First Casualty

mrbojangles

Well that didn't take long :) We might as well use this thread for the next one's as well. And there will be more. :D

From skysports:-

Gunn fired by Norwich

Norwich City have sacked Bryan Gunn as manager of the League One club.

The shock decision follows the side's disappointing 7-1 defeat at home to Colchester United on the opening day of the season.

Gunn then led his side to a 4-0 victory in their first round Carling Cup fixture against Yeovil Town on Tuesday.

But the Canaries have now opted to terminate Gunn's contract, with assistant manager Ian Butterworth to take temporary charge of the team for Saturday's match versus Exeter City.

Gunn, who won six of his 21 games in charge, took over at Carrow Road in January but was unable to help Norwich avoid relegation from the Championship.

Chief executive David McNally, speaking on behalf of the board, told the club's official website: "Bryan has worked tirelessly for this football club for more than two decades, not least since taking over team affairs back in January.

"However the board met this week following Saturday's unacceptable record home defeat in our opening league game of the season.

"Our goal this season remains unchanged. We want to be promoted and the next manager of Norwich City will have that as his No.1 priority.

"The board after lengthy consideration unanimously felt a change was in the best interests of all parties concerned, in order to give us the best possible chance of achieving our objectives.

"We'd like to thank Bryan for his honesty and passion for the club, and for all he has done for us as manager and generally over the years. He has never given of anything other than his best for the Canaries and he will always be welcome at Norwich City.

"Ian Butterworth will take charge of the team for the game at Exeter, with the board already working on identifying the right man to take the club forward on a long-term basis."

Edited by mrbojangles

Well that didn't take long :D We might as well use this thread for the next one's as well. And there will be more. :D

From skysports:-

Gunn fired by Norwich

Norwich City have sacked Bryan Gunn as manager of the League One club.

"We'd like to thank Bryan for his honesty and passion for the club, and for all he has done for us as manager and generally over the years.

I always love these quotes by the directors/owners of the clubs after sacking the manager :)

I would have a lot more respect for them if they would say something like "We feel as though Bryan doesnt know his ars from his elbow, therefore we have had to let him go"

I could understand if they sacked him after the 7-1 home defeat but why wait until after they won there next match 4-0 away ??

Really he should have gone at the end of last season when they were relegated.Why keep him on for another 3 months if they are going to do this ?

Methinks the Board,including Delia,should be out the door as well as the manager.

I could understand if they sacked him after the 7-1 home defeat but why wait until after they won there next match 4-0 away ??

Really he should have gone at the end of last season when they were relegated.Why keep him on for another 3 months if they are going to do this ?

That's what I thought.

Methinks the Board,including Delia,should be out the door as well as the manager.

She should have been booted out when she did that "come on" public address, when she was p1ssed :)

What a load of <deleted> that is. Fired after winning a game :)

Must have been a little more to this than has been said, but as been mentioned could have understood if they had done it at the end of last season, or after that first match. Still strange though.

Who will be next?

Who will be next?

I'm gonna plump for Phil Brown.

I think the Managers of the teams who have just been promoted will be given more time than those who were already in the Prem.

Steve Bruce could also be in the mix if his spending doesn't get any rewards. Talking of spending, the pressure will be on Hughes shoulders big style.

Who will be next?

I'm gonna plump for Phil Brown.

I think the Managers of the teams who have just been promoted will be given more time than those who were already in the Prem.

Steve Bruce could also be in the mix if his spending doesn't get any rewards. Talking of spending, the pressure will be on Hughes shoulders big style.

Yeah, I would go with Brown as first choice, followed by Mark Hughes. Crucial he gets a winning start, if not he's gone. As for teams coming up, I tink Macleish would be the mose vulnerable out of that bunch.

I think Brown at Hull and Hart at Portsmouth are the most vulnerable and if City are lying about 15th at the end of October Mark Hughes will be on his way.

Of the promoted clubs I reckon Mick McCarthy could well be in trouble if Wolves start to emulate the form of his last Premiership stint with Sunderland.

"Bryan has worked tirelessly for this football club for more than two decades, not least since taking over team affairs back in January.

I suggest they did think it over carefully and there wouldn't have been a single figure wielding the axe, collective responsibility means collective abdication and takes a little time to put the wheels in motion, I bet they were willing for defeat against Yeovil, to justify such a decision.

As for the next to go, after today, Moyes could be in for a short shift.

Edited by Mossfinn

"Bryan has worked tirelessly for this football club for more than two decades, not least since taking over team affairs back in January.

I suggest they did think it over carefully and there wouldn't have been a single figure wielding the axe, collective responsibility means collective abdication and takes a little time to put the wheels in motion, I bet they were willing for defeat against Yeovil, to justify such a decision.

kenwright will never sack moyes.

kenwright will never sack moyes.

Agree with that, no way is Moyes under threat..........yet.

• 2 months later...

Liverpool's manager next?

Have not consulted Liverpool Tv thread or fan threads so have no special knowledge other than watching games on TV. He always looks as though it's his last game.

Yours in trepidation, waiting to be shot down in flames by the red army

Liverpool do not have the money to hire a new manager so he could be safe. If we fire him we would probably just make Sammy Lee interim manager and I do not see that happening.

Papers were saying LP can't afford to fire him with his 4.5 year contract at 4.5 million pounds a year.

• 1 month later...

Well Hart has gone!!

Just chuckling at some of the original predictions.... Mark Hughes, if city are 15th bythe end of OCT... BEHAVE!!! :D

So who is next??????

I will stick to my original picks of Megson and Alladyce. I think Benitez will be gone before the end of the season :)

Well Hart has gone!!

Just chuckling at some of the original predictions.... Mark Hughes, if city are 15th bythe end of OCT... BEHAVE!!! :D

So who is next??????

I will stick to my original picks of Megson and Alladyce. I think Benitez will be gone before the end of the season :)

I agree that Megson is on thin ice, but big Sam I don't think so. Phil Brown is a natural candidate.

A pretty thankless task for Hart managing a club that has sold all its best players and then appoint Avram Grant as Technical Director a few weeks back.....the writing was on the wall.

Brown and Megson definitely the two under most pressure now !

JD.....Mark Hughes is safe for now but if Citeh are 15th at the end of the season :)

Well Hart has gone!!

So who is next??????

I think Allardyce will be okay, however Megson and Brown a re looking increasingly vulnerable. Hart to be fair was on a hiding to nothing. I think the other two big names Benitez and Hughes will last a little longer, but they are not on solid footing.

Allardyce? He's doing fantastic. Add to that, he's having heart surgery for goodness' sake! How could you sack him? Have a little compassion.. ha ha. Hope all goes well for him and his operation. I think he'd be likely to quit for health reasons than get sacked. And Dunn is doing remarkably well this year for Blackburn. I just don't see it happening.

I know Blackburn won the Premier League once, but that was long ago. They can't expect that kind of position these days, so I think he's meeting expectations just fine.

As for Hughes, I think Man City will want a sexier manager after a while, and he'll be gone at or by the end of the season.

Edited by Jimjim