How Thais See Farang

Neeranam

It's not a farang thing or particular to thailand. I'm thai, born and bred but grew up in the states. Whenever i'm back, most of my relatives assume i'm loaded cause i'm from the u.s. So it's more about if you're from a "developed" country visiting a "developing" country. Farangs, japanese, or whoever comes on visit thailand are assumed to be well-off since they have money to travel. It's the same when i go to some countries in s. america. Remember, even a dishwasher in america making 6 bucks an hour is a heck of a lot more than in thailand for many people. So just shrug it off with a smile and don't worry so much about what other people think. Rich or poor, it's your personality that will win people over, hopefully.

Good point. It's about economics, not skin color. My wife gets the same treatment in her home village and from her own family. She lived in Thailand until she graduated from high school, lived in the U.S. for over twenty years and then we came back to live near her hometown. When my wife is treated like that it annoys me even more. It's OK if people want to plunder me, being a stranger, but their own flesh and blood?

As for "winning people over", thanks for the encouragement. I hope that will happen some day. However, we can't seem to get past just being a source of $$$ :o .

Apologies to the senior forum members. I'm just a newby here. I'm many others have made similar comments about $$ and inlaws since this forum has been in existence, but I have to vent a little once in a while.

Edited by Bryan in Isaan

I remember years ago, we would get plane loads of "rich Japanese" tourists. Everyone of them with a fancy camera and (seemingly) a ton of cash.

Litlle did most people know (at the time), that a lot of these "tours" were organized by the companies those Japanese worked for. Tours were used as perks to make up for smaller wages (and the companies could probably write off the travel costs).

Many of those people lived in tiny apartments the size of your average bedroom, didn't own a vehicle at all, and spent an excessive amount of their earnings to buy the latest, greatest camera to gain "face" amongst their colleagues.

They may have saved up for years just to have a good time on that one trip.

I was the same during my first couple of trips to LOS. Tried to explain to some of the girls that the airfare and the cost of the holiday would take me almost a year to pay off.

I am Thai the way i see Farang i dont' think all Farangs are rich cos They are the same as us but Some Thai assume that Farang who comes from developed country and their money is better than Thai ,,,I do think like some farang who come here have to work for long time and keep their money some of them are not rich also.in order to spend here,,..

Some Thai treat the foreigner so high cost but don't you think when we go there i mean your country ,,your people charge us also? ,,..

:o yeah Many Thai stereotype that All Farangs are so Rich ,,,

But not me ok?

Fact is, unlike the locals, we couldn't care less if our American friend is richer than us.  We are happy for him.  We have heard that this is common - the richest farang in the area "raises the bar" so to speak for the other farangs.  The locals think that every farang is or should be as rich as the richest one.

Bryan

Yeah, the phrase "keeping up with the Jones," is in fact a western adaptation of "keeping up with the Somsaks," because westerners don't know what face is and had to import the concept.

:o

How Thais See Farang, We are all millionaires?

Arent we? I am on the wrong board by the looks of it. George please register thaivisamillionaires.com as I am sick of sitting around with these glorified backpackers (here we go :o )

Arent we? I am on the wrong board by the looks of it. George please register thaivisamillionaires.com as I am sick of sitting around with these glorified backpackers (here we go :o )

If you like backpackers (rich or poor) try riding the BTS awhile and see how you enjoy it! :D

I'm retired and spend a lot of time living in Loei province. I'm not rich by any means and couldn't afford to live in the USA above the bare minimums. Here I am rich. My satellite UBC dish on one side of the house and my IPSTAR satellite Internet dish on the other side cost much more than the majority of Thais up here make. Why wouldn't they think we are rich? That said they all treat me well and I don't have people trying to beg or beat me out of anything.

You ae very lucky that you don't have people trying to get money off you!

You don't have to work and have the 'luxuries like UBC, and IPSTAR.

I have to work and don't have any satellite or cable tv, unlike my neighbours.

I try to explain that if I want to retire in my home country, I need to save about 10,000 B a month. they are mostly govt. employees who will get a decent pension.

Also they don't have to think about putting their kids through international type schools. For that I need to save at LEAST another 10,000 B. If I want to go home with the family once a year, I need to save 10,000 B a month. That is a total of 30,000 Baht. my salary is 30,000 Baht, yeah more than my neighbours but I have spent it all already and not even eaten, paid my rent, given pocket money, paid my bills etc. And I have to pay rent whereas all my neighbours own their houses. I could go on, but it is nice to vent once in a while. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy here :o , just a bit of a pain in the arse when I am waiting for the sontaew and people ask me for money as I am rich. Ask me if I have any friends who would want to marry them etc. They all have new cars, which I can't afford.

They seem to think that the "farang' Govt. will give me money. Maybe when I retire in 30 years back to the UK, the govt will provide for my family and I. Maybe not.

I better get the golf clubs ready for my 9 holes. Ah, maybe that is why they think I am rich, playing the rich man's game.

Arent we? I am on the wrong board by the looks of it. George please register thaivisamillionaires.com as I am sick of sitting around with these glorified backpackers (here we go  )

Backpackers on the bts?

Surely this is too expensive and uneccessary, when there are 4 Baht buses.

Some Thai treat the foreigner so high cost but don't you think when we go there i mean your country ,,your people charge us also?

Sunlaree - if you are asking if asians get overcharged for things in Western countries the answer is no. The taxi driver will take you straight to your place, the prices in the shops are the same. You will however pay a lot more for university fees, as home nationals are subsidised by the government.

Some Thai treat the foreigner so high cost but don't you think when we go there i mean your country ,,your people charge us also?

Sunlaree - if you are asking if asians get overcharged for things in Western countries the answer is no. The taxi driver will take you straight to your place, the prices in the shops are the same.

Not completely true, in my experience, especially with cab drivers, and I was one for a while with SF Yellow Cab. It does happen, but mostly isolated, but areas like airports and hotels are often easy pickings for scam artists in many countries, since mostly the lazy drivers prefer these places too, because they think it's easier than hustling the streets, and they're looking for the 'easiest' money for minimum work. That's human nature. I don't see Thailand much different in that regard than in many western places...

Some major tourist centers have exactly the same setup for tourgroups as you'll find here. Special stores and restaurants only for Japanese or Chinese or whatever tourists, tour programs that take them to one commercial center after another, just like here... Special Shows, too :o

Apples and Oranges, in my view

Edited by Ajarn

Simbo , DJ pat I don't think you should judge thai people like you do because of their way of living.I'm sure you no better , if somebody handed you a months salery for 2 hours work you'd probably do things that are quite worse.I know i would.And ofcourse pattaya is built on tourists , in 10 years it's gone from small to bigtime. It's all buisness.But somewhere between all the hoes there is an angel.

Sunlaree - if you are asking if asians get overcharged for things in Western countries the answer is no. The taxi driver will take you straight to your place, the prices in the shops are the same.

Not completely true, in my experience, especially with cab drivers, and I was one for a while with SF Yellow Cab. It does happen, but mostly isolated, but areas like airports and hotels are often easy pickings for scam artists in many countries, since mostly the lazy drivers prefer these places too, because they think it's easier than hustling the streets, and they're looking for the 'easiest' money for minimum work. That's human nature. I don't see Thailand much different in that regard than in many western places...

Some major tourist centers have exactly the same setup for tourgroups as you'll find here. Special stores and restaurants only for Japanese or Chinese or whatever tourists, tour programs that take them to one commercial center after another, just like here... Special Shows, too :o

Apples and Oranges, in my view

Well, you could be right - since I never really went to those places in my own country. But I have found here that I regularly get taken for a long ride in regular cabs. I can't say for the States never having been there, but in England I'm sure this almost never happens. Certainly not with black cabs, nor with private minicabs. My Thai friends who have lived in the UK have all told me that they never had this problem. In fact one of them says she never gets a cab here alone, as she was molested a couple of times (as an adult) by the drivers. She said in the UK (she lived in Brighton) she was always happy that the drivers took the direct route and always waited on the street untill she had gone in through her house door to make sure she was safe.

Us mincy moany whinging Pommies tend to make complaints if we feel we were ripped off so it is harder to do in the UK. If it is a black cab complaints are taken seriously and the driver will lose his cab liscence if found to be fleecing people. But as you say - it happens mostly in isolated areas, so it sounds like it is not so much of a problem in the States as it is here in Thailand. I continually have to correct drivers taking detours here, usually getting out without paying when I know the way and feel the driver is not making a genuine mistake (which also happens)

but in England I'm sure this almost never happens. Certainly not with black cabs

Good point, and matches my experiences in London, too. Very professional operation with the black cabs. I only wish the americans would adopt such standards...

The thing is, taking 'the long way' is mostly a newbie, or clueless mistake. In Thailand, many of these guys are just 'guessing' about how to get some places.. Other drivers might try and use the expressways to rack up fast baht.... Lots of desperate folks here hustling to support themselves. Tough sometimes to seperate the good-but-stupid from the cheating hearts.

Where I come from, experienced drivers know that the 'long way' is more often a waste of time, and you will lose any tip if the customer realizes it. Smart drivers know the best way to make money is to not waste time, to get you there as fast as possible, dump you, and catch the next fare asap. Even those flag drops do add up.. :D

I loved driving taxi for a couple of years. It really fitted well with my personality at the time... :o

Yeah i feel bad when i see Thai cheat on Farang also but ,,the question for Pandit is Have you asked All Thai who have been to Europe? :o

I do understand some farang has to keep their money for long time and work so hard to come here for example i do a job as visa consultant some of my customer is bar girl i can see how they cheat on White farang by asking for tourist visa to go with _tupid farang who has a true love and send money to them every month ,,as my duty i have to collect all the documents for them i am appreciated for this _tupid farang who doesn't care about thier bar girl who they are ,what they come from and some of my customer end up with NO i don't want to go cos THis guy is not so Rich as my new guy that i just went out with him,,, I feel pity for him ,,feel angry with these _ _cking Bar girl... :D ,,um any way they are my customer,,i just keep my mouth close...

I am from country side to study in Bangkok i always see and know that Thai think only White people must have a lot of money ,, :D:D

But if you stay here for long i know you know how to cope with these bad Thai people ,,

:D He He i can see from My american teacher told me ,,OH he is clever with that some bad Thai :D

A backpacker, who enjoys himself here, will possibly return one day, when he has made his fortune, bringing his family, spending big bucks. Don't knock em. :D

My Thai gf visited me for three months in Sweden last year. She came with little of the prejudices that I was rich and spoiled. Here she had the oportunity to acompany me in some of my worktasks and off cource we shared my everyday life here in a suburb to Stockholm. Now she has gained a much higher respect for me. She knows I work very hard and live very modest.

"Khun tamngan lambaak le ghaw kriat tukwan!" "Khun tamngan lambaak-gwaa tii baan chen!" "Khun mii kwaamkit muan konthai." Etc.

She knows I can't afford to go to restaurants, movies and such luxuries here. She understands I mostly wear workclothes and after 10-12 hours intense physical work without lunch is too tired to go out for fun on weekdays. Or for that part make love to her everyday. :o

She understands I have a small set of decent clothes which I reserve for my precious holidays to my beloved LOS. She understands I want to dress neatly in Thailand as a way of being polite and as a way of expressing my gratitude as a guest in LOS. She knows I save up for my holiday the whole year. etc...

I on my hand have as from the first day I set fot in LOS still the highest respect for the hardship and hard work of the everyday rice farmer and other working kindhearted people I've encountered in LOS.

The key to understanding and respect is insight in the other parts everyday life.

Finally a comment on the frequence of Taxi scams in Thailand versus West.

I can only speak for Sweden.

A couple of years ago I heard a story of a Canadian couple. They were driven from Arlanda airport north of Stockholm to the city. The cab driver charged them the same amount in Euro as the should have paid in Swedish Crown. Euro is roughly 10 times more than Sw Crown.

There has been numerous reports of scams against tourist by Taxi drivers here.

Now I think the airport authorities have set up some kind of blocking/system against that. Just how efficient I don't know.

Cabbies in Sweden cheating tourists is only too common, and not only at Arlanda unfortunately. I haven't been back there for more than two years now but from what I hear and read it's still the same, despite control measures set up(not to mention all the unregistered "cabs" roaming around).

Try a couple of years in Pattaya and tell me how ' wonderful ' the Thai people are.

A city where much of the wealth has been made by people who have slept with someone to get money.

I came to Bangkok to work right after graduating from college. I had no experience in business. My salary right off the bat was third highest.....after the 2 directors. Many Thai employees were there for years with loads of experience (and college degreees). It was something like 100,000 baht per month (it was 25 baht to $1US).

Everyone thought I was LOADED. After paying for all the drinks every friday night

for a year I had not saved too much.

I think most Thai people are smart enough to realize that not all farangs are rich. On the other hand, They know that any farang they encounter in Thailand is at least rich enough to be able to afford to travel to a foreign country thousands of miles from their own home -- something which is completely out of the reach of 90% of the Thai population.

Smart enough to know that a 2 week economic holiday here is cheaper for Brits than a 2 week holiday in England? Apart from seeking good weather, and of course some cultural excitement, Brits come to asia and Spain etc... because it is far cheaper than travelling in the UK.

Smart enough to know that anyone who can afford a two week holiday ANYWHERE is richer than they are.

Yes, quite. Most Thai people do not get the time off work. maybe a week at Songran only.

The Thais who travel abroad are rich.

One other reason could be that Thais all know other Thais who have gone abroad to work and they are all rich. They go to the West to earn big money. They can't understand someone going to a foreign country to earn less money. They seem embarrassed to accept that their country is poor in relation to the West.

Not all Thais who travel abroad are rich. There are many hundreds of Thai teachers and students who travel abroad each year for studying, seminars, training ... They do tourist stuff, too, but not at the level at most of the other Thais on holiday, obviously.

One recent poor 17 year old Issan student studying in Germany under a large government program killed herself...

Just because you see a Thai in a foreign country doesn't mean they are rich... Or happy to be there.

When your air ticket over here costs more than most Thai people's life savings, is it any surprise that you're looked on as "rich"? The vast majority of Thais actually have NO savings -- they lead a hand-to-mouth existence, barely making ends meet, or going into debt.

Next time you're near an ATM machine, grab a handful of receipts out of the trash. I bet you'll see very few balances that would buy a ticket to the US or Europe.

Next time you're near an ATM machine, grab a handful of receipts out of the trash.  I bet you'll see very few balances that would buy a ticket to the US or Europe.

You'll struggle to find an account with more than a thousand baht in it.

I assume that you meant £212 per week not per hour.-No Correct :D

So to compare a person earning near to the minimum wage in the Uk without cosidering the cost of living is only one half of the story.

Anybody in the Uk earning this amount £5.30 per hour if he/she has the normal everyday bills to pay will themselves feel as poor as a church mouse...

To follow on with N.M.W rates .in Uk and LOS.......supprise supprise......and everything thinks Americians are RICH.

Senate Votes Down Minimum Wage Hike Proposals

WASHINGTON (March 8) - The Senate defeated dueling proposals Monday to raise the $5.15-an-hour minimum wage - one backed by organized labor, the other salted with pro-business provisions - in a day of skirmishing that reflected Republican gains in last fall's elections.

Both plans fell well short of the 60 votes needed to advance, and signaled that prospects for raising the federal wage floor, unchanged since 1996, are remote during the current two-year Congress.

"I believe that anyone who works 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year should not live in poverty in the richest country in the world,'' said Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass., arguing for the Democratic proposal to increase the minimum wage by $2.10 over the next 26 months.

$5.15 an hour............... :D:o

Gotta admit I thought in the land of the real FREE it was a bitty more than THAT.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.ad...S00010000000001