How To Catch Those Big River Fish?

MaiDong

I live near a river here in Bangkok, all day and night I see large catfish rising and I've seen other large fish swimming around. I went with a few Thai mates the other night but we only managed to catch 1 fish which was dropped under some wooden planks and we were unable to get it back again! Anyhow, I decided that they were pretty crap fishermen, making a huge amount of noise, banging around and flicking their ciggarettes into the river, along with anything else they could pick up :)

Those were probably the main reasons they only caught 1 fish in the 4 hours we stayed there but I'd really like to know what these bkk river fish feed on, I tried floating some bread on the surface as I'd seen so many fish rise but either they were only rising to shake the worms off or they simply didn't like bread!

I could try many different baits but I'm not that patient, I'd much prefer someone who has successfully caught river fish here in bkk to tell me what they have used with success :D

My mates were also using the most complicated rigs, lots of springs and some of these spring contraptions even had multiple hooks hanging off them as if they were trawling for mackeral!

I love to just freeline back in the UK but is there a reason the Thais seem to use so much seemingly unneccessary tackle?

Help! :D

Nobody has got any ideas or tips for me??

I saw the bait guides that GarryP posted but I'm only looking for something simple, I don't want to boil and mix 3kg of bananas with Fermented white striped catfish or whatever it was, surely Thai fish eat more simple fare...

I went fishing again last night and the river was hardly moving for most of the 2 hours I was there, I did'nt get a single tickle on the line, this may have been down to the Thais(again) tapping the bank with sticks to pointlessly scare the dogs away from the opposite side of the bank - scaring the fish away at the same time methinks :)

I was using fresh earth worms last night and when I'd rpeviously used these worms the catfish went wild for them and I had a good days fishing but last night was dead, am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

I havent fished any rivers in bangkok, but i tried the river in chiang mai. Had some success with big bunches of worms on a simple ledger rig. I also tried fishing a freelined smally deadbait ( about3 inch long) got a big fish on but lost it.. maybe a big cat or some predator?

River conditions are important too if its not moving at all or in a flood probably not gona be as good to fish. keep us informed how you get on mate. good luck.

Edited by chuppachops

Thanks for your reply chuppachops

The problem with this river is that it's very tidal, if it's still then it only lasts for about half an hour, when it's moving it's really moving!

I'll have to look into the smelly deadbait, I always imagine catfish as cuddly looking sloths but they are predators aren't they, maybe I could use some of the missus' phulaa, that smells like dead things - it's probably the most disgustingly smelliest thing I've ever had the miusfortune to come across!

I was using worms the other night but did'nt get a single bite, what are the best conditions here? If I was in the UK I'd know what conditions were good but I've not got a clue here - any help would be appreciated!

The problem with this river is that it's very tidal, if it's still then it only lasts for about half an hour, when it's moving it's really moving!

I'll have to look into the smelly deadbait, I always imagine catfish as cuddly looking sloths but they are predators aren't they, maybe I could use some of the missus' phulaa, that smells like dead things - it's probably the most disgustingly smelliest thing I've ever had the miusfortune to come across!

I was using worms the other night but did'nt get a single bite, what are the best conditions here? If I was in the UK I'd know what conditions were good but I've not got a clue here - any help would be appreciated!

Try live bait, Silver Barbs about 3" long will work and stay lively for a long time if hooked right.

Many make the assumption that Catfish are scavangers only. Far from it.

Make sure to have heavy gear as you will need it when a large cat gets hooked.

Good luck.

Where are you fishing? You say you are in tidal reaches so I would not go with normal earth worms as they are probably not natural to the area you are fishing in. Try juvenile cockroaches, glass shrimp mixed with bran, etc. You can just go to any local bait shop and pick up the bran. Just mix in the shrimp and add water.

Cockles are also worth a try. Simply leave them over night to get nice and smelly.

The spring rigs they are using are Thai style feeder rigs. Going with multiple hooks is just typical overkill. When you strike at least one of the hooks may set somewhere on the fish body!!!!!! I have been known to use this format myself when fishing for Nile Talapia (spelling?) and bringing in two or three fish at a time.

In tidal areas the best bait I have use is a Thai rag worm but you spend half the day just looking for your bait in the swampy areas around Prapadeng.

Edited by GarryP

Actually I plan going fishing this weekend and as I am off work today I will be going out shortly to pick up some stuff to use as bait. Not really decided yet on what I will be using.

Where are you fishing? You say you are in tidal reaches so I would not go with normal earth worms as they are probably not natural to the area you are fishing in. Try juvenile cockroaches, glass shrimp mixed with bran, etc. You can just go to any local bait shop and pick up the bran. Just mix in the shrimp and add water.

Cockles are also worth a try. Simply leave them over night to get nice and smelly.

The spring rigs they are using are Thai style feeder rigs. Going with multiple hooks is just typical overkill. When you strike at least one of the hooks may set somewhere on the fish body!!!!!! I have been known to use this format myself when fishing for Nile Talapia (spelling?) and bringing in two or three fish at a time.

In tidal areas the best bait I have use is a Thai rag worm but you spend half the day just looking for your bait in the swampy areas around Prapadeng.

I'm actually in Bangkok Noi but our canal builds up quite a good speed whichever way the tide is going, I have used worms before here, I used to have a large pond with catfish in and they loved the earthworms but the pond was much more still than the river just the other side of a canal wall so that may have been an advantage.

It could be that there's just not many fish around here but Thai fish seem pretty rescillient fish if they CAN live in bkk waters...

I'll check out my local bait shop and post when I have some results :)

Thanks for your replies!

Edited by MaiDong

• 3 months later...

I'm actually in Bangkok Noi but our canal builds up quite a good speed whichever way the tide is going, I have used worms before here, I used to have a large pond with catfish in and they loved the earthworms but the pond was much more still than the river just the other side of a canal wall so that may have been an advantage.

It could be that there's just not many fish around here but Thai fish seem pretty rescillient fish if they CAN live in bkk waters...

I'll check out my local bait shop and post when I have some results :)

Thanks for your replies!

MaiDong update us please =)

Hi Mai Dong,

The first thing you have to do is identify the species your targeting. if your on klong off off the Chao Praya it's likely the mainstream of fish in the river are Sawai (stripped Catfish) small Tapa (Chao Praya Catfish), Pla Duk and a host of small barb species interspersed perhaps with the occassional bigger fish.

You have to identify the species becuase thye all have different prefernces for food, although in the klongs and rivers around Bangkok most of the fish would liekly of adapted to a varied diet to survive.

The biggest challenge you face is actually gettting fish into your swim. They tend to congragate in areas where they know feed will likely enter the water at a certain time, and in these places, unfortunately fishing is prohibited!(ie outside temples) Thats why river fishing in Bangkok is a bit of challenge.

If I had the time, I know exactly what I would be aiming at....a big Chao Praya Catfish, out of the river, but it would take some serious planning I would guess. A 100lb Chao Praya is very possible in the river but you'd have only a couple of solutions ot catch one. Feed an area at slack tide with deadbaits for a number of weeks. Or trot a livebait down the mainflow!(Chao Praya like hunting in open water). Both quite challenging plans.

Good Luck

I would do exactly as rufanut suggested. I'd pick an area that was suitable for fishing, but not some place close and obvious to others. Then I would ground bait it on a regular basis using what ever was available. Corn has always been good for many species. I don't know how much the commercial fish food costs, but that would be another option to attract different species to a specific area. That will attract many species. From there it is only a matter of time until you have your own private place to fish. Then I would try one of the many baits that have already been posted on this forum. they all work. Ground meat products that have gone "off" also work to attract fish.