How Do I Transfer Ownership?

My Thai wife wants to buy a house from the owner who has a mortgage on the house. The owner's equity is about 30%.

How can the transfer happen? I assume the bank has the chanote and we have to pay off the loan, but I have no idea what the details will be.

Any help would be appreciated.

It was not a house but a condo with a mortgage on it. The bank held the chanote. The banker showed up at the land office ready to sign off. I had previously gotten the amount of the mortgage and had a check made out to the bank for that amount. I had another check made out to the owner for his equity in the condo. Everything went smoothly and I left with the chanote in my name.

Well I am no rocket scientist and I have only been in Thailand for 9 years but I do know hundreds of places where you can fing perfect answers to your questions......They are called Lawyers Offices. I wouldnt be caught dead NOT using a Lawyer here. Go for a walk, see a Lawyers Office and go inside. That is my best advice.

My Thai wife wants to buy a house from the owner who has a mortgage on the house. The owner's equity is about 30%.

How can the transfer happen? I assume the bank has the chanote and we have to pay off the loan, but I have no idea what the details will be.

Any help would be appreciated.

We bought a house which was mortgaged. We went to the bank and signed a buyer and seller agreement with the seller and, we all, including the loan officer at the bank signed the document. I paid the bank the amount that was a mortgage and the balance I paid at the land office to the seller once the deeds we're changed into my wife's name. went very smoothly. Don't forget a usufruct, if you should need one, only 100b to register.

Regards Bojo

Well I am no rocket scientist and I have only been in Thailand for 9 years but I do know hundreds of places where you can fing perfect answers to your questions......They are called Lawyers Offices. I wouldnt be caught dead NOT using a Lawyer here. Go for a walk, see a Lawyers Office and go inside. That is my best advice.

Whether a lawyer is necessary or not is a valid question. Thank god you are such an expert, I'm rushing out and will use the first one I "fing.'

Edited by Jimmyd

We bought a house which was mortgaged. We went to the bank and signed a buyer and seller agreement with the seller and, we all, including the loan officer at the bank signed the document. I paid the bank the amount that was a mortgage and the balance I paid at the land office to the seller once the deeds we're changed into my wife's name. went very smoothly. Don't forget a usufruct, if you should need one, only 100b to register.

Regards Bojo

Thanks Bojo,

I'll head down to the bank to see what's required tomorrow.

Edited by Jimmyd

Regards Bojo

Thanks Bojo,

I'll head down to the bank to see what's required tomorrow.

You dont need a Lawyer to buy and sell property in Thailand you need someone who specializes in land transactions a lot cheaper than a lawyer. PM if you need info

• 1 month later...