Bangkok Jaywalkers Subject Of Police Blitz

george

471 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jaywalkers subject of police blitz

By John Le Fevre

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- People who fail use crosswalks or footbridges will start receiving on-the-spot Bt200 (about $US5.88) fines from traffic police commencing August 1.

People who drop litter, including cigarette butts in a city almost bereft of public ashtrays or rubbish bins are already subject to fines of up Bt2,000 (about $US58.76) and now police have decided to target jaywalkers in a city where crossing the road is often a mad dash followed by furtive creeping steps to avoid cars and motorcycles that pay little regard for pedestrians.

For their part, impatient Bangkokians are known to attempt to dash between cars, or walk out from in front of buses directly into the path of traffic, often without looking.

Traffic police chief Police Major Weerapat Tansrisakul said traffic police in Bangkok will begin to arrest people who crossed the street without using crosswalks, footbridges, and other crossways.

He said the area around Victory Monument, Silom Road and Ratchaprasong Junction will receive the initial focus and urged people to comply with the traffic laws for their own safety.

thaivisa-news.png

-- thaivisa.com 2009-08-01

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't catch the motorists ignoring cross walks so target to slow moving pedrestrian trying to cross the road the best and safest way he/she can. That's great logic and keeps the tea pot warm.

Edit: Have you ever NOT jaywalked in Bangkok? Probably only when using a bridge or sky train station.

Edited by bdenner

In order to get their priorities right, they should start arresting their "own" first for demanding bribes. When Thaksin still was in charge of a certain TV station we had daily shows where policemen were caught red handed taking bribes. Now all tv stations are safely in the hands of the royalists and the army even CNN kisses the bud of these stations by not reporting on certain cases which are too "sensitive". So it is just another way to make money, my advice, put them all on candid camera!

Funny how the police can't actually police, but when it comes to soft targets for additional incomes they are top of their game.

One thing for certain, tourists will certainly be targeted in certain areas and the "fine" will be more than 200 baht.

Foreigners are the main target...

I thought I read "Victory Monument and Ratchaprasong Junction?"

I don't think foreigners are the main target.

But can't disagree that this is more about revenue generation that safety--just like in America!

j.

This seems pretty fair. As tempting as it is to walk between all of those cars sitting on the parking lot that is Silom Road between 4pm-8pm, it's probably not safe. Jaywalking also exacerbates already bad traffic.

If you get fined though, since it's only 200 baht make sure they write it up, instead of just pocketing it.

I agree with the Cigarette Butts / rubbish fine, but do not agree with fining someone for not using the crossing.

I wonder if they will fine the poorer Thai people as well lol....

or maybe is just for us 'richer' farang....

Jeez, what will it be next.. :) 'excuse me officer, am I allowed to breath'

Edited by pattaya_girl

In order to get their priorities right, they should start arresting their "own" first for demanding bribes. When Thaksin still was in charge of a certain TV station we had daily shows where policemen were caught red handed taking bribes. Now all tv stations are safely in the hands of the royalists and the army even CNN kisses the bud of these stations by not reporting on certain cases which are too "sensitive". So it is just another way to make money, my advice, put them all on candid camera!

Are you saying that when Thaksin was around, that the police were less corrupt?

Actually, proper enforcement will be good for both people and traffic, BUT there is no doubt the motives will be to extract more and more cash from the people. I am amazed at the numbers of traffic blocks by police these days, where they are just pulling anyone and every one over.

Maybe if money were not the motive and they educated Thai drivers to give way to pedestrians who do walk in crossings, there would be rhyme to this reasoning. Otherwise it is totally laughable. As to scamming funds for dropping cigarettes - why is it ok to throw bags fo rubbish into vacant allotments and nothing happens or into the klongs? Get real. :)

Maybe if money were not the motive and they educated Thai drivers to give way to pedestrians who do walk in crossings, there would be rhyme to this reasoning. Otherwise it is totally laughable. As to scamming funds for dropping cigarettes - why is it ok to throw bags fo rubbish into vacant allotments and nothing happens or into the klongs? Get real. :)

And try asking for a receipt for your funds taken - yeah right!

More "income" is rolling in... and this "law" will be exploited merciless to the fullest extend

Foreigners are the main target... MHO

Maybe someone in the Government, that REALLY had a brain in his head should INVENT ROAD RULES FIRST for Thai Drivers,and educate them on WHAT a Pedestrian crossing is for and how MOST of the civilized world STOPS for Pedestrians , and not try to run them down, then get the DAMM MOTORCYCLES OFF THE FOOTPATHS, I think think the police could become millionaires if they did that.

More "income" is rolling in... and this "law" will be exploited merciless to the fullest extend

Foreigners are the main target... MHO

Maybe someone in the Government, that REALLY had a brain in his head should INVENT ROAD RULES FIRST for Thai Drivers,and educate them on WHAT a Pedestrian crossing is for and how MOST of the civilized world STOPS for Pedestrians , and not try to run them down, then get the DAMM MOTORCYCLES OFF THE FOOTPATHS, I think think the police could become millionaires if they did that.

Agree 200%. Motorcyclists in general here are extremly irritating bastards. :)

Edited by salty

Are you saying that when Thaksin was around, that the police were less corrupt?

My thoughts exactly.

And I am tired of Farang always thinking that they are the only ones having to deal with corrupt police and suggesting that they always get ripped off whenever they want to buy something.

You're just not shopping in the right areas. Tourists are an easy target everywhere they go, not just Thailand but even in Europe and the States. It is nothing new. The Thais in general have not much good to say about their own police force, but they live with it.

This jaywalking thing,...in short, "it is the law". They are enforcing the law which is what they are supposed to do in the first place. Mind you, there are quite a few spots in the silom area where they have walking bridges and regular pedestrian crossovers right underneath. It be pretty difficult to jay walk there I think.

Foreigners are the main target...

I thought I read "Victory Monument and Ratchaprasong Junction?"

I don't think foreigners are the main target.

But can't disagree that this is more about revenue generation that safety--just like in America!

j.

well said! everyone whines about stuff here that happens in their own country per norm. thanks for being balanced instead of biased -rare for here.

I don't like throwing litter on the street but finding a trashcan is "litterally" impossible. You can walk for miles without finding one. Same thing goes for pedestrian crossing.

so true, This is the reason I have stopped buying coconuts. Walking a kilometer with a coconut shell in your hand feels weird and seems to attract even more Indian tailors

Whats the difference if you use a "crossing" or not? doesn't make any difference to the drivers, even crossing at the lights is dodgy they still flying at you 5 secs after they supposed to give way. Crossing at soi 4 and SUK is a good example. Bridges are safe as the motorbikes haven't figured how to ride up the stairs yet

If they do pull you perhaps do the same as what I used to do when driving my car on the express way and would get pulled. When they ask for the "fine" say, ok, let's go to the station and I'll pay there which often in my experience results in the issue dissolving into the background pollution...

I don't like throwing litter on the street but finding a trashcan is "litterally" impossible. You can walk for miles without finding one. Same thing goes for pedestrian crossing.

You can use anyone else's bin, bag or box of garbage. My fiance does it all the time, and I've done it before in front of a cop. If it's on the edge of the road, then it's out there waiting for the truck. The cops just don't want to see you throw something on the ground. Like most things, I guess it helps if you have a Thai walking next to you.

I honestly don't have a problem finding crosswalks, especially in the Silom and Victory Monument area. The problem is the rules for using them are unclear. I generally get into one, make myself as big and visible as possible, and then cross. You can also use the jellyfish approach, wait until the amount of people waiting hits critical mass, and then blob your way across altogether.

Just one more thing, I think from the low amount of this fine, it's probably going to be targeted at Thais as well, I mean how many farang do you see around Victory Monument or worse yet Ratchaprasong? They are definitely Thai areas.

One might excuse my ability to comply since I obviously lack the use of my brain. But, just a question:

1. not checking the million a drunk drivers at night, I never seen them checking after 4 years

2. child labour

3. prostitution

4. taxis going 140 at night, after 10 bottles of MROI

5. motorists ignoring red light ALL THE TIME

nobody cares, but if I try do a 'quick move' and don't conform with the LAW OF THE WALKWAYs? they take me out?

sorry, wth!

Gosh!

Hail, Hail, Hail!

we the sheeple! :)

When one wishes to cross the road one simply crosses when its most convieniantly has no traffic coming. This policy they need to introduce more working pelican crossing so pedestrians can stop oncoming traffic and walk across the street in safety. There are also bridges but never soom to be where you wish to cross.

I also agree about the litter law, however there really needs to be more bins situated and emptied more often and cleaned out with disinfected once a month.........