What Would You Do With The Petition?

Ferwert

If I were Abhisit, Privy council, etc. this is what I would do. If I had any aspirations to retain political office such as Abhisit, I would not do what they are currently doing - Such as special TV broadcasts where they will pretend to seriously consider all sides, but end up with a solemn declaration decrying the Petition. Also, I would not militarily threaten these people as they are doing by implying over-the-top military action to protect the Monarchy, as if it is under threat. All Abhisit and the military are doing is digging their hole even deeper, and antagonising a large, silent majority. The TV Program on compromised national TV media will merely be "preaching to the choir". It is too late to prevent the Petition. The work is done, and petitions collected. Today is the deadline. Abhisit talks National Reconciliation...I think this is a marvelous opportunity for him to demonstrate it in deeds, and not just words. His pronouncements in this regard have had all kinds of suspicious undertones. I would let the RS people do their thing with this Petition, treat them and the petition respectfully, even compliment them on having the nation's interests at heart by being politically involved. I would publicise the whole petition on the controlled domestic print and TV medium without diminishing the opinions of millions. I would let them present the Petition through the proper Monarchical bureaucracy and televise them doing it. At this point all those millions would feel really positive that they are being respected and their efforts taken sincerely by Institutions-of-the-Nation that belong to them as much as others. Now that the petition has been submitted, internal dynamics can occur. The professional politicians within whose authority to answer the Petition would need to make some decisions. As many of you feel, and in spite of my RS sympathies, there is no way they can cave totally to this petition, So if they are disinclined to do that, the response could be very diplomatic. As an ex-labour negotiator, I always tried to give something. You cannot discount such a populist political initiative out-of-hand. So give and hold. In every negotiation, not everyone will be happy. But this is a very huge opportunity to take the thunder away from the RS. This is a wonderful "national reconciliation moment". What to give, what to hold?..................they will need to decide that. This could even be an opportunity for negotiation or mediation including all stakeholders. But at the end of the process, it should put an end to as many Red Shirt grievances as possible, and keep the PAD and their supporters onboard......and that is very possible........So what do you think? This is not black and white. There is a middle ground that can be healing for Thailand, and put politics back where it belongs. In democratic institutions of the Legislature, fair elections, Prime Ministers selected by the majority, etc.

Edited by Ferwert

If I were Abhisit, Privy council, etc. this is what I would do.

Hmmm.... an interesting piece, well written. But in your prior posts, you have shown yourself to be an unabashed supporter of one of the factions in this country. Could it be possible that "If I were Abhisit" as you say, that you would be doing all these things in order to bolster the movement that you favor? That in fact, this would drive away Abhisit's supporters and increase the popularity of your favorite political group?

Or perhaps I read too much into this. Perhaps you have truly embraced the spirit of national reconciliation. I'm sure we'll find that out in due course.

Politics is the art of compromise a very smart person said one time. As an afterthought, all I see from current powers-that-be is attacks on this petition, which by extension is an attack on all those sincere and well-meaning people who are involved. This is a huge swath of Thai society, exceeding greatly the actual number of signatories to the petition. Attacking the petition is bad politics I think. It is unnecessarily antagonizing people who could very easily be co-opted with some sensitive handling. Just my humble opinion. Yeah, stupid me--gotta get with the paragraph thing.

Edited by Ferwert

Politics is the art of compromise a very smart person said one time. As an afterthought, all I see from current powers-that-be is attacks on this petition, which by extension is an attack on all those sincere and well-meaning people who are involved. This is a huge swath of Thai society, exceeding greatly the actual number of signatories to the petition. Attacking the petition is bad politics I think. It is unnecessarily antagonizing people who could very easily be co-opted with some sensitive handling. Just my humble opinion. Yeah, stupid me--gotta get with the paragraph thing.

Politics is the art of compromise is not an astute observation but simply an observation of fact. Politicians want to be re-elected so they go with the flow of what the electorate wants at the time, this is irrelevant of whether it is good for the country or not. And what does the electorate generally want, more services and handouts with less tax for themselves.

Politicians are the scum of the earth only interested in furthering themselves financially. All their actions are based on these two tenants, making money and being re-elected so as to continue to make money.

Don't pay them any attention, they will only aggravate your peace of mind. Just hope Karma is real and they will pay for it later.

Politics is the art of compromise is not an astute observation but simply an observation of fact. Politicians want to be re-elected so they go with the flow of what the electorate wants at the time, this is irrelevant of whether it is good for the country or not. And what does the electorate generally want, more services and handouts with less tax for themselves.

Politicians are the scum of the earth only interested in furthering themselves financially. All their actions are based on these two tenants, making money and being re-elected so as to continue to make money.

Don't pay them any attention, they will only aggravate your peace of mind. Just hope Karma is real and they will pay for it later.

As a rule, politicians aren't elected, but bought and paid for. Such unrealistic premises of an elective process are quite lovely on paper but yet to be true when power and influence are alligned.

Very interesting question Ferwent.

I think if it were my decision what to do with the petition. I would bow down to the educated beings who signged it and immediately pardon Dr.Thaksin for any and all crimes commited in the past. Included in this would be all the corruption charges and also the genocide charges. All confiscated moneys should be returned forthwith of course with a compounded annual rate of interest of say 70%.

Furthermore I would ammend the constitution to allow said Dr.T to murder, defraud and behave in any manner he so chooses in the future without any penalty. Same goes for family and friends of said hero and democratic warrior. I suppose it would be a natural progression from all this to consider a new national anthem, banknotes, maybe even change the countries name.

I feel this would be the only way to achieve true democracy in Thailand.

But seriously, kindling and toilet paper would be the only sensible things to use this outrageous waste of paper. Do any of the signees even understand what they have signed for? My heart bleeds for the benevolent soul that this petition is targetting.

I think if it were my decision what to do with the petition. I would bow down to the educated beings who signged it and immediately pardon Dr.Thaksin for any and all crimes commited in the past. Included in this would be all the corruption charges and also the genocide charges. All confiscated moneys should be returned forthwith of course with a compounded annual rate of interest of say 70%.

Furthermore I would ammend the constitution to allow said Dr.T to murder, defraud and behave in any manner he so chooses in the future without any penalty. Same goes for family and friends of said hero and democratic warrior. I suppose it would be a natural progression from all this to consider a new national anthem, banknotes, maybe even change the countries name.

But seriously, kindling and toilet paper would be the only sensible things to use this outrageous waste of paper. Do any of the signees even understand what they have signed for? My heart bleeds for the benevolent soul that this petition is targetting.

Are you suggesting the millions of people that have signed this petition do not have the intelligence to decide who should rule them?

Are you suggesting the millions of people that have signed this petition do not have the intelligence to decide who should rule them?

Millions of people?How many millions?IMO mr.T should come back and face the music,then ask for pardon.

It is beyond belief that the same people who say they love a certain person would attmpt to embarrass that person by using a power play to get him to absolve a common criminal of all guilt. Do they want the one they love to become unrighteous? Amazing the way some are being led to hurt the one the say they love.

Are you suggesting the millions of people that have signed this petition do not have the intelligence...

That's bloody obvious, as far as this petition is concerned.

As for deciding who should rule them - it's not elections time now, maybe we can talk about it some other time.

>>>>

If I was a guy in charge of receiving this petition, I'd point to the rule book and say there's nothing I can do. Sorry to disappoint you folks. Maybe if you get Thaksin in jail, and he signs it himself, and includes several paragraphs showing his remorse, we can consider it again.

Edited by Plus

As MauGR1 says, it's not millions. Seems you've got caught up in playing that numbers games the red shirts are so fond of. Throw on a zero or two and hope no one notices.

First step towards asking for mercy: ADMIT GUILT AND SHOW REMORSE. I think that after the failed black Songkran revolution attempt there is NOTHING Tacky can say or do that will EVER return him to power. He gambled it all and he lost. It is over; only the true believers don't see the light on this yet.

As MauGR1 says, it's not millions. Seems you've got caught up in playing that numbers games the red shirts are so fond of. Throw on a zero or two and hope no one notices.

Latest claim is 4.2 million. We'll know soon enough.

Agree with the petition and let the privy council make the decision.

Accepting the petition and pardoning Thaksin may very well avoid a civil war. The anti-Thaksin zealots are more concerned about "getting" him than doing the best thing for Thailand.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Agree with the petition and let the privy council make the decision.

Accepting the petition and pardoning Thaksin may very well avoid a civil war. The Thaksin haters are more concerned about "getting" him than doing the best thing for Thailand.

Wise words and view!

LaoPo

If I were Abhisit, Privy council, etc. this is what I would do. If I had any aspirations to retain political office such as Abhisit, I would not do what they are currently doing - Such as special TV broadcasts where they will pretend to seriously consider all sides, but end up with a solemn declaration decrying the Petition. Also, I would not militarily threaten these people as they are doing by implying over-the-top military action to protect the Monarchy, as if it is under threat. All Abhisit and the military are doing is digging their hole even deeper, and antagonising a large, silent majority. The TV Program on compromised national TV media will merely be "preaching to the choir". It is too late to prevent the Petition. The work is done, and petitions collected. Today is the deadline. Abhisit talks National Reconciliation...I think this is a marvelous opportunity for him to demonstrate it in deeds, and not just words. His pronouncements in this regard have had all kinds of suspicious undertones. I would let the RS people do their thing with this Petition, treat them and the petition respectfully, even compliment them on having the nation's interests at heart by being politically involved. I would publicise the whole petition on the controlled domestic print and TV medium without diminishing the opinions of millions. I would let them present the Petition through the proper Monarchical bureaucracy and televise them doing it. At this point all those millions would feel really positive that they are being respected and their efforts taken sincerely by Institutions-of-the-Nation that belong to them as much as others. Now that the petition has been submitted, internal dynamics can occur. The professional politicians within whose authority to answer the Petition would need to make some decisions. As many of you feel, and in spite of my RS sympathies, there is no way they can cave totally to this petition, So if they are disinclined to do that, the response could be very diplomatic. As an ex-labour negotiator, I always tried to give something. You cannot discount such a populist political initiative out-of-hand. So give and hold. In every negotiation, not everyone will be happy. But this is a very huge opportunity to take the thunder away from the RS. This is a wonderful "national reconciliation moment". What to give, what to hold?..................they will need to decide that. This could even be an opportunity for negotiation or mediation including all stakeholders. But at the end of the process, it should put an end to as many Red Shirt grievances as possible, and keep the PAD and their supporters onboard......and that is very possible........So what do you think? This is not black and white. There is a middle ground that can be healing for Thailand, and put politics back where it belongs. In democratic institutions of the Legislature, fair elections, Prime Ministers selected by the majority, etc.

Start a counter petition :):D

Mr T is guilty by a corrupt court. Hardly worth listening to, so suggest he carry on. Eventually he will win. :)

Funnily enough, Mr T and his fan base felt it was worth listening to the courts when he was in power and they ruled in his favour.