Non-imm O-a

OK, all this my head in a bit of a swim. If I may, allow me to just relate to you what my plan is and ask you if I am on the right track here.

1. August 2009 established bank account

2. January, wiring money (800,000 baht) to account.

3. Traveling to Thailand to look into money, health insurance and housing issues

4. Upon return to the States I may put in for a 60 day tourist visa

5. After that return to Thailand and apply for an extension based on retirement

6. Apply also for multiple entry visa

Now some questions of my own on this:

A. Will I always have to do visa runs (a problem as we age)?

B. Will I be allowed a multiple entry visa?

C. Have I missed anything?

D. There was mention of a wire transfer agreement. My banks seem clueless. Can anyone offer guidance. I do have accounts where my children have power of attorney. This could suffice but I prefer to handle things on my own.

To all, thanks for all the answers and opinions.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be better to get a single entry O visa in the USA. You could enter on a tourist visa, but then you would have to convert to an O in Thailand with at least 21 days left on the permission to stay. In either case, the next step is to apply or the extension based on retirement IN Thailand; it is good for a one year stay which begins after your current permission to stay expires (single O or tourist).

A. Visa runs?

No need. You are going for annual extensions based on retirement. As long as you can keep getting those, there is never any need for visa runs or to leave Thailand for the rest of your life.

B. You can get single or multiple reentry permits that appy to your annual extensions of stay. Yes, you can always get those, no problem, just apply and pay.

C. Missed anything? Probably, that's above my pay grade.

D. Approach your banks another way. Ask them how can I do a international SWIFT wire transfer while I am abroad and can not visit a branch in the US. If they don't support this in some way, you absolutely should open new account(s)!!!! Each bank has different methods for this, you will have to elevate this and get the info you need. You might want to mention your banks, some of us may know the situation with some US banks.

Another psychological thing you are going to have to get used to if you go through with this. In the US, Americans who move abroad to live permanently are not considered mainstream people. You will not generally get a lot of support for doing this from American institutions. Most of us maintain fake US identities (addresses, drivers licenses, even US phone numbers) in order to smooth the way for dealing with this situation. It isn't pretty. Nobody said moving abroad doesn't come with many complications and challenges. Frankly, not everyone is up to it.

Edited by Jingthing

OK, all this my head in a bit of a swim. If I may, allow me to just relate to you what my plan is and ask you if I am on the right track here.

1. August 2009 established bank account

2. January, wiring money (800,000 baht) to account.

3. Traveling to Thailand to look into money, health insurance and housing issues

4. Upon return to the States I may put in for a 60 day tourist visa

5. After that return to Thailand and apply for an extension based on retirement

6. Apply also for multiple entry visa

Now some questions of my own on this:

A. Will I always have to do visa runs (a problem as we age)?

B. Will I be allowed a multiple entry visa?

C. Have I missed anything?

D. There was mention of a wire transfer agreement. My banks seem clueless. Can anyone offer guidance. I do have accounts where my children have power of attorney. This could suffice but I prefer to handle things on my own.

To all, thanks for all the answers and opinions.

4.Best to try and get a single entry non immigrant O visa. A tourist visa adds one more step to the process because you have to do a change of visa status from a tourist to non immigrant visa. Most consulates in the states have been reported as not giving O visas because they have been instructed to push the OA. The consulate in Portland recently issued one so you should contact them first. Link: http://www.thai-or.com/

6. Is not a visa. After you get your extension you can get a multiple re-entry permit (3800 baht).

A/B No need for either because you will have an extension of stay and will get the re-entry permit. Just report to immigration every 90 days.

D. Calling it an agreement is probably overstating it. It is just some sort of arrangement with your bank so that you can do transfers without going to the bank. Most banks will let you do it by phone, fax, email or on line even.

The wire transfer agreement (and my bank uses that name) is like you have with ATM card use (in that case Electronic Transfer Agreement). Banks love legalize and they will run for pages. Basically it confirms your understanding that if you instruct bank to make such a transfer and the bank obtains the normal confirmation that you can not hold them responsible if things go amiss. Bank must have such a signed statment on file before doing any type of wire transfer and it must be signed in person. When doing this the details of how you can perform this from outside of the US needs to be addressed and if they do not have any way I would set up a new account at a bank that does. Normally they can use one or more of - online; telephone; fax; letter. If by phone, like my bank uses, you provide a password that will be asked each time - also they should make note that you are not at US home address/phone number so callback verification is not required.

It is much easier to take care of this when home and in person - in most cases the initial set up can not be done except in person.

Edited by lopburi3

Ubonjoe

Most banks will let you do it by phone, fax, email or on line even.

Most US banks will NOT let you do SWIFT transfers online. Some US banks do not support SWIFT at all without showing up at a branch. The OP needs to find out the SPECIFIC situation with his SPECIFIC banks. Generalities won't help him. Also, he should do this BEFORE he moves to Thailand. It is very difficult to open up new US accounts if you don't live in the US.

Edited by Jingthing

If the above is an intential misquote of my post I do not appreciate it. I provided a list of the normal way such transfers are handled and did not say that most banks provided all such options.

Normally they can use one or more of - online; telephone; fax; letter

lopburi3 --

If the above is an intential misquote of my post I do not appreciate it. I provided a list of the normal way such transfers are handled and did not say that most banks provided all such options.

the snippet you cite is from Ubonjoe's post:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2965082

Be careful please before making accusations. I do use SNIPPETS to avoid overlong posts and threads. I think it is good courteous practice. In this case the snippet was valid and it was not even yours. I have edited it to acknowledge the author.

Edited by Jingthing

You posted it directly below my post with no indication of source. Not a good prectice.

OK, fine, if that makes you happy. :D I think we were posting at the same time; I was not responding to your post as when I was writing my post I didn't know it existed.

:) Back to the topic.

Edited by Jingthing

Most US banks will NOT let you do SWIFT transfers online. Some US banks do not support SWIFT at all without showing up at a branch.

If that is true then the US banks must be totally out of touch with global reality. :)

I bank in the Channel Islands, off the UK coast.

I have never visited the bank in my life

Everything is done, either on line, or by fax, backed with security codes.

I will be happy to advise the name of my bank, by PM.

Expatriation is considered much more "normal" in the UK than the US. The suggestion that a US person use a Channel Island bank as his home bank is interesting, but many US people have money sources from the US, so the money still needs to get from the US bank to the Channel Island bank, I assume by SWIFT, so what's the difference, that adds another step doesn't it?

Ubonjoe

Most US banks will NOT let you do SWIFT transfers online. Some US banks do not support SWIFT at all without showing up at a branch. The OP needs to find out the SPECIFIC situation with his SPECIFIC banks. Generalities won't help him. Also, he should do this BEFORE he moves to Thailand. It is very difficult to open up new US accounts if you don't live in the US.

I don't know which bank he is using so all I can do is give general information.

I didn't tell him not to do it. I was trying the explain to him what he needed to do in answer to his question.\

It is much better to use the quote button and then edit out what you are not replying to instead of doing a copy and paste and putting it in quotes.

It would be better to get a single entry O visa in the USA. You could enter on a tourist visa, but then you would have to convert to an O in Thailand with at least 21 days left on the permission to stay. In either case, the next step is to apply or the extension based on retirement IN Thailand; it is good for a one year stay which begins after your current permission to stay expires (single O or tourist).

A. Visa runs?

No need. You are going for annual extensions based on retirement. As long as you can keep getting those, there is never any need for visa runs or to leave Thailand for the rest of your life.

B. You can get single or multiple reentry permits that appy to your annual extensions of stay. Yes, you can always get those, no problem, just apply and pay.

C. Missed anything? Probably, that's above my pay grade.

D. Approach your banks another way. Ask them how can I do a international SWIFT wire transfer while I am abroad and can not visit a branch in the US. If they don't support this in some way, you absolutely should open new account(s)!!!! Each bank has different methods for this, you will have to elevate this and get the info you need. You might want to mention your banks, some of us may know the situation with some US banks.

Another psychological thing you are going to have to get used to if you go through with this. In the US, Americans who move abroad to live permanently are not considered mainstream people. You will not generally get a lot of support for doing this from American institutions. Most of us maintain fake US identities (addresses, drivers licenses, even US phone numbers) in order to smooth the way for dealing with this situation. It isn't pretty. Nobody said moving abroad doesn't come with many complications and challenges. Frankly, not everyone is up to it.

I have already done most of what you suggest here in the States. I have bank accounts set up to my permanent mailing address, I am concerned that my DL will expire 6 months after I move to Thailand but am working that issue.

Frankly, I am up to it. I am only trying to reconcile the best way to initially move to Thailand. I have a Thai bank account, I have a handle on health insurance and I believe I have my US assets under control. I know I can do this. I have been planning this for a while. My plan may not be perfect but it is workable. Where I am initially moving to there are many ex-pats to ask advice of as well as this board.

I do appreciate your expertise on this and your advice.

Ubonjoe

I agree with this and I need to talk to my banks this week as this is still an unresolved matter for me, however, I do have a backup plan.

I have opened an account where my adult children have power of attorney. I can move money into this account online and they can wire it to my Thai bank's swift codes. I will prove this out in January when I return, if not sooner. I would prefer to handle all of this myself, however and need to get this resolved for my own peace of mind.

All of my accounts, investment and bank, are in the name of my revocable living trust also, except for my Thai bank account. When I die, I wonder how my heirs will be able to recover any assets in Thailand.

The wire transfer agreement (and my bank uses that name) is like you have with ATM card use (in that case Electronic Transfer Agreement). Banks love legalize and they will run for pages. Basically it confirms your understanding that if you instruct bank to make such a transfer and the bank obtains the normal confirmation that you can not hold them responsible if things go amiss. Bank must have such a signed statment on file before doing any type of wire transfer and it must be signed in person. When doing this the details of how you can perform this from outside of the US needs to be addressed and if they do not have any way I would set up a new account at a bank that does. Normally they can use one or more of - online; telephone; fax; letter. If by phone, like my bank uses, you provide a password that will be asked each time - also they should make note that you are not at US home address/phone number so callback verification is not required.

It is much easier to take care of this when home and in person - in most cases the initial set up can not be done except in person.

I will look into it this week. Thanks!

When I die, I wonder how my heirs will be able to recover any assets in Thailand.

Write a separate will for your Thai assets done IN Thailand with a Thai lawyer. If you name an heir as your Thai will's executor, they will have to travel to Thailand to enforce it. Otherwise, you will really have to trust someone in Thailand to be your executor. Also remember there are usually issues exporting money OUT of Thailand. Banks often just block such transfers.

Edited by Jingthing

USAA Federal Savings Bank is now open to all (other USAA services, like insurance, still require a military connection). They don't require a physical presence to open an account or set-up wire transfers. And since they were established to support military members, dealing with folks overseas is their forte. Most countries, including Thailand, have a toll-free number to USAA.

Don't know if you can implement a wire transfer on-line (I use ACH for money transfers, which *can* be done on-line with USAA. However, a Bangkok Bank account is a requirement). But, the toll free phone method is a snap, as you set up a template ahead of time, with all the data required. Then, you just call (or fax,email), give them your template nickname and the amount you want sent, and that's it.

Wire fees: $35. ACH fees: free (but $10, for most transactions, at the Bangkok Bank New York intermediary)

More info on USAA on Thaivisa: HERE

The more I read, the more dense I think I must be.

I an American and have been getting Non-Imm "O" visas in my home country for the last few years. I am over 50, keep only a small working ATM account in a Thai bank, live in Thailand basically on my SS check for 3 months at a time and then return to the States for a month before coming back to Thailand.

I intend to lengthen my stays as time goes on, and live in Thailand indefinately, as they will let me.

I can provide a letter (or bank statement) from my US banking institution that I have more than 800,000 baht in the bank there, and that I receive more than 65,000 baht per month income from there (including my SS money).

If necessary I can also provide letters attesting to no criminal record from my local police chief, and no communicable diseases from my doctor.

TO SORT OF RECAP THEN, I would much appreciate if the knowledgeable posters who I see here, would please reply to the following questions, which I believe would clear things up for me;

1) If I get my usual 4 re-entry Non-Imm "O" visa in the States as always, and then just before the last re-entry (just before the last 90 days are used up in Thailand) I go to Thai Immigration and ask for a "retirement extension", will I then get another one year Non-Imm "O" as this extension, and with 4 more re-entries? Yes or no?

2) If the above is all affirmative, then it appears that the Non-Imm "O-A" visa and the required attesting letters would not be necessary. Yes or No? (and if not, would anything else need to be shown or provided for the "retirement extension"?)

3) If the answer to #1 above is no, and an "O-A" appears necessary, is it then always permissable to only have money in the States for this "O-A" visa? Yes or No? (and what must be shown or provided?)

Thank You for your help.

Petruchio

I an American and have been getting Non-Imm "O" visas in my home country for the last few years. I am over 50, keep only a small working ATM account in a Thai bank, live in Thailand basically on my SS check for 3 months at a time and then return to the States for a month before coming back to Thailand.

I intend to lengthen my stays as time goes on, and live in Thailand indefinately, as they will let me.

I can provide a letter (or bank statement) from my US banking institution that I have more than 800,000 baht in the bank there, and that I receive more than 65,000 baht per month income from there (including my SS money).

If necessary I can also provide letters attesting to no criminal record from my local police chief, and no communicable diseases from my doctor.

TO SORT OF RECAP THEN, I would much appreciate if the knowledgeable posters who I see here, would please reply to the following questions, which I believe would clear things up for me;

1) If I get my usual 4 re-entry Non-Imm "O" visa in the States as always, and then just before the last re-entry (just before the last 90 days are used up in Thailand) I go to Thai Immigration and ask for a "retirement extension", will I then get another one year Non-Imm "O" as this extension, and with 4 more re-entries? Yes or no?

2) If the above is all affirmative, then it appears that the Non-Imm "O-A" visa and the required attesting letters would not be necessary. Yes or No? (and if not, would anything else need to be shown or provided for the "retirement extension"?)

3) If the answer to #1 above is no, and an "O-A" appears necessary, is it then always permissable to only have money in the States for this "O-A" visa? Yes or No? (and what must be shown or provided?)

Thank You for your help.

Petruchio

1) Yes, you can apply for your retirement extension in Thailand. It is an annual extension. It allows you to stay one year. If you want to leave during the year, apply for a seperate single or multiple entry PERMIT. If not, don't. To qualify for the extension based on what you said, go to the US embassy in Bangkok and get an income letter for immigration. If your income is over 65K per month this letter will qualify you. You will NOT need a medical or police form for this. If you were to use the bank account qualification methods, that money MUST be in a Thailand bank account. Some offices will require that you show at least a small THAI bank account even if qualifying based on the embassy income letter alone. The financial rules are INCOME LETTER or BANKED MONEY IN THAILAND (which must be seasoned) or a COMBINATION. You have enough income based on your statement, you will not need 800K IN Thailand. The key word here is OR.

2) Getting the extension based on retirement cancels the need for the O-A. There is a plethora of generic info on this board about applying for an extension based on retirement. I am too lazy to detail that for you myself, perhaps someone else will have the patience.

3) Irrelevant. You will not need an OA.

Edited by Jingthing

You can do it 2 ways.

!. Apply for a OA visa at the same consulate you have been using to get the multiple entry non-o's. For this you will only need to show proof of 65K per month income plus the police report and medical certificate. This link gives all the requirements plus link to medical certification form. http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/visa/Non-Imglong.aspx If you go this route I suggest you get the multiple entry visa because it will give you a total of almost 2 years stay here by leaving and re-entering just before it expires and getting another 1 year entry without getting an extension or a new visa.

2. The next time you come here (or now) using your current visa during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry apply for a 1 year extension of stay at immigration (you don't have to wait for your visa to expire). If you are not here now and your visa has already expired just get a single entry visa instead of a multiple. You wrote that the visa only gives you 4 entries which is not correct it will give you as many entries as you want and you can even make an entry the day before it expires and get another 90 day entry.

Requirements for extension. Go to the US embassy in Bangkok and get an income affidavit (1020 baht or $30) to prove your income of 65K per month which at todays rates is about $1970. You will not need to show anything more than your passport because you are making a sworn statement that what you have put on the affidavit is true and correct. You should get an appointment before you go to the embassy. Info here: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/acsappointment.html

You will not need the 800K in a Thai bank but some immigration offices will want to see a bank book as a backup to the income letter, It should show some transfers in and a small amount of money in the account.

When you go to immigration you will need copies of your passport photo page, visa page and entry/permit to stay page. Copy of TM6 departure card. You need to sign each copy. Complete a TM7 application form and attach one 4 X 6 centimeter photo.

On same day you get the extension apply for a multiple re-entry permit (3800 baht). You will need a completed TM8 form with a photo attached. This will allow you to leave and re-enter the country as many times as you want for the full length of your extension.

Edited by ubonjoe

If I get my usual 4 re-entry Non-Imm "O" visa in the States

Is this really a Non Imm O visa restricted to 4 entries -- or is it a multi-entry visa?

Also, what consulate do you use -- and what criteria do they require to issue your Non Imm O Visa?

Thanks.

This discussion regarding getting an O-A before arrival should not include those from the USA. It is my understanding, from others and from my own experience, that neither the Embassy in D.C. nor the Consulate in L.A. will issue a multi-entry O-A. Thus, the "free 2nd year" doesn't exist.

Well your understanding about the Embassy in D.C. is WRONG. I am on my third O-A Multiple from the Embassy in D.C. I will not comment on the Consulate in L.A. since I have never used it

As Jingthing says, everyone should use whatever method suits them. I spend 6 months in LOS, and 6 months in the US, so I find it easier to go to a mail box and handle everything by USPS than deal with the US Embassy in Bangkok for my income letter :)

Is this really a Non Imm O visa restricted to 4 entries -- or is it a multi-entry visa?

There is no such thing as a 4 entry Non-O visa. Think the poster means it is multi entry visa, and thinking 90 day permission to stay each time, do border run just before visa expires and stretch to 15 months (meaning 4 border runs during visa duration). But being multi entry means you could come and go every day if you really wanted to during the validity of the visa (or final 90 days permission to stay if hold multi entry re-entry permit) :) .

Edited by thaiphoon

Thank You for your help.

Petruchio

1) Yes, you can apply for your retirement extension in Thailand. It is an annual extension. It allows you to stay one year. If you want to leave during the year, apply for a seperate single or multiple entry PERMIT. If not, don't. To qualify for the extension based on what you said, go to the US embassy in Bangkok and get an income letter for immigration. If your income is over 65K per month this letter will qualify you. You will NOT need a medical or police form for this. If you were to use the bank account qualification methods, that money MUST be in a Thailand bank account. Some offices will require that you show at least a small THAI bank account even if qualifying based on the embassy income letter alone. The financial rules are INCOME LETTER or BANKED MONEY IN THAILAND (which must be seasoned) or a COMBINATION. You have enough income based on your statement, you will not need 800K IN Thailand. The key word here is OR.

2) Getting the extension based on retirement cancels the need for the O-A. There is a plethora of generic info on this board about applying for an extension based on retirement. I am too lazy to detail that for you myself, perhaps someone else will have the patience.

3) Irrelevant. You will not need an OA.

Thank you Sir!

Following the numbers I used and which you responded to;

1) OK I see that I can apply for the Non-Imm "O" in Thailand, and now understand that it is an annual extension of it, and that I can go and come as many times as I want to. Since I live near Chiang Rai, I would have hoped that I could go to Chiang Mae to the U. S. Consulate there for the purpose of the income letter for Thai Immigration (I usually go to the one in Mae Sai). Also I can show the small Thai bank account as you suggest. I think I have heard that the bank book is not enough, that you need a recent letter from the branch of the bank I use as well.

2) Is there a difference between a Non-Imm "O" and a "Retirement Visa?? (I have been stating on my Non-Imm "O" visa that I come to Thailand to research and write a book on Southeast Asia during the 60's and 70's). Is there a whole raft of other stuff I need to know and provide in order to apply for a one-year extension of my Non-Imm "O" visa based on "Retirement" - or do you mean I need it for a whole new category of visa called a "Retirement Visa"???

3) OK, understood that the "O-A" is not necessary and more trouble.

Would appreciate a little more clarification (I am dense you know).

You can do it 2 ways.

!. Apply for a OA visa at the same consulate you have been using to get the multiple entry non-o's. For this you will only need to show proof of 65K per month income plus the police report and medical certificate. This link gives all the requirements plus link to medical certification form. http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/visa/Non-Imglong.aspx If you go this route I suggest you get the multiple entry visa because it will give you a total of almost 2 years stay here by leaving and re-entering just before it expires and getting another 1 year entry without getting an extension or a new visa.

2. The next time you come here (or now) using your current visa during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry apply for a 1 year extension of stay at immigration (you don't have to wait for your visa to expire). If you are not here now and your visa has already expired just get a single entry visa instead of a multiple. You wrote that the visa only gives you 4 entries which is not correct it will give you as many entries as you want and you can even make an entry the day before it expires and get another 90 day entry.

Requirements for extension. Go to the US embassy in Bangkok and get an income affidavit (1020 baht or $30) to prove your income of 65K per month which at todays rates is about $1970. You will not need to show anything more than your passport because you are making a sworn statement that what you have put on the affidavit is true and correct. You should get an appointment before you go to the embassy. Info here: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/acsappointment.html

You will not need the 800K in a Thai bank but some immigration offices will want to see a bank book as a backup to the income letter, It should show some transfers in and a small amount of money in the account.

When you go to immigration you will need copies of your passport photo page, visa page and entry/permit to stay page. Copy of TM6 departure card. You need to sign each copy. Complete a TM7 application form and attach one 4 X 6 centimeter photo.

On same day you get the extension apply for a multiple re-entry permit (3800 baht). You will need a completed TM8 form with a photo attached. This will allow you to leave and re-enter the country as many times as you want for the full length of your extension.

Thank You!!

I am still a little confused as to the difference between a Non-Imm "O" visa and a "Retirement Visa" - if any, or is this just an extension of either the "O" or "O-A"?? I can go either way on this situation right now, because I am in the States.

That's OK. I will try to be concise (an effort for me).

1. Chiang Mai USA consulate can supply the income letter you need.

You can come and go, but you need to have reentry permit(s) to do so if you wish to preserve your annual permission to stay. These you apply and pay for optionally and separately from the extension application.

Thai bank account if qualifying with income letter. Not all Thai immigration require this. You will have to ask at your office specifically or try to get feedback from members here who use that office and are applying using the same qualification criteria. If they require it, yes you need a copy of your bank book and you need a very fresh letter from your bank. Sometimes only the home branch of your bank can supply this, which is a problem if you live in Isaan and opened the account in Phuket, for example.

2. Non O visa is a generic term for non-immigrant visa. Only the OA visa is a retirement visa. You will be starting with an O visa and applying for an extension to stay based on retirement in Thailand. Doing it this way, you will never have a retirement visa, and you will not need one either. In the US, you will be seeking a non immigrant O visa, not an OA visa. You will of course have to find a consulate to sell you one. Sometimes if you tell them or they can see you are retiring in Thailand, they won't give you one and inist that you apply for an OA.

Edited by Jingthing

Also, what consulate do you use -- and what criteria do they require to issue your Non Imm O Visa?

Thanks.

Thank you!

I have been getting a Non-Imm "O" and paying for four re-entries, (now US$175), whereas I could just be getting one re-entry. I use either the Honorary Consul in Montgomery, Alabama or the one in Atlanta, Ga., and their requirements are as listed on the website of the Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C. (for both the "O" and the "O-A").

If you have a consulate to get you an O (not an OA) why not just get a SINGLE entry? Then with 30 days left on the SINGLE entry you apply for the extension based on retirement. Then no more visa runs! Seems crazy to go for the multiple entry O if you plan to stay in Thailand. When you get your annual extension, if you plan to travel during that year, just apply for one or multiple reentry permits in Thailand at the same time you get your extension. That is the normal method here for long term retirees, you will get used to it.