former Deputy Finance Minister Warathep Rattanakorn

20090412_190935_newin2.jpg

former Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives Newin Chidchob

Sorraaut.jpg

former Agriculture Minister Sorra-at Klinprathum

adisai-1.jpg

former Commerce Minister Adisai Photaramik

Verdict on rubber-sapling graft case set for August 17

The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders has scheduled its ruling for August 17 on a corruption case involving the Thaksin Shinawatra Cabinet's project to purchase 90 million rubber saplings worth 1.4 Billion Baht.

National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) attorney Jetsada Anujaree said the court had completed its interrogation of witnesses on June 16 and had ordered the plaintiff and the defendants to submit closing statements by yesterday before the court's verdict is handed down next Monday at 2pm.

The NACC, as the plaintiff, submitted its 45-page closing statement last Monday.

Jetsada said he hoped the case - about corruption at the policy-making level - would set a standard in anti-corruption investigation.

Laws and regulations had been amended in favour of certain interest groups to commit bidding collusion.

Today's corruption scene was different from the past, he said, when politicians accepting kickbacks from bidders could be investigated more easily by checking their connections.

A source from the defendants said their lawyers had also submitted their closing statements, insisting that there were no irregularities in the project and they had carried out their duty without intention to corrupt.

Defendants include the former deputy agriculture minister, Newin Chidchob, who initiated the project.

The corruption case was filed by the now-defunct Assets Scrutiny Committee against cabinet ministers and private companies involved in a project of the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives, under the Thaksin-led government, to acquire 90 million rubber saplings worth 1.4 Billion Baht.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-12

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hopefully that sleazy backstabber NEWIN is jailed !

I would hope that you hope that any and all that are convicted are jailed.

A total of 44 former Thaksin Cabinet members of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party and government officials were charged in the case.
Edited by sriracha john

only if the convictions are just .... which of course, given this political climate, I am sure they will be :):D

Edited by mc2

only if the convictions are just .... which of course, given this political climate, I am sure they will be :):D

I also hope their good friend "Taksin" join them in the jail soon. Or maybe also flee and live with their leader “Taksin” abroad

Perhaps some anonymous overseas believer-in-justice might offer the judges a "lunchbox", to ensure that justice will be served, equally and fairly to all ? :D

there were no irregularities in the project and they had carried out their duty without intention to corrupt.

good to hear you think they had no ill intent and there were no irregularities in the project

Where are on Earth did you get the notion that I personally thought that? :)

That's what their lawyers, of which I am not one, said in the OP's news article.

Are you capable of reading information that is contained in news articles and separating that from a member's unstated opinion?

Edited by sriracha john

Well of course anything which looks negative against your darling therefore means it's the political fault of the climate / the fault of the system, etc.

You claim to be a highly educated man, it shocks me that you can blatantly support such a scheming manipulating nasty corrupt man who is only interested in himself. He's almost cut himself off from his family just to pursue his own very very self selfish ends.

How can you ignore all the corruption, abuse of power and the human rights abuses of this man. I say again, you claim to be a highly educated man, surely you can see that upholding the rule of law, meaning that everybody, without exception, must be subject to the law is paramount to building a civil society.

You say you have a masters degree in education, If you are teaching then I pray that your not teaching my kids. I want my kids to grow up knowing what is right and what is wrong and why! My son is in university right now and he's already experienced the disgraceful situation whereby one of his lecturers told the students 'It's good to align yourself with someone who can get their fingers into the money'. His class also threatened by the same lecturer that if she discovered any student was supporting the PAD they would fail at end of term exams.

In other words I want my kids to understand the concept of values and the responsibility of all citizens to respect the law, and also to demand that all citizens, regardless of family or political connections, are subject to and punished equally under the law.

Well of course anything which looks negative against your darling therefore means it's the political fault of the climate / the fault of the system, etc.

You claim to be a highly educated man, it shocks me that you can blatantly support such a scheming manipulating nasty corrupt man who is only interested in himself. He's almost cut himself off from his family just to pursue his own very very self selfish ends.

How can you ignore all the corruption, abuse of power and the human rights abuses of this man. I say again, you claim to be a highly educated man, surely you can see that upholding the rule of law, meaning that everybody, without exception, must be subject to the law is paramount to building a civil society.

You say you have a masters degree in education, If you are teaching then I pray that your not teaching my kids. I want my kids to grow up knowing what is right and what is wrong and why! My son is in university right now and he's already experienced the disgraceful situation whereby one of his lecturers told the students 'It's good to align yourself with someone who can get their fingers into the money'. His class also threatened by the same lecturer that if she discovered any student was supporting the PAD they would fail at end of term exams.

In other words I want my kids to understand the concept of values and the responsibility of all citizens to respect the law, and also to demand that all citizens, regardless of family or political connections, are subject to and punished equally under the law.

Sounds normal for a Thaksin supporter - threats and then violence if the threats don't work.

Hope you have informed the President of the university re the "red" teacher and the threats.

you are always harping on about education, and you call yourself "scorecard". did your teachers fail you at school and now you resent academics ?

firstly I don't believe everything I read on the internet. Assuming your story is true regarding the teacher, this is unacceptable and I hope you have made a complain to the administration.

secondly thaksin is not my 'darling'. i have already criticised him on a number of issues in the past, but he is certainly not the monster some of you make him out to be.

Edited by mc2

Thaivisa is for people to ask questions and exchange ideas and opinions. A lot of debate is going on about the current political situation. How ever, it seems that the political debate for a large part turns into the same discussion, without discussing the actual news. Having the same discusion over and over again is disrupting the real discussion of the news. We therefor ask that members stick to the topic being discussed and will delete any posts that are off topic or which contents are already elswhere discussed. Our intention is to make the topics more interesting to everyone and lent an ear to different opinions regarding the topic being discussed.

In this regard we would like to remind people that giving an opinion is allowed, but we don't allow lobbying. When posting one gives his personal view, not that of any group.

To further improve the quality of the ongoing political debate we ask members to abide by the following rules when posting:

- discuss the topic, not the person who posted.

- respect each others point of views

- post facts, not rumours and try to substantiate the facts that you present

A total of 44 former Thaksin Cabinet members of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party and government officials were charged in the case.

Of course if Newin goes and the others mostly go to; He proposed it, but they all did it.

It is a damning indictment fo the WHOLE THAKSIN way of running the government.

So your ~Godhead leader gets tarnished and varnished with the same brush. His crew.

But of course you think he is the ONLY one that can 'Fix The Country' now. All pla maw.

If the majority of Thaksin's cabinet goes to jail, it paints Thaksin, who was known for not allowing

second guessing or disputing of his decisions... top down control...

it shows HIS team and operational control of the country was grandly flawed,

enough to allow conviction for policy corruption that CLEARLY hurt the little guys,

the rubber farmers across the WHOLE NATION.

"The buck stops at the top" meaning the boss is ultimately responsible, or is it 'only the BIG BUCKS stop at the top'.

Interestingly you are only bent at Newin for betraying Thaksin, but not at all the OTHER crew of professional back stabbers

in this cabinet? For Newin to join Thaksin he back stabbed someone else to leave them. Normal Thai politics; Ref. Snoh. etc al.

Thaksin back stabbed several, maybe dozens when he formed TRT.

He has a history of backstabbing friends and foes for fun and profit, position and revenge over 20+ years..

But you focus on Newin, who's 'crime in your eyes' is being in a position to

SHIFT THE BALANCE OF POWER away from your Godhead Leader.

Who incidentally was banned at the time, and convicted, and on the run on a foreign land

and not even allowed to be in politics, but you're upset because this guy was left by Newin.

You are upset because one guy acted true to historical form

and stopped working for another, who is not even allowed to work in this business.

Bent is as bent does, but there is little rational to explain your position, except

a reddened, emotional, attachment to a pseudo God Head figure in a cult setting.

All this fact about the case, and you can only focus on Newin giving Thaksin the public dope slap.

I'll leave the final expletive and adjectives to others to add.

Last posted without seeing Mario's post....

But what of discussing the POSITION espoused by the poster?

By necessity that becomes a personnel element in the discussion,

but does not lack relevancy to the discussion.

Edited by animatic

It is a damning indictment fo the WHOLE THAKSIN way of running the government.

So your ~Godhead leader gets tarnished and varnished with the same brush. His crew.

But of course you think he is the ONLY one that can 'Fix The Country' now. All pla maw.

If the majority of Thaksin's cabinet goes to jail, it paints Thaksin, who was known for not allowing

second guessing or disputing of his decisions... top down control...

About time, but we'll see who is all just talk and does the backstabbing...

Honor, dignity, ethics, honesty, statemansship... oh'yeah, old fashioned things of the past",

words buried in the depth of dictionaries without any meaning.. are they?

There is plenty more to come, keep 'em comin' please!

Last posted without seeing Mario's post....

But what of discussing the POSITION espoused by the poster?

By necessity that becomes a personnel element in the discussion,

but does not lack relevancy to the discussion.

The position of the poster can be discussed, as long as it stays within the topic of the thread and is done with respect to each other. Our main concern is that we see the same discussion being held over and over again, which we want to prevent. We don't want to have a discussion where both sides accuse the other side of being tugs.

If your kid has a modicum of intelligence with an awareness of the outside world, he will be fine. The lessons that the lecturer has taught in these two examples are "cheap" lessons at the university level; better that he discover them *there* than in the world outside academia, where the lessons can be much more expensive.

Your desire for your children to understand these values will be sorely tested in LoS, until such time as the structure of society adopts those same values.

you are always harping on about education, and you call yourself "scorecard". did your teachers fail you at school and now you resent academics ?

firstly I don't believe everything I read on the internet. Assuming your story is true regarding the teacher, this is unacceptable and I hope you have made a complain to the administration.

secondly thaksin is not my 'darling'. i have already criticised him on a number of issues in the past, but he is certainly not the monster some of you make him out to be.

QUOTE: "....Complaint to the administration...". Surely your not serious, teachers can do no wrong in this county.

-QUOTE: ....he is certainly not the monster some of you make him out to be..." What else would you call someone who supervised the summary killing of over 2,500 other Thais? Their human rights were trampled on by the 'monster' with no access to justice whatever. Can you just imagine how loudly he would scream if this was done to one of his children? The term 'monster' is quite apt.

Verdict on rubber-sapling graft case set for August 17

The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders has scheduled its ruling for August 17 on a corruption case involving the Thaksin Shinawatra Cabinet's project to purchase 90 million rubber saplings worth 1.4 Billion Baht.

August 17 is also the same day as the Red Shirts said they would turn in their Royal Pardon petition.....

PM: Proceedings on Alleged Corruption in Rubber-tree Project Not Shaken by Red-shirt Movement

The Prime Minister has given assurances that Criminal Court proceedings in the alleged corruption case of the rubber-tree project, will not be disrupted by the the red-shirt group's Royal Pardon campaign for former Prime Minister Thaksin.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said that he is convinced that the campaign for a Royal Pardon for convicted former Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, by the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship, or DAAD, will definitely have no effect on the Criminal Court's proceedings in the alleged corruption case especially the rubber-tree plantation project that involves Bhum Jai Thai Party mentor, Newin Chidchob .

Abhisit added that he could not see any connection between the two events and insists that the Court is deliberating the case based on evidence.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2009-08-12

QUOTE: "....Complaint to the administration...". Surely your not serious, teachers can do no wrong in this county.

grow a pair , son.

you can always change education providers if all else fails.

moaning on an anonymous internet forum wont solve anything.

grow a pair , son.

you can always change education providers if all else fails.

moaning on an anonymous internet forum wont solve anything.

Guess many would agree with your sentiments regarding moaning on an anonymous internet forum, maybe practicing what you preach would be a good start.