How Do You Prevent Yourself From Prejudging Others?

dondraper

Only reason i was replying is because dondraper used my name in his original OP, so felt i should reply. Then it was edited two times, removing a ton of text, and replacing it all with just that short sentence. :)

I don't prejudge anybody. I certainly don't judge anybody on an open forum. I have to know how they react under different circumstances before I make any decisions. Even when I hear nasty things spoken by someone else I'm willing to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I just take into reasoning how my own siblings have reacted to exactly the same circumstances when I've been there, to understand that others view the same situation from a completely different perspective. I've had what I thought were friends betray me, so I know you can't always judge character correctly. Only three or four times in my life have I instinctively known someone was evil and it always proved to be right. In each case those guys went on to murder somebody.

I don't prejudge anybody.

Hard to believe. We as humans are WIRED this way for our very survival. I think the best thing is to be aware of some of the baser elements of our biology and use our higher powers of reason to avoid being unfair to people.

Hard to believe. We as humans are WIRED this way for our very survival. I think the best thing is to be aware of some of the baser elements of our biology and use our higher powers of reason to avoid being unfair to people.

Agree.Prejudging comes first,benefit of the doubt comes later on :)

Agree.Prejudging comes first,benefit of the doubt comes later on :)

There is a big difference between prejudging someone and being cautious. I still say I don't prejudge anyone unless they instantly show aggression. It's all in the eyes. And, even with crooks I can be understanding. I mostly just feel sorry for them. You certainly can't judge anyone on an internet forum. You have no idea what the person is really like until you meet them.

About all you can prejudge is the colour of their skin, whether they are short, tall, fat or skinny, male or female. That's not to say you might not want to associate with certain people according to their actions.

We are animals with very complex instant filters. The first thing we do when encountering another animal, human or not, is instantly determine whether they are a threat to our lives so that we can decide to fight or RUN ... To turn off these filters would be as hard as to turn off our instinct to BREATHE.

We are animals with very complex instant filters. The first thing we do when encountering another animal, human or not, is instantly determine whether they are a threat to our lives so that we can decide to fight or RUN ... To turn off these filters would be as hard as to turn off our instinct to BREATHE.

There are scientific studies to prove it,this animal instinct seems to be faster than thinking.Of course this doesn't work via-internet,i might like to share a drink with somebody i totally disagree with on a Forum,or vice-versa.

Bullsh!t. How exactly do you sniff another dogs arse on the bloody internet, eh?

I think you did't understand the meaning of my post,or more likely i expressed myself poorly.

btw,the tone of your comment is not doing you any favour.. :)

I think we are comparing apples to oranges, Jingthing. Or at least we are looking at the same subject from a different viewpoint.

I photographed this bear from a VERY close distance (3 meters?). I knew it was a potential threat if I made any threatening moves but I could read it and it could read me. It wasn't a case of prejudging. It was a case that we both understood the other...

Black_bear_head_1.sized.jpg

Same with this cobra that was close enough to tap the lens on my camera to let me know not to come closer. We both understood that were not going to harm the other.

Cobra_017.jpg

It's the same with people. What I call prejudging is making an instant decision with just one look that someone is a jerk, or a wonderful person. Certainly you can be fooled by a clever con-man (or con-woman) and prejudging them wouldn't make a particle of difference. An attractive person of the opposite sex (or similar sex depending on your interests) might easily fool you into being more trusting than you should, but I don't know how prejudging them would make any difference. Unless of course, you had a bad experience previously.

Bullsh!t. How exactly do you sniff another dogs arse on the bloody internet, eh?

I think you did't understand the meaning of my post,or more likely i expressed myself poorly.

btw,the tone of your comment is not doing you any favour.. :)

Now now Mau.....apparently you cannot judge people on the internet.......NanLaew is probably really good at polite reasoned debate.......

He just keeps it well hidden on occasion when he posts..... :D

I photographed this bear from a VERY close distance (3 meters?). I knew it was a potential threat if I made any threatening moves but I could read it and it could read me. It wasn't a case of prejudging. It was a case that we both understood the other...

Same with this cobra that was close enough to tap the lens on my camera to let me know not to come closer. We both understood that were not going to harm the other.

Strewth! It's the second coming of Steve Irwin!

Or Dr. bloody Dolittle!

Be careful about the bears!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427312/

Timothy Treadwell met his demise when he brought a third party into the mix. There are fairly well documented facts that the woman he was with was on her menstrual cycle, and that has been known to trigger aggression in bears. Had he stayed alone he would likely be still around today. Steve Irwin died of a freak accident when he got stung by a sting ray in the heart. But, when dealing with nature in the raw like both these men there are certain risks taken. Some people feel the risks are worth it. Just look at all the high adrenalin sports: extreme skiing, sky diving, mountain climbing, car racing, etc, etc.

But, further to the OP's discussion I think some people are mixing up prejudging with being aware of the environment around us. Everyone makes judgement calls every day on what can happen in any given situation. We might notice the colour of someones skin, their racial background, their sex, etc, but we only prejudge them if we assume they have attributes they may or may not have.

When I meet someone for the first time I may or may not be attracted to them. That doesn't mean I've prejudged them. I don't care about the colour of someones skin, but if I see they don't like me then I leave them alone. I don't really give it any mind and don't care what they think. It's only when reacting with someone for a while that I'll start making assumptions. And, even then those assumptions might be wrong.

When i meet or see someone for the first time i don't prejudge,but i'm cautious,because the very nicest person you meet could be up to no good and

i'm very cautious of people who are too nice!!

I agree with Ianforbes about some thing in the eye's and there's the body language too that give's a few signals,but sometimes we can be wrong

about these thing's(someone with a menacing look could be a good person.)

Then you have the people who you think are your friend's (these are the one's you have to watch out for) who lie and deceive you for little or no reason,sometimes it's jealousy or just simply because you won't go with their flow!

Then there's what you hear about people from others with an agenda(again just someone with a grudge)who for reason's have a dislike for that person

and will say anything to make that persons life difficult! I tend to stay clear of people who have all the gossip because tomorrow it could be me

they are talking about!

I'd never judge someone on their appearance or first meeting,but always cautious!

• 3 weeks later...
is it not instinctual?

Its called stereo typing, in short you have a bad experience with a fat guy with red hair and all fat guys with red hair are going to give you a bad day. It is part of our defence system. So no need to prejudge. :)

I agree with those basically saying that it is possible to use discernment without judging.

It has been taught that both pre and post judging are the same bullsh*t. Judge (anytime) and you will be judged is what living life (not reading a book) has taught me. Since I do not want to be, nor do I like being judged, I choose to do my part to stop creating it = refraining from judgement while retained the quality of discernment.

That works for me anyhow. Others are welcome to their own way about it :)

How Do You Prevent Yourself From Prejudging Others?

As someone else mentioned, there is normally no need. Go with your gut reaction and don't try to make excuses for someone or something that you know from your first reaction might get you in trouble. They may have the chance to make you reconsider your opinion, but the gut reaction is rarely wrong in my experience.

You can lose a lot of self respect and a lot of money trying to see the good in everyone. Prejudging is a natural thing - nothing wrong with it.

Ian Forbes. I thought that Cobra photo was great BTW. :) A good example.