Isarn And 'khrap'

Neeranam

"ee" in standard Thai is an impolite female prefix, not something you should use lightly, if ever, unless you are sure of its implications.

In the past, it used to be a neutral commonplace female prefix, and today is still less impolite in a dialectal context.

It is jokingly used among *very* close friends even in Central Thai. Not something to emulate unless you already have very good control of the language.

As noted before, we farang are judged using a different yardstick than that used between fellow Thais.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jup I got told like that.....

the male form should be something like ae, or?

(heared it many times if they see africans "ae dum")

or ae keg (not sure these means indians or muslim, but as well not nice)

what should be also very low class......

"ee" in standard Thai is an impolite female prefix, not something you should use lightly, if ever, unless you are sure of its implications.

In the past, it used to be a neutral commonplace female prefix, and today is still less impolite in a dialectal context.

It is jokingly used among *very* close friends even in Central Thai. Not something to emulate unless you already have very good control of the language.

As noted before, we farang are judged using a different yardstick than that used between fellow Thais.

ai meadish: (lol just joking :o:D )

yes very rude and very very common (at least in the south) but in the daily use not meant that bad.

Actually my wife likes the muslim in the south very much. Once my wife saw a muslim selling some food in Pattaya and she straight called him ae kek and something more I did not understand, both spoke 30 min had a big laugh together, nearly rolling on the floor.

I did not understand anything because deep south slang+my wife can understand/speak a little bit this other language (called jawi or something like that).

Actually very mysterious experience. I guess if I call them like that they either think I am an idiot or they kill me.....

maybe when I see an Austrian somewhere who speak the dialekt that I know he must come from very close to my house, I can also call him for joke something very bad and he will be funny hearing that far away from at home....

But I don't know...

Yep. The male prefix is 'ai' [short, falling tone], the vowel sound as in German "scheisse".

Both of the examples you mention are very rude ways of referring to Black and Muslim people.

In Issan อ้าย long 'ai' is a term of respect to an older man, it seems central Thai shortened it to a term of abuse, Issan people often seem to call older brothers or people considered older and worthy of respect พี่อ้าย pee ai

In Issan อ้าย long 'ai' is a term of respect to an older man, it seems central Thai shortened it to a term of abuse, Issan people often seem to call older brothers or people considered older and worthy of respect พี่อ้าย pee ai

interesting!

In the south it is for sure bad, if not used in a joke....

that might be the reason why the southies do not like the issan people :o:D

In the North as well, but the tone length is crucial. Dunno about Isaan, but up here people differentiate between the two. "aai daeng" and "ai daeng" are two very different ways of addressing the same person.

I listend to the office talk.

My wife to her sister: ee sister (yes sister in english)

My wife to the accounting: ee accounting or ee caow (translated rice), the accounting is a friend of family since generations

both younger....

our freelance he is a lot older: if he is drunk, ai (or ee sometimes) mau achief (spelling??) or else Mr (yes english) Phalat or Khun Phalat.

While he speak to my wife as chee (spelling??? like the first name of Fidel Castros friend), but mainly when he want to borrow money, take beer or take ciggarets, which is all the time.

accounting are calling my wife simply Ooy (her name).

If there is any otherside in the office or on the phone, than everything is different and always Khun and first name. If that someone is a good friend everyone is calling the other with khun+nickname.

Actually there is strikt that there MUST be always Khun but only if any otherside are near.....

And when time to close company and 5 southis speak I think in my office now they kill each other, but no they are just funny, but extrem lowed also the ladies.....

In the North as well, but the tone length is crucial. Dunno about Isaan, but up here people differentiate between the two. "aai daeng" and "ai daeng" are two very different ways of addressing the same person.

At our house the language usually spoken is Kam Muang. The different lengths in the word aai and ai got my poor 2 year old in trouble when he used the wrong one to call his older brother. :D I walked in the room to find one in tears and one steaming mad. Then my older son, who's 5, gave his father a short talk on how important it is to teach "some people" to speak politely to their older brothers. :o

Turned out to be an unfortunately painful way to learn for the little guy, but he hasn't made the mistake since then. :D

Cheers,

TT

At our house the language usually spoken is Kam Muang. The different lengths in the word aai and ai got my poor 2 year old in trouble when he used the wrong one to call his older brother. :D I walked in the room to find one in tears and one steaming mad. Then my older son, who's 5, gave his father a short talk on how important it is to teach "some people" to speak politely to their older brothers. :D

Turned out to be an unfortunately painful way to learn for the little guy, but he hasn't made the mistake since then. :D

Cheers,

TT

:o:D:D

At our house the language usually spoken is Kam Muang. The different lengths in the word aai and ai got my poor 2 year old in trouble when he used the wrong one to call his older brother. :D I walked in the room to find one in tears and one steaming mad. Then my older son, who's 5, gave his father a short talk on how important it is to teach "some people" to speak politely to their older brothers. :D

Cheers,

TT

:D:D:D

Sounds harsh, doesn't it? :D But to put it in perspective, the older one's going through an "I hate my little brother and wish he'd never been born" phase, so every little offence is punishable if he can get away with it. :o