Spanish Businessman Raises Funds To Help Thai Police

george

Spanish businessman raises funds to help Thai police

MADRID, SPAIN: -- Spanish businessman has launched an internet campaign to raise funds to help Thai police combat crime against foreigners.

Barcelona businessman Jordi Guerrero said Tuesday that he became conscious of Thai police's lack of resources after a group of 12 people robbed him of 15,000 euros (21,500 dollars) at a Bangkok commercial centre in December 2008.

The robbers followed Guerrero, dropped papers on the floor to create confusion, and snatched the money from his pocket.

The Spaniard said security cameras recorded images of the robbers, but that Thai police did not have the means to analyse the images and to identify the suspects.

Guerrero said he had launched his campaign by handing over the first cent of the expected funds to the Thai embassy in Madrid.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-30

A nice concept, but I can't imagine why people would want to hand over cash for the Thai police.

Are they really that strapped for cash and lacking in technology that it takes a foreign victim of crime to start the initiative?

Regards Bojo

Methinks there is more to this than meets the eye.

First you lose money then you are going to throw more away........... :)

Would someone please explain this all to an old bloke like me.

P.S. Did anyone find a link to the site in question ?

Edited by LeungKen

Guerrero said he had launched his campaign by handing over the first cent of the expected funds to the Thai embassy in Madrid.

Can't help myself... I've got a strong feeling this was the first and the very last cent.... :)

Edited by webfact

The Spaniard said security cameras recorded images of the robbers, but that Thai police did not have the means to analyse the images and to identify the suspects.

Analyse the images and identify the suspects. Don't you just look at the tape on a tv? :)

my two cents:

First cent, the fact that he got robbed 15000 euro cash should make investigate on the people who knew about he was carrying that amount, I don't think anyone carries this amount everyday.

Second cent, he is a business man in thailand, raising fund for the thai police will grant him publicity and some of the thai connection he is aiming for making more money, ...money make money.

Hardly a big deal. Lots of us give money to the Thai Police, we just don't make a song and dance about it. :)

He wasn't always so generous:

Guerrero, who lamented the lack of diligence of the Thai Police, has asked for legal and diplomatic support at the Embassy of Spain.

"What is clear, and I have said this to the police, is that this was a group of highly organized Filipino criminals who have been operating for many years in Thailand," said the victim.

Thai police did not have the means to analyse the images and to identify the suspects.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-30

Step 1. Better teach the BIB how to rewind the video camera.

Step 2. Them show them how to freeze frame with the pause button.

Well done Jordi! You raise the funds then you make 50/50 with police under a kick back agreement.

I'm jealous to do not have had the idea before you.

First improvement made with the funds: better fridges for the beers in office.

:-)

Edited by geovalin

MADRID, SPAIN: -- Spanish businessman has launched an internet campaign to raise funds to help Thai police combat crime against foreigners.

Barcelona businessman Jordi Guerrero said Tuesday that he became conscious of Thai police's lack of resources after a group of 12 people robbed him of 15,000 euros (21,500 dollars) at a Bangkok commercial centre in December 2008.

The robbers followed Guerrero, dropped papers on the floor to create confusion, and snatched the money from his pocket.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-30

Serious?

Wow, so i imagine soon we will have a new special police corp wandering around the street of the capital " la guardia civil" !...a bit like the SWAT thing in Pattaya :)

OK, everybody laugh.

But if you pay the Police some good money corruption might go down.

I'm serious. :D

I'll second that. One of my neighbors is an ordinary traffic cop. His monthly income is 8.700 Baht. :)

Don"t know after how many years in service. He told me the other day his starting "salary" was 6000 Baht!

That was couple of years ago. 10-12 hours daily on duty in Bangkok's clean air environment!

Sometimes I understand these guys...

OK, everybody laugh.

I'll second that. One of my neighbors is an ordinary traffic cop. His monthly income is 8.700 Baht. :)

Don"t know after how many years in service. He told me the other day his starting "salary" was 6000 Baht!

That was couple of years ago. 10-12 hours daily on duty in Bangkok's clean air environment!

If this is true, then it is almost as if tea money is part of the compensation model of police officers by design. I don't know how anybody could live in Bangkok on that salary without having some extra income (short of living in a hovel in a run-down part of town).

OK, everybody laugh.

I'm serious. :)

And provide better training. And be more selective in who they hire. And back them up with some real resources to do their jobs.

The way it is now, the job seems to attract the wrong sort of person. If you knew going into the job that you were never going to make a good salary, and the only way to make a good living is to extract money from the people you are supposed to be serving via bribes and extortion, who do you think is going to apply for the job? Any reasonably intelligent, well-educated, well-adjusted person is going to find a better job somewhere else.

But who would benefit from strong enforcement of the law, and who would be harmed by it? I guess that is the problem that needs to be resolved first.

Either he's rather naive or wants 'in' the club.

I agree this is very odd. Who carries 20000 so loosely that it can be snatched and by a group of 12? I wonder if it is a case of a fabricated story to raise funds that will go toward that empty pocket?

OK, everybody laugh.

And my understanding is the soldiers make a lot less and don't have the option of tea money. I give these guys credit for being able to smile and go to work.