Sunday Roast In Chalong

petercallen

Are there any places in chalong that serve a decent Sunday roast, i prefer lamb but beef is ok, the drunken monkey used to but it seems to have closed.

this wont be much help as too where ,, but a roast leg of pork will not be beaten by either beef or lamb ,,,the crackle is the best l have ever eaten and the meat soooooooo tender ,,,,,,,,,bugger ,, might have to go and see pork lady now ,,,,

enjoy

egg :)

I had the roast dinner at islander restaurant in rawai yesterday, the establishment was clean and service was excellent. Sunday roast was 300 baht, plenty of boiled or steamed vegetables and three pieces of roast potato, very small serving of meat and a weak watery gravy. My wife had a thai dish of seafood and rice which she said was excellent cost 200 baht. I asked for a drinks price list and was told by the waitress they did not have one. A flat glass of beer was 50 baht small water 25 baht,i have definatly had better value.

Dons cafe is starting Sunday roasts on 30/08/09 that's this coming Sunday lamb, beef, pork and all the trimmings for 199 baht children under 12 100 baht, i went there last time for his American Independence day buffet which was a good night out at the same price. Sounds like good value to me.

Are there any places in chalong that serve a decent Sunday roast, i prefer lamb but beef is ok, the drunken monkey used to but it seems to have closed.

Dons Mall on viset road is starting to do Roasts dont know how good they are but may be worth checking out

Went for the Sunday roast at dons cafe today, don is a very pleasant host and the meal at 199 baht which included soup, main meal and desert very well priced. don seems to be training new staff who don't seem to know what they are doing and take a fair while to get around to serving you. I ordered the roast lamb and my wife order a Thai dish of squid and rice which was far to salty. My meal when it came had plenty of meat (a mixture of lamb and pork), the vegetables which did not include potato(maybe they forgot to put it on the plate)seemed to have been boiled and then burnt in a pan for a short time, not what i call roast vegetables, maybe training new chef/cook.The pumpkin soup was delicious.

Went for the Sunday roast at dons cafe today, don is a very pleasant host and the meal at 199 baht which included soup, main meal and desert very well priced. don seems to be training new staff who don't seem to know what they are doing and take a fair while to get around to serving you. I ordered the roast lamb and my wife order a Thai dish of squid and rice which was far to salty. My meal when it came had plenty of meat (a mixture of lamb and pork), the vegetables which did not include potato(maybe they forgot to put it on the plate)seemed to have been boiled and then burnt in a pan for a short time, not what i call roast vegetables, maybe training new chef/cook.The pumpkin soup was delicious.

I've never had any luck at Don's both with the staff and the food. In fact on one occasion many years ago i ordered a meal that included lamb or pork cannot remember which. However it turned out to be a real rough piece of meat which i just left on the side of the plate and said nothing. Minutes later Don ambled over as he does, looked at the meat and said "you got a bad deal there" and just walked away. I've never been in a hurry to go back.

Edited by tirekicker

I had the roast dinner at Happy Days. Best Yorkshire pudding I've had in Thailand.

The Thai lady who cooks spent 12 years in England.

Best roast on the island and I've had a few.

We will be trying happy days next Sunday, only had good reports about the establishment, thanks

I warn you, it's not cheap. 300 Baht, though that includes soup and a coffee. Leave plenty of space, though.

Six, or seven slices of roast beef.

A heap of fresh, crisp mixed veggies.

Mashed potato.

Two roast potatoes.

Two Yorkshire puddings (the round ones that deflate when you stick a fork in them).

Gravy.

They have roast chicken and roast pork if you're so inclined. Same price.

Edited by KarenBravo

Tirekicker... I have known Don for almost 8 years. If he approached you and said that, he had full intentions of fixing that problem. Knowing his staff, he must have gotten distracted and completely forgot about it. Not good, I know.

That man does the equivalent of the work of maybe 10 of us farangs put together. Between trips all over Thailand doing qc work for his food factories and farms and other restaurants, this man works like a mule 7 days a week.

I am not making excuses for him. Bad service and food is inexcusable. But the expectations from westerners for great fantastic service in Thailand is way too unrealistic. Having worked in resorts in upper management, I can tell you that Thais are the most difficult people to train. Particularly southern Thais.

They are hard headed and refuse to accept responsibilities for their actions or learn new procedures. Unless you are there 24x7, they will do it their way. If you reprimand them the Thai way (big smile, do not worry, do not do it again next time) they quit!!

I too have had bad service there, but I go back because Don fixes things and the food can be exceptional. He is an institution on this island and deserves support. Got a problem? Tell him! PM him first and you will get a quick response.

But I agree. The service and sometimes the food leaves a lot to be desired.

For those talking about Happy Days. Their food is very very good, if M is there. If she is not, the food there can be pretty unforgettable. Last pizza I had there (and they are very good) was burnt to a crisp and the English owner laughed about it when I brought it up. It ain't the food Shangri-La you all say it is.

I warn you, it's not cheap. 300 Baht, though that includes soup and a coffee. Leave plenty of space, though.

Six, or seven slices of roast beef.

A heap of fresh, crisp mixed veggies.

Mashed potato.

Two roast potatoes.

Two Yorkshire puddings (the round ones that deflate when you stick a fork in them).

Gravy.

They have roast chicken and roast pork if you're so inclined. Same price.

The price sounds fine to me, 300baht is value for money if the food is good.

Tirekicker... I have known Don for almost 8 years. If he approached you and said that, he had full intentions of fixing that problem. Knowing his staff, he must have gotten distracted and completely forgot about it. Not good, I know.

That man does the equivalent of the work of maybe 10 of us farangs put together. Between trips all over Thailand doing qc work for his food factories and farms and other restaurants, this man works like a mule 7 days a week.

I am not making excuses for him. Bad service and food is inexcusable. But the expectations from westerners for great fantastic service in Thailand is way too unrealistic. Having worked in resorts in upper management, I can tell you that Thais are the most difficult people to train. Particularly southern Thais.

They are hard headed and refuse to accept responsibilities for their actions or learn new procedures. Unless you are there 24x7, they will do it their way. If you reprimand them the Thai way (big smile, do not worry, do not do it again next time) they quit!!

I too have had bad service there, but I go back because Don fixes things and the food can be exceptional. He is an institution on this island and deserves support. Got a problem? Tell him! PM him first and you will get a quick response.

For those talking about Happy Days. Their food is very very good, if M is there. If she is not, the food there can be pretty unforgettable. Last pizza I had there (and they are very good) was burnt to a crisp and the English owner laughed about it when I brought it up. It ain't the food Shangri-La you all say it is.

He had no intention of "fixing the problem" otherwise something would have been done at the time.

This is not a swipe at Don and not a big deal, it must have been one of his off days plus i know what problems he has when employing Thai staff which in many cases are not willing to learn or be told. I just prefer not to eat there.

I also tried the roast. Good pumkin soup, and also the beef and prok were excellent. The staff clearly had no idea what bto do with the set menu, and forgot the potatoes, so I asked them, and also had problems with the apple pie and icecream as desert (also included).

No pudding with the roast.

So maybe he should focus on less, and make sure the quality in that place is continously high?

Can someone just post where "Happy Days" is, please?

Yes.

At Chalong Circle, take the smallest road - the one that leads down to Chalong pier.

Happy Days bar will be about 150 metres on your left hand side.

It has a large sign, quite high up, with Happy Days written on it which is lit up at night.

It's not a 'bar girl' bar by the way. It's a real bar, with restaurant and small guest house attached.

Went for the Sunday roast at happy days today, the meal consisting of soup, roast dinner and coffee was Delicious and excellent value at 300 baht, we will be going again but after 6pm, before 6pm they only do the roast dinner, after you can also can order Thai food. The staff were friendly and spoke english.

• 3 months later...