Why Do Thais Drive With Their Parking Lights On?

Scalawag

Yesterday while driving in some heavy rain and cloudy conditions, at least half of the cars were driving with their parking lights on - even the cops. In the states, this practice is illegal for good reason. Lights appearing smaller coming at you give the appearance that the vehicle is further away than it is. Parking lights are for parking. Do the Thais think that they are using less electricity and thus less drain on the batter? From what I've read, the drain is equal to the regular lights. Please enlighten me.................

it seems to be against the law to drive a car with lights on. I was driving across the bridge going to Phuket a few months ago during bad weather and it was also starting to get dark so I put my lights on. anyway I was pulled over and told to turn em off :) and he did not even try to get any cash out of me. it was just Turn them off.

strange. anyway, I feel other drivers notice me better when they are on, this may be because of the law in Denmark where I drove for a few years before coming to Thailand. so I keep my lights on all the time. so maybe that is why Thai drivers use there parking lights???

No they are all perfect drivers and can see so well they don't need lights at all.

Joking aside, it really annoys me when they drive with side lights on, sometimes with no lights on late at night, and also some buses or vehicles with lights that do not even work. In some countries this is a on the spot fine, and in Germany you have to have a box of spare bulbs in the car just in case.

But buses leaving Mochit without lights is something I do not understand, they should be checked when leaving the station, same as Government vehicles should be light checked before they leave anywhere at night times, buy hey this is Thailand.

Edited by beano2274

Actually on my driving license test there was a question about this.

By the law you must have the lights on.

On newer motorbikes you can not turn of the lights.

I have also heard about Police pulling over people and tell them to turn off the lights.

So much for Police school.

I have also heard about Police pulling over people and tell them to turn off the lights.

there is a law for Motorbikes to have lights on all day and night, but we were talking about cars! but anyway, have you ever been pulled over on your bike for NOT having lights on?

Agreed. Any state I've ever driven in, headlights come on when the wipers come on.

Beyond that, though, is that most states, and Canada, require DTRs (Daytime Running Lights), which can be in addition to the headlights, but you can run the headlights instead. In other words, lights on 'round the clock. Having lights on in the daytime has been proven to reduce accidents by 25%.

I've driven a couple of times here with lights on, and the cops flash their lights at me. Have been told it's not legal to drive during the day with lights on. Don't know if that's true (can't read Thai yet, so can't reference the road code), but it's just not worth the hassle. Funny that it's ok to have light on scooters - but I would never ride without lights on there!

THere's common sense, THai law and Thai practice - it would appear that all 3 are different.

Common sense would dictate that in bad weather or poor light you would turn on your headlights........the other two don't seem to follow this ogic.

another thing that REALLY annoys me is the new and increasingly common practice of "showing off" your rear fog lights in the rain - this is potentially a very dangerous habit.......but then in the list of potentially dangerous habits, where does it come?

Do the Thais think that they are using less electricity and thus less drain on the battery?

Yes exactly that.

I've seen people in the UK put their car into neutral (whilst driving at high speed)and coast downhill to save petrol, it may well do, but kind of similar, in that they're trying to save money at the expense of safety. I'm sure Thais do the same.

Regards Bojo

there is a law for Motorbikes to have lights on all day and night, but we were talking about cars! but anyway, have you ever been pulled over on your bike for NOT having lights on?

I have been told by police to turn my lights off in the day on a motorbike..

I live on Samui, BiB don't pull over people here.

But my friend was pulled over on Bike on the mainland because he had lights on.

This is the best case I have seen deserving a "TIT!!"

I have noticed the driving lights on in the rain as well. The law back home is if the wipers are on, the headlights are on. Some cars now have the headlights turn on automatically if the wipers are on. I have also heard from various sources that Thai's avoid using headlights whenever possible because it can be an expensive item to replace when it goes out. This is why they wait till the very last moment to turn them on at night. Same with turn signals, although I would say my experience here in Phuket is Thai's over-use the turn signals. For example, I see this often: A few minutes ago the Thai in front of me indicated right in order to pass a car that was in the lane to it's left. I.E. no lane change was needed by anyone, nor was any lateral movement observable in the car indicating. <deleted>? Thai's also have a very complicated and ambiguous signaling system to tell someone to overtake them, and hazard lights mean "I'm carrying on straight." but that's another thread.

The absolute worst is when they install twinkling colored lights in the turn signals, so when seen from the side it looks as if they always want to turn towards you. As I said, TIT.

THere's common sense, THai law and Thai practice - it would appear that all 3 are different.

Unfortunately there seems to be more than a little truth to this statement.

I always notice how Thai drivers resist until almost complete darkness begins before turning on their lights, or wait until the rain gets really hard. I am always the first around to turn on my lights, which I do when daylight begins to end. I do this because it is obvious (to me anyway) that approaching traffic can see me better and thus will enhance the safety of us both. Is this so difficult to comprehend and practice?

I am not impressed by this aspect of Thai behavior. Seems irresponsible and stupid to significantly sacrifice safety just to delay the eventual replacement of headlights by a very short amount of time.

Edited by Lopburi99

I believe running with lights on during the day is reserved for official motorcades/emergency vehicles and police will take action to prevent you doing so. It predates any safety studies.

Thanks Lop3, at least now I can see some logic regarding no lights during the daytime. But nevertheless, lights are delayed much too long before finally being switched on as darkness approaches. The more I think about it, I believe it is mainly the conditioning of people to conserve on spending, but that it has just gone too far.

Edited by Lopburi99

In the UK they are called sidelights rather than parking lights. UK Law states that sidelights must be used between sunset and sunrise - headlights must be used at night (defined as 30 minutes after sunset and 30 minutes before sunrise).

In practice I was always taught that if there was a need to use lights ie, to see or be seen, then why use sidelights as a half measure when headlights would be more effective in all cases.

I have been told by police to turn my lights off in the day on a motorbike..

That would be interesting for me as my bike (Honda CBR) doesn't have a light switch, the lights are on all the time the engine is running.

If you do not turn your lights on at night the roadside ghosts cannot see you.

John

:):D especially the one hiding in the trees

Like the spooks that jump out from behind the trees on beach road who try to put the willies up you ?

If you do not turn your lights on at night the roadside ghosts cannot see you.

John

Like the spooks that jump out from behind the trees on beach road who try to put the willies up you ?

Your referring to the ladyboys of the night......right?

In the UK they are called sidelights rather than parking lights. UK Law states that sidelights must be used between sunset and sunrise - headlights must be used at night (defined as 30 minutes after sunset and 30 minutes before sunrise).

In practice I was always taught that if there was a need to use lights ie, to see or be seen, then why use sidelights as a half measure when headlights would be more effective in all cases.

I've always been under the impression that there are NO circumstances under UK driving law where you need "sidelights" and in fact only headlamps can be used....i would check your source for that one.

they certainly aren't used for parking.

another habit that boggles is on motorcycles - the placing of one's crash helmet over the headlamp at night - a kind of safety double whammy.............

Edited by Histavia

Your referring to the ladyboys of the night......right?

yes. sorry to vear off topic but thought it was funny.

I've always been under the impression that there are NO circumstances under UK driving law where you need "sidelights" and in fact only headlamps can be used....i would check your source for that one.

they certainly aren't used for parking.

another habit that boggles is on motorcycles - the placing of one's crash helmet over the headlamp at night - a kind of safety double whammy.............

UK: headlights do not need to be used in built up areas with street lamps where the limit is 30mph or less.

However if you are the only car in a line without h/lights on, you are very difficult to be seen.

The dim-dip headlights at 1/2 power was an excellent idea, but sadly dropped as didn't fit in with EU rules.

(they were good because normal headlights make a lot of reflections on a wet road at night in town).

It is illegal to park facing the wrong way at night.

Side lights must be left on when parking if the speed limit is over 30 mph, irrespective of the presence of street lights, also if the vehicle weighs over 3.5 tonnes gross.

Anyway..... back to Thailand: I agree with most of the comments above about Thai drivers use of lights (or lack thereof).

Having spent time in North East Tland (Isaan) i can definately say it's right that "save battery" is the thinking.

(What is Thai for battery?) :)

Thais do things that we see as very dangerous because, quite simply, they have no conception or understanding of the danger.

I'm not knocking the Thais, its just a fact.

I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Ignore the Thais because most of the time they don't know which way up is.

At dusk, do not switch on the headlights because at this time of day, it will make it more difficult to see things. Instead, switch on the parking lights. When it becomes appreciably darker, switch on the headlights.

When it's raining during the day, do not switch on the headlights. The reflected light from the wet road is quite often severe. Instead, switch on your parking lights.

I was told that headlights in the daytime were reserved for emergency vehicles, government and VIP's. They can also be used during rain storms.

Yes, well that does make sense.

Clearly, the occasional government or VIP vehicle is far more important, from a road safety sense, than the well-being of the general Thai population.

Yesterday while driving in some heavy rain and cloudy conditions, at least half of the cars were driving with their parking lights on - even the cops. In the states, this practice is illegal for good reason. Lights appearing smaller coming at you give the appearance that the vehicle is further away than it is. Parking lights are for parking. Do the Thais think that they are using less electricity and thus less drain on the batter? From what I've read, the drain is equal to the regular lights. Please enlighten me.................

You could have shortened the title to "Why do Thais drive?"