Father's Rights

Igon

I just found myself from pretty taugh situation.

I had a Thai girlfriend before and she got pregnant. When I was working in my country she told me she had a miscarriage. Then I broke up with the girlfiend soon after that.

Now I heard the truth from her. She told me the miscarriage never happened, but when baby born she officially gave the baby to her aunt and they are living upcountry. Mother is living elsewhere.

So what is the right thing to do now??? Just forget as she wish??? I dont think so. First of all, I would like make it sure im the father. DNA test, how if she dont co-operate? And how about after that? What are father's rights? Or are there any in that kind of situation??

As you are not married you are not automatically assumed to be the father. If you want to be the father you have to take the baby to the local amphur to be 'legitimised' as the father. What name she may have put on the birth certificate as the father is a different matter.

Well, i dont care about the ex girlfriend and for us it's impossible to return. Anyway, it would be unbearable just to give up and try to forget the baby. But I dont know what can I do if they don't let me even see her.

What name she may have put on the birth certificate as the father is a different matter.

She told me no father was put on the birth certificate, only mother. So, if the mother dont't co-operate, is there any legal ways to put my name on the certificate?

What name she may have put on the birth certificate as the father is a different matter.

She told me no father was put on the birth certificate, only mother. So, if the mother dont't co-operate, is there any legal ways to put my name on the certificate?

you have to take the baby to the local amphur to be 'legitimised' as the father.

Article 1547 of the Thai Civil Code states:

"A child born of the parents who are not married to each other is legitimated by the subsequent marriage of the parents, or by registration made on application by the father, or by a judgment of the Court."

Do a search on thaivisa "registering baby". There is a lot of information there that may help you

She wants you to forget yet she told you anyway? Duh!.....

I got wind of that elsewhere and when asked about it she finally after dozen of lies admitted it. However, who really knows what's going on.

Do a search on thaivisa "registering baby". There is a lot of information there that may help you

Thanks, I will check it out.

personally I would find it unbearable to know my kid is out there somewhere. My Thai male friends dont agree, on the whole- one even thinks he has 1 who hes never met, and he really doesnt seem to be bothered by this.

Exactly what i feel. And also this might be some kind of cultural thing. Ex gf just dont understand why I bother myself with this, i should be happy when no need to give money or take care the baby.

Edited by Igon

There could be more to this than you think OP.

She wants you to forget yet she told you anyway? Duh!.....

Keep your whits about you and your hand firmly on your wallet because something doesn't add up here.

Agreed, there are endless possibilities here

There are some provisions in the law that will allow you to be recognised as the father. Since the mother is not cooperating that would require a court decision, so you better talk to a lawyer specilised in family law.

Note that the question if you can hold joint custody with the mother or even sole custody is a separate question.