song again') and best of all .....Puff the Magic Dragon. I jest not!!

Reggae is now compulsory in all bars in Pai with the exception of BeBop.

First of all, it's not funny at all!! And as you so rightly said it was childish of me to be so inconsiderate to peoples feelings, even if they are reggae fans. You raised a very valid point, which shouldn't be taken too lightly. Knocking someones musical interests is a very serious offence and quite rightly shouldn't go unnoticed. In a moment of insensitivity I've probably upset many Reggae and Eagles fans and all I can say is I am deeply, deeply sorry and I hope you can all find it in your heart  to forgive me. I promise that so long as I contribute to this forum I will do my uptmost to consider the feelings of people of all musical tastes. I'll even forgive you for your ignorant belief that jazz and blues are limiting/lacking emotion. 

No need to be flippant now, Mike; but you're right, it was a bit ignorant of me saying jazz/blues lacked emotion. I was seeing a bit of red from my younger days when the lads would take the piss of my like for Pink Floyd and other classic rock when they were into Duran Duran et al. The moral being that music is a very personal thing and anybody who disses your preference is out of order and needs a right kick in the short n curlies. :)

Anyway, all very OT... live joints - has that place up from the Dukes been mentioned with the big bird with the crackin voice? Think they also did the front area at Riverside. Always found the bar band in Riverside do a good spread, too. Bebop in Pai was also pretty decent. Is it still up n running?

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see anywhere on this thread where people were knocking anyone else's musical taste. I mentioned in another post that the college students generally don't like good blues music. I said that they preferred Thai pop music and hip-hop. Nowhere did I criticize other styles of music. I worked in the music industry for more than 25 years and worked with artists from all genres.

How anyone could find find jazz and the blues "limiting/lacking emotion" is beyond me!

Edited by elektrified

No need to be flippant now, Mike; but you're right, it was a bit ignorant of me saying jazz/blues lacked emotion.  Bebop in Pai was also pretty decent. Is it still up n running?

It's quaint to see you persisting with the Mike Hunt joke. With a sense of humour like that I imagine you are a member of the Hash too? :)

The idea that Jazz blues lacks emotion quite amazed me. I thought that that's all that jazz was about - emotion. I happened to have liked both Pink Floyd and Duran Duran and also got to like a very wide range of music including jazz, Blues, Country, Soul  and even a lot of the modern bands such as Arctic Monkeys, Razorlight, Killers etc. My only complaint is hearing the bands all playing the same music. I like Reggae but after 3 days of being in Pai I don't want to hear it again for another year. In fact they don't even play Reggae - they just play Bob Marley, no Linton Kwesi Johnson, Burning Spear, Steel Pulse, peter Tosh. Bebop is still up and running but when I went a month ago we were the first customers at about 10.30 and it never got busy at all. Low season was very low.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to Guitarman on Friday because having only got to know Zydeco/Cajun music a couple of years ago I never thought I'd get to hear it in Chiang Mai, and by a real pro, too.

One other memorable night there was when two french guys played guitar and fiddle ala Quintet de Hot Club de France. They were brilliant but like they said, it is a limited market for them. Again, I never thought we'd get the chance to hear it here. Anyway, that was the point of my topic - good Live music but something a bit different, not same old, same old.

No need to be flippant now, Mike; but you're right, it was a bit ignorant of me saying jazz/blues lacked emotion.  Bebop in Pai was also pretty decent. Is it still up n running?

It's quaint to see you persisting with the Mike Hunt joke. With a sense of humour like that I imagine you are a member of the Hash too? :)

The idea that Jazz blues lacks emotion quite amazed me. I thought that that's all that jazz was about - emotion. I happened to have liked both Pink Floyd and Duran Duran and also got to like a very wide range of music including jazz, Blues, Country, Soul  and even a lot of the modern bands such as Arctic Monkeys, Razorlight, Killers etc. My only complaint is hearing the bands all playing the same music. I like Reggae but after 3 days of being in Pai I don't want to hear it again for another year. In fact they don't even play Reggae - they just play Bob Marley, no Linton Kwesi Johnson, Burning Spear, Steel Pulse, peter Tosh. Bebop is still up and running but when I went a month ago we were the first customers at about 10.30 and it never got busy at all. Low season was very low.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to Guitarman on Friday because having only got to know Zydeco/Cajun music a couple of years ago I never thought I'd get to hear it in Chiang Mai, and by a real pro, too.

One other memorable night there was when two french guys played guitar and fiddle ala Quintet de Hot Club de France. They were brilliant but like they said, it is a limited market for them. Again, I never thought we'd get the chance to hear it here. Anyway, that was the point of my topic - good Live music but something a bit different, not same old, same old.

There was a punk rock club up the road from the Irish Pub a few years back, Thai punk rockers are always entertaining :D

There was a punk rock club up the road from the Irish Pub a few years back, Thai punk rockers are always entertaining :)

Poys Pocket or something like that? - now Chiang Mai Saloon2.

I saw a great punk/ska band at Differ club (what was Simon Cabaret). It was absolutely brilliant seeing the energy and enjoyment of the crowd. And the band was very good. I'd only gone there to see what the place was. As good as it was I decided that since me and my mate were the only 2 farangs and we were the oldest people in there by 30 years at least, it wasn't the place for us. A great band and a fun night, nonetheless. I did hear that there will be a new punk band coming to Gutarman soon. Now were talking.

I've got some good news, better news and even better news. 

First of all I can confirm to those that wanted to know that Craig will be playing his Washtub Bass at the Guitarman tomorrow. With Craig on washtub and Eddie Baytos on washboard it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity to get your undies washed and listen to some great music. 

The other good news is that Joe Cummings will be making a return visit, after his memorable nights at Guitarman a year or so ago with The Tonic Rays, to play with Eddie.

And the best news is that due to popular demand they will be playing an extra night - Saturday.

It's Friday already, so I'm off to get some shut eye - if I can....

Edited by KevinHunt

You're a well informed guy, KevinHunt :D

I have my finger on the pulse, my foot in the door, my eyes peeled and my ear to the ground. Not to mention I like to keep my chin up and and my chest out.

Which may go some way to explaining my strange disposition, I suppose. :)

I'll see and hear you later.

By the way I've got a nice set of smelly tennis gear for your men with the washtub and washboard. I'll bring the Omo.

Edited by KevinHunt