2010 Kawasaki Ninja 650r Abs

BigBikeBKK

Do you like naked (ER6n) or faired (Ninja 650R)?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Naked (ER6n) or faired (Ninja 650R)?

• I like to keep my clothes on- gimme a Ninja 650R
    • Naked Baby! I like the ER6n!
    • Naked or faired- I like 'em both!

This poll is closed to new votes

Just learned the hard way that the headlight bulb for the Ninja 650R is NOT the same as the 2009 ER6N/F! Grrr.. :)

I dont understand why they make one low beam and one highbeam, except for costsaving :D As soon as I get some time (and park the bike for a day) I will take them apart. I want 2 low beams and 2 highbeams. I m not going Xenon/HID though.

How is that done, i fancy the same, i dont like having only one side lit when on low beam..? :D

Edited by husskydog

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a guy named NinjaGladiator who rewired his Ninja 250R so that both headlights were on at all times. I believe he had it rigged so that he could still switch between high and low beams too. Will one of you google masters please find his post? Thanks! :)

Beautiful Bike and GREEN is the way to go with Kawasaki! I've never owned a Kawasaki (only Harley, Honda, Suzuki, Ducati and Yamaha) but if I went for a Kawi it would be green. The full fairing is easier to clean than a naked bike. Depending on where the oil filter, etc. are located maintenance could take a bit longer if you have to strip off the fairing but in Thailand that shouldn't be an issue as maintenance is cheap.

Just learned the hard way that the headlight bulb for the Ninja 650R is NOT the same as the 2009 ER6N/F! Grrr.. :)

I dont understand why they make one low beam and one highbeam, except for costsaving :D As soon as I get some time (and park the bike for a day) I will take them apart. I want 2 low beams and 2 highbeams. I m not going Xenon/HID though.

How is that done, i fancy the same, i dont like having only one side lit when on low beam..? :D

dont know yet, but I will do it a rainy day. Probably by replacing H1/H3 with H4 brackets and bulbs, and rewire/relays.Sunshine today so time to ride again :D

In the daytime I presently use only highbeam, which gives me dual headlights.

I have a home made / custom setup with 2 projection bulbs for high beam and 2 lights in the dirtbike front end for low beam. Initially the guy I was building it with tried to set up the 2 projectors down and up with one on for each but I wasnt into that.

Actually I would like to remod it so the dirtbike ones are always on and the added high beam projectors to really weld oncoming drivers retinas when they dont dip.

I like being seen and obvious !!

I have a home made / custom setup with 2 projection bulbs for high beam and 2 lights in the dirtbike front end for low beam. Initially the guy I was building it with tried to set up the 2 projectors down and up with one on for each but I wasnt into that.

Actually I would like to remod it so the dirtbike ones are always on and the added high beam projectors to really weld oncoming drivers retinas when they dont dip.

I like being seen and obvious !!

Actually reconsidered to keep the original lights, and just install blue diodes daytimedriving for beeing seen. More visible and keep one projector for good highbeam flashing. I ll have a look at Big C and Supercheap whats available

Actually reconsidered to keep the original lights, and just install blue diodes daytimedriving for beeing seen. More visible and keep one projector for good highbeam flashing. I ll have a look at Big C and Supercheap whats available

Kata - That was my plan too, but the bulb didn't fit. Take the bulb out and make sure what you buy matches it. It's not the same as the ER6n/f and there seems to be a big plastic adapter on the back of the Ninja 650R bulb which looks non-standard ... so. I'm not sure if an aftermarket bulb will fit properly. Please let us know how you do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning all, Nice to see some familiar names from the old ninja 250r thread (bigbikebbk, Bard) some news for those with a nice ninja 250r and wanting to upgrade, I got 100k TB for mine it was 1yr old and covered 8000km, with no mods worth adding value to. Kawas in UT were not interested in a PX so had to sell privately, but it cleared out in 2weeks, that's not bad esp. all ads were of the free variety. Anyway, returned to the dealers yesturday to place my order (they had the blue and green in stock) so 12 days and counting. Why the black, to be honest I hated the green colour of the 250r, so black was my only option, I then purchased a black/silver helmet and jacket, now all 3 colours are tempting (blue although yummie is my least favourite) so had to have black to go with my gear innit!!

The 8k on the old bike was all long journeys/tours over mountain ranges, a lot of them with the misses/baggage on, so although it took it all in its stride, I question how many loyal years it would have given me.

For the guy who was contemplating the Ducati, the promise of a green book is never a guarantee, you could be waiting 6 months, add to that, it's never really coasha, and at anytime in the future when selling or moving to a different province, the authorities can throw a spanner into the works, rendering the bike worthless, rumor has it that now the big bike taxes are coming down and more dealers/options are available, the powers that be will slowly clear the streets of these (even with green books) grey/illegal bikes, ask anyone who has a grey import with book - what the book really says, it stinks of under-table money, even the eng/chassis numbers are removed and swapped onto the import, how easy is it for them to suddenly start shouting, that's not legal! and you won't have a leg (sorry wheel) to stand on.

For the guy that said the screen isn't tall enough, wind in the face etc., as standard screens come these are somewhere between a typical supersports (low) and an outright tourer (high), now how would you categorize that, oh I know! you could call it a sports-tourer, wait a minute isn't that how Kwaka already categorize it?? You shouldn't be driving without a fullfaced helmet, so how does the wind fly in your face? When you open it up tuck-in, you'll go faster, save fuel and won't have so much pressure on the neck.

Would love to meet with some other riders this winter, now the bikes are getting bigger there's no excuse, whether you're living BKK-Pats-Puks-CM or even Udon, we should be able to meet up. For anyone who'd like to head this way, I have a guesthouse here (www.englishmansretreat.com) I even have bike parking with anchor chains, if you arrive on a ninja orER6n I will give you discount for the night, from here we have many good rides (short or long), phone/email b4 arrival, and I'll make sure I'm free to join you.

There was a guy named NinjaGladiator who rewired his Ninja 250R so that both headlights were on at all times. I believe he had it rigged so that he could still switch between high and low beams too. Will one of you google masters please find his post? Thanks! :)

Hi I missed this in the thread, yes I did rewire my bike for both lights on, the prob is, (and it confused me at first) I thought it was simple, change bulb mounts to handle h/lo beam bulbs (side pins are dif.) then cross wires from left to right and right to left. however the standard hi-beam switch simply switches the hi-beam on (and the lo-beam side just stays as is). When ever a bike is built with a hi/lo bulb the hi-beam switch acts like a rocker switch, ie. the lo-beam turns off as the hi-beam goes on. After knowing this (I'd done it already) I was always worried about the heat on the bulbs with both Hi & lo on at same time. I adviced my mate not to do it and just drive around with the hi-beam on, it is nonsense that it blinds others during the daylight, he was always behind me, it looked cool and never got on my nerves, save the hassel and stick the high beam on (day-time only though!!).

However looking at all brochures/websites, I thought both lights were on on the 650r?? the brghtness looks the same, can someone clarify (might have to cancel my order - NOT!)

Did 999 km service 09/09/2009 at Kwaker Phuket on my Ninja 650R with redplate 99. :D

No computer, so no diagnosis. More like a lube job. Synthetic Veloil SG grade from sealed bottles and original Kwaker oilfilter. Lube chain, made it more quiet, but what a mess with oil on rear tyre and rim :) Workshop is a mess. 830 baht.

Guess maintanence is on my own in Phuket, except for the scheduled oilchanges

Stock was 2 black, 2 green and one blue, some ER6n, 250s and one 1000.

Headlights

Right side low beam is always on. High beam switch is just on/off for left side high beam. Inexpensive and light weight (no relays, minimum of wires).

Riding with high beam is a good day time solution, giving 2 lit projectors, which is what I do presently. However a constant low beam gives only one projector in dark when high beam is off. When high beam is on, human eye is still withdrawn to the nearest lit area, low beam area, giving short sight.

It takes one relay to shut off low beam power when high beam is engaged. One relay for dual high beams. One relay for dual low beams. Some wires, 2,5mm2. 2 dual high/low beam bulbs. Totally less than 0,3 kg. Original bulbs are not dual light purpose, so lets see if these bulbs with high/low are available in Phuket first :)

Edited by katabeachbum

Headlights

Right side low beam is always on. High beam switch is just on/off for left side high beam. Inexpensive and light weight (no relays, minimum of wires).

Riding with high beam is a good day time solution, giving 2 lit projectors, which is what I do presently. However a constant low beam gives only one projector in dark when high beam is off. When high beam is on, human eye is still withdrawn to the nearest lit area, low beam area, giving short sight.

It takes one relay to shut off low beam power when high beam is engaged. One relay for dual high beams. One relay for dual low beams. Some wires, 2,5mm2. 2 dual high/low beam bulbs. Totally less than 0,3 kg. Original bulbs are not dual light purpose, so lets see if these bulbs with high/low are available in Phuket first :)

Maybe i`ll email jim at easternbeaver.com to see if he can come up with something OEM looking, i used his h4 product for my kawasaki 750, to improve the head light output.

It`s a relay kit that takes the supply straight from the battery, it allows me to have both the hi/lo lit at the same time and straight from the battery "wow" what a difference..

I know what we are looking at here is a different issue but he might be able to fix something up..

Take a FULL look at his website, i love the handlebar switch`s, Cable connections etc, oh, and he is in japan so quick delivery...paypal is how i paid and great service..

What i would love is a hi/lo on each side, if at all possible..

Note, i am not connected to him in any way...i just think he puts out top gear...HD

Edited by husskydog

Headlights

Maybe i`ll email jim at easternbeaver.com to see if he can come up with something OEM looking, i used his h4 product for my kawasaki 750, to improve the head light output.

It`s a relay kit that takes the supply straight from the battery, it allows me to have both the hi/lo lit at the same time and straight from the battery "wow" what a difference..

I know what we are looking at here is a different issue but he might be able to fix something up..

Take a FULL look at his website, i love the handlebar switch`s, Cable connections etc, oh, and he is in japan so quick delivery...paypal is how i paid and great service..

Note, i am not connected to him in any way...i just think he puts out top gear...HD

H4 doesnt fit. Has to be same size original, but with dual light as H4 bulb. Available in Europe (Osram), but will start looking here in Phuket tomorrow. Perhaps Piaa.

Of course power has to come straight from battery in a 2,5mm2 cable, controlled by relays. Improves lighbulbvoltage from present 12,7 to 13,8-14,4 Volt. Thats 50 % more light from same light bulb. I dont want to increase lightbulb watt cause of heat in small projectors. Dual low beams and dual high beams and 50% more each projector is another world. :D

Headlights

H4 doesnt fit. Has to be same size original, but with dual light as H4 bulb. Available in Europe (Osram), but will start looking here in Phuket tomorrow. Perhaps Piaa.

Of course power has to come straight from battery in a 2,5mm2 cable, controlled by relays. Improves lighbulbvoltage from present 12,7 to 13,8-14,4 Volt. Thats 50 % more light from same light bulb. I dont want to increase lightbulb watt cause of heat in small projectors. Dual low beams and dual high beams and 50% more each projector is another world. :D

I realise H4 wont fit, h4 is what i have in the old bike, what i was getting at was the cabling connecters relays etc,, it really is quality stuff, ceramic connecters is a big plus as they cope so much better with the heat...do you think with a twin filament bulb in our projectors we will achieve enough offset in the beam projection to get true hi/lo separation, as the projectors are designed for a single bulb, and hi/lo is adjusted soley by the adjusters...i agree totally the improvment i got when feeding straight from the battery makes a huge difference, and yes 2 hi`s and 2 low`s would be so sweet...HD

Headlights

I realise H4 wont fit, h4 is what i have in the old bike, what i was getting at was the cabling connecters relays etc,, it really is quality stuff, ceramic connecters is a big plus as they cope so much better with the heat...do you think with a twin filament bulb in our projectors we will achieve enough offset in the beam projection to get true hi/lo separation, as the projectors are designed for a single bulb, and hi/lo is adjusted soley by the adjusters...i agree totally the improvment i got when feeding straight from the battery makes a huge difference, and yes 2 hi`s and 2 low`s would be so sweet...HD

Yes I think so, cause the projectors are not marked high or low, which means they use same projectors all over the world (left or right side driving) without azymetric low beam. Again, inexpensive. Dual light bulbs have a cap over the low beam to create lowbeampattern

Anyway, sun is shining, I ll go searching lightbulbs today. To bad I havent found a Piaa dealer here in Phuket.

Another solution would be to have HID/Xenon low beam right side, and keep original high beam left side, just improve powersupply for this one. Thats what I had on my TMax.

BTW, do you have a Husky in LOS? I v only seen a couple here. They are very common in my homecountry.

Is there any easy way to adjust the high-beam down toward the road? I tried it last night and it is set way too high.

Just sit on the bike, at night, facing your wall 20 or so feet away use a torch to look behind the fairing while moving your bars left and right and you will see both thumb screw adjusters for hi and low on both sides, they are marked telling you which way to turn them for left or right and up and down aiming....from memory if you want to lower your beams, turn the up/down screws clockwise........... :)

My mate got back from UK Friday, heard I'd put a deposit on the 650r the next day he arrives at my place with the shiny green one straight out of stock. Anyway unlike the dealership he let me take it for a spin, f*k it's hot between the legs (that wasn't meant to sound gay!!) is everybody finding excessive heat on their legs? It's OK if you take them away from the bike a few inches, but you can't ride around like that for long cos it looks stupid, but also using the legs compressed against the tank/frame/fairing is a necessary part of bike riding.

My ride won't b here until a week 2morrow (21st) got a black & silver coming. I'll do some mods then upload pics.

To date Udon Kawas has sold 2 black (not inc. my order), 2 green (inc. my mate's) , and 1 blue, they are also giving away a couple of goodies, crash bungs and tank protector (a very nice one) although I think these were because my mate didn't require a free helmet. Wot other goodies are people being offered?

Any body taking their shiny new rides to CMBW this year?

What is Hua Hin Bike week like, is it an annual event?

Anyone know whether Kawasaki offer financing on the 650? I have a work colleague wanting a big(ger) bike but can't stretch to the full amount.

They are but I'm not sure of the down-payment requirements for a non-Thai. I bet some sort of financing can be done.. maybe 50%...

Who likes Carbon Fiber??? :D

ER6nCFFrontFender.JPG

The CF front fender above and tire hugger / chain guard below will fit both Ninja 650R and ER6n :)

ER6nCFHugger.JPG

CF signal shrouds for the ER6n:

ER6nCFShroudRt.JPG

Tail cleans up nicely with CF tail piece and seat cowl-

ER6nCFTail.JPG

ER6CFSeatCowl.JPG

GetAttachmentCAQG6ARR.JPGGetAttachmentCA8ZG9UB.JPG

I'm really digging this CF tank protector-

ER6CFTankCover.JPG

Finally- some beautiful CF frame covers-

ER6nCFCover.JPG

ER6nCFCover2.JPG

What do you think? You'll be able to find this and more in the ThaiVisa classifieds soon!

Ride On!

Tony

Picked the bike up on Wed. 5 days earlier than they promised (usually the other way round). Did the fast break-in and got the oil&filter changed with just 55km on the clock, but I was surprised how black it was already.

Took a helmet+free Insurance (min.)+Road licence (TAX) so about 2,100bt worth, better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Today I've mostly been...

making a seat cowl using some silver-flux cloth, heavy/firm foam, a piece of plastic and a tin of sticky-sticky.

It was trickier to do than I was expecting, it didn't turn out as nice as I was expecting, but I still prefer it over the standard seat. Yes it only looks (a bit) like a seat cowl really it's still a pillion seat.

Here's one I prepared earlier...

post-64189-1253236413_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the new ride- a whole lot better than the old Ninjette, eh? :)

Wow- homemade seat cowl- that's not something I'd ever want to try cuz I know I'd muck it up but I'm having some made in color matched ABS and Carbon Fiber. I bet the Carbon Fiber would look awesome on your black Ninja 650R-

ER6CFSeatCowl1.JPGER6CFSeatCowl2.JPG

ER6CFSeatCowl3.JPGER6CFSeatCowl4.JPG

Ride On!

Tony