Happy 64th Anniversary

chiangmaikelly

The United States accepts the surrender of Thailand after WW II. Great Britain and Siam signed an Agreement on January 1, 1946 terminating the state of war which existed between the two countries. On January 5 diplomatic relations between Siam and Great Britain and between Siam and the United States were resumed.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is said that Thailand has never been conquered by any country in its whole history, but a Thai history student told me that it has, twice in the Ayutthaya perioed. I wonder Anyone wants to confirm the truth

Never been colonised would be more like it.

According to popular belief, the Thais virulently resent EVERYONE who isn't Thai... and a fair chunk of their own too.

When a simple country has been completely controlled for so long by a closit of as one famous chap said "dark Forces" its easy to keep the population under control and blame everything on Guilos-White Eyes/Ghosts..pee bobs and Fa-langs...

They are only interested in stealing everything we have...our land-treasures-traditions-way of life-....err women.....and they have more money than T people....easy init.

Even here in the UK we have angrits who have the same simple fears....bleeding foreig.....etc...taking all our jobs...claiming our social security /dole money...getting free houses ....marrying our women.......repeats itself...

On the other hand and back to LOS most Thais may have been considered (a one time )simple peasants but me thinks it only a matter of time before even they they become "revolting.".......talk to em ...nobody believes the GUFF any more..... :) Seri...indeed

It is said that Thailand has never been conquered by any country in its whole history, but a Thai history student told me that it has, twice in the Ayutthaya perioed. I wonder Anyone wants to confirm the truth

And what about the Japanese during WWII ?

In Thai history classes I believe they refer to that as the time Thailand became a hub of Japanese tourism. :)

In Thai history classes I believe they refer to that as the time Thailand became a hub of Japanese tourism. :)

Yeah, sex tourism.

The United States accepts the surrender of Thailand after WW II. Great Britain and Siam signed an Agreement on January 1, 1946 terminating the state of war which existed between the two countries. On January 5 diplomatic relations between Siam and Great Britain and between Siam and the United States were resumed.

Just think, if Thailand hadn’t surrendered after the war and Britain invaded Thailand, we could have had George Brown as the Prime minister now.

The thought is horrendous.

Its kinda funny but if Thailand had been conquered the standard of living would probably be much higher now.

Yeah, Burma, Cambodja, Laos and Vietnam are really kicking Thailands ass.

Had Burma stayed colonized it would have been a rival to any nation in the region so far as standard of living. Or even if they had some competent leadership rather than the band of self described "generals" who are nothing but a bunch of (evil) clowns.

There is a reason that Ayutthaya is an abandoned ruin instead of a functioning city, the Burmese successfully invaded and burnt the city to the ground and enslaved its population in 1767. The country avoided Burmese rule thanks to an invasion from China that forced the Burmese to retreat and protect their own territory.

France wanted to colonies Thailand in the late 1800. France had already started on Vietnam , The Thai king came to Britain to ask if Queen Victoria could help Him,Britain along with Germany And Russia told France the could not Colonies Thailand so the rest is History , France kept Vietnam.

The Thai's do not learn anything adverse re their history, so the capitulation to Japan & subsequent joining of the axis of evil & declaration of war against the US & GB are not widely known.

Just think, if Thailand hadn’t surrendered after the war and Britain invaded Thailand, we could have had George Brown as the Prime minister now.

The thought is horrendous.

rather doubt it but .....however...suppose....

In August 1966 George Brown became Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs.

Over the next two years he led the government's decision to apply for membership of the European Economic Community. He resigned on 14th March 1968 after a dispute with the prime minister, Harold Wilson, concerning government decision-making.

Brown was defeated in the 1970 General Election.

He was created Baron George-Brown but was not an active member of the House of Lords and in March 1976 left the Labour Party. He went into business and worked for Courtaulds (1968-73). He was also a director of Commercial Credit and British Northrop.

George Brown died in 1985

post-13-1250454200_thumb.jpg

, so the capitulation to Japan & subsequent joining of the axis of evil & declaration of war against the US & GB are not widely known.

"Capitulation" or "Surrender".

What's the difference?

Cowardice = lack of courage to fight.

Nothing to be proud of.

seems to me the Thai extreme dislike of Burmese goes back to when he Burmese conquered "Thailand" twice.

"Thailand" was just a collection of rice fields from Ayutthaya up to Chiang Mai.

Occupying Ayutthaya meant occupying the whole country, not real hard.

a thai female teacher once expressed a spitting disgust when i said i like Burma.

so the guy who ran away from Ayutthaya came back and ran off the tiny Burmese force, then jogged down to Thonburi,

thats his statue at Wong Wiang Yai, King Taksin.

maybe the question is not why is xenophobia so strong in Thailand,

but rather why do Thais think they are so wonderful?

IMHO they have no reason to feel special and superior.

where does this come from?

Thailand was occupied during WW2, Japan was occupied by the US for a period after WW2.

Malaya was colonised and was part of the British Empire along with Burma. Indochina was French.

Thailand did have a goverment in exile who were in the USA. Hong Kong was British until 1997

when the lease ran out.

Hello, this surrender was only a formality as Japan occupied Thailand and killed many thousands of Thai people as well as the Allied POWs so the line is blured. Thailand was under duress as Japan would have taken it by force, but many more Thai people would have been killed that way so Thailand entered the agreement with Japan. It was only a short time that Thailand had to wait before the defeat of Japan, and the Thai people got their country back.

Thailand was occupied during WW2, Japan was occupied by the US for a period after WW2.

Malaya was colonised and was part of the British Empire along with Burma. Indochina was French.

Thailand did have a goverment in exile who were in the USA. Hong Kong was British until 1997

when the lease ran out.

Thailand was not occupied during WW 2. The British and Australians wanted occupy Thailand after the war but were prevented in doing so by the US.