Burger Joints Close

Farangdanny

So, another Burger Bar closes ! First it was the Texas place opened across the road from Mike's Original, Thapae.

Now Joe's Jets have skidded !

Looks like it's back to Mike's Original. At least they are still there and always open.

Must mean something.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried once to go to Joe Jets. I saw on their advertisement that they said they were located near a "boat" on Huay Keow Road, so the wife and I headed off to find this "boat", only to discover it was a restaurant called The Boat which didn't resemble a boat. Anyway, The Boat looked interesting so we ate there instead. Good choice. We showed the staff at The Boat how we came to find their restaurant, via the ad for Joe Jets, and they had a good laugh. Anyway, we never did find Joe Jets...

Edited by clokwise

I just received around 20 email notifications for this one thread. Anyone else experience that? I'm noticing more duplicate posts coming through all the time. Is this a technical hitch taht TV knows about?

Thanks

Aitch

I'll pass it on. Thanks for the heads up.

I tried once to go to Joe Jets. I saw on their advertisement that they said they were located near a "boat" on Huay Keow Road, so the wife and I headed off to find this "boat", only to discover it was a restaurant called The Boat which didn't resemble a boat. Anyway, The Boat looked interesting so we ate there instead. Good choice. We showed the staff at The Boat how we came to find their restaurant, via the ad for Joe Jets, and they had a good laugh. Anyway, we never did find Joe Jets...

Yeah, they had a good laugh because JJ is/was only 3 doors down.. :)

About ten days ago when I passed the Joe Jet's location on Huay Kaew Road they had a notice on the door announcing their move to the Thapae Gate area but no further details.

Assuming Joe managed to get out of their lease without losing his shirt, you've at least got to give him credit for realising quickly that the students up there are a 25 baht noodles crowd and 150 bht plus meals were never going to be frequent enough to sustain a business.

I'm sure Thapae could use another entry to the market.

So, another Burger Bar closes ! First it was the Texas place opened across the road from Mike's Original, Thapae.

Now Joe's Jets have skidded !

Looks like it's back to Mike's Original. At least they are still there and always open.

Must mean something.

It only means that most people don't know a good burger. Sure Mikes gets the tourist's who don't know better but their food is like typical American greasy junk food places. Spanky's food is much much better quality and on the high-end of course the Dukes burgers are excellent. That would be nice if Joe Jetts re-opens at another location. They really offered good quality but the location, as others have said, was doomed from the start.

About ten days ago when I passed the Joe Jet's location on Huay Kaew Road they had a notice on the door announcing their move to the Thapae Gate area but no further details.

Assuming Joe managed to get out of their lease without losing his shirt, you've at least got to give him credit for realising quickly that the students up there are a 25 baht noodles crowd and 150 bht plus meals were never going to be frequent enough to sustain a business.

I'm sure Thapae could use another entry to the market.

He's still in negative credit for not realising that in the first place.

I am glad he's relocating though - good burgers.

mikes had a great burger.... about 5 years ago. suppose they feed buffaloe meat to the tourists now.

really the only decent (fast) burger I have found in CM is burger king - wish someone would step up. How hard can it be? Suppose it requires a competent falang behind the scenes.

but nothing beats burger house in pai..

How many customers never find a place? I knew The Boat but ended up almost at the purple bars of CMU fence and never got to Joe's, Missed the first TV party because I could not see the tiny entrance for the soi to Tuskers.

Not that CMai is easy on directions: go down the moat to a wat and turn left until you pass where the dog died, then 4 cubits northwest, and park in front of a 3-storey shophouse with Thai sign....

[

Not that CMai is easy on directions: go down the moat to a wat and turn left until you pass where the dog died, then 4 cubits northwest, and park in front of a 3-storey shophouse with Thai sign....

Yes, directions in Chiang Mai do tend to be based around the Wats.

My father's directions were all based around the pubs .... go past the Dog and Duck, turn left at the Saracen's Head .. 

His directions got more difficult as time went on - mainly because he never got past the Dog and Duck.

My father's directions were all based around the pubs .... go past the Dog and Duck, turn left at the Saracen's Head .. 

His directions got more difficult as time went on - mainly because he never got past the Dog and Duck.

Welcome back Mr. Khunt. Had a nice holiday?

Welcome back Mr. Khunt. Had a nice holiday?

Yes, quite enjoyable. You may have noticed that I let some friends take care of business while I was away. :)

Good to see you back in town.

mikes had a great burger.... about 5 years ago. suppose they feed buffaloe meat to the tourists now.

really the only decent (fast) burger I have found in CM is burger king - wish someone would step up. How hard can it be? Suppose it requires a competent falang behind the scenes.

I'm pretty sure that Mikes has always got his burgers from Northern Farm and still does along with most of the other places that sell burgers in Chiang Mai.

Yes burger king is still the best, I've never tried the burgers at The Dukes but heard good reports about them.

We haven't had a good burger thread in a long time :)

Mikes has always been my favorite. I love how late they are open to!

.especially...the one on the corner of Sleezy Aly at 1-00 am after walkies......a life saver.....Onion Rings...Chai Krup :) ..hic....got any Tommy ......??

Joe jets had everything right apart from location.They will be fine in the town.

I beg to differ. I tried the pace my standard three times before I gave up on them. JJ was overpriced by far. Also, the onion rings were an unmitigated insult (mass produced from frozen mashed onion pulp). Service was slow and inconsistent. The poor staff required to wear ill-fitting, heavy costumes that, quite frankly, smelled a bit. The burgers were big, lean, and tasted absolutely like nothing. (Meat can be too lean.) The pork burger was more flavorful but had an odd texture. For a place with an airline motif, I couldn't understand the continuous loop of animations on the TV (Tom & Jerry, maybe?). But the staff certainly enjoyed them, to the point of forgetting about the customers.

I'm pretty sure that Mikes has always got his burgers from Northern Farm and still does along with most of the other places that sell burgers in Chiang Mai.

Yes burger king is still the best, I've never tried the burgers at The Dukes but heard good reports about them.

We haven't had a good burger thread in a long time :)

Mike's have their burgers made in Bangkok by an American Company. They said that Northern Farms were not consistant quality, with bits of bone and gristle. They are 100% Prime Beef, both 75gm. and 150gm.

No Buffalow, just 100% Prime Beef. See Mike's Corner in this months CityLife.

Does anyone else get the feeling that the above member is advertising and has shares in the company?

Probably and good luck, try going under the radar next time omitting words like 'prime', though.

Regards Bojo