Red Tape Imposed By British State Pension Dept

The Dept Of Work And Pensions, England have been paying my pension since May into Bangkok Bank, London. But they are now saying the way the transfer facility is set up, it is a third party account and they can't pay into that. It's all about the reference number on the BACS clearing system. They say they can continue to remit to the bank but its up to me to arrange for them to forward the money to my Thai account!

I know many of you would say use a British bank. Fact is, I don't have an address in the Uk, although I do still have a bank account. However, a debit card would have to be sent to a UK address - I don't have family or friends prepared to offer address or forward the card!

I don't want to go down the route of risking having a cheque sent by airmail. I will be speaking with both Bangkok Bank and the pension office on Monday. In the meantime, does anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

The Dept Of Work And Pensions, England have been paying my pension since May into Bangkok Bank, London. But they are now saying the way the transfer facility is set up, it is a third party account and they can't pay into that. It's all about the reference number on the BACS clearing system. They say they can continue to remit to the bank but its up to me to arrange for them to forward the money to my Thai account!

I know many of you would say use a British bank. Fact is, I don't have an address in the Uk, although I do still have a bank account. However, a debit card would have to be sent to a UK address - I don't have family or friends prepared to offer address or forward the card!

I don't want to go down the route of risking having a cheque sent by airmail. I will be speaking with both Bangkok Bank and the pension office on Monday. In the meantime, does anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

Hi Jezz

Before moving out here permanently, I investigated opening a BKK Bank account in London and found no advantage as they charged more than High St banks to transfer to my Surin,BKK Bank account.

What have you been doing up to this recent news?

You are right in your thinking about options to open a UK bank account. Security/ID is tougher than when I worked for a UK Bank and most need at least a UK address with 2 utility bills going to it.

If I were you, I'd explore the options of opening an Internet based account that has a UK sort-code, so that Dept of Woe's&P!ss-ons can set up a Derect Debit to it.

:)

Dave

Hi Jezz

Before moving out here permanently, I investigated opening a BKK Bank account in London and found no advantage as they charged more than High St banks to transfer to my Surin,BKK Bank account.

You are right in your thinking about options to open a UK bank account. Security/ID is tougher than when I worked for a UK Bank and most need at least a UK address with 2 utility bills going to it.

If I were you, I'd explore the options of opening an Internet based account that has a UK sort-code, so that Dept of Woe's&P!ss-ons can set up a Derect Debit to it.

Dave

Hi Dave! My pension only started in May and up to now I have received it Ok - thanks to BKK kindly handling the reference manually, but they can't keep doing that. Good old British bull, eh? I do have an account at British bank, but if they know I'm non resident, it'll blow that! I'll look at your idea of internet a/c. Thanks.

Could you not open an offshore account in one of the Channel Islands, which are part of the UK banking system so can make & receive BACS and CHAPS transfers and direct debits and such. Jersey springs to mind and I know many of the UK's major banks offer accounts there. They are geared up to handle remote account opening so should overcome the draconian UK ID requirements.

Martin

Hi Jezz

Dave

Hi Dave! My pension only started in May and up to now I have received it Ok - thanks to BKK kindly handling the reference manually, but they can't keep doing that. Good old British bull, eh? I do have an account at British bank, but if they know I'm non resident, it'll blow that! I'll look at your idea of internet a/c. Thanks.

Explore Citibank.

My pension from the UK is paid by the provider ( not a state pension ) into Citibank ( along with all the pensions for ex pats they provide ) who then distribute it to the relevant accounts around the world. Costs me about £4 a month.

Could you not open an offshore account in one of the Channel Islands, which are part of the UK banking system so can make & receive BACS and CHAPS transfers and direct debits and such. Jersey springs to mind and I know many of the UK's major banks offer accounts there. They are geared up to handle remote account opening so should overcome the draconian UK ID requirements.

Martin

Thanks, Martin, for suggestion

Explore Citibank.

My pension from the UK is paid by the provider ( not a state pension ) into Citibank ( along with all the pensions for ex pats they provide ) who then distribute it to the relevant accounts around the world. Costs me about £4 a month.

Will look at this too. Thanks.

Same as the OP I don't have a UK address or anyone I would want to impose on so I have my UK State pension paid into HSBC in the Channel Isl.

They are not cheap, monthly charge if your account is below a certain level and also ATM charges but it does work.

DD

Explore Citibank.

That sounds like a very good deal to me. Most off-shore accounts have a minimum balance requirement or monthly charge for the 'so called expert' service,I'll have to check out Citibank

Thanks Maverell

Dave

I have 2 barclays accounts and my posting address for both accounts has been in Thailand for over 6 years. Never been a problem until I tried to register with Western Union online. Apparently for them they need the posting address to be UK based.

My point is you can have a UK bank account and have all your cards, statments etc sent to thailand.

I still have 10 years or so before I get my pension :D :D

Once I get that I can let my weight increase and blend in with the other farang.

Did I mention I am hansome man already :)

I have 2 barclays accounts and my posting address for both accounts has been in Thailand for over 6 years. Never been a problem until I tried to register with Western Union online. Apparently for them they need the posting address to be UK based.

My point is you can have a UK bank account and have all your cards, statments etc sent to thailand.

I still have 10 years or so before I get my pension :D:D

Once I get that I can let my weight increase and blend in with the other farang.

That's news to me! I understand a British bank will only send cards to a UK address.

I have First Direct Internet Bank Account in the UK, part of HSBC

Cards are sent to HSBC here in Thailand and I have to go in person with passport to pick them up.

First Direct , I believe, only offer accounts to UK residents. I don't think you would have a problem if you lived abroad but I assume you would need a UK address to open an acct.

I looked into it when a UK friend recommended them and saw on their website "for UK residents only".

I have First Direct Internet Bank Account in the UK, part of HSBC

Cards are sent to HSBC here in Thailand and I have to go in person with passport to pick them up.

Thats good for you! My account is with a small building society and they only send cards to clients UK address.

I still have 10 years or so before I get my pension :D:D

That's news to me! I understand a British bank will only send cards to a UK address.

I have been with LloydsTSB in Jersey for about 9 years and they sort of have a policy of not sending cards to Thailand.

Saying that however they have always sent them to me here (including a couple that came with a letter that said they don't send cards to Thailand)

Last month I losy my debit card and reported to the lost and stolen depaertment and 9 days later at 6.30pm on a Sunday night I met the local postman in the village and he gave me my new card. Eat your heart out UK GPO.

It was sent TNT to Khampaeng Phet and EMS for the last 65 km.

channel islands would be the best I spoke to an american the other day that is visiting the uk, she had a visa debit card/bank account with the abbey (i think) in jersey, she said she never visited jersey and the application etc was dealt with by the abbey in the USA, she could not open an account here as she had no proof of residency

I remember reading somewhere on the Nationwide website that you can change your address and put a foreign address if it is your new permenant address.

It could be worth researching. Maybe they refer to an EU address but it did not says so. Only stipulation was you had to made the change of address in your branch (prior to moving)

I remember reading somewhere on the Nationwide website that you can change your address and put a foreign address if it is your new permenant address.

It could be worth researching. Maybe they refer to an EU address but it did not says so. Only stipulation was you had to made the change of address in your branch (prior to moving)

That is correct.Nationwide account OPENING formalities require a UK address plus 2 utility bill, but once open, I transfered my address to my Thai address and still recieve correspondence AND plastic cards from them. A change of address form can be completed online,printed then sent to your branch.

The only difference in running an online flex acoount from Thailand is they do NOT issue one of those card reader gizmo's to you abroad and you make online purchases in the normal way (pre- card reader method).

Dave

A letter I have from the UK Inland Revenue/Pension Dept states that, "the UK retirement pension can be paid anywhere in the world".

I gave it to a friend and he has his pension paid into a Thai bank I believe.

Yes, it can be paid to anywhere the world, but they will not pay directly into a Thai bank, they will only send a Stirling cheque to a Thai address or bank, so they are technically correct about paying to anywhere in the world.

I find their website pretty helpful

http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/ipc/co...es/thailand.asp

Edited by theoldgit

A letter I have from the UK Inland Revenue/Pension Dept states that, "the UK retirement pension can be paid anywhere in the world".

Yes, it can be paid to anywhere the world, but they will not pay directly into a Thai bank, they will only send a Stirling cheque to a Thai address or bank, so they are technically correct about paying to anywhere in the world.

Thanks for clearing that up "theoldgit", helpful to know!

"Yes, it can be paid to anywhere the world, but they will not pay directly into a Thai bank, they will only send a Stirling cheque to a Thai address or bank, so they are technically correct about paying to anywhere in the world."

Yes that is correct but be aware the time it takes for a check to arrive at the Thai Bank and then they return it for confirmation or something anyway the whole process can take well over a month before you can actually get the money.

"Yes, it can be paid to anywhere the world, but they will not pay directly into a Thai bank, they will only send a Stirling cheque to a Thai address or bank, so they are technically correct about paying to anywhere in the world."

Yes that is correct but be aware the time it takes for a check to arrive at the Thai Bank and then they return it for confirmation or something anyway the whole process can take well over a month before you can actually get the money.

Yes, I am aware of that, so I get mine paid into my Nationwide IOM account, as well as my Civil Service Pension, and electronically transfer to my Thai bank every couple of months or so.

Bizarrely enough my Civil Service Pension can be paid into my Thai bank but only in Stirling, so I get a better rate having it paid offshore, then if anything happens I haven't got to worry about getting my cash out of Thailand.

I find it a big joke.

The UK is supposed to be a leading international finance centre. The whizz kids can award themselves billions in bonuses. Transactions are measured in milliseconds.

But when it comes down to us normal people, we have to deal with bullshit such as BACS, SWIFT, CHAPS, three day transfers and extremely high fees. The Thai banks offer a vastly superior service, and with a smile from attractive young women.

However, I would NOT recommend transferring the UK pension to Thailand, because you will not get the annual increase. Another piece of UK nonsense.

I have read on the Directgov website that they will pay direct into a Thai bank from this October.....copied from the site

How the State Pension is paid if you live abroad

If you live abroad then your State Pension can be paid directly into one of the following:

• a bank in the country in which you live
  • a bank or building society in the UK

Payment to a bank in the country where you live

Your State Pension can be paid electronically into any of the following countries: Antigua, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Barbuda, Belgium, Canada, Channel Islands, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominica (Commonwealth), Dominican Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Grenada, Guyana, Hong Kong, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, South Africa, Spain, St Kitts – Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and Grenadines, Sweden, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, United States of America.

From October 2009 additional countries will be: Bangladesh, Bulgaria, Colombia, Egypt, Greece, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Morocco, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Poland, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey and Yemen.

Payment will be made in the local currency of the country in which the bank account is held. No charges are made for this service.

Edited by Tafia

I have read on the Directgov website that they will pay direct into a Thai bank from this October.....copied from the site

How the State Pension is paid if you live abroad

If you live abroad then your State Pension can be paid directly into one of the following:

• a bank in the country in which you live
  • a bank or building society in the UK

Payment to a bank in the country where you live

Your State Pension can be paid electronically into any of the following countries: Antigua, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Barbuda, Belgium, Canada, Channel Islands, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominica (Commonwealth), Dominican Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Grenada, Guyana, Hong Kong, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, South Africa, Spain, St Kitts – Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and Grenadines, Sweden, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, United States of America.

From October 2009 additional countries will be: Bangladesh, Bulgaria, Colombia, Egypt, Greece, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Morocco, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Poland, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey and Yemen.

Payment will be made in the local currency of the country in which the bank account is held. No charges are made for this service.

Interesting, very interesting.

When I draw 10,000 baht from my LloydsTSB offshore account it costs me 150 baht , no problem, and around £2.80 depending on the exchange rate from Lloyds.

A couple of months ago I transferred 40,000 baht at it cost me £19 at Lloyds PLUS a further £12.89 for "our agents" charge, something that I had not seen before.

If the state pension can be sent to my Kbank free of charges that will be a good saving every month.