Walking Away From A Flight Threatened By Bad Weather...

toptuan

After reading news of so many flights that have crashed in bad weather over the last 3-4 years, I personally might just walk away from a flight that was in the process of boarding during such weather. At least at that point you have a choice to save yourself. Unfortunately, when you're in the air and face the prospects of landing in turbulent weather, you don't have much of a choice (To stewardess: "Would you mind asking the pilot just to wait this one out, in a holding pattern?")

If you were at a Thai airport (other than Swampy) and observed heavy winds and driving rain at the gate, would you abandon your

flight--possibly losing the ability to get a refund on your ticket--but possibly saving your own life?

Edited by toptuan

Yes I did just that 2 weeks ago when I learnt that the number 8 typhoon signal had been raised in HK. If birds dont fly in such weather i am danm sure I wont neither. Before checking in turned around and went back home

All flights suspended/diverted automatically upon signal No. 8 going up

Think you can trust the airline, if you are on a major one.

Wonder, if someone threatened by bad weather refused to fly and wanted to go back home, slipped outside (or...) the airport and died, while the flight was normal.

Edited by Birdman

I am a great believer in what will be,will be,so i would board the plane and trust the judgement of the airways company.Maybe if your time is up you will get killed in a taxi after refusing to fly.

Mai Pen Rai/som nam na

For what it's worth, many airlines that service Thailand do behave responsibly. Whatever their failings are, SQ, TG, EVA, CX and even CAI don't screw around. They won't put an expensive plane and the lives of PAX in danger needlessly. I'd think even Air Asia would consider the value of a hull before putting it at risk.

Wonder, if someone threatened by bad weather refused to fly and wanted to go back home, slipped outside (or...) the airport and died, while the flight was normal.

sounds like a scene from final destination 4 :)

it really has to be terrible weather for me not to board the plane.

in fact the weather would have to be so bad that getting to the airport would already be hazardous for my health.

A good question posed by this post since considering the last 4 crashes in Thailand - Samui early 90's and today, Phuket a couple of years ago and Suratthani Xmas '98. Either Thai, Bangkok airways or One 2 Go and all in bad weather. Pretty poor record in such a short space of time.

I'd still fly though!

Regards Bojo

I'm sure the pilot wants to stay alive just as much as I do.

Unless in a previous job he was a local Isaan bus driver.

Well there's respect for the deceased pilot for you..

Odds are he had a cardiac infarct at the controls..considering his age..he may have tried to avoid the tower too..why not wait until the results of the post mortem and air traffic investigators has been finished..

The comment about HK Airport closing on the number 8 signal is not correct, I lived in HK 20 years and did more than a few flights with typhoon signals raised. In my previous post I should have pointed out that I was booked on CI, who have lost two aircraft at HK due to bad weather, one a 747 at Kai Tak and the second a MD11 at the new airport. And yes SQ did lose an aircraft in Taipei during bad weather

After reading news of so many flights that have crashed in bad weather over the last 3-4 years, I personally might just walk away from a flight that was in the process of boarding during such weather. At least at that point you have a choice to save yourself. Unfortunately, when you're in the air and face the prospects of landing in turbulent weather, you don't have much of a choice (To stewardess: "Would you mind asking the pilot just to wait this one out, in a holding pattern?")

If you were at a Thai airport (other than Swampy) and observed heavy winds and driving rain at the gate, would you abandon your

flight--possibly losing the ability to get a refund on your ticket--but possibly saving your own life?

For me, it would depend on the severity of the "bad" weather. Just raining or even basic thunderstorms...I would trust the airlines. I lived not that far from Dulles Airport west of Washington, and in the spring and summer it was not uncommon for flights to be grounded for short periods of time, particularly when a front would move through and there would be tornado watches or warnings. I was on another flight once when we flew into an alternate airport due to the weather.

I agree with the poster who said that he had a degree of trust with the airline. They don't want to lose a plane full of passengers for several reasons, including the extremely negative publicity and the value of the plane in and of itself.

A good question posed by this post since considering the last 4 crashes in Thailand - Samui early 90's and today, Phuket a couple of years ago and Suratthani Xmas '98. Either Thai, Bangkok airways or One 2 Go and all in bad weather. Pretty poor record in such a short space of time.

I'd still fly though!

Regards Bojo

I agree that there is something wrong in Thailand given the above. Other countries is SE Asia have similar weather patterns but haven't recorded a recent string of weather related crashes. The only conclusion one can draw after eliminating weather and aircraft as unique factors is the pilots.

Why do pilots in Thailand not wait for better weather before landing or divert to the alternate ?

In all these cases the pilots were not forced to land when they did. The accidents and resulting loss of lives were avoidable.

I trust the pilots to make the correct decision regarding the weather, but if they don't it's an inherent risk of flying. Wouldn't stop me boarding a flight.

Edited by sibeymai

There is one thing getting an aircraft off the ground in dodgy conditions and trying to get it down in one piece in similar conditions.

I was in one such plane that circled Don Muang for an hour until conditions were such that it could land safely. "Salient to note it was not a Thai flight" :D

Another thing you might take into consideration is "I'm sure the pilot wants to stay alive just as much as I do" as someone has said. He might not want to die "but he doesn't want to lose his job either"

You must also remember that Thai do not emply any foreign pilots and take into consideration that they (Thai pilots) will not want to lose face by either going around a few times or diverting to another airport.

I keep coming back to TG 261 flight that put down at Surat Thani in December 1988 with the loss of 101 lives and 45 injured. The pilot had aborted two attempts to land and then had a third go which was in this case "3rd time unlucky"

There was talk (published) at the time that the pilot was persuaded to land by some "hi-so" passenger. TIT

No official investigation report has been released 10 and a half years later. :)

The best reference point on air crashes is < http://www.planecrashinfo.com/ > run by Richard Kebabjian

Surprisingly he doesn't yet have yesterday's crash at Sumui listed.

Edited by john b good

What if the weather is fine where you start, but bad where you land? Certainly can't change your mind - bit pointless. You just have to trust the pilots know what they are doing or don't fly full stop.

That's what parachutes are for. Am I the only one who keeps one in my carry-on? :)

Edited by toptuan

What if the weather is fine where you start, but bad where you land? Certainly can't change your mind - bit pointless. You just have to trust the pilots know what they are doing or don't fly full stop.

That's what parachutes are for. Am I the only one who keeps one in my carry-on? :)

Cabin is pressurized - will be bit of a nightmare trying to open the door!! :D

Cabin is pressurized - will be bit of a nightmare trying to open the door!! :D

Just wait until it plummets far enough and the pressure equalizes. :D

I will walk away because……

Some years ago (It was a few years after the Suratthani crash) my wife and I was boarding a domestic late afternoon flight in Bangkok after hours delaying due to bad sight and hours with heavy rain. Even the bus from the gate to the aircraft turned around a couple of times before they finally found it safe enough to load up with passengers.

Well up in the air we got! It was first 20 min before we should approach the destination the weather again got bad. Terrible turbulence and the aircraft seemed to move sideways, passengers where praying, one fell unconscious on the floor . Just before approach at the destination airport I come to look out the window and what I see was a roof of a house at the same time the pilot gave full throttle and up again we went.

We finally made to land that evening., but some passengers had to get first aid at the terminal.

We cancelled our return flight and took the bus back.

We are still flying, but always ready to cancel plans on the spot.