Making A Wifi Connection Secure

phetaroi

While not a total novice, if I have a forte it's with software, not hardware. Not a geek or a nerd. So help!

We are getting connected to True later today. They strung a separate cable for us up here on Suk 24. Because we use two computers and because of the location in the apartment/condo, we are going wifi. What do we have to do to make that a relatively secure connection. I do internet banking between here and the US, so don't want too much of a risk.

Thanks

I am perhaps going to tell you something wrong

Yesterday I decide to do my WIFI security; I think someone was logging on my modem.

http://192.168.1.1/

http://192.168.1.1/setup.cgi?next_file=Status.htm

The original password are admin / admin … I did change the last one few month ago.

I went to wireless security / open to WPA personal and add a password

They have different security mode and different encryption, but I choose the most basic.

My laptop upstairs could not login without the password, now I think the neighbor will not be able to log on mine.

While not a total novice, if I have a forte it's with software, not hardware. Not a geek or a nerd. So help!

We are getting connected to True later today. They strung a separate cable for us up here on Suk 24. Because we use two computers and because of the location in the apartment/condo, we are going wifi. What do we have to do to make that a relatively secure connection. I do internet banking between here and the US, so don't want too much of a risk.

Thanks

besides a strong security you should be aware internet banking is transmitted via https:/ and has already a 128bit strong encryption. Its unlikely someone can intercept and decode that.

If you need extra protection you can use a firewall which offers

special security modes for online banking, i.e. Online Armor or Comodo WiFi security.

If you want to close the router/modem to all connections but you're 2 machines use the mentioned security methods but also in the set up for the router there should be a way to activate filtering what machines are allowed a connection using the MAC address of the PCs involved. No two machines have the same MAC id so when you configure the router to allow you're 2 PCs no others could possibly connect to the router.

* Use WPA encryption *with a long random key*

* Do not use WEP - it's broken.

* Don't forget to change the admin password on your router! It's best to disable admin access via wireless if you can.

No two machines have the same MAC id so when you configure the router to allow you're 2 PCs no others could possibly connect to the router.

It is easy to change your MAC address to anything you like, so this is no substitute for encryption.

1st of all your going to be setting up a secure wifi connection.

1. For purposes of all wifi routers the default login access is first usually a 192.168.1.1

2. username and password are usually very basic: If possible change the username & password on the router so no one else can get easy access to your router

3. For security encryption if your labtop wireless card allows it use WPA2. this is much more secure that WPA

4. if you get the chose of TKIP or AES encryption use AES

5. For what channel to set the wifi on this is also important because if someone has a router near you and you both manage to have the same channel for wifi this can wind up decreasing packets send to your labtop which results in slower internet speed due to interference. For results download netstumbler this will allow you to also see the level of encryption and channel of other routers. DO NOT USE WEP for security what so ever.

6. If you don't want anyone else knowing the name of your SSID or wifi connection name you can easily hide it.

This is not really a big deal but i'm a nerd most routers provided in thailand and most places are usually just 802.11G if you want better signal strenght, in the future make sure your labtop and router are Wireless N. Thanks what I'm using and results are better especially if using wifi around your house.

should you require more help just ask us.

* Use WPA encryption *with a long random key*

* Do not use WEP - it's broken.

* Don't forget to change the admin password on your router! It's best to disable admin access via wireless if you can.

No two machines have the same MAC id so when you configure the router to allow you're 2 PCs no others could possibly connect to the router.

It is easy to change your MAC address to anything you like, so this is no substitute for encryption.

Not being an expert on this MAC address. Maybe you can change the ID on the PC trying to connect but how on earth could anyone figure what the ID is for the permitted PCs? And I believe you can also set the router to block all other IDs.

The easy way is just to observe the MAC addresses of other machines broadcasting in the vicinity - odds are one of them is a permitted MAC. That's how people hook into the uni wireless system near my work. It will slow people down but it won't stop them. You can even force everyone to disassociate from the access point and then jump on with a borrowed MAC address, although that starts getting a bit fiddly.