2010 Kawasaki Ninja 650r Abs

BigBikeBKK

Do you like naked (ER6n) or faired (Ninja 650R)?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Naked (ER6n) or faired (Ninja 650R)?

• I like to keep my clothes on- gimme a Ninja 650R
    • Naked Baby! I like the ER6n!
    • Naked or faired- I like 'em both!

This poll is closed to new votes

How would you say the Arrow compares to the TwoBros in terms of volume, difficult to tell from the video clip but it does sound a bit less thundrous, always thought the two bros sounded a bit to loud but looked the part...

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then Tony, did you get your bars too, and r they ok for holes or did they give you a set with the two holes on the throttle side, as they were taping over the wrong hole and just pushing them out the door..

Does the arrow come with a o2 threaded stub like my scorpion or do you have to weld one on like your previous 2bros ?, for the dynotune autotune... i will hear the clips later when my internet speeds up a little bit..HD

Hi HD!

Yes- the sport bars have arrived!

Ninja650V2SportBars3Sm.jpg

Holes appear to be where they're supposed to be!

Will try to get them installed this evening and will post pics once they're on.

Yes- the Arrow pipes come with the bung for the O2 sensor:

Arrow_Can.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony

How would you say the Arrow compares to the TwoBros in terms of volume, difficult to tell from the video clip but it does sound a bit less thundrous, always thought the two bros sounded a bit to loud but looked the part...

With the baffle in the Arrow pipe is only a little louder than the stock can and complies with the EU directive on permissible sound levels.

According to Arrow the max volume of the stock can is 94 decibels while the Arrow max volume is 97 decibels. (They don't say how loud the pipe is with baffle removed...)

Baffle removed gives it a deeper, more pleasant note (imho) and more volume, but certainly not as loud as the TWO BROS.

Ride On!

Tony

Well then Tony, did you get your bars too, and r they ok for holes or did they give you a set with the two holes on the throttle side, as they were taping over the wrong hole and just pushing them out the door..

Does the arrow come with a o2 threaded stub like my scorpion or do you have to weld one on like your previous 2bros ?, for the dynotune autotune... i will hear the clips later when my internet speeds up a little bit..HD

Hi HD!

Yes- the sport bars have arrived!

Ninja650V2SportBars3Sm.jpg

Holes appear to be where they're supposed to be!

Will try to get them installed this evening and will post pics once they're on.

Yes- the Arrow pipes come with the bung for the O2 sensor:

Arrow_Can.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony

Great Tony,

the bars look like they are correct....easy to fit, just dont fully split the controls on the the throttle side, split and take off the clutch side first and that will give you enough play to slide the throttle side off the original bars (with the bars unbolted)without spliting that side, watch when you first turn the steering you dont bump the tank, as you will have to turn both controls on the bars to acheive best clearance..oh and my levers just lightly touch the stock screen on full lock, but only slightly, OH and i used lock tight on the allen bolts, but you`ll know that anyway..

I see the O2 bung on the closeups...u got to get a pcv now, it does make a sweet improvement..mine is nearly dialed in now as i accept the trims daily, and every ride the autotune values are slowing down....HD

Edited by husskydog

Just added some sport bars, but haven't had a chance to get our for a real ride yet to get a feel for the changes.

Here's stock bars:

Ninja650RStockBars3.jpg

And sport bars:

Ninja650V2SportBars1.jpg

(Unfortunately I got one of the sets with the misdrilled throttle-side bar so I'm going to go have it re-drilled on Monday)

As you can see, the sport bars are a good 2-3 inches lower than stock which will make for a more aggressive riding position. I find the stock bars too tall for my liking.

After this the only other thing I'd really like to add is a Powercommander PCV and Autotune.

Ride On!

Tony

Just added some sport bars, but haven't had a chance to get our for a real ride yet to get a feel for the changes.

Here's stock bars:

Ninja650RStockBars3.jpg

And sport bars:

Ninja650V2SportBars1.jpg

(Unfortunately I got one of the sets with the misdrilled throttle-side bar so I'm going to go have it re-drilled on Monday)

As you can see, the sport bars are a good 2-3 inches lower than stock which will make for a more aggressive riding position. I find the stock bars too tall for my liking.

After this the only other thing I'd really like to add is a Powercommander PCV and Autotune.

Ride On!

Tony

Oh dear Tony, sorry to hear they gave you the missdrilled tubes, If you do drill that correct lengh hole, i would make sure it`s drilled opposite to the original hole, eg. 180 degrees as to try and maintain the maximum strength of that bar...you dont need a snap on a low sider, god forbid....

If and when you get the pcv+auto tune, the usa ones dont come with the 02 sensor eliminator, the european ones do, so if the cost of the usa pcv`s are so much cheaper go with them and i`ll post the info on the resistor mod that i fitted to enable the auto tune to work as it should, oh and the TRUE NO CUT SLIDERS are out now on ducati ohmaha site, not cheap but look the bizzz....so one more thing for your to get list...HD.... LTGTR

Edited by husskydog

Oh dear Tony, sorry to hear they gave you the missdrilled tubes, If you do drill that correct lengh hole, i would make sure it`s drilled opposite to the original hole, eg. 180 degrees as to try and maintain the maximum strength of that bar...you dont need a snap on a low sider, god forbid....

If and when you get the pcv+auto tune, the usa ones dont come with the 02 sensor eliminator, the european ones do, so if the cost of the usa pcv`s are so much cheaper go with them and i`ll post the info on the resistor mod that i fitted to enable the auto tune to work as it should, oh and the TRUE NO CUT SLIDERS are out now on ducati ohmaha site, not cheap but look the bizzz....so one more thing for your to get list...HD.... LTGTR

Cheers HD,

Yeah, I'm a bit pissed about the sport bars, but it is a very easy fix that I'll take care of on Monday.

Ninja650V2SportBarsWrong.jpg

Other than the misdrilled bar installation was a piece of cake. At full right lock the clutch handle just barely touches the screen. Full left lock the brake handle does not touch the screen, but then the right bar isn't really where it's supposed to be yet because of the misdrilled hole...

Ninja650V2SportBars4.jpg

I saw the new frame sliders at ninja650.com- the in house ones are $179.99, that's a pretty good price for what appear to be very well made sliders.

UploadImages650RFrameSlider-09.jpg

Honestly though I've never used frame sliders until I threw some on my ER6n and I don't think I'll bother with the Ninja 650R. If (when :D ) I lay her down or drop her the fairings are so dam_n cheap here in Thailand that I can replace an entire side of the bike for less than the cost of the sliders. :) I'm constantly amazed how cheap the Kawasaki parts are! (I should probably keep my mouth shut though or they'll raise the prices... :D ) Let the Good Times Roll!

If and when you get the pcv+auto tune, the usa ones dont come with the 02 sensor eliminator, the european ones do, so if the cost of the usa pcv`s are so much cheaper go with them and i`ll post the info on the resistor mod that i fitted to enable the auto tune to work as it should.

Cheers HD,

I'm not sure I understand... I thought the Autotune includes a wide band O2 sensor that needs to be plugged into the exhaust port so that it can monitor the fuel mixture and send that information to the PCV.

If you eliminate the O2 sensor how does the Autotune monitor the fuel mixture?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide!

Happy Trails!

Tony

If and when you get the pcv+auto tune, the usa ones dont come with the 02 sensor eliminator, the european ones do, so if the cost of the usa pcv`s are so much cheaper go with them and i`ll post the info on the resistor mod that i fitted to enable the auto tune to work as it should.

Cheers HD,

I'm not sure I understand... I thought the Autotune includes a wide band O2 sensor that needs to be plugged into the exhaust port so that it can monitor the fuel mixture and send that information to the PCV.

If you eliminate the O2 sensor how does the Autotune monitor the fuel mixture?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide!

Happy Trails!

Tony

If the pcv is used on its own, no changes are made to the standard 02 sensor on the bike, and the pcv connectors just plug inline with the injectors and tps (throttle sensor positioner, for the throttle map stages)...and then the pvc just over writes the stock map in the ecu, it is certanly better than using the stock map as you can program in custom maps for various set ups, eg..k & n plus slip on etc..which i`m sure you are aware of...but the only down side is there isn`t maps for all slipons etc and arrow, and my scorpion dont have dynotune maps for the pcv on the 2010 bikes,,,,so to get the best out of it you need a visit to the dynotune boys or tuners to get it dyno`d and the the map will be spot on, or near spot on..but costly, oh and most carbon cans (slipons) cant be dyno`d as the slipon overheats as no cooling..so if you fit a carbon can and get it dyno`d beware!

or you can maybe get a map from the pc3 for the arrow and convert it for the pcv (different file extensions, but if you load the old pc3 program in your computer and the map you can cut and paste the values into the pcv program and use that as your map) but again not ideal for getting the most out of your bike....

So here steps in the Autotune,

the pcv is connected as before, and then the autotune module is connected to the pcv and yes it monitors and adjusts your fuel tables as you ride, pretty good if you ask me, as it can detect if you are running rich or lean in real time, good for us here with the benzene variables around..and after you ride you can recall the air/fuel adjustments from the autotune trim tables and write them into to your base map, so therefore improving your map all the time..

The autotune has its OWN 02 sensor, so you have to remove the standard one , so therfore the plug for the standard sensor is not connected to anything, and the ecu reports this as a FI fault and the light on the dash stays on all the time , all the 02 sensor eliminator does is it removes the FI warning light, it doesn`t affect the map in any way if the light stays on as your pcv over writes the stock ecu map as i stated before, but the difference is..to get that light out is, $30 for the eliminator from dynotune or 5 baht for a resistor from the local tv repair shop..

So after that long winded story, (sorry), i think the auto tune is a MUST have with the pcv, and dont worry the standard ecu map stays in the ecu if and when you remove the pcv, but you wont want to as it really does remove flat spots and makes the bike come alive with a slipon, which does weaken your mixture to much..

I mentioned before about the euro and usa autotunes, the usa doesn`t have the same issue as the euro bikes, (which ours is ), the emmision system is not the same so therefore the usa ones dont come with the eliminator...hence the resistor...

The whole kit took me and my girlfriend about 2 hours to fit but i took my time...and when i was under the tank i plugged the pair valve, which you must do as the gusts of extra air from it knocks the autonetune sensor off tune...as for pops, i only get the odd one on hard revs then quick shut downs..if you know what i mean.....

Also, i didn`t want my scorpion too loud so i fitted the db killer in it, but as others have noted it does mellow after 2-3000k, so all i need do is take it out drill some more holes in it, and let the autotune re-adjust the mixtures to suit.....perfect, by the way, scorpion has a life time warranty and doesn`t require re-packing, and is so well made...as you will have seen on the other boards, the 2bros is getting a kicking for rivits failing and the can splitting...WOW

Another usefull thing with the pcv, is that you can add a normal on/off switch on the bars and switch between 2 maps as you ride, say one for touring and good mpg, and one for sport riding etc...

But if you use a switch with the autotune connected it switches the auto tune on or off, so you can just lean out your cruising cells in the base map, for better mpg, and switch on autotune if you want for the twisties.........

I think the pcv+autune is way better than just the fuel enricher modules, as it works by monitoring and adjusting all mixtures for all throttle positions, not just a blanket give it more juice across the the range module...cool

HD...LTGTR tony

The autotune has its OWN 02 sensor, so you have to remove the standard one , so therfore the plug for the standard sensor is not connected to anything, and the ecu reports this as a FI fault and the light on the dash stays on all the time , all the 02 sensor eliminator does is it removes the FI warning light, it doesn`t affect the map in any way if the light stays on as your pcv over writes the stock ecu map as i stated before, but the difference is..to get that light out is, $30 for the eliminator from dynotune or 5 baht for a resistor from the local tv repair shop..

Ah! Gotcha! I thought from your previous post that you had eliminated the O2 exhaust sensor altogether which of course didn't make sense. Thank you for the clarification! I hope you won't mind if I contact you about the resistor once my PCV and Autotune arrive :)

Ride On!

Tony

Also, i didn`t want my scorpion too loud so i fitted the db killer in it, but as others have noted it does mellow after 2-3000k, so all i need do is take it out drill some more holes in it, and let the autotune re-adjust the mixtures to suit.....perfect, by the way, scorpion has a life time warranty and doesn`t require re-packing, and is so well made...as you will have seen on the other boards, the 2bros is getting a kicking for rivits failing and the can splitting...WOW

FWIW I was very happy with my TWO BROS pipe and didn't have any problems with it. Quite a few friends are running the same pipe and none have reported any problems either. I must have missed the report(s) about the can splitting- that's quite a shocker. The TWO BROS remains one of the lightest pipes out there, but it's important to remember that it is NOT street legal.

The Arrow is beautiful, doesn't require re-packing, and with the baffle in it is street legal in the EU.

I hope some day I'll get to hear your Scorpion. Heard only good things about it.

Ride On!

Tony

Personally I hate the rearsets on the Ninja 650R / ER6n- they are massive and very heavy. Best aftermarket rearsets I've seen are the Woodcrafts, followed closely by the Rizomas.

I see that woodcraft has finally released rearsets for the 2009 Ninja 650R! biggrin.gif

05-0129350.JPG

http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts/prodV...idproduct=18231

Get some! :):D

I don't know about the rest of you but I don't find the stock seat on the ER6n and Ninja 650R very comfortable for long rides. So today I went and had a custom seat made!

I took a picture of the Bagster seat I really like to a local bike shop that specializes in custom seats and they went straight to work.

Here's the Bagster seat:

selleer62.jpg

I was more after the shape of the bagster than the look, and I'm quite happy with the results.

Gotta love Thai bike shops! ;D

102009SeatMod.jpg

This guy has mad skills!

102009SeatMod1.jpg

He used the most basic tools- a saw blade for cutting, a home made "cheese grater" looking thing for smoothing, and a roll of coarse sandpaper for fine tuning.

102009SeatMod2.jpg

Gotta respect a guy who can come up with home made tools like this-

102009SeatTool.jpg

He even knows how to sew!

102009SeatMod4.jpg

Final product:

102009SeatMod9Sm.jpg

102009SeatMod8Sm.jpg

102009SeatMod7Sm.jpg

Took about an hour and cost 400 Baht! 130.gif

102009SeatMod6Sm.jpg

Ride On!

Tony 125.gif

102009SeatMod5Sm.jpg

I don't know about the rest of you but I don't find the stock seat on the ER6n and Ninja 650R very comfortable for long rides. So today I went and had a custom seat made!

I took a picture of the Bagster seat I really like to a local bike shop that specializes in custom seats and they went straight to work.

Here's the Bagster seat:

selleer62.jpg

I was more after the shape of the bagster than the look, and I'm quite happy with the results.

Gotta love Thai bike shops! ;D

102009SeatMod.jpg

This guy has mad skills!

102009SeatMod1.jpg

He used the most basic tools- a saw blade for cutting, a home made "cheese grater" looking thing for smoothing, and a roll of coarse sandpaper for fine tuning.

102009SeatMod2.jpg

Gotta respect a guy who can come up with home made tools like this-

102009SeatTool.jpg

He even knows how to sew!

102009SeatMod4.jpg

Final product:

102009SeatMod9Sm.jpg

102009SeatMod8Sm.jpg

102009SeatMod7Sm.jpg

Took about an hour and cost 400 Baht! 130.gif

102009SeatMod6Sm.jpg

Ride On!

Tony 125.gif

102009SeatMod5Sm.jpg

Looks good Tony,

Did he change all the foam or only bolster up the back of the drivers seat, how do you know that it will be more comfortable, and if you didn`t use your original seat, how much was the spare?

I thought you had the woodcraft rear sets? I wanted to see them mounted..or are they coming soon?......HD LTGTR

Oh, btw...havn`t asked my dealer yet, but do you know how much for a screen?

I fancy trying out a little cutting like i did on my puig on my other bike.....ta

Looks good Tony,

Did he change all the foam or only bolster up the back of the drivers seat, how do you know that it will be more comfortable, and if you didn`t use your original seat, how much was the spare?

I thought you had the woodcraft rear sets? I wanted to see them mounted..or are they coming soon?......HD LTGTR

Oh, btw...havn`t asked my dealer yet, but do you know how much for a screen?

I fancy trying out a little cutting like i did on my puig on my other bike.....ta

Cheers HD,

More important for me than building up the back was flattening out the seat. I find that the stock seat slopes down and forward a little more than I like. I wanted to flatten it out by shaving down the rear of the seat so that I'll be sitting flatter on the seat. The shop took about a half an inch off of the rear section of the seat. You can see how much was removed in this video:

BTW, please forgive the TERRIBLE soundtrack :) - I originally had Jimi Hendrix but YouTube didn't like it and I had to replace with one of their lame tracks... :D

(Even with the mods I just had done the seat does still slope down, but less than before and I can always go back and have more foam removed)

102009SeatMod9Sm.jpg

Not sure what I did with the receipt but I think the stock seat cost about 1600 Baht. Maybe it was 1200... Can't quite remember...

Not sure what the screen costs but I can check for you when I get back from MotoGP next week, ok?

I only just noticed that the Woodcraft rearsets were available the other day. I haven't ordered them yet as I might be going back to the US for Christmas in which case I'll get them then. (Also, if the Ninja ZX6R comes to Thailand as rumored I may just keep the 650R for touring in which case the stock pegs are probably best)

Happy Trails!

Tony

Tried a shorn (30mm) sheep pad? :)

I've heard that those sheep skin covers are super comfortable and have some friends who swear by them but I also heard that you're not supposed to get them wet... Maybe for the dry season though. Ride On! Tony

if you didn`t use your original seat, how much was the spare?

Hi HD,

Just found the receipt for the new OEM seat (Kawasaki Part # 53066-0205-MA). Price with tax is 1309.68 Baht :)

I bet the screen is even cheaper.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Thanks Tony, for the prices..

Your sure gona give that butt a testing out when you hit the Gp, Stoner rode a blinder on sunday huh!

Zr6, well i still think they are grossly overpriced and cant really justify that here yet....My choice would be a GSX R 1000, i`ve rode a few bikes here, r1, gsxr 1000x2, honda cbr 1000, r6, etc....and by far the best bike is the gsx r...so much grunt low down.....my number 1 bike, that grey/black one in red barron is pure class, but again huge prices......LTGTR

Tried a shorn (30mm) sheep pad? :D

I've heard that those sheep skin covers are super comfortable and have some friends who swear by them but I also heard that you're not supposed to get them wet... Maybe for the dry season though. Ride On! Tony

No problem if wet, just air dry them.

Great for protecting your original black saddle.

A cool arse is a happy arse. :)

A couple more pics of the 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 650R with Arrow exhaust-

102009Ninja650R3.jpg

As mentioned earlier the lower fairing does touch the exhaust-

102009Ninja650R4Sm.jpg

I've seen some people trim the fairing, but I don't think it will be necessary and will leave it as is. No vibration and doesn't seem like the can is going to melt the fairing.

Ride On!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Hey Tony, great job with that seat. I've been looking for a guy like that to do 2 new seats for my little cbr150. Any chance of putting up where his shop is?

Cheers.

Hi Yimmy,

The shop is called "Toon Suttisan" and is very close to the Kawasaki Big Bike Showroom on Rama 9- just drive (or walk) towards the Ratchadapisek/Asoke junction and go straight and it's about ~100 meters on the left side. Here's a pretty good map:

ToonSuttisanMap.jpg

Nice guys, not a word of English and I had a very hard time understanding their Thai, but got the job done with a picture of the Bagster seat and a lot of sign language :)

Ride On!

Tony 125.gif

Here's a rack that I made up, using 100bt worth of scrap steel. It's quite small but it was made to measure with the base of a small ruck-sack that I already have. It's designed to go on & off in a minute, 4 wing nuts underneath clamp it to the grab handles, no mods needed, other than hoping the black paint on the grab-handles doesn't scratch over time, hence I took mine back to alloy finish.

Anybody planning on a trip to Malaysia for the Motogp?

Has anyone crossed the Malay border on a MC before with some advice for me?

post-64189-1254451964_thumb.jpg

post-64189-1254451986_thumb.jpg

you are slowly but surely turning that bike into a really ugly piece o'crap. the seat cowl and polished grab rail was bad enough, but the rack? you are joking,right?

you are slowly but surely turning that bike into a really ugly piece o'crap. the seat cowl and polished grab rail was bad enough, but the rack? you are joking,right?

Didn't your momma tell you? If you don't have anything nice to say, shut the hel_l up! :D Perhaps your just jealous cuz yer still riding a crusty old smoker? :)

A couple more pics of the 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 650R with Arrow exhaust-

102009Ninja650R3.jpg

As mentioned earlier the lower fairing does touch the exhaust-

102009Ninja650R4Sm.jpg

I've seen some people trim the fairing, but I don't think it will be necessary and will leave it as is. No vibration and doesn't seem like the can is going to melt the fairing.

Ride On!

Tony

Tony, just get your shifting spanner on the bottom fairing bracket and bend it out a little, thats what i did for my scorpion, you will find it doesn`t need much and the fairing still doesn`t come in to contact with the brake pedal....HD...... LTGTR

Looking at your pic closer it seems that bending out your bracket may not work, the fairing looks really close to the brake pedal already, will turning your can slightly on the clamps give you more room?...Maybe the arrow pipes are still designed for the earlier 650r`s with shorter fairings,,, that logo badge may get marked up over time...HD

Looking at your pic closer it seems that bending out your bracket may not work, the fairing looks really close to the brake pedal already, will turning your can slightly on the clamps give you more room?...Maybe the arrow pipes are still designed for the earlier 650r`s with shorter fairings,,, that logo badge may get marked up over time...HD

Cheers HD,

Really it's fine the way it is. As for the badge getting a little scuffed, well, no big deal, since it's covered by the fairing.

Love the Arrow pipe- so much better than the stock brick! :)

Happy Trails!

Tony

Didn't your momma tell you? If you don't have anything nice to say, shut the hel_l up! :D Perhaps your just jealous cuz yer still riding a crusty old smoker? :)

Its two crusty old smokers. And i have a second bike as well.

Agreed, piece o' crap was a mite strong, and while i quite enjoy my crusty old smoker (begone mental image!!), i do covet your bike, but then you don't spend your time restyling it out of duct tape and bubble gum.

talk about fixing what ain't broke. now if you can forgive me, I'm going to take a hacksaw to the mirrors on my Ferrari and epoxy them to the cat.

ts