Burger Joints Close

Farangdanny

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woody's Aussie Burger is really hard to beat.

I agree with you on that UG.

I think it is interesting to keep in mind how different nationalities like their own variation of food even when it is something as simple as a burger.

A point to keep in mind guys is that I am happy for people to put up recomendations of favourite places but let's keep the blatent self promotion to a minimum.

Lastly in a personal note:

I like Woody's Aussie burger, CM Saloon's Cheese burger, and the Blue Cheese burger from The Dukes.

CB

(amazed that we are back to Best Burger in CM again for the 37th time)

Only 37?

Having eaten in some of the better foundain soda type places in SF, I had high expectations...

I took the wife to JJ and it was terrible...wouldn't go back and definately would not recommend it...

The cmu crowd cannot afford nor like that type of food..Places like this need to survive on foreigners...but that wasn't the main problem...

CB

I went to Spanky's - or is it Spankys. Quite reasoanble - possibly the best I've had in Chiang Mai - the only other one that was anywhere near good would have been Chiangmai Saloon and that would have been years ago. Service with a smile - and no jerking around - so definitely puts it above 95% of farang-oriented places. They do have unfeasibly tight opening hours and they're in a bad location. They're even planning on shutting up shop for best part of a month. They won't survive.

I went to Spanky's - or is it Spankys. Quite reasoanble - possibly the best I've had in Chiang Mai - the only other one that was anywhere near good would have been Chiangmai Saloon and that would have been years ago. Service with a smile - and no jerking around - so definitely puts it above 95% of farang-oriented places. They do have unfeasibly tight opening hours and they're in a bad location. They're even planning on shutting up shop for best part of a month. They won't survive.

The three basic laws of business.. #1 LOCATION, #2 LOCATION and #3 LOCATION.

Spanky's has "unfeasibly tight opening hours"? What does that mean? The are open all day and in the evening as well. They take the day off on Monday - why not? They work hard. As for them not surviving, I would bet for certain that Spanky's is one place that will be around as long as they want to be around. They have loads of satisfied, regular customers.

Yes, directions in Chiang Mai do tend to be based around the Wats.

My father's directions were all based around the pubs .... go past the Dog and Duck, turn left at the Saracen's Head ..

His directions got more difficult as time went on - mainly because he never got past the Dog and Duck.

Welcome back Mr. Khunt. Had a nice holiday?

hooray, the new slim-line mr hunt is back :)

Yes, directions in Chiang Mai do tend to be based around the Wats.

My father's directions were all based around the pubs .... go past the Dog and Duck, turn left at the Saracen's Head ..

His directions got more difficult as time went on - mainly because he never got past the Dog and Duck.

Welcome back Mr. Khunt. Had a nice holiday?

hooray, the new slim-line mr hunt is back :)

I would certainly and sincerely like to welcome Mr. Kevin back.....unfortunately I think we have some posters with

weak reading skills

weak thinking skills

or some other malady......

I would like to suggest that posters try and read the dates of the posts that they may be replying to, as it may save some embarassment.

Now if the internet has not been sab o tauged again I will try and post this

Decent enough cheeseburgers at Mike's. Miguels serves a spicy sloppy joe open sandwich with dill pickle and cole slaw.

I'll agree with you PB on Miguels but I put Mikes just below Mcdonalds and that's going some.

I found Mike's food to be reminiscent of the stuff that the Jollibees chain sells in the Philippines.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Decent enough cheeseburgers at Mike's. Miguels serves a spicy sloppy joe open sandwich with dill pickle and cole slaw.

I'll agree with you PB on Miguels but I put Mikes just below Mcdonalds and that's going some.

I found Mike's food to be reminiscent of the stuff that the Jollibees chain sells in the Philippines.

That bad ? :)

That bad ? :)

Well, there are people that like Jollibees too. All Chiang Mai needs now is a place that serves pizza like Shakey's.

Shakey's Pizza ? Did you say Shakeys Pizza? http://www.shakeys.com/ :)

Yeah, they're all over the Philippines. I didn't know that they were an American chain though (didn't have them in my part of the US as far as I remember). From the outside their restaurants look like it might be OK but odds are you won't eat there twice.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Yeah, they're all over the Philippines. I didn't know that they were an American chain though (didn't have them in my part of the US as far as I remember). From the outside their restaurants look like it might be OK but odds are you won't eat there twice.

Yes Shyteys I mean Shakey's is an American chain on the west cost. It's a what I call a gut bomb. Jollibees is the PI's answer to McD's. I have tried them a couple times and they are in the same gut bomb department.

Jollibee's is a Filipino chain that has expanded across Asia and to the US wherever there is a Filipino population. Obviously there are many people that like it, but there's no accounting for taste. Proof of that is that Mike's keeps expanding.

Jollibee's is a Filipino chain that has expanded across Asia and to the US wherever there is a Filipino population. Obviously there are many people that like it, but there's no accounting for taste. Proof of that is that Mike's keeps expanding.

Mikes expanding??? Mikes has lost one franchise in Chiang Mai lost another in Bangkok and another in Pattaya. Now that's what I call good taste.

You'll get a good burger at the Mayflower restaurant in Loi Kroh (Near the girly bars)

I don't know what they put in it, or what kind of beef/buffalo it's made from, but every time I've had one it's nice and juicy.

90 bath for a Cheese burger, and they'll serve it to you in one of the nearby bars if you want. Great if you were sitting in the Dragonfly Bar for instance :) (okay so that's blatently adverticing my own bar, but everybody is getting their own in as well :D )

The burger is great though, try it.

Edited by AndersSN

Mikes expanding??? Mikes has lost one franchise in Chiang Mai lost another in Bangkok and another in Pattaya. Now that's what I call good taste.

This is the Chiang Mai forum. I don't know from Bangkok and Pattaya. I certainly don't go looking for Mike's Burgers. When I got here there were two Mike's -- one on the moat and one at the original Nimmanhaemin location -- both owned by Mike. Now there are at least 4 in CM, aren't there? The original, the new Nimman, KSK, and the Anusarn Market (I haven't been to Anusarn in over a year). Cute shops but it's impossible to cook a burger to rare or medium-rare unless it's at least 150 gms of meat, preferably 1/2 pound. Might as well go to BeeKays or Mickey Dee's.

Damned burger threads... this one forced me into town to hunt out Spanky's!

Well, what a find!! I just ate a great burger with a nice bit of roast beef, salad and onions thrown in for 75 Baht! (Small Philly burger). Having discovered Spanky's there is no way I will go to Mike's again. Why would I want to pay (a lot) more to sit in traffic fumes at a junction on the moat road when I could go a few hundred metres and get a great burger on a quiet back street! It was also nice taking to Bob the owner. He was really friendly and made it a very enjoyable lunch. :)

And, no, I don't have any vested interest in the place - I have only been there once, but am looking forward to munching my way through the great value menu. As another poster pointed out though, he will be closed for a few weeks next month. I believe he is closed from the 10th May through to 1st June.

I didn't understand the directions in this thread, not having been here long enough to know where the old Chiang Mai knocking shops used to be (that's the area where it is!) so I had to search the forum to find directions. For anyone else who wants somewhat simpler directions here goes: Going around the outside of the moat turn left at Mike's Burgers (down Chiang Moi Road), then take the first left and drive down this small Soi and you will see Spanky's on the left just before you get to the end. That simple... but strangely remote!

For anyone else who wants somewhat simpler directions here goes: Going around the outside of the moat turn left at Mike's Burgers (down Chiang Moi Road), then take the first left and drive down this small Soi and you will see Spanky's on the left just before you get to the end. That simple... but strangely remote!

... and you veer right at the Y.