Non-o (marriage) And Work Permit ..ok?

I'm sure I have seen a thread on this subject but I can't find it, so if anyone can point me the right way please do.

Here is my problem....

I have a 12 month multi-entry Non-O based on marriage to a Thai national obtained in the UK, I am currently in Thailand on this visa.

I now actually have a job offer (hurrah) BUT the nice lady in the company office insists that I must have a Non-B in order to get a work permit (this from immigration here in BKK), I thought I could work with a Non-O.

The company want to send me off to KL to get a B, I don't actually have a problem with doing that (they will pay) but:-

1. Will my Non-O be cancelled if I get a Non-B (can I have two current visas)??

2. When my 2 month contact ends and the 3 month B finishes will my old O come back into force as it will still have 6 months to run?

I hope I am being clear here, like I said a pointer to an existing thread or an official website would be great

Any and all info. most appreciated.

Cheers

DC

Do not believe immigration has anything to do with a work permit - they only become involved after you have a permit and request an extension of stay. So if company says immigration does not allow it there seems to be a miscommunication.

If my understanding of others is right you can indeed obtain a work permit on an O type entry.

If this is true and I were a Consular officer I would not issue a new B type visa without cancel of the O type but don't know what you would face.

Official web sites do not have the information you require at this time AFAIK.

2. When my 2 month contact ends and the 3 month B finishes will my old O come back into force as it will still have 6 months to run?

I have my type O-A visa as well. When they went to do the work permit there was no need to change my visa type. Why would i want to do that? It would mean the company controls you more. If you left your job for some reason, they would cancel your work permit and then you would have 7 days to leave the country to get a new visa. Keep you type O visa. If i am able to use mine why can't you?

best of luck. i would contact IndoSam he can help you.

I have my type O-A visa as well. When they went to do the work permit there was no need to change my visa type. Why would i want to do that? It would mean the company controls you more. If you left your job for some reason, they would cancel your work permit and then you would have 7 days to leave the country to get a new visa. Keep you type O visa. If i am able to use mine why can't you?

best of luck. i would contact IndoSam he can help you.

Good question. But how you are allowed to use a retirement visa for employment when that is not allowed becomes the next question. :o

Thanks Everybody for your prompt replies.

The problem is now solved. :o

The lady in question has now actually SPOKEN to the labour dept. (rather than just guessing), we are off there on monday to sort the paperwork. They have asked me to bring my marriage cert. and my wifes ID "just in case".

But TiT, so you never know, do you ??

lopburi3: you are constanly my source of infomation but you shock me today.

Perhaps i worded something wrong. type O visa is not just for retirement but also a marriage visa. Am i not right?

working on this visa not only allowed but makes your life a little easier from all the red tape of having to leave the country every time i change jobs. (not that i do change jobs alot)

Type O yes. Type O-A is for long stay fulfilling the requirement requirements prior to travel and indicates it has been approved so you will get the visa on arrival.

So what you should have is a type O visa in your passport rather than O-A. If it says O-A and is for marriage I have no clue. Ever since they came out with this class of visa there has been confusion so if you have O-A I will have to take a double does of aspirin today.

Below is the official catagory information from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website:

VISA ISSUANCE FOR TEMPORARY RESIDENCE [ NON-IMMIGRANT "O-A" (LONG STAY)]          This type of visa will be issued to applicants aged 50 years or above wishing to take retreat in the Kingdom at least for the period of one year.

I. QUALIFICATION OF THE APPLICNAT

o A foreign national whose age is 50 years or above (on the date of submitting the application).

o Not being prohibited from entering the Kingdom under the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (A.D.1979).

o Having no criminal record against the security of Thailand and the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence.

o Having the nationality of or the residence in the country where his/her application is submitted.         

o Not having prohibitive diseases (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Drug Addiction, Elephantiasis and Third step of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535).

o Not being allowed to work in Thailand.

When I used to work for a government school, they got me a WP and I'm on an "O" visa...they did change the reason for the visa though and it was then extended till the date my contract with the government school ended. If something happend and I left my job, it looked as if my work permit cancellation would have cancelled my visa (as it would for a "B" visa). I took some time off to finish my BA and had my last extension based on the bank funds. The lady at immigation said the reason for the visa should have never been changed and it should have nothing to do with the labor dept. Now it's back to being separate. With a "B" visa, your work status also affects your legal status in Thailand. As others may say, they really have you in a corner with a "B" visa. Stay with the "O" no matter what unless you're either getting permanent residence or unless you're retiring.