Thai "red Shirts" Seek Royal Pardon For Thaksin

churchill

Hello, from what I understand about the law in LOS is that someone can only be considered for a pardon if they are serving time in Thailand. Thaksin was convicted and sentenced for corruption, but he has not been to prison so there is no basis for a pardon until he goes back to Thailand as frogs with wings will fly out of his bum. Cheers.

i assume the technicalities can be over ruled.

or perhaps a deal can be made, 1 or 2 days prison time in exchange for a pardon, for the sake of reconcilliation.

the "deal" you suggest and which I consider as "dirty" is a slap in the face of every law-abiding person.

Nobody is above the law !!! Period

Edited by webfact

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, from what I understand about the law in LOS is that someone can only be considered for a pardon if they are serving time in Thailand. Thaksin was convicted and sentenced for corruption, but he has not been to prison so there is no basis for a pardon until he goes back to Thailand as frogs with wings will fly out of his bum. Cheers.

or perhaps a deal can be made, 1 or 2 days prison time in exchange for a pardon, for the sake of reconcilliation.

the "deal" you suggest and which I consider as "dirty" is a slap in the face of every law-abiding person.

It appears that Abhisit and friends are opting for this response alternative. True "National Reconciliation" efforts however need to rise above such an emotional reaction, and look for common ground in an objective manner.

You are correct, "nobody is above the law", including those who use it for political purposes, as the RS's claim when talking about the 2nd. coup, the judicial one. Refusing at all costs to recognize that there may have been politics involved in all this judicial stuff affecting three Democratically elected Prime Ministers, Thaksin, Samak and Somchai, is something the RS tell me they will never accept.

MC2's attempt at considering an alternative that may both be a step forward and get everyone off dead-center, is commendable. Your emotional reaction also needs to find a constructive outlet and recommendation that takes into account your perceived grievances.

There needs to be a recognition that there are two sides to this entire affair. Negating totally one side as is currently the case with the Government and military attacks on this petition, and the constituency associated with it, is destructive. Much could be achieved with treating it respectfully, and recognizing the opportunities that it presents.

Edited by Ferwert

I think the very idea of this petition to the royalty is OUTRAGEOUS. Make a petition to the LEGAL GOVERNMENT, that is the proper way. Have PEACEFUL DEMONSTRATIONS, that is the proper way. As usual, the reds are PLAYING WITH FIRE. Also based on the long history of vote stealing, vote buying among the Thakky cronies, I don't believe the legitimacy of the signatures for a second and neither does the SILENT MAJORITY of Thailand that is disgusted with extreme tactics mostly from the reds but also from the yellows.

Edited by Jingthing

This country will never see any form of reconciliation if the top villans walk free.

Exactly.

The only ones wanting reconciliation on these terms are those not in power.

And are trying to force the issue with street politics, not national discussion politics.

And ditto on post #33 too.

Edited by animatic

Interesting how the red side didnt like the idea of the PAD petitioning the Monarchy for section 7 previously but now support the idea of petitioning themselves. Both petitions seem to be covered by the costitution but vaguely although they may be clarified by organic laws.

I wonder how many who now support this petition thought it was wrong for the PAD to petition the Monarchy previously. It would be interesting to see if anyone has a common line on petitions and avoids hypocricy. It could also be pointed out that the PAD could hardly criticize a tactic they themselves previosuly used.

But Poorsucker, Mr. Thaksin has nothing to serve time for and nothing to regret. You need to understand that as the RS say, there were two coups, a military one and then a judicial one. One does not serve time or show remorse for being a victim of two coups.

Like a kid with a broken record we hear from you the same bit and crying again and again...

There was no judicial coup. By claiming so you have already shown that you have no interest in the facts. You are as biased as can be.

A corrupt politician being convicted isn't a judicial coup - it's a good start!

The reason they want Khun Thaksin to be in jail even 1 day is he can't be MP in the next 5 years. Understandable he can't be Prime Minister until he's 65.

Please read my answer in post #31

He is convicted, that is the line in the sand, not the simple day in jail.

Your legal advisors Koo are not exactly degree candidates are they?

He is also banned for another 3 years with our without said conviction.

But Poorsucker, Mr. Thaksin has nothing to serve time for and nothing to regret. You need to understand that as the RS say, there were two coups, a military one and then a judicial one. One does not serve time or show remorse for being a victim of two coups.

Like a kid with a broken record we hear from you the same bit and crying again and again...

There was no judicial coup. By claiming so you have already shown that you have no interest in the facts. You are as biased as can be.

A corrupt politician being convicted isn't a judicial coup - it's a good start!

But it pays well!

Sometimes there is actual invention, other times it's just paste in the party line.

Gotta sleep sometimes I guess.

One day in jail and he will be barred from political offices for life.

Currently he is banned from politics for offences not covered in the petition, afaik.

PAD wanted a Royally appointed PM according to their interpretation of Article 7 (don't remember what the article said exactly), but there were certain conditions under which the monarch could exercise such powers. There wasn't a signature collection campaign, certainly not of any notable proporions. When HM the King rejected the idea as a principle, they all shut up and forgot about it.

Back to the present - reds have all the rights to petition the monarch about anything they want, the objection is that what they want is unconstitutional, they don't even try to explain its legality, and the worry is that they won't take rejection for an answer. Another BIG point is that they put "us or them" choice on a table, which is highly inappopriate and embarassing to anyone who cares.

Please Ferwert.

Can't you understand that this just a move undermine the monarchy.

There cannot be a pardon on the table until he (thaksin) has served some time and regret he's actions.

This is the law!!!!

I agree. That has been the agenda of Thaskin from the start of his second term as the PM. He has many issues to answer to, most of which are not talked about on TV. Ferwert what is this blind love for Thaskin? Do you call a lump of coal a diamond?

Please Ferwert.

Can't you understand that this just a move undermine the monarchy.

There cannot be a pardon on the table until he (thaksin) has served some time and regret he's actions.

This is the law!!!!

I agree. That has been the agenda of Thaskin from the start of his second term as the PM. He has many issues to answer to, most of which are not talked about on TV. Ferwert what is this blind love for Thaskin? Do you call a lump of coal a diamond?

Check in the mail or is it auto-deposit?

Also based on the long history of vote stealing, vote buying among the Thakky cronies,

I think the other parties were just pissed off that the "Thakky cronies" were just a bit better at playing the game than them.

Also based on the long history of vote stealing, vote buying among the Thakky cronies,

I think the other parties were just pissed off that the "Thakky cronies" were just a bit better at playing the game than them.

In other words Thaksin stole so much more than all of them,

that he was able to purchase all the best selling politicians, and hold them together

with bribes force and perks to actually win another election.

The fact it all fell apart a year beyond typical doesn't erase his achievement

in passing a 2nd election, but it also points to MASSIVE corruption he used to do it.

That no doubt pissed off many.

happy to hear this.

So we will see the yellow shirts in prison.

the coup of 4 years rescinded and the generals also imprisoned

The reason they want Khun Thaksin to be in jail even 1 day is he can't be MP in the next 5 years. Understandable he can't be Prime Minister until he's 65.

You should understand that he won't ever be PM not now or in 5 years.

If Thaksin were to engineer a return to power we know what would happen to free speech and criticism. For one thing, we'd all have to start using our email accounts for mass 'mailings' if we wanted to say the things we post (if we could still have email accounts).

Anyway, we remember the drunk farang (redundancy!), a Brit, one nite two or three years ago who smeared paint on a large poster of the monarch. The guy was tried for LM, convicted, sentenced and jailed. After a few weeks or a month the king in his just wisdom and forgiveness pardoned him. Thai pardon law is clear, established and long standing. Jail time is a prerequisite, as is remorse.

Maybe drinking could help. :)

Red-shirts to submit Thaksin-pardon petition on Aug 17

The red-shirt movement has gathered more than 5 million signatures to support the Thaksin-pardon petition, which will be submitted to the Office of His Majesty's Principal Private Secretary on August 17.

Veera Musigapong, a red-shirt leader, said the movement would count and recheck the signatures, a process which should be completed by August 16 at the latest.

The petition and signatures would then be transported to the Office of His Majesty's Principal Private Secretary on August 17, Veera said.

He said it might take more than 1,000 people to transport the signatures to the office.

The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 03/08/09http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/30108960/Red-shirts-to-submit-Thaksin-pardon-petition-on-Au

The red-shirt movement has gathered more than 5 million signatures to support the Thaksin-pardon petition, which will be submitted to the Office of His Majesty's Principal Private Secretary on August 17.

Veera Musigapong, a red-shirt leader, said the movement would count and recheck the signatures, a process which should be completed by August 16 at the latest.

The petition and signatures would then be transported to the Office of His Majesty's Principal Private Secretary on August 17, Veera said.

He said it might take more than 1,000 people to transport the signatures to the office.

The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 03/08/09http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/30108960/Red-shirts-to-submit-Thaksin-pardon-petition-on-Au

Another needless expense. Put it on disc , then one person can carry it

Jeeezze don't these Thais ever think

The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

Quite interesting they pick the SAME day as the Rubber Saplings verdict is to be delivered.

Maybe trying to drown out that uproar with a different one...

You should understand that he won't ever be PM not now or in 5 years.

No one knows now. We all must wait.

happy to hear this.

So we will see the yellow shirts in prison.

the coup of 4 years rescinded and the generals also imprisoned

:)

:D