Foreigners Taking Over Land In North Thailand, Claims Farmers' Group

george

My question is this, How does the person who wrote this article and the Thai Government suppose Farangs are to care for their wives, children and extended families, if we are unable to buy homes and land to provide for them? Thailand is good about advertising to the Farang about how nice it is to retire there with a Thai wife, but don't stay or buy land, just bring or send money and spend it here. Thai women like living in Thailand and do nt want to move, but I for one will quickly divorce if these two things happen. 1.) not allowed to provide home and land for my family, 2.) my wife does not get a visa to join me in my home country. I will not be one to send money freely and only get to be with my wife 15 - 30 days a year.

The first step anybody should make is get a Visa for their Wife. Nobody knows what the future holds for Foreigners in LOS but I don't see a sunny outlook.

Get your Wife a visa, sell up and move somewhere where both of you have equal opportunities. :)

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let's say the government turns all that hotel and resort land back to the rice farmers, who are reportedly being paid for rent. Do you suppose there would be complaints from the thousands of Thai who are employed by all those resorts in northern Thailand? And what about all the vendors (and farmers) who earn livings selling food, supplies and services to those resorts? What about all the shop keepers and restaurant owners who sell to all the guests? And what about the government who is taking billions in tax revenue?

So shut down all those hotels and resorts, nationalise all the land, give it back to the farmers, and let them grow rice and crops to try and compete with the tonnes of cheap, pesticide-laden Chinese produce coming down the Mekhong, which of course isn't taxed under the China-Thailand free trade agreement that was pushed through by Thaksin in 2003. That would certainly be a great leap forward for the economy and for the general public there as well, wouldn't it?

http://www.bilaterals.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=26

Edited by bubba

Thailand is a racist Nation always been, they want foreigners to leave money here and go away.

Historically in Thailand they start with gray market stuff, big bikes, yacht, boats, import cars etc.

Then they start chasing land, owned by Thai wife illegal unless she can prove all the money came from her own funding etc. Business owning land for foreigners etc. They reclaim all that.

Then clamp down on work permits and more visa shit again.

Funny part is there is less tourists to milk cash from now than in 49 years of history, Thailand is hardest hit together with South Africa in Expats moving away the last year. Virtually no foreign investment in new factories and businesses.

So for the remaining lot of us expect more shit hitting the fan.

The disturbing part is, if you are a Thai national going to a Western nation you may buy land, business ownership outright and all the benefits the Nation has to offer, here no way.

Also due to the skin colour of westerners they get hit hardest every time, however the foreigners they have problems with taking over, take jobs, land etc. is and has always been majority Asians. 90% of the Westerners follow the rules here, and how many Western expats live here? So we're talking about a very small number of people pushing the envelope.

They estimate 70% of all land is owned by Chinese, over 250,000,- Illegal Burmese workers, over 200,000,- Illegal Cambodian workers, Around a 100,000,- Laotians. Very high rate of Indians business takeovers and immigration. But every time they aim at foreigners they aim at falang who there are perhaps a few thousand who do not follow the rules. Many falangs who live here are retired or work offhsore, pulling in a steady stream of foreign currency into the country and securing a lot of jobs here. Another big group is business investors, or management for foreign corporations in BOI zones, they keep loads of Thai's employed, pull in currency needed and contribute to the society and get nothing back for it. Other runs small export outlets and so on... Are there falangs who is running around breaking laws yes there is, but is it worth chasing all the contributing people away for the sake of a few?

Obviously so according to the way they do things. So the rank of falangs will thin out more, they will continue to cling by pegging the Baht to the dollar. By this they prove how good it goes, all I see is a complete new total economical crash coming up in Thailand, and as long as the news and government can blame the falangs and swine flu the people are duped. Keep the people worried and they cling to the government for support... Swine flu where did all the coloured shirts go? Dangers with foreigners, keep rolling the news and people don't complain simple as that.

One day the house of cards falls, and I bet foreigners will be blamed yet again...

Quote: Thailand is a racist Nation always been, they want foreigners to leave money here and go away.

Wrong, it is exactly the opposite and many ex pats here, just don’t seem to get the picture.

Thailand is not a racist nation, but rather it is not a multi racial or multi cultural society. There is a difference between racism and culturalism.

Also Thailand does want foreigners to spend and invest their money here, but not necessarily for them to go away.

For example, all my income is obtained from the UK in the form of a pension, brought over to Thailand and spent here. Plus I have a substantial amount of savings from the UK, invested in Thailand with Thai banks. Meaning that besides any interest that I pay tax on from my bank accounts investments here, I have not even taken 1 baht from Thailand, but rather I am using money here solely obtained from abroad.

The Thais are my hosts and permit me to stay in exchange that I give something back, so everyone’s happy all round.

Over step the mark and start over stepping the boundaries, than that is going to cause problems which will decrease tolerance levels the Thais have towards Europeans, because they view the situation as rich Westerners taking advantage of a third world nation whether this is fact or not.

I sincerely hope that Farangs are never given equal status here and that Western influences will remain limited so as not to destroy the uniqueness of Thai culture.

There are too many behind the scenes Farang illegal business and landowners who are using Thais as fronts for their activities, this is common knowledge.

These morons who continue to disregard the Immigration, land & property ownership and prohibited professions laws are not doing themselves or people like myself and many other Farang ex pats here who are abiding by the laws, any favours, the results of which will only create more restrictions and tightening up of the Immigration laws for all of us.

Edited by sassienie

Strap that Plow to my Chair and I'll go plow me a few Field.

My Father-in-law would love me to take his Rice Fields and do something with them.

Farmers are treated the same , the world over , and he see's any new ideas and some Money ( WHICH IS SPENT IN THAILAND ) that will change his back breaking , money losing life around as a benefit in comparision to getting taken on Tomatoes , then Chili's , Rice and whatever he plants..

Jealousy of the worst kind.

Can't keep their women happy and THEY keep complaining about how

the Farang's wife's farm is doing better than ours yada yada da da.

So take it out on those who do know how to make their businesses work.

And best way to run them off is take their land.. in theory.

Its getting more and more ridiculous day by day. Sometimes one can get the feeling Thaipeople want lay down and wait for the fried birds falling barbequed

in their open mouthes. Never realised a whole country jealous like they are but lazy as hel_l.

BAD BAD foreigners which mostly think BEFORE they do something.

The worldchampions in copy are ridiculous, always wait for somebody who give them presents....and if not running to the government complaining.... :)

Cry me a river. A Thai woman dose not suddenly loose her citizenship when she marries a non national. Haters just need to suck it up and find another scapegoat for their own inadequacies and financial problems.

Where I have lived for 18 years,farmers sell their land in order to pay for a lavish party when a son "get mellid" or "goes to Buddha".Or they want to buy a new car to keep inside the house (no money for fuel) etc. Or,they borrow the money and later,when they can´t repay the loan,complain to the government and want its help to bail them out!! Make of it what you want,but that´s the truth in many,many cases..

I have to agree. To me it just seems so ridiculous.

Son becomes a monk - borrow money that takes 3 to 5 years to pay back

Son gets married - borrow money that takes 3 to 5 years to pay back

Wife dies - borrow money that takes 3 to 5 years to pay back

Husband dies - borrow money that takes 3 to 5 years to pay back

Mother dies - borrow money that takes 3 to 5 years to pay back or sell parents land to pay for funeral

Father dies - borrow money that takes 3 to 5 years to pay back or sell parents land to pay for funeral

If by some strange quirk, you actually manage to build a new house, have a party and borrow money that takes 3 to 5 years to pay back to pay for it.

Of course, as you rightly say, often land is sold to pay for these parties.

It's not clear what this article is referring to. I don't think that it can be the odd couple of rai owned by the wife of a foreigner.

If a Thai is renting his farmland to a foreigner that is sending profits out of Thailand, then they should be asking the question why?????

It should be fairly obvious that if a landowner can earn more from the land by renting it out than by working it, then there is something wrong with his methods. How can a foreigner manage to make a profit while paying rent?

The laws in Thailand do not encourage healthy competition. Healthy competition forces you to become more competitive and efficient.

However, in some cases they do have a point. I do know of a farang who "invested" life savings in starting a pig farm. Paid too much for everything and operated at a loss. This was unhealthy competition for the Thai neighbours. It's hard to compete with someone who is operating at a loss! Of course things returned to normal when the Farang's life savings had all gone. :)

There really seems to be a lot of anti-foreign sentiment lately. More than usual, that's for sure.

It's easy to blame foreigners for your country's woes. It is happening no less in the UK. Apparently, according to the uneducated masses (tabloid readers), immigrants are to blame for most of the problems in the UK. Short-sighted, narrow-minded f***-wits.....whatever country they're in.

No where in the article can I find the word farang. Why have so many posters assumed the foreigners referred to are Westerners, or if you prefer, "farangs?"

I haven't read the article but I assume you are correct.

It may be that the writer doesn't want to offend the "foreigners" in question by not being more specific.

My (real) landlord is Chinese, born and raised in China.

Doesn't even speak Thai well yet.

Recently she's often on the phone with other relatives in China who want to buy more real estate in the LOS in the 30M baht range.

Other local family members are Chinese-Thais, the front people.

The whole thing looks more like a corporation (which is what it is) than a family.

Do you think those people could be targeted in any govt. land grab campaign?

Neither do I.

DB

So the land is owned by Thai women who have farang husbands. What's the problem there?

The land is rented to other Thais who farm it. Whats the problem there?

The land owner is actually making a profit. What's the problem there?

Obviously just anti-foreigner nonsense from uncompetitive farmers who want the taxpayers to give them even more support so they can continue to be unsuccessful farmers.

I take it the solution is to ban the apparant foreign farmers by using the Mugabwe land reclamation programme.

That can be the only action that this person could be wanting.

Absolute insanity

There are many differences between the Mugabwe sitiation and the Thai situation. I won't waste my time to write a lengthy list for you. And that can't be the only option the writer could want. You lack critical and logical thinking skills. Maybe you should think rationally before you post.

There really seems to be a lot of anti-foreign sentiment lately. More than usual, that's for sure.

They (many Thais) dislike expats with a passion.

Many expats come with a bit of dosh. Buy up (perhaps I should say are taken in by Thai ladies) grab some of the better looking ones leaving the Thai males who are too lazy to get out of bed in the morning with nothing other than their right hand (or left hand if that is the case)

Who is being exploited here ?? The Thai who would not be able to organise a p1ss up in a brewery or the expat who sets up a Thai woman (and it is a well known fact that Thai woman have the brains) are better off, than being with some drunken Thai male drinkink village made whisky drinking himself to death while with the financial assistance (and the business acumen) of the expat is now able to run a successful farm.

I know of several cases where these Thai women are now running successful fish farms and raising hogs whilst others in the village are selling noodles at the local market.

So the Thais resent the expat man.

But you must also remember that a Thai (and anyone else) can go and buy land in any of the worlds "developed" countries, whilst here in Thailand if an expat wants to go look at a baby panda they have to pay 3, 4 or 5 times the prices that the Thai.

Who is being exploited here.

I (through my wife) have purchased land in Chinag Mai, Chiang Rai, and Ubon Ratchatani.

We have built several houses, developed fish farms, and using a lot of land to plant rice and trees for paper production.

In the process we have provided employment to more than 200 Thais, NO FOREIGNERS!. When house building takes place the towns that we build in, boom by the sudden influx of cash and local hiring of labor. The Thais party, and drink A LOT! They are quie happy and always listen out for where our next investment will be taking place and place their job hiring request to us.

In Lamphun the sitation is true. We own nearly all the Internet Cafes (as well as Chiang mai), a big piece of land, built a very big house and most of my neighbours are Australians, Belgians and Italians. Since we have developed in the area, land prices have sky rocketed. In 1997 we could buy a single Rai for next to nothing! Now the land (especially near foreign houses) is going for up to half a million baht per rai! We get Thais coming everyday asking us if we want to buy their land for a prime price! AND yes they also ask if they can have the cash and rent th eland back from us to carry on their farming activities. In Lumphun, we are being offered prime real estate which we buy (some plots over 20 million) and rent back to them to carry on their mini marts etc...

In Chiang Rai, we have built a beautiful house for my wifes parents, provided employment for the whole town for 6 months while building and have transformes a once ugly town into a beautiful village as everyone renovated their houses from th emoney they earned from us AND the materials they were stealing from us while building...... its funny how most houses in the otwn have turned out to be the same color as my in laws!

What is wrong with that... they need the money and the land is technically is a "Thai" name!

We, foreigners run the biggest investment risk, as we could be booted out any time! AND land taken away for our spouses!

The irony is that we cannot sell these plots back to Thais... they just wont pay or can't pay what we did!...I gues they will just forcefully take them back and thank us for the investments!

Khop Khun Karp! Ting Tong Falang!

P.S. Managed to sell one piece of land with house in Rangsit, bought it for 4 million spent another 2 million to finish it off (as the Thai owner could not) and sold it to a nice German guy with a Thai wife for a profit! In the process the Thais were happy while working therebuilding and land scaping!!!!!

Edited by jboras

I think that they're looking for an excuse to reinstate the law that was on the books a decade or two ago. At that time women who married foreigners had no right to buy land, and had no claim on family land. We'll see!

:)

I think there may be an agenda here that needs addressing. If the farang businessmen are exporting enormous quantities of agricultural produce at unfair prices then I agree it should be stopped. I read somewhere that middle eastern countries are ensuring future food supplies by taking over vast tracts of farmland in foreign countries. I firmly believe that countries should be able to benefit from work. So I am against hotel and food chains bringing in all goods and not buying locally and then through some means exporting the profits again. It sounds to me as though the profits from the farms are being exported and presumably as low priced goods, as why else would the Thais object ( ok silly question) If this is the case then its up to the government to ensure that all exported produce is subject to controls. This would stop the leak of wealth.

Thailand is a racist Nation always been, they want foreigners to leave money here and go away.

Historically in Thailand they start with gray market stuff, big bikes, yacht, boats, import cars etc.

Then they start chasing land, owned by Thai wife illegal unless she can prove all the money came from her own funding etc. Business owning land for foreigners etc. They reclaim all that.

Then clamp down on work permits and more visa shit again.

Funny part is there is less tourists to milk cash from now than in 49 years of history, Thailand is hardest hit together with South Africa in Expats moving away the last year. Virtually no foreign investment in new factories and businesses.

So for the remaining lot of us expect more shit hitting the fan.

The disturbing part is, if you are a Thai national going to a Western nation you may buy land, business ownership outright and all the benefits the Nation has to offer, here no way.

Also due to the skin colour of westerners they get hit hardest every time, however the foreigners they have problems with taking over, take jobs, land etc. is and has always been majority Asians. 90% of the Westerners follow the rules here, and how many Western expats live here? So we're talking about a very small number of people pushing the envelope.

They estimate 70% of all land is owned by Chinese, over 250,000,- Illegal Burmese workers, over 200,000,- Illegal Cambodian workers, Around a 100,000,- Laotians. Very high rate of Indians business takeovers and immigration. But every time they aim at foreigners they aim at falang who there are perhaps a few thousand who do not follow the rules. Many falangs who live here are retired or work offhsore, pulling in a steady stream of foreign currency into the country and securing a lot of jobs here. Another big group is business investors, or management for foreign corporations in BOI zones, they keep loads of Thai's employed, pull in currency needed and contribute to the society and get nothing back for it. Other runs small export outlets and so on... Are there falangs who is running around breaking laws yes there is, but is it worth chasing all the contributing people away for the sake of a few?

Obviously so according to the way they do things. So the rank of falangs will thin out more, they will continue to cling by pegging the Baht to the dollar. By this they prove how good it goes, all I see is a complete new total economical crash coming up in Thailand, and as long as the news and government can blame the falangs and swine flu the people are duped. Keep the people worried and they cling to the government for support... Swine flu where did all the coloured shirts go? Dangers with foreigners, keep rolling the news and people don't complain simple as that.

One day the house of cards falls, and I bet foreigners will be blamed yet again...

Quote: Thailand is a racist Nation always been, they want foreigners to leave money here and go away.

Wrong, it is exactly the opposite and many ex pats here, just don't seem to get the picture.

Thailand is not a racist nation, but rather it is not a multi racial or multi cultural society. There is a difference between racism and culturalism.

Also Thailand does want foreigners to spend and invest their money here, but not necessarily for them to go away.

For example, all my income is obtained from the UK in the form of a pension, brought over to Thailand and spent here. Plus I have a substantial amount of savings from the UK, invested in Thailand with Thai banks. Meaning that besides any interest that I pay tax on from my bank accounts investments here, I have not even taken 1 baht from Thailand, but rather I am using money here solely obtained from abroad.

The Thais are my hosts and permit me to stay in exchange that I give something back, so everyone's happy all round.

Over step the mark and start over stepping the boundaries, than that is going to cause problems which will decrease tolerance levels the Thais have towards Europeans, because they view the situation as rich Westerners taking advantage of a third world nation whether this is fact or not.

I sincerely hope that Farangs are never given equal status here and that Western influences will remain limited so as not to destroy the uniqueness of Thai culture.

There are too many behind the scenes Farang illegal business and landowners who are using Thais as fronts for their activities, this is common knowledge.

These morons who continue to disregard the Immigration, land & property ownership and prohibited professions laws are not doing themselves or people like myself and many other Farang ex pats here who are abiding by the laws, any favours, the results of which will only create more restrictions and tightening up of the Immigration laws for all of us.

Thank you.

Finally...a rational post instead of all the other knee jerk (poor me...the falang) posts.

Having travelled around SE Asia for many years, I really no longer like LOS much because the culture has been changed by decades of tourists (mainly of Europeans decent), especially in BKK and the "tourist areas". Greed has taken over. I dont' experience the greed and western influence much in the neighboring countries. It is a peaceful and pleasant feeling... unlike much of LOS. I hope it doesn't happen to the neighboring countries soon, which are still have much of their old culture. However, I do see the greed in the Chinese communities throughout SE Asia. That is why the Chinese are called the Jews of Asia by other Asians and disliked by many Asians...especially in Indonesia. Most of the Chinese take from the local communities and give nothing in return, are exclusive, not friendly, etc. They are dispised for good reason.

If falangs in LOS are whinning about not being able to own farm and hotel land, etc., they should get the f%# out and go home where they can own land. :D:)

That way they will be happier. Correct? :D

Hmmm, when I lived in a rice-farming village near Chiang Mai in the mid-80s, the peasants used to complain about the foreigners buying up land, and cheating them in the market place. They meant Bangkok Chinese.

If the government permits the Chinese to buy land in the north, as the Chinese do in Burma, then yes a lot of land will move from Thai to foreign hands. Northern Burma is said to be a like a Chinese colony now. Look at the investment China is proposing to put into Thailand and Laos, and China is, or has, sent Mandarin volunteer teachers to provide free language lessons to the Thais and one would be almost led to think that China has a plan for Thailand and Laos.

Jealousy of the worst kind.

Can't keep their women happy and THEY keep complaining about how

the Farang's wife's farm is doing better than ours yada yada da da.

So take it out on those who do know how to make their businesses work.

And best way to run them off is take their land.. in theory.

Except the land no doubt is owned by the wives lock stock and barrel.

The husbands just consult and likely have a totally different job,

and INVEST in the wife's business to make HER more productive.

Odd... three times in a week or so Lao Po and I agree...

Must be the eclipse! :)

Where I live in Kalasin there are poor farmers who cannot afford to cultivate their land and are pleased to rent this land for 1/2 the crop. Others spend 12,000Baht to grow rice and because they cannot afford to hold the crop and wait for a better price sell for 8,000. The real guilty people with these poor rice farmers are the speculators who buy the rice cheap and then sell when the price is better. I don't know who these people are but the government have millions of tons in store waiting for a good price and recently cancelled an auction because the winning bid wasn't high enough for them.

which group of foreigners are they talking about?
No where in the article can I find the word farang. Why have so many posters assumed the foreigners referred to are Westerners, or if you prefer, "farangs?"

Correct, they are referring to Chinese, mainly from Yunnan.

I (through my wife) have purchased land in Chinag Mai, Chiang Rai, and Ubon Ratchatani.

We have built several houses, developed fish farms, and using a lot of land to plant rice and trees for paper production.

In the process we have provided employment to more than 200 Thais, NO FOREIGNERS!. When house building takes place the towns that we build in, boom by the sudden influx of cash and local hiring of labor. The Thais party, and drink A LOT! They are quie happy and always listen out for where our next investment will be taking place and place their job hiring request to us.

In Lamphun the sitation is true. We own nearly all the Internet Cafes (as well as Chiang mai), a big piece of land, built a very big house and most of my neighbours are Australians, Belgians and Italians. Since we have developed in the area, land prices have sky rocketed. In 1997 we could buy a single Rai for next to nothing! Now the land (especially near foreign houses) is going for up to half a million baht per rai! We get Thais coming everyday asking us if we want to buy their land for a prime price! AND yes they also ask if they can have the cash and rent th eland back from us to carry on their farming activities. In Lumphun, we are being offered prime real estate which we buy (some plots over 20 million) and rent back to them to carry on their mini marts etc...

In Chiang Rai, we have built a beautiful house for my wifes parents, provided employment for the whole town for 6 months while building and have transformes a once ugly town into a beautiful village as everyone renovated their houses from th emoney they earned from us AND the materials they were stealing from us while building...... its funny how most houses in the otwn have turned out to be the same color as my in laws!

What is wrong with that... they need the money and the land is technically is a "Thai" name!

We, foreigners run the biggest investment risk, as we could be booted out any time! AND land taken away for our spouses!

The irony is that we cannot sell these plots back to Thais... they just wont pay or can't pay what we did!...I gues they will just forcefully take them back and thank us for the investments!

Khop Khun Karp! Ting Tong Falang!

P.S. Managed to sell one piece of land with house in Rangsit, bought it for 4 million spent another 2 million to finish it off (as the Thai owner could not) and sold it to a nice German guy with a Thai wife for a profit! In the process the Thais were happy while working therebuilding and land scaping!!!!!

You are ruining Thailand with your DISGUSTING cultural influence. SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!! :)

In Chiang Rai, chief of a palm oil cooperative Inkham Namwong claimed that around 70 per cent of farmland and plantation in the province had been rented to foreigners.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-12

70 percent of farmland in Chang Rai.. haha.. Yeah in your wildest dreams!

If it was true though I guess a number like this would say much more about what a thai farmers really wants and also what they dont want to work with.

And we all know that hotels and resorts are built on prime farming land!

And if farmers are renting land, and I mean IF, then that must be with the consent of the farmer right? I'm sure we would have heard by now if poor old Somchai was being coerced by nasty farang into leasing out his land.

Foreigners benefiting from government handouts and assistance programmes.....AS IF!!!

Foreigners exploiting Thai soil, very emotive language there, I wonder who they vote for?

And the poor old farmers have to encroach on forest land because they were cheated in some way to rent out their own land to the nasty farang.

Xenophobic racist ranting at it's worst.

As many people have stated, xenophobia is rising in Thailand. We can expect more as the Thailand-Titanic continues to fill up with water due to very bad decision-making. The govt. is already using those "terrible Cambodians" as a diversion.........we can expect them to start replacing that mantra with "those terrible farangs."

It is odd.......any foreigner's wife is using his money.......the money is going to a Thai who is renting the land..........more money is going to Thai workers who are working the land for the foreigner's wife......more money goes to receiving/shipping agents (also Thai).......etc.

Thais win..........part of me wishes they would just come out and say: ALL FOREIGNERS LEAVE NOW!

We could then take all of our money and spend it in neighboring countries.

Those foreigners won't be around anymore after 2, 3 or 4 decades (maximum) and the land will be in Thai hands again (which in fact it is already now).

Fuzz....

LaoPo

This was also what I thought.

If it was true it would also involve many luk krung with a much stronger economy after their parent past away. Also being able to modernise the farming to something really worth operating if their parents already didnt do it.

Sigh......just more 'deflection' on apar with a childs cry: "Not my fault, Mommy.....Johnny did it!"

Not really newsworthy, should join other like stories in the Funnies of the BKK Post.

rgdz,

Brewsta

Edited by Brewsta

Thailand is good about advertising to the Farang about how nice it is to retire there with a Thai wife, but don't stay or buy land, just bring or send money and spend it here.

I haven't seen any Thai government sponsored retirement planning for expats. Malaysia has but not Thailand. I think the advertising you refer to is more likely from opportunist FOREIGN owned or managed realtors, hoping that the newbie retiree's realization that LOS is a varnished turd doesn't happen until after the final payment has cleared.

Thai women like living in Thailand and do nt want to move, but I for one will quickly divorce if these two things happen. 1.) not allowed to provide home and land for my family, 2.) my wife does not get a visa to join me in my home country. I will not be one to send money freely and only get to be with my wife 15 - 30 days a year.

Well 1.) isn't going to happen, ever and 2.) is at the whim of your country's immigration policy.

If they are as anal and arcane as the UK, then I can hook you up with a pretty decent divorce lawyer.

More than 2,000,000 Thai have legally immigrated to the United States, where they own land, work and raise families. Net of immigrants to Thailand in 2008 zero. At times being a farang in Thailand seems just one step above a criminal in the pubic view. Thai will remain poor if they avoid the global economy. China’s rise in the past ten years by joining the global economy while Thailand falls backwards.

Not to hard to figure out. The economy is depressed and the ruling elite are feeling the heat so its time for diversionary tactics. Don't worry the ruling Chinese class will always keep just enough foreigners around for situations like these. I've said all along everything from amended Visa policies to rice land would be used to confuse the Thais into thinking the economic problems and disparity are the result of foreigners and not the ruling elite.

Get ready for more they've likely just begun.

Edited by losworld

Where I have lived for 18 years,farmers sell their land in order to pay for a lavish party when a son "get mellid" or "goes to Buddha".Or they want to buy a new car to keep inside the house (no money for fuel) etc. Or,they borrow the money and later,when they can´t repay the loan,complain to the government and want its help to bail them out!! Make of it what you want,but that´s the truth in many,many cases..

Agreed.

In Chiang Rai, chief of a palm oil cooperative Inkham Namwong claimed that around 70 per cent of farmland and plantation in the province had been rented to foreigners.

BTW, I've never seen a palm oil plantation in C.Rai, and I've driven all the back roads. If Mr. Inkham surmises 70% of farmland is rented to foreigners, then he must be referring to Chinese or Thai-Chinese families. The biggest (or at least the most visible) growth industry here in C.Rai in regard to land acquisition is Sinthanee - a Chinese/Thai owned tract housing corporation.

I've been in real estate here, and vast tracts of fallow (and attractive) rural properties are owned by absentee Thais or Chinese-Thais, most of whom reside in Bangkok. Police (captains and underlings) also secure many tracts of of prime land, tho am not sure how they get hold of it in the first place.

Let's hope for everyone's sake, particularly Thai farmers', that Zimbabweization doesn't take hold. It would be lose-lose for all but a few well-placed Thai manipulators, like the person(s) making the ridiculous claims in the OP article.

Edited by brahmburgers