Any Experience With Ktc Credit Card?

Wondering if anyone has any experience with KTC credit cards.

I have been thinking about applying for a Thai credit card for a while. I have a work permit and sufficient salary for various credit cards (I believe), but not sure which to go for.

I am planning on doing the rounds next weekend to all of the various banks, but was curious of other people's experiences and if they felt one company offered better services than another. Would appreciate any info that can be provided on any specific banks or cards.

Requirements for KTC:

1. Min salary THB 40,000/mo (for foreign national)

2. Work Permit

3. Must have resided in Thailand for at least two years

4. Need pay slips/copy 6 months Bank book

5. Letter from company

Details for KTC:

1. No Annual Fee

2. 20% APR (this seems pretty high to me)

Edited by CWMcMurray

I have been thinking about applying for a Thai credit card for a while. I have a work permit and sufficient salary for various credit cards (I believe), but not sure which to go for.

I am planning on doing the rounds next weekend to all of the various banks, but was curious of other people's experiences and if they felt one company offered better services than another. Would appreciate any info that can be provided on any specific banks or cards.

Requirements for KTC:

2. Work Permit

5. Letter from company

Details for KTC:

1. No Annual Fee

Hi,

I think it's not a question of which CC is the best. It's rather which one you can get. You won't - most probably - get any card unless you've been a customer for a certain branch (the same you apply) for at least 6 months.

And being a farang, it is still not easy!

The terms between the banks are more or less the same.

ยูสชี่

Requirements for KTC:

2. Work Permit

5. Letter from company

Details for KTC:

1. No Annual Fee

I got one 4 years ago. That was a very pleasant surprise as I'd been continually rejected by SCB. Shortly after they issued me a mastercard too.

What also surprised me was I didn't appear to meet the criteria.

Give it a whirl- you never know.

Hi,

I think it's not a question of which CC is the best. It's rather which one you can get. You won't - most probably - get any card unless you've been a customer for a certain branch (the same you apply) for at least 6 months.

And being a farang, it is still not easy!

The terms between the banks are more or less the same.

ยูสชี่

Rubbish....I got a Gold C/C from SCB after only being in country for two weeks.... :)

The OP is on the right track....WP, Salary slips, letter from company etc etc....he will not have a problem...have a look at SCB or K-bank

Rubbish....I got a Gold C/C from SCB after only being in country for two weeks.... :)

The OP is on the right track....WP, Salary slips, letter from company etc etc....he will not have a problem...have a look at SCB or K-bank

Thank you for the information.

Would you mind sharing the MIN salary required along with APR% and annual Fee (if any) for SCB.

There really isn't much between all the different cards, so choose one that gives you the best benefits/service these days. I got the Citibank Royal Orchid Plus Platinum Select card, one month after officially starting work here, was incredibly simple to apply, just showed:

- Passport

- Work Permit

- Salary confirmation letter - minimum required 70,000/month for foreigners

The APR is 20% too I believe, which seems to be the norm across Thai cards, your right it is excessively high coming when compared with Europe/US. The great thing about this card though is that for every 20 baht spent you get 1 Thai Air Royal Orchid Plus mile. Had the card for eight months now and am half way to enough points for a roundtrip ticket to London. Amex Thailand also have a similar card but they only give 1 ROP mile for every 25 baht spent. You also get access to the Thai Air business class lounge if you fly with Thai internationally in any class by showing the card.

Martin

The APR is 20% too I believe, which seems to be the norm across Thai cards, your right it is excessively high coming when compared with Europe/US. The great thing about this card though is that for every 20 baht spent you get 1 Thai Air Royal Orchid Plus mile. Had the card for eight months now and am half way to enough points for a roundtrip ticket to London. Amex Thailand also have a similar card but they only give 1 ROP mile for every 25 baht spent. You also get access to the Thai Air business class lounge if you fly with Thai internationally in any class by showing the card.

Martin

Thanks Martin. This does sound like a good deal and a quick way to rack up on the miles...

So far this looks to a better option than the KTC card (will need to check what rewards they offer)

Looks like KTC is back on the table... looks like they also have a Royal Orchid Plus vis card...

KTC-Royal Orchid Plus VISA Infinite, KTC-Royal Orchid Plus VISA Platinum, KTC-Royal Orchid Plus Titanium MasterCard and KTC-Royal Orchid Plus JCB are as follows:

1) One reward point for every 20 Baht spent via the card

2) Non-expiring reward points

3) Entry fee and annual fee waived for life

4) 10% discount on Royal Orchid travel packages to Japan (KTC-Royal Orchid Plus JCB credit card only) and 4% discount on domestic flight tickets at a number of travel agencies (World Explorer, Takerng Tour, ST Deluxe Tour, TV Air Booking Silom and Majestic Tour)

5) Up to 50% discount on “Best Available Rate” of participating hotels and car rental services (e.g. Imperial, Best Western, Centara and Kantary hotels and resorts, Sheraton Hua Hin, Avis and Master Car Rental)

6) 15% discount on international travel insurance with NZI from only 212 Baht for accident coverage of up to 1 Million Baht and emergency medical care expense coverage of up to 2 Million Baht

7) 15% discount on Samsonite products

8) Possibility of transferring reward points of supplement cards to the primary card

Hi All,

I was told by KTC that minimum requirements for their card is 80,000 THB monthly and minimum of 2 years WP.

I got an American Express card relatively easy, some time ago with less then 1 year WP. And TMB (my own branch keeps offering me one as well) I guess that as anywhere in Thailand, rules and requirements are not very consistent and its kind of hit and miss.

Good luck!

I got a KTC Platinum card with a lower salary. The interests to pay are very high and all the documentation they gave me is entirely in Thai, small print, difficult to translate, no one at the KTC headoffice could help me. Most people I have known in Thailand recommend Siam Commercial Bank, more farang user friendly. I would keep trying to get a card with them instead.

Just took a look at Royal Orchids Plus webisite....

They also advise that the below banks also offer Royal Orchid plus cards:

1. GE Money

2. Kasikorn Bank

3. TMB

4. UOB

Interesting, let us know which one you eventually decide to go for, and if they offer any decent incentives and your experience with them. Always on the look out for a better deal of course :)

Martin

Thank you for the information.

Would you mind sharing the MIN salary required along with APR% and annual Fee (if any) for SCB.

Min salary if memory serves (this was nearly 8 years ago) was THB 100,000/month, APR%, would have to look at one of my statements (at work at the moment), Annual fee.. N/A

The other good thing about SCB is the follow up if it appears there is fraudulant activitiy on your card, they are very quick on the phone to ask if the card has been used etc etc, literally within minutes, my mobile has been ringing and the question asked, these days even getting an SMS from them informing me the C/C has been used, this is the amount, and call this number if there is a problem...

SCB & K-bank are two of the more farang friendly banks in Thailand, so would start there..

I've had a KTC Mastercard for about four years. My husband and I (both working with work permits etc.) got turned down by a number of banks but KTC didn't give us any problems.

Positive points: They have many service centers all over the city, open until 8PM.

Never had any problems with card being accepted, even overseas.

Negative points: Very little English spoken on their help line (less of a problem now for us than four years ago)

You have to pay in person unless you have a Krung Thai bank account (no Internet access, can't send a check

or transfer funds.)

Very rigid schedule. We were going to be overseas once when our payment was due,

so I prepaid before we left. The payment got credited to the previous payment

cycle, and we ended up getting a penalty!

We also have an HBSC credit card now - their interest rate is 19% so 20% doesn't sound that bad.

We almost always pay our full bill anyway, so it's not an issue.

Best,

Sally

I have a KTC platinum as well and I agree with the complaint about there being no documentation in English. Also, they made it extremely difficult to get on the website and check your balance (everything is entirely in Thai and for the last year I've been checking the English section is "under construction"). I had to call and get the service line to create a username and password for me but at least now I can see my statements online. Unfortunately still have to go to seven 11 or the ATM to pay.

I have a KTC platinum as well and I agree with the complaint about there being no documentation in English. Also, they made it extremely difficult to get on the website and check your balance (everything is entirely in Thai and for the last year I've been checking the English section is "under construction"). I had to call and get the service line to create a username and password for me but at least now I can see my statements online. Unfortunately still have to go to seven 11 or the ATM to pay.

That would be a major deal breaker for me, why give your business to these companies who can't offer you a decent service in a language you understand, there are plenty of other choices, Citibank as an example sends my statement each month in full english and their website and telephone support are all in english too. You can also pay your statement through the online banking of most Thai banks, Bangkok Bank being the only major exception for some reason. My favourite thing they offer is their One-Bill service, I gave them the details of all my monthly bills from MEA electric bill to Truevisions and they setup with all the providers to pay all my bills with my card for easy reward points accumulation and no hassles.

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

I decided to go for the KTC Royal Orchid Plus Card and just got it in the mail yesterday.

The information above was all pretty spot on. KTC is not very "English Friendly", but my Thai is pretty good, so not a huge concern.

I went to various banks and they were all pretty much the same in terms of interest rates and card types. They all also offered the "Bill Pay" service.

The main differences were the income required and the "strictness" of document requirements. The card with the lowest income requirement was KTC at only 40,000/mo and the highest was Citi cards at 80,000/mo. KTC also seemed to have the most flexible staff when it came to documents required as well.

All of the Banks wanted WP and 6 months of Bank statements and 6 months of payslips as well as copy of passport. All of the Bank reps advised that there was no "wiggle room" on any of these points.

I could have provided all of the info required, but it would have been a little bit inconvenient to do so. I am very bad about updating my bank book, so there were "gaps" in my 6 month history. (missing 1st month, has 2nd and 3rd, missing 4th, had 5th and 6th).

In order to get 6 month record, I would then have to go to my bank, Bangkok Bank, and request it. Problem is, they advised that you can only get this from the branch you opened your account at. Which for me was a "normal branch" only open during business hours, so not very convenient to get to.

Also I had only saved my last 2 payslips, so did not have the last 6 months. I could have gone back to HR department and sorted this out, but as previously stated it would have been a little bit inconvenient to do so.

The Banks all said, "no must have everything", but the KTC rep, said "no problem we can still do it with what you have". He then collected everything and advised me that someone would be calling me within a week to verify the details in my application. He also "coached me" on the questions that they would ask and how I should answer to ensure that there were no problems. (not a big deal, but seemed to really want to make sure that I wouldn't have any problems).

One week later received the call (in English) and verified details. One week later received the card.

Not sure if this is the case, but it may have to do with the fact that the KTC rep was at a "booth" at the mall and the other reps I spoke with were all "inside" the Banks. I am not sure if the outside reps work off of commissions. If they do, this may be the reason they were more flexible.