Burger Joints Close

Farangdanny

last week i ate at the night bizzo mikes on loy krow that is where i learned they were so clean wearing plastic gloves ,etc etc.

Yes. I know what you mean. Why it was only a couple of weeks ago I saw a young lady at Mike's pick her nose with the plastic gloves on. Very hygienic.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last week i ate at the night bizzo mikes on loy krow that is where i learned they were so clean wearing plastic gloves ,etc etc. the burger was good this was the 4th time in my life eating at a mikes ,one at the main location on thaepae gate, then in the kaew mall ,then out on neieminhamin about a month ago then at loy crow beeer bar center thats four is there another one? i did not know this was so large a franchises but now i hear they are in bangkok and opening in the USA too! maybe another Burger king we got here!

anyway all places were consistant and o.k. but again it is justs a burger and the Spankie bacon cheese heartattack burger blows them all away in CM!best taste ,best deal clean place u can see the grill and it always gives my chest good solid pains late a night. (joke)

They have made the big 150gm burger wider and a little thinner so it cooks more quickly and doesn't go dry.

Woody's Aussie Burger is really hard to beat.

Use to live down the street (walking distance) from Woody's. I'd stop by for a burger at least once a week. Miss them since moving to San Sai.

didnt know theyd moved, anyone hv an address, or specific landmarked location

[quote

Use to live down the street (walking distance) from Woody's. I'd stop by for a burger at least once a week. Miss them since moving to San Sai.

didnt know theyd moved, anyone hv an address, or specific landmarked location

I read that as Venturalaw had moved to San Sai and not Woody's. The last time I looked they were still there. Anyone comfirm?

My missues made burgers yesterday personally I'm not a burger lover (had one from Mike's once and it was nice mushroom and cheese) anyway who knows a good recipe for a burger, the onion she put in was still raw due to the thickness of the burger should she have grated onion into the mix or pre-cooked them?

They have made the big 150gm burger wider and a little thinner so it cooks more quickly and doesn't go dry.

Who are "they"?

I dunno. But making a burger wider so it cooks faster cannot be a good thing. 150gms and pre-formed is a big part of the problem. I like a thick juicy burger that can be ordered and cooked rare or medium-rare. Mike's can't do that. Neither can Sparkies or Joe Jetts. Duke's, which makes a bigger burger, gets it right sometimes.

When someone tells me they hand-form their burgers and then cook them to order, I'll be there.

last week i ate at the night bizzo mikes on loy krow that is where i learned they were so clean wearing plastic gloves ,etc etc.

Yes. I know what you mean. Why it was only a couple of weeks ago I saw a young lady at Mike's pick her nose with the plastic gloves on. Very hygienic.

Is picking your nose without gloves and then prepare food any better?

As said before, use of disposable gloves (changed after every burger/sandwich) and washing the hands before putting the gloves on is clearly the best.

I'm joining this topic a little late,but it sounds like Farangdanny is a owner of one mikes burgers...But lets clear the air,Texas never failed,my partner Mike had some health problems and backed out...So I decided to relocate(Spankys) So bad location? I disagree,I offer some of the best burgers and chili dogs in town,for my roast beef,well it speaks for it's self...I did'nt say I had the BEST burger,as there are better burgers around...But I must say I do have the best prices and value for food in town....

I found that tourist don't chat on this forum,only grumpy old men,so I'm just trying to give my friends and all expats a good meal at a great price...

As far as Mike's goes...Well it was the BEST burger in town 5 years ago when original Mike owned it,but somewhere down the line it fell off track...Remember it's only grounded up meat formed into a patty and floped on a grill,how hard is that??

Farangdanny,maybe you should come by, I'll make you a Canadian bacon cheese burger on the house,and you'll forget all about Mike's...

Spanky...

bob101.

quote ..... As far as Mike's goes...Well it was the BEST burger in town 5 years ago when original Mike owned it,but somewhere down the line it fell off track

you are 100 if not 150 % right

i last tried a mikes gristle burger on the corner of chiang moi road two years ago and NEVER again .

it was awfull .... inedible.

more gristle than meat !

dave2

• 4 weeks later...
pinky's which is now opposite mikes burgers on chiang moi rd now has a good deal on the chang draught and he's got blackthorn cider ,guinness and stella! he's burgers are tasty too.

he's a nice bloke and its a friendly place. well worth a visit. :D:D:D

thread should be renamed imo, to Burger Wars :)

post-15912-1252732512_thumb.jpg

pinky's which is now opposite mikes burgers on chiang moi rd now has a good deal on the chang draught and he's got blackthorn cider ,guinness and stella! he's burgers are tasty too.

he's a nice bloke and its a friendly place. well worth a visit. :):D:D

Recently I bought burgers from all of the burger bars. We had the kids around and some of their friends. We couldn't order from Woody's because they were not open yet but the best burger was, drum roll, Mike's Original.

So, congratulations to Farangdanny for improving on a Chiang Mai institution. By the way, second place went to, drum roll, Spanky's. So much for grinding beef and throwing it on a grill.

While Miguel's looked promising, it failed to hit the mark.

As a side note, Pinkey's, better figure out the product. You placed last. The wings, by the way, were very bad with artificially flavored butter margerine as a real show stopper. Sorry, but I have to call it as I see it.

But dont' take my word for it. Order from Meals on Wheels and try it yourself.

The usual disclamers.

'getgoin' date='2009-09-12 13:39:31' post='3005823']

Recently I bought burgers from all of the burger bars. We had the kids around and some of their friends. We couldn't order from Woody's because they were not open yet but the best burger was, drum roll, Mike's Original.

Were the Duke's, Guitarman, Chiang Mai Saloon part of this sample or just Burger places? They all have fans too. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

As someone who has been in CM for 10+ years I can tell you that the quality of beef at Mike's Hamburgers has seriously declined from five years ago. It use to be an acceptable burger. It no longer is. One of the places on Loi Kroh claim to have the best burger in town. It might be the CM Saloon. I've never tried it though.

I also agree with the poster who said the the burgers at Duke's aren't all that great. They make me feel a little sick. The steaks and other menu items are good, though.

bob101.

quote ..... As far as Mike's goes...Well it was the BEST burger in town 5 years ago when original Mike owned it,but somewhere down the line it fell off track

you are 100 if not 150 % right

i last tried a mikes gristle burger on the corner of chiang moi road two years ago and NEVER again .

it was awfull .... inedible.

more gristle than meat !

dave2

I agree with you. Two years ago the burgers were made locally, and the quality was not consistant. There was often gristle in them, even bone ! They are now made in Bangkok and Chiang Rai. The process includes a machene that detects gristle, bone and foreign bodies (there is a photo in September Citylife) and finally bacteria test. You won't find any gristle now. Don't judge on 2 years ago.

200gms of fries imported from USA

I'm no restauranteur, but why on earth would you import fries all the way from America? Is that not rather expensive? The last time I checked, they were selling potatoes at the markets here in CM!

Since my last contribution to this thread, I have tried and been converted to Spanky's Philly steak cheeseburger. 95B for a juicy 150 gram patty, topped with roast beef, cheese, fried onions and peppers, etc... and a nice bun to boot. It's extra for fries, but I didn't enjoy them, don't like shoe string fries. Homemade regular cut would be much better IMO. Still, a very tasty burger, possibly the best I have tried in CM (I haven't tried everywhere, but it's better than Mikes, Joe Jetts, CM Saloon), and great value too.

Plus, you can watch a bit of TV on the flatscreen TV while you wait.

Recommended.

Woody's Aussie Burger is really hard to beat.

I agree with you on that UG.

I think it is interesting to keep in mind how different nationalities like their own variation of food even when it is something as simple as a burger.

A point to keep in mind guys is that I am happy for people to put up recomendations of favourite places but let's keep the blatent self promotion to a minimum.

Lastly in a personal note:

I like Woody's Aussie burger, CM Saloon's Cheese burger, and the Blue Cheese burger from The Dukes.

CB

(amazed that we are back to Best Burger in CM again for the 37th time)

• 2 weeks later...

I was full of Piggie's cod already, so I did not try anything, but Pinky's Hamburger Joint has completely revamped the menu and added bunch of giant burgers and some unusual items like croque monsieur and such.

Looks like a real Burger War heating up on the Chang Moi corner of Chaiapoom Road (or what ever the street is called there).

Edited by Ulysses G.

I tried the "giant" burger at Pinky's. It's still a thin flat burger, just wider in diameter. They still can't cook it rare or even medium-rare. They give you a lot of fries too, but it still doesn't make up for an over-cooked burger.

I prefer my burgers cooked rare to medium-rare. For that you need a thick burger. Only Dukes gets it close to right, with CM Saloon a distant second.

• 6 months later...
I tried the "giant" burger at Pinky's. It's still a thin flat burger, just wider in diameter. They still can't cook it rare or even medium-rare. They give you a lot of fries too, but it still doesn't make up for an over-cooked burger.

I prefer my burgers cooked rare to medium-rare. For that you need a thick burger. Only Dukes gets it close to right, with CM Saloon a distant second.

Felt like a Woodys burger tonight, but :) closed, so went to Piggys, gf had the fish and chips which looked great and she loved, I had the Cheese burger and well, lets just say the Fanta was good.